BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Ryan Nyambe Appreciation Thread

I think Nyambe and his agent are looking for him to leave Rovers in order to advance his career. He needs to join a club that will coach him better. I think that once he leaves Rovers we will see a faster development of his game and a much better player than he would have achieved staying here.

If he goes to Man Utd he could be warming the bench forever. If he goes to (e.g.) Brentford or Norwich City, he could improve his game no end.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JoeH said:

You're assuming that our good form around that time was just a happy coincidence for Joe Rankin-Costello, but have you considered that perhaps its a causation rather than correlation?

JRC has 1317 minutes played in 2020/21 for Rovers. Ryan Nyambe has 2623 in the same time period. I think with over 3900 minutes between them on the field we have enough game time to analyse their Per 90 Minute data with confidence that we're not using a weak sample. If JRC had played in 5 matches and his data looked great, you could very fairly notch that down to the data sample being skewed. But with both of them at over 1000 minutes I think you have a very fair sample of data to start comparing Ryan and Joe.

Per 90 data shows us that the two players are wholly different, and I think they both have their place in a squad in this division

So you're saying JRC is so good that had he not been injured we would be top 6 now?

Yes it was a coincidence. Ouyr high pressing style early on got us a load of goals until teams figured out how to handle it. JRC was not the causation as to why we hammered newly promoted teams with 10 men - as much as you would like it to be.

Take out those early matches and i think you will find JRCs stats are nowhere near as impressive. If nyambe had played against Coventry and Wycombe with 10 men at the start of the season, there would be no discussion of who was the better option for FB.

This is where data fails. Jason Lowe got a career because of data - tells you all you need to know.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

If nyambe had played against Coventry and Wycombe with 10 men at the start of the season, there would be no discussion of who was the better option for FB.

Indeed, and there wouldn’t be a discussion at all if Mowbray didn’t have a strange issue with Nyambe. If Nyambe had been playing every game and putting in his usual levels of performance then I don’t think the RB position would be a talking point at all. 

I know we can trigger an extension (which surely would have been done by now if he was going to stay) but I wouldn’t blame Nyambe and his agent for looking elsewhere. He’s better than sitting on the bench for a team 15th in the Championship and being messed around by Tony Mowbray.

• Like 5

On 28/03/2021 at 05:43, JacknOry said:

Take out those early matches and i think you will find JRCs stats are nowhere near as impressive. If nyambe had played against Coventry and Wycombe with 10 men at the start of the season, there would be no discussion of who was the better option for FB.

And take out some of the wins that Ryan Nyambe has featured in and his stats would fall down. This argument makes no sense.

Personally I would play Nyambe at right back and JRC at right wing. At the same time. I must admit I do like partnerships : fullbacks and wingers, two centerhalves, two central midfielders, two central forwards.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, JoeH said:

And take out some of the wins that Ryan Nyambe has featured in and his stats would fall down. This argument makes no sense.

Neither does yours. You are suggesting our early firm was down to JRC.

Nothing to do with a new style of play that wasnt figured out yet and against the poorest sides in the division, with 10 men.

Had Nyambe played, his stats would be boosted in the same way. So, JRCs stats are heavily padded by those fixtures.

52 minutes ago, rigger said:

Personally I would play Nyambe at right back and JRC at right wing. At the same time. I must admit I do like partnerships : fullbacks and wingers, two centerhalves, two central midfielders, two central forwards.

Our mon would only do that if the oppositions left back had good forward running stats.

Another day nearer to our academy prospect leaving us. I hope we can get a fee for him somehow. Always like him as a player, sure he has his flaws, makes some silly decisions and positions, but who can we replace him with in this league without spending money. Of course, theres JRC to provide competition but still unsure if JRC's the RB we need down the road.

1 hour ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Another day nearer to our academy prospect leaving us. I hope we can get a fee for him somehow. Always like him as a player, sure he has his flaws, makes some silly decisions and positions, but who can we replace him with in this league without spending money. Of course, theres JRC to provide competition but still unsure if JRC's the RB we need down the road.

Pike.

• 10 months later...

Thought it better to resurrect this thread than go off topic in the match one…

Nyambe getting subbed off last night was stupid, and lo and behold, when it happens we conceded. Admittedly, I’m a big fan of his and I wanted to check my theory that we are much weaker defensively without him.

Clean sheets with Nyambe: 13

Clean sheets without Nyambe: 0

Average minutes per goal conceded with Nyambe: 114

Average minutes per goal conceded without Nyambe: 54

We also have a much higher points per game when he plays than when he doesn’t. In the 19-20 season the difference was enough to theoretically put us in the top 6… but Bennett was preferred for the first quarter of a season.

There’s far too much talk about his attacking limitations (our attackers attacking limitations are the issue) and not enough credit for his overall performances and defensive importance in my opinion.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Thought it better to resurrect this thread than go off topic in the match one…

Nyambe getting subbed off last night was stupid, and lo and behold, when it happens we conceded. Admittedly, I’m a big fan of his and I wanted to check my theory that we are much weaker defensively without him.

Clean sheets with Nyambe: 13

Clean sheets without Nyambe: 0

Average minutes per goal conceded with Nyambe: 114

Average minutes per goal conceded without Nyambe: 54

We also have a much higher points per game when he plays than when he doesn’t. In the 19-20 season the difference was enough to theoretically put us in the top 6… but Bennett was preferred for the first quarter of a season.

There’s far too much talk about his attacking limitations (our attackers attacking limitations are the issue) and not enough credit for his overall performances and defensive importance in my opinion.

I like Nyambe a lot as a defender but when your opponents go down to ten men you can’t persist with playing five at the back. Somebody has to go off and logic suggests the players who are least likely to bring you a goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I like Nyambe a lot as a defender but when your opponents go down to ten men you can’t persist with playing five at the back. Somebody has to go off and logic suggests the players who are least likely to bring you a goal.

To me it is not five at the back. It is three at the back with two wing-backs flanking the midfield. Ideal against ten men. If the five in midfield know what to do. This should be another thing that is worked on in training. But our poor results would seem to tell a different story.

• Like 2

Just now, rigger said:

To me it is not five at the back. It is three at the back with two wing-backs flanking the midfield. Ideal against ten men. If the five in midfield know what to do. This should be another thing that is worked on in training. But our poor results would seem to tell a different story.

So you’ve got three centre backs marking one striker ? That’s even if they play with a striker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

So you’ve got three centre backs marking one striker ? That’s even if they play with a striker.

Yes thats the idea of playing three at the back. They also feed across to cover whichever of the wing-backs are furthest forward. It is not so much about what the opposition do, but that everyone in our team are in the correct positions and know what is expected of them. The turning point of the game was missing the penalty, not the fact we had three centerhalves marking their forward line.

4 hours ago, Miller11 said:

He needed subbing off sooner, awful last night.  BUT that's massively down to Mowbray and the team trying to use him as an offensive outlet.  There's no question he can defend.