BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

Arent we already offer good prices for young adults? 

53 minutes ago, Hasta said:

For more substantial gains it needs an idea like this one , to be implemented as it would hopefully slow the non-renewals of season tickets and keep the people who do tend games now and again coming more often. The club could be safe or ultra aggressive depending how they priced this.

I endorsed this idea when you posted it. 

55 minutes ago, Hasta said:

You are asking people to show commitment who have already turned down showing commitment twice this season - and ignoring the fact at least 2 of the 6 games are on TV.  They aren't committed so are not going to tie themselves down for 6 dates between now and May. 

The Stoke game is on tv. What other game will be on TV? 

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Wigan and Forest were both night games, we drew with Wigan 0-0 and drew with Forest 1-1, so we didn't win them all,

Well that's a ridiculous question, of course everyone would want to go to Wembley, it would be a special occasion.

Are you saying that the people who pick and choose there games and don't take up a £100 six game bundle shouldn't be at Wembley if we got there?

Well if people who are staying away "out of principle" decide that they want to go to the play-offs because its a "special occasion" well fair play to them for packing their principles up and putting them away for a few games. 

Chaddy - I’m talking about a singing section, look at the make up of singing sections at Huddersfield/Reading/Bristol City/Palace predominantly young adults (yes I know you wouldn’t be part of it, you sit in your seat at 2pm, chat to your pals etc, but try and think of others for once)

Edited by Mattyblue

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well if people who are staying away "out of principle" decide that they want to go to the play-offs because its a "special occasion" well fair play to them for packing their principles up and putting them away for a few games. 

Very few are staying away out of principle.

We are talking about floating fans, some go semi-regularly, some go every now and then, to the ones that would go to a special occasion - fanbases are made up of many type of fan.

That’s why clubs with crowds of 10,000 take 30/40,000 to Wembley.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

We are talking about floating fans that go every now and then, to the ones that would go to a special occasion - fanbases are made up of many type of fan.

I see a few on here say they are staying away out of principle. Of course people can decide themselves at the end of the day. We call going for the semis if you haven't gone to earlier games "jumping on the bandwagon" , happens a lot with Munster in the rugby. 

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

We are talking about floating fans that go every now and then, to the ones that would go to a special occasion - fanbases are made up of many type of fan.

Just the way it goes. Due to work and location I maybe get to 10-15% of games a season, mainly away.

Get to Wembley and I’m there like a tramp on chips.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I see a few on here say they are staying away out of principle. Of course people can decide themselves at the end of the day. We call going for the semis if you haven't gone to earlier games "jumping on the bandwagon" , happens a lot with Munster in the rugby. 

A ‘few’ are, but in the grand scheme of things the numbers of actual boycotters is small. 

Of course loads jump on the bandwagon, that’s football.

In 1987 we had average crowds of under 10,000, we took 30,000 to Wembley for the Full Members Cup. Similar in ‘92 for the play off final. 30,000 to Cardiff in 2002, 25,000 to Old Trafford for the FA Cup semi in 2007.

Edited by Mattyblue

45 minutes ago, tomphil said:

A trick was missed after promotion and what we see now is a bit of collateral damage from that. 'Strike whilst the iron is hot' and 'Make hay whilst the sun shines'  are old saying for a good reason.

The only real way to increase crowds and sustain it in the present situation is, as has been said a dozen times on here, season tickets !

Finish the season strongly, make a statement of intent for next season, quit the shoulder shrugging and false bravado and deliver a couple of bold signings. Try to keep what we have but don't go over old ground with tried and tested plodders and new contracts, get rid and put the money to better use. If there is an inevitable big sale leave it at that, re-invest as much as possible....

Then, the big one, make a real bold effort on cheap ST's, start pitching them before the end of this season if possible. Bite the bullet and aim to get 2 or 3 thousand back into the fold.  When you get them back you can work on keeping them instead of futile attempts through the season to lure people back to what's mostly been a midtable grind.

You seem to be suggesting that transfers in and out should in part be determined by what someone thinks the impact on season ticket sales might be. I don't think any serious football manager would countenance that. I remember Aston Villa signing David Ginola because Doug Ellis thought there would be a pick up in ticket sales as a result - it didn't work out on the pitch at all.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn’t judge this site as a sample size tbh.

If we got to Wembley we’d take more than the capacity of Ewood, you’d better believe that!

I’m sure you’d be there yourself, as would many fans from overseas!

4 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Surely it’s both? Do you propose slashing prices to £5 a game on a regular basis? At some stage, the club has to consider making a profit. Would you prefer dirt cheap season/match day tickets and an additional 3/4K fans per week but the club slides into even greater debt? 

It’s a very difficult balance to strike. The truth of it is that, in football terms, our tickets are cheap in comparison to other clubs. We struggle because Blackburn is not an affluent area and there are a number of league clubs within a 20 mile radius. I don’t know what the solution is but I’m not pretending that the simple answer is to keep making the tickets cheaper. 

Yes, regular £5 tickets offers - 4 per season, and £199/£239 lowest season tickets - early bird, £299/£349 standard. Get them shifted.

Increase attendances.

The only thing that is going to save us is promotion. Making an extra couple of thousand won’t dent wages, let alone buy players. Sadly we are reliant on Venkys for that.

A better atmosphere will contribute to that.

Anyone who thinks we will have a sustainable club with the current pricing model and sub-10k ST holders is in denial.

Waggott seems to think the product he is selling is of value but this is a buyers market and they will dictate value. Where are the players or playing style to excite the money out of fans’ pockets? £12m could have gone some way to bringing in some gems - if we had the right people in place.

If Venkys were not here, I would have a completely different view on this, btw. Sadly, without promotion, if Venkys do get frustrated or bored, that means a Bolton or even Bury future.

49 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You seem to be suggesting that transfers in and out should in part be determined by what someone thinks the impact on season ticket sales might be. I don't think any serious football manager would countenance that. I remember Aston Villa signing David Ginola because Doug Ellis thought there would be a pick up in ticket sales as a result - it didn't work out on the pitch at all.

I'm not seeming to suggest anything other than the only way to increase crowds at Ewood in this climate is a significant ST price reduction. Coupled with a serious sales push which in no small turn would be helped by an ambitious approach to recruitment although doesn't totally depend on that.

44 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Easter Monday red button unless it's changed from last year?

Easter Monday last season we played Bolton and it wasn't on the red button.

The club can choose whether they want additional games screening on the red button that aren't traditional midweek match days.

The QPR game for instance, was a Saturday game rearranged for a Tuesday night, so the club decided against putting it on the red button.

Boxing day this season, we weren't on the red button but numerous other clubs were, yet away against Hudds and Forest were both on the red button because the home club allowed it,

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

Not sure exactly how it would work logistically but a weekend season ticket would suit me and many others I know. I simply can't make many mid week games because of work and family commitments. It's not an excuse it's a fact.

That's circa 8 games potentially missed by the end of the season I think. I have still made a few but after a mad rush! What use is a season ticket to people like this now that we know we can get a match ticket for any game we fancy without issue.

I think the club has rejected it as an idea as they’ve pretty much admitted a shed load wouldn’t then buy full STs, just a weekend one, and we’d be down to the kind of bums on seats we saw against Hull, but as an official crowd with the revenue decline that goes with it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Not sure exactly how it would work logistically but a weekend season ticket would suit me and many others I know. I simply can't make many mid week games because of work and family commitments. It's not an excuse it's a fact.

That's circa 8 games potentially missed by the end of the season I think. I have still made a few but after a mad rush! What use is a season ticket to people like this now that we know we can get a match ticket for any game we fancy without issue.

I suggest it in the past

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

A couple of the clubs local to me now, Port Vale and Macclesfield offer "Flexi season tickets" that are eligible for 8, 12 or 15 games which ever option you take up.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

How does it work in terms seating area and cost? 

I haven't a clue to be honest, I don't know how it would logistically work but I thought it sounded a good idea, although I certainly think it would have an effect on full season ticket holders as its clear that quite a lot don't bother with midweek games.