Jump to content

The Ryan Nyambe Appreciation Thread


Recommended Posts

This has been so obvious for over 12 months now, just following the Raya path almost to the letter.

Similarly there's been a few alleged itk on here occasionally pushing the old 'he's crap anyway' line.  I'd love a steady right back but the chances of that are remote to say the least. Bennett will get another 12 months and him and JRC will cover it and we'll continue to get caught out down there.

Aside from Todd Kane's early stint and Marshall briefly under Lambert when have we had anyone half as decent as Nyambie down there ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Knew Nyambe was still young, hadn't realised that he was still as young as 21! Easy to forget how well he started the season too. Rovers 25 & under XI looks pretty decent:              

Mowbray's treatment of Nyambe has been nothing short of disgusting. He has never liked the boy, presumably because he fills the only position Bennett can attempt to play. He absolutely devastated his

It's high time we signed Ryan up to a proper contract instead of that insultingly short one we signed him up to last year. 4 years please. The longer we wait the more his wage demands for it are

Posted Images

“How is his progression? I still think he’s got lots of growth still left in him. If he wants to be a top player then he’s got to keep the work ethic going, develop his game.”

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ryan Nyambe's work ethic. One of the absolute best at the club for it. I know technically TM could be interpreted as only saying his current work ethic needs to continue, but reading between the lines of TM's general treatment and comments about Nyambe, that's not the interpretation I'm seeing here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see where Nyambe goes next, as shit as it is that it wont be continuing here under a new manager.

I am not convinced that he will have Premier League suitors even as a prospect playing second fiddle to a more senior right back, and even a promotion chasing side at this level has a player like Aarons, Roberts, Dalsgaard, Femenia, Stacey, all a level above I would suggest. Maybe a move abroad may appeal to him? Such a shame that he wont be here on a long term deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Feed the Yak said:

I'm seriously annoyed with you all for getting the young boy at right back injured. Please just let Tony manage. 

🥴

He has some brass neck that bloke.

He has been calling him out for the last two years. Regularly dropping him and replacing him with inferior players as if to prove a point. Even with a striker two games ago!

Most right thinking fans have backed him.

Then he was completely dropped with the only explanation as ‘no reason’ and he ‘can’t pick every player’. Then recalls him and he ends up injured.

Now he blames Rovers fans.

What an utter charlatan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It will be interesting to see where Nyambe goes next, as shit as it is that it wont be continuing here under a new manager.

I am not convinced that he will have Premier League suitors even as a prospect playing second fiddle to a more senior right back, and even a promotion chasing side at this level has a player like Aarons, Roberts, Dalsgaard, Femenia, Stacey, all a level above I would suggest. Maybe a move abroad may appeal to him? Such a shame that he wont be here on a long term deal.

He has all the potential to be at least another Marcus Olsson possibly Martin, but even Marcus played over 150 Championship games between us and Derby.

Really needs to work for a manager who knows what he’s doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

He has all the potential to be at least another Marcus Olsson possibly Martin, but even Marcus played over 150 Championship games between us and Derby.

Really needs to work for a manager who knows what he’s doing.

The comparisons are interesting to be fair, Marcus had that one season where he (perhaps quite surprisingly) got player of the season but I suppose Nyambe could argue that his Championship record is not too disimilar at a young age, with plenty of scope for progression. Martin has Premier League and international record with a decent country so Nyambe has still plenty to do to get to that, although Martin was never a good defender.

The one thing we would need to concede that in the main, Nyambe has been the undisputed first choice right back in Mowbrays time here, and especially this season, he has developed noticeably on his game. I also do think that Nyambe has made mistakes lately. It is the constant lack of competent back up that has made him being dropped at any time counter productive and with the bizarre media comments, that is where the questions pile up.

I do wonder where he will go from here. Assuming a new manager was appointed, a mid table Championship club with aims of promotion as a first teamer could possibly be his limit at the moment, barring a move abroad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

The comparisons are interesting to be fair, Marcus had that one season where he (perhaps quite surprisingly) got player of the season but I suppose Nyambe could argue that his Championship record is not too disimilar at a young age, with plenty of scope for progression. Martin has Premier League and international record with a decent country so Nyambe has still plenty to do to get to that, although Martin was never a good defender.

The one thing we would need to concede that in the main, Nyambe has been the undisputed first choice right back in Mowbrays time here, and especially this season, he has developed noticeably on his game. I also do think that Nyambe has made mistakes lately. It is the constant lack of competent back up that has made him being dropped at any time counter productive and with the bizarre media comments, that is where the questions pile up.

I do wonder where he will go from here. Assuming a new manager was appointed, a mid table Championship club with aims of promotion as a first teamer could possibly be his limit at the moment, barring a move abroad. 

He's never been looked after from a medical point of view either. We've known from his early days that he's prone to soft tissue injuries but nothing seems to have been done about it apart from leaving him out of the team from time to time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The comparisons are interesting to be fair, Marcus had that one season where he (perhaps quite surprisingly) got player of the season but I suppose Nyambe could argue that his Championship record is not too disimilar at a young age, with plenty of scope for progression. Martin has Premier League and international record with a decent country so Nyambe has still plenty to do to get to that, although Martin was never a good defender.

The one thing we would need to concede that in the main, Nyambe has been the undisputed first choice right back in Mowbrays time here, and especially this season, he has developed noticeably on his game. I also do think that Nyambe has made mistakes lately. It is the constant lack of competent back up that has made him being dropped at any time counter productive and with the bizarre media comments, that is where the questions pile up.

I do wonder where he will go from here. Assuming a new manager was appointed, a mid table Championship club with aims of promotion as a first teamer could possibly be his limit at the moment, barring a move abroad. 

I wish Mowbray would have backed him like he backed Armstrong. A settled back for is what successful teams are built on. Instead he has chopped and changed and recruited badly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I wish Mowbray would have backed him like he backed Armstrong. A settled back for is what successful teams are built on. Instead he has chopped and changed and recruited badly.

To be fair, Armstrong was played in the wrong position for a year and a half, and upon that change scored so many goals. 

Being part of an unsettled defence wont have helped as you say, plus we only have heard the positives of why Bennett has been put in, and why Nyambe has been dropped. That might be circumstantial in that the reactions cause Mowbray to feel like he needs to justify Nyambe being dropped, but had he simply said this week for example that Nyambe was taken out in fear of over excursion due to injury, it wouldnt have caused a shit storm.

Raya was criticised because he did make a number of errors, and Nyambe lately has made mistakes, so in a way the criticisms are justified, but specifically in dealing with young players, it is not wise man management.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice article on Nyambe in The Athletic this morning: https://theathletic.com/2398736/2021/02/26/nyambe-id-sleep-at-a-friends-and-a-snake-would-be-slithering-across-the-floor/ (usual disclaimer that it's behind a paywall! Sorry... not sure if The Athletic allows for reading a couple articles before subscribing or not)

Oddly doesn't touch on his ongoing contract situation. Can't help but feel this was partially arranged by his agent to turn up the heat/get his client some notice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a shop window piece I would imagine, the timing makes that obvious.

I’ve long thought he’ll end up at a Bournemouth or Brentford in summer but wish him all the best wherever he goes 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really sure we could blame him if he decided to leave on a free.

You've just got to hope that he the rumours of a 1 year trigger to his contract is available (in our favour) and that next season we have a new management structure

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Nyambe has not been released by Rovers to play for Namibia in the 28th March African Cup of Nations qualifying fixture in Namibia against Guinea. The reason given is that Namibia is on the UK's 'red list' and would have to self-isolate for 10 days on return, thereby missing a number of Rovers fixtures.

Would anyone who is more familiar with this area explain to me a few things:

- Why is Namibia on the red list when their current daily new Covid cases is around 300, whilst, Serbia, where Ireland and Darragh Lenihan will travel to, has figures around 4,000? Is the government taking into consideration other factors when making these judgments?

- Doesn't the elite sportsperson exception to self-isolation apply here - where Nyambe could stay in separate accommodate and travel to matches on his own?

This is not a criticism or judgment (at the moment!) because I am not familiar at all with the details of Covid freedom of movement rules in the UK, so would be grateful for anyone to fill me in on these issues.

Edited by riverholmes
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also that Namibia has a 2.7 million population, whilst Serbia has 6.9 million. So if you make it new cases per population it adjusts the difference between them a bit (still worse in Serbia though if your figures were right).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your replies. From what I can tell, the elite sports person exemption for self-isolation on overseas return doesn't apply to 'red list' countries. So, Nyambe would, it seems, have to follow that and miss games if he travelled to Namibia to play in Sunday's qualifier against Guinea.

I read that in France, Ligue 1 and 2 clubs have jointly decided to bar release of players for international duty, if they would have to self-isolate for more than 5 days on return. Due to the nature of Frances 'red list,' the effect has been called discriminatory, with for example, Senegal having called up 12 players from the French leagues.

The Senegalese FA have said: "it seems to highlight the totally discriminatory nature of this measure with regard to the statutory provisions and FIFA regulations and European legislation on equality and contractual freedom for players.”

The French players union, UNFP, called on the French government to relax quarantine rules for players from outside of Europe: Saying - “It understands their distress and shares their anger. These decisions show a discrimination that the French state cannot continue to bear and which it must get rid of as soon as possible.

"Beyond the values of equality, on which the very foundations of the Republic are based, it is also a question of fairness in competitions.”

In the UK, clubs are deciding individually - with a number of Premier League players set to feature for African countries, including Diallo, Salah, Aurier, Zaha, Bailly, Boly and Pepe. I don't know how many of them are heading to 'red list' countries and if so, how many fixtures they'd miss if they have to self-isolate.

The government list does seem harsh on, for example, Namibia, who, have had around 500 Covid deaths in total (compared to South Africa's some 50,000). There is a very big population difference between Namibia and others, but it seems that the risk is much lower there. I think the government take into account new strain research and vaccination progress in the country, so that could also be a factor as to why the list is made up of mainly developing nations

That said, with France, Poland and Italy, amongst countries introducing new lockdowns - and, Serbia, where Ireland are playing, seeing a sharp rise in cases, some of these African countries clearly are managing and experiencing less transmission. I've not read of grave doubts about statistics coming out of these countries, so I presume, we can take them as relatively accurate.

 

Edited by riverholmes
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Thanks for your replies. From what I can tell, the elite sports person exemption for self-isolation on overseas return doesn't apply to 'red list' countries. So, Nyambe would, it seems, have to follow that and miss games if he travelled to Namibia to play in Sunday's qualifier against Guinea.

I read that in France, Ligue 1 and 2 clubs have jointly decided to bar release of players for international duty, if they would have to self-isolate for more than 5 days on return. Due to the nature of Frances 'red list,' the effect has been called discriminatory, with for example, Senegal having called up 12 players from the French leagues.

The Senegalese FA have said: "it seems to highlight the totally discriminatory nature of this measure with regard to the statutory provisions and FIFA regulations and European legislation on equality and contractual freedom for players.”

The French players union, UNFP, called on the French government to relax quarantine rules for players from outside of Europe: Saying - “It understands their distress and shares their anger. These decisions show a discrimination that the French state cannot continue to bear and which it must get rid of as soon as possible.

"Beyond the values of equality, on which the very foundations of the Republic are based, it is also a question of fairness in competitions.”

In the UK, clubs are deciding individually - with a number of Premier League players set to feature for African countries, including Diallo, Salah, Aurier, Zaha, Bailly, Boly and Pepe. I don't know how many of them are heading to 'red list' countries and if so, how many fixtures they'd miss if they have to self-isolate.

The government list does seem harsh on, for example, Namibia, who, have had around 500 Covid deaths in total (compared to South Africa's some 50,000). There is a very big population difference between Namibia and others, but it seems that the risk is much lower there. I think the government take into account new strain research and vaccination progress in the country, so that could also be a factor as to why the list is made up of mainly developing nations

That said, with France, Poland and Italy, amongst countries introducing new lockdowns - and, Serbia, where Ireland are playing, seeing a sharp rise in cases, some of these African countries clearly are managing and experiencing less transmission. I've not read of grave doubts about statistics coming out of these countries, so I presume, we can take them as relatively accurate.

 

I do wonder if it has something to do with poor testing, tracing and reporting, personally. Quite a few African countries unfortunately haven't taken it very seriously and don't have the same infrastructure and resources. It wouldn't surprise me if we just don't trust the numbers and/or precautions in some countries so they go on the red list. Or we may have concerns over the prevalent strains there. Especially if a country isnt really keeping tabs on which actual strains their positive tests are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Shows that you can use stats and video clips to prove any point you want really, I think that reflects unfairly on Nyambe.

JRCs stats benefit alot from our early season form before teams figured us out and we were hammering newbies with 10 men. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Shows that you can use stats and video clips to prove any point you want really, I think that reflects unfairly on Nyambe.

Whilst I find some bits and bobs interesting I don’t subscribe to the full statto thing that’s all the rage these days. Football isn’t like American football where everything is stats based on yards etc.

 

Nyambe does so much that stats can’t pick up, his drive often can turn ambling midfield possession into attack and his running wins lots of corners (granted we are shocking from them)

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tom said:

Whilst I find some bits and bobs interesting I don’t subscribe to the full statto thing that’s all the rage these days. Football isn’t like American football where everything is stats based on yards etc.

 

Nyambe does so much that stats can’t pick up, his drive often can turn ambling midfield possession into attack and his running wins lots of corners (granted we are shocking from them)

Definitely agree, they have limited use. I think that Nyambe is a better defender one on one, how do you statistically prove or disprove that though?

Rankin Costello is definitely a better crosser as Nyambes crossing is poor but there are more ways to skin a cat and he has learnt how to get past full backs and his assists which in the past were absent tend to be pull backs rather than crosses. Mind you with the weird tactics that Mowbray plays, is crossing even a useful skill to have? 

I dont think either are amongst the top right backs in the league but Nyambe is definitely ahead of me, Rankin Costello has a lot of good points to his game but I think I would like to see him further forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They both have qualities that if you could merge them into one player would make him a PL level fullback.

Nyambe has pace, strength, the ability to beat a man 1v1 and is obviously the much better defender. Unfortunately, although he has improved with his final ball/crossing, he still isnt very good. In fact, his range of passing all together is quite lacking. Always on the floor, always short distances - have you ever seen Nyambe play a crossfield pass? Even his crosses are generally just hit hard along the ground or pulled back (though he may be instructed to do that).

As for JRC, he is quite the opposite. Good passing range, more creative, has good positional awareness and can put good deliveries into the box. He is more vocal too (remember seeing him shout at Gallgher "stop losing the fucking ball!"). He lacks the physicality and pace which makes it difficult to take on other players 1 v 1. His lack of defensive qualities often means he is usually skinned by quick wingers/wide forwards.

For me, I like defenders that can defend over anything else so it is Nyambe for me. For JRC, its difficult to know where best to play him and I guess that is why he is a bit of a utility man. Perhaps in the middle somewhere but then you lose his crossing ability. Wide right? Cant be much worse than Gallagher.

Edited by JacknOry
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2021 at 20:53, JacknOry said:

JRCs stats benefit alot from our early season form before teams figured us out and we were hammering newbies with 10 men. 

You're assuming that our good form around that time was just a happy coincidence for Joe Rankin-Costello, but have you considered that perhaps its a causation rather than correlation?

JRC has 1317 minutes played in 2020/21 for Rovers. Ryan Nyambe has 2623 in the same time period. I think with over 3900 minutes between them on the field we have enough game time to analyse their Per 90 Minute data with confidence that we're not using a weak sample. If JRC had played in 5 matches and his data looked great, you could very fairly notch that down to the data sample being skewed. But with both of them at over 1000 minutes I think you have a very fair sample of data to start comparing Ryan and Joe.

Per 90 data shows us that the two players are wholly different, and I think they both have their place in a squad in this division

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.