BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

with the game now on the red button,will you still travel?

4 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

The televising of midweek games makes sense for those living far away as travel can be a nightmare in the UK. It will mean lower attendances but probably little difference to the clubs in terms of revenue with most regular fans having bought season tickets. 

I agree with philipl that nothing beats being at the game but QPR away on a Wednesday night means a full day off work and most likely an expensive nightmare journey.

One has to wonder if the decision to make mid week games away thise games in which travel is most difficult was not a pre cursor to help the tv company.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

No. The cheapest ST price is £350 (?). I doubt that knocking £150 off will see a 100% rise in sales. We would get a few thousand more.

Why are you so selective about parts of my posts, Phil? And on this occasion @Mattyblue as well.

If you are 24, it’s just gone from £350 to £99. That on its own would see a huge demographic growth.

43 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Oxford. The price was right and the game was of interest - which was the point. The weather and day/time obviously helped.

Why wait until the PL for £200 season tickets though? All that says is that local football fans would be along to watch the other PL teams.

Take a step back, ignore the Sky “brand-washing” and three-quarters of the PL sides are no more exciting than Championship clubs. The only difference is the top 6 teams (City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs, the latter being a recent entry). The rest you could rotate around the Championship. Aside from their history, Everton aren’t much more than a blue Aston Villa, and we are playing Villa this season.

Don’t wait, start selling £200 season tickets in the Championship. 10,000 at £400 or 20,000 at £200? It’s an obvious one surely - even allowing for concessions the revenue would be comparable. We would be opening the DE again before you know it!

Oh Stuart, your point is valid and correct but your numbers?  I can't see that we would double our sales, Premier league ST for 200 we might.  However apples to apples, I doubt 200 would encourage even a 50% increase.  Sadly the mind set at Rovers is that we have appx 10k hardcore fans who will plonk their hard earned on a ST so let's fleece  THEM for as much as we can.  

• Like 1

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I completely agree that prices being dropped would be a good thing. I said that in my original reply to you.

I do think there is an untapped market from 21-25 that we have priced out of football.

Those lads and lasses will absolutely be watching on the red button.

Totally agree on that, we must be one of the few remaining clubs that seem to be ignoring that demographic.

I’d love to see a stat on what percentage of kid season ticket holders stop going  when they reach adult prices - especially as many will now be expected to buy their own. A half way house price would go a long way to stopping that drop off.

41 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Totally agree on that, we must be one of the few remaining clubs that seem to be ignoring that demographic.

I’d love to see a stat on what percentage of kid season ticket holders stop going  when they reach adult prices - especially as many will now be expected to buy their own. A half way house price would go a long way to stopping that drop off.

Completely agree. I believe this was the main reason young person's travel cards (under 26) were brought in.

It's a massive shock when you hit 'adulthood' (be that 18 or 21) you still feel like a child, you often don't have any more income and then suddenly you have to pay double the price for everything.

Lost count of the times I tried (with some success) to blag child tickets when into my late teens - and that time I got on the train for half at aged 20. But it was all necessary.. .

There was no Candy Crush to occupy our time back then. We actually preferred to go out in the real world. . . But at great expense. .

Edited by Husky

@Stuart Are you sure clubs get extra cash if they appear on the Sky red button thing? I thought it was a concession to Sky and  included in the new Football League /sky deal?

Have not read anything regarding extra fees for clubs featured on the red button broadcast (obviously broadcast on one of the main sky channels as a featured match still generates extra fees) beside what they get under the new broadcasting deal, might have missed it though

Edited by perthblue02

On 01/09/2018 at 13:27, Stuart said:

It’s finding the price point. £199 for adults; £99 for under 25s; £49 for under 17s: free for under 8s.

You don’t think we’d shift 20k at those prices - even competing with the red button?

Its win-win for clubs. Red button cash - relative to viewers and full grounds.

It could be win win for everyone but sadly greed kills that possibility

Red button coverage is poor. Standard definition, one camera, no replays, no co-comms. It's a real budget offering that needs vastly improving to even being close to being a game-changer. 

And considering Sky have now lost La Liga along with the Champions League a few years back without a hint of a price reduction it's frankly insulting that the coverage of this is so poor and under-funded.

Edited by danger19_80
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Red button coverage is poor. Standard definition, one camera, no replays, no co-comms. It's a real budget offering that needs vastly improving to even being close to being a game-changer. 

And considering Sky have now lost La Liga along with the Champions League a few years back without a hint of a price reduction it's frankly insulting that the coverage of this is so poor and under-funded.

With Sky losing La Liga and Champions League their focus on the 'EFL' is only going to increase.

Their coverage is dreadful with sub-standard commentary and punditry geared more towards lavishing unnecessary praise on certain clubs who they love because they are poster boys for the competition - Leeds, Villa, Forest.

Red button coverage was dire yesterday, I got a headache watching the camera zoom around trying to find the ball.

Sky Sports are going to have to rethink their pricing, the loss of La Liga is a big one for me. I think after this season I will be cancelling my subscription and relying on match-passes for Rovers midweek games. I'm more interested in watching La Liga than the hyperbole saturated SUPER SUNDAY BEST GAME EVER offering each week.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

With Sky losing La Liga and Champions League their focus on the 'EFL' is only going to increase.

Their coverage is dreadful with sub-standard commentary and punditry geared more towards lavishing unnecessary praise on certain clubs who they love because they are poster boys for the competition - Leeds, Villa, Forest.

Totally. I cycle past a big billboard every day on my way to work which has a big advert for this seasons football on Sky. The 3 teams you mention are prominent on the advert. No sign of Rovers. The ad is of fans in their jerseys watching a TV. There is no doubt that Sky are biased towards those clubs. Is it simply down to them having more fans? 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Totally. I cycle past a big billboard every day on my way to work which has a big advert for this seasons football on Sky. The 3 teams you mention are prominent on the advert. No sign of Rovers. The ad is of fans in their jerseys watching a TV. There is no doubt that Sky are biased towards those clubs. Is it simply down to them having more fans? 

I don't think it is as simple as that. The likes of Norwich and Derby are well supported and regularly push 30,000 a week yet don't seem to get a fraction of the publicity.

I think Forest have more global profile with the Clough thing which Sky try to push to their audiences. Villa were a household Premier League name so there's probably still some residual interest in them outside the UK for the time being. Can't quite get the Leeds one but then again Sky did own a large chunk of Leeds not long since so perhaps it's something to do with that.

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Red button coverage was dire yesterday, I got a headache watching the camera zoom around trying to find the ball.

Sky Sports are going to have to rethink their pricing, the loss of La Liga is a big one for me. I think after this season I will be cancelling my subscription and relying on match-passes for Rovers midweek games. I'm more interested in watching La Liga than the hyperbole saturated SUPER SUNDAY BEST GAME EVER offering each week.

AND IT'S LIVE!.....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't think it is as simple as that. The likes of Norwich and Derby are well supported and regularly push 30,000 a week yet don't seem to get a fraction of the publicity.

I think Forest have more global profile with the Clough thing which Sky try to push to their audiences. Villa were a household Premier League name so there's probably still some residual interest in them outside the UK for the time being. Can't quite get the Leeds one but then again Sky did own a large chunk of Leeds not long since so perhaps it's something to do with that.

Would we not be bigger than them in this regard, having won the thing 

58 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Leeds pull in the ratings (relatively), saw a stat a few years ago that showed their games had considerably larger numbers of viewers than the rest in the Championship.

No surprise when you consider how many armchair Leeds fans there are across Yorkshire.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would we not be bigger than them in this regard, having won the thing 

In theory yes, but then again in theory we would be bigger than most in the Championship if Premier League performance and seasons was the main thing. Not many in this league who have not only won it but also been in it for nearly 20 years and been in the Champions League during that period. Sadly we're well down the list of 'preferred' clubs on Sky.

Always makes me smile to myself when we hear the relentless 'my club is massive, bigger than your club, we get x thousand a week turning up'. Usually we can associate that with clubs like Leeds, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham who despite being based in big cities have had nothing to shout about for 20-30 years so revert to banging on about their fanbases and 'size'. The funny part being that despite that theoretical/potential 'size' it has got them nowhere, infact we're moving further away from all the city clubs being in the top division as attendances and crowds become less relevant an in era of tv money and rich owners who offset gate receipts.

Real big clubs - Liverpool, United, Arsenal - don't need to tell people they are, Once big or potentially big but not at the moment, languishing for decades outside the top division whilst clubs like Bournemouth and Watford do well in the Premier League, need to cling to that 'status' to feel better about themselves.

• Like 2

Indeed JH, great examples of that are when you see Leeds and say Sheff Wednesday fans having massive willy waving contests in those ‘Away Day’ groups on social media.

’HA! only 3,000 to Wigan? Tinpot! We took 5,000 for a 7am kick off!’

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1