BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

Just now, K-Hod said:

I still don’t know why everyone loses their mind about the actual attendance versus the announced hate.

It’s tickets sold, has been like that for ages...

Arsenal and United two of the biggest guilty parties. Frequently thousands of empty seats especially in cup games yet announce full houses.

9 hours ago, Stuart said:

Woah woah woah. Poor post? I stand by that fact that Wigan have a set of scrotes who follow them on cheap tickets. Paul turned that into a barb against Rovers fans.

No Stuart you said "it will attract a lot of scrotes." You didn't make clear it's only Wigan fans you define as scrotes. The wording of your post and that this is a thread about Rovers attendances suggested to me you were commenting about home support or at the least both sets of fans.

I'm not turning anything in to a barb. I'm merely pointing out we have fans who don't want a certain type of person, a scrote, at Ewood. We have other fans who object to wealthy, privileged ST holders. This leaves me to wonder just who a section of our support would deem welcome at Ewood?

The bulk of our fan base is ST holders, the wealthy and privileged. A joke of a definition given the demographic which is so frequently used to illustrate the issues around ticket prices.

What it all boils down to is the club can't do right for doing wrong with a section of our support. Something you have perfectly illustrated by your concern it will attract a lot of scrotes.

Balance went out of the window a long time ago.

Edited by Paul

9 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

Think he thinks the Oxford crowd likely to turn up for the Wigan game? Not a chance. Strange comparison if intended.

Not at all. I was interested to understand why for Wigan at £10 we get scrotes while against Oxford the match is held up as a beacon for what can be achieved with low pricing. Given the behaviour at the Oxford game I'm left wondering.

As above, and to answer your earlier question, it comes down to the fact that for some fans the club can do nothing right even when the club does precisely what fans have been calling for.

It leaves me wondering what on Earth people expect. Some are never going to be happy.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

We want bigger crowds so lets not bother about a few so called scrotes from Wigan. Honestly moaning about the Burnley U23 game being restricted then worrying about cheap tickets versus Wigan of all people, i give up !

Let the people who are paid to deal with them deal with them in the unlikely event they actually turn up.  Nothing screams small time more than worrying about the likes of Wiggin come on lads.

Just now, Paul said:

Not at all. I was interested to understand why for Wigan at £10 we get scrotes while against Oxford the match is held up as a beacon for what can be achieved with low pricing. Given the behaviour at the Oxford game I'm left wondering.

As above, and to answer your earlier question, it comes down to the fact that for some fans the club can do nothing right even when the club does precisely what fans have been calling for.

It leaves me wondering what on Earth people expect. Some are never going to be happy.

Oxford game was full of scrotes from Rovers (everyone who went on the pitch).

We have spent the last 2 years complaining they should be doing £10 everywhere. Now it's finally here we have to shut our gobs (me included), get tickets and show Waggott that we were right all along.

It's a night match in winter with red button but no school.

Oxford was a sunny afternoon promotion party.

(Although when tickets were being bought the weather wasn't known).

If we can get 17 - 18 K on, in the circumstances, it will be a win to the fans. Point proven.

If we only get 12K on (including Wigan fans) then it will be a win to Waggott. Myth dispelled.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Paul said:

No Stuart you said "it will attract a lot of scrotes." You didn't make clear it's only Wigan fans you define as scrotes. The wording of your post and that this is a thread about Rovers attendances suggested to me you were commenting about home support or at the least both sets of fans.

I'm not turning anything in to a barb. I'm merely pointing out we have fans who don't want a certain type of person, a scrote, at Ewood. We have other fans who object to wealthy, privileged ST holders. This leaves me to wonder just who a section of our support would deem welcome at Ewood?

The bulk of our fan base is ST holders, the wealthy and privileged. A joke of a definition given the demographic which is so frequently used to illustrate the issues around ticket prices.

What it all boils down to is the club can't do right for doing wrong with a section of our support. Something you have perfectly illustrated by your concern it will attract a lot of scrotes.

Balance went out of the window a long time ago.

Don’t you dare, Paul. 

My post quite clearly said “My only worry with picking the Wigan game is ...”

10 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I still don’t know why everyone loses their mind about the actual attendance versus the announced hate.

It’s tickets sold, has been like that for ages...

Correct K-Hod.  It goes back to the eighties.  In fact Rovers came to that particular party rather late.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

It's a night match in winter with red button but no school.

It's not red button, it's on main Sky channel.

In fact, at the moment, we are the ONLY football match that can be watched that day. 

No La Liga, no Serie A, no outer Mongolia division 2 on Eurosport. 

And with a lot of people off work already, sat twiddling their thumbs, it could well be the TV viewing figures will be the highest we've had since the Premier League days.

Probably why the club has put this offer on. Not as a great Xmas deal for the fans to come to a local derby, but so it doesn't look awful on TV with large numbers round the World watching. 

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

My only worry with picking the Wigan game is that it will attract a lot of scrotes.

That's what you wrote Stuart. You may well have meant that they would be Wigan fans but given it was made on a thread about Rovers attendances it's not unreasonable that posters, including me, assumed that you meant scrotes from both teams or even just our own scrotes. And we have plenty, as anyone who has been to some local away games can verify.

3 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

If we can get 17 - 18 K on, in the circumstances, it will be a win to the fans. Point proven.

If we only get 12K on (including Wigan fans) then it will be a win to Waggott. Myth dispelled.

Nothing dispelled. 

Many of us have said make it an appealing game. 3pm on a Saturday with a club that will bring a big following. Not a lunchtime kick off or a midweek match. , especially one right before Christmas.

Had we been doing this offer Boxing Day I would have put money on a crowd over 18,000. 

As it stands, if I am stuck at work late that day then I will probably watch it on the box when I get home and I have a season ticket !!

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Our final home game in the relegation season was £10. Danny Graham winner kept us alive for Brentford - so a properly vital game.

It was a 3pm kick off, nice day, and it only attracted about 14k home fans (with a sold out Darwen End by Villa). Still plenty more than we were attracting generally that season - Coyle induced drop in crowds, but no Oxford.

So, I'm not holding out much hope for a Sky night match in December. 

• Like 1

The point is that the club knows or bloody well should know that if they don't reduce prices for this one then the crowd will be dreadful. 

That's the way it is going across this league with midweek televised matches regardless of ticket prices. I watched some of Millwall v Wigan on Tuesday and I reckon less than 7000 on. Reading looked to have about the same against Leeds.

Clubs have to do something to address this.

It isn't cynical to point this out. It will not attract a massive crowd because it is a tv night game. You could give tickets away for free and plenty won't bother due to it being the day before Xmas eve. Last minute shopping, doing stuff with the kids, travelling, finishing work for Xmas.

The £10 offer might put a thousand or two on and see an extra thousand Wigan fans come but I think 15000 is optimistic. Hopefully I'll be wrong on that.

The Birmingham one is a different kettle of fish. Afternoon match, not on tv, people looking for something to do. That could have been a 20,000 day if pushed and marketed. Big club may well have brought 4000 at a tenner. 

• Like 2

Brums followings are always hard to call they've fluctuated up here a lot down the years but being a big city club they are obviously capable of big turn outs.  I think it's quite a tradition with them to have a big following or home crowd on boxing day whatever their form so wouldn't be surprised if they pitch up here with 3 to 4k anyway this time.

39 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

You are already counted in the attendance figure. 8600 starting point.

My point being if it is a game I can't get motivated to go out my why to attend, and I've paid for a ticket, it's not likely to attract the floating fan we are aiming for. 

Boxing day is always a good day out. I'm away for Christmas but coming back early enough to get to Ewood. We could have had a proper crowd on had it been done on then.

Wigan on a Monday night live on Sky is not an attractive game,.

All I, and others, have been saying many times is try it for a decent fixture on a Saturday afternoon. We never do.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1