BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ep 102 - Revisionist Rovers - The Souness Years

29 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

See, this is where you are getting it wrong. He had injuries, it therefore doesn't follow that he 'pissed' it all away. One of the best? Your opinion, not fact.

If only you could dumb it down enough for it to make sense, 'mate',

I've already explained why he "pissed away" his potential.

You just seem incapable of grasping it. 

Just now, Batman. said:

You suggested that Dunn leaving had a detrimental effect on the team. I used his time at Birmingham along with Duff's at Chelsea to say that we didn't miss Dunn at all, but only Duff.

I know. I was just pointing out what a load of nonsense it was. 

Just now, Batman. said:

We disagree. Get over it. It's like arguing with a wall. Or a small child. 

I'm not the one getting upset. 

You might win an argument with a small child though so don't rule it out as an option for the future.

Just now, Batman. said:

A link to what? A weekly biography of his life out and about drinking around town? Are you a real person?

Ah, so like I said, you're whole argument is based on a few tales of him drinking round town ? You're too much. I actually thought you were serious. Good one. 

Oh, hang on, you are serious....?

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

No you haven't, you've just stated it as fact. 

You've stated him being a legend as a fact. The irony is astounding. I know shit loads of people who have had a drink with Dunny around Blackburn both when he played for us and Birmingham. Plenty on here have tales of seeing him out and about drinking too during his "recoveries."

If you don't believe it then fine, I couldn't care less. Are you under the impression I'm trying to change your mind? 

I said about ten posts ago "let's agree to disagree," but you carried on hounding. 

I've made my point, and if you disagree, then fine.

Your own statistics indicate that very few of his 14 seasons here were news worthy, but you seem to think that three good seasons make you a legend. I disagree.

You seem incapable of accepting that as a viewpoint. Are you a bit thick? Or are you just after a bit of an argument? Seems to me like a bit of both.

I'm very thankful for the good memories of Dunn. I just wish he never came back, then I wouldn't have a bad word to say about his Rovers career.

DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA BATMAN. It's times like this you can almost forget someone saying it's illogical to hate Manchester United.  Or insulting me on the recent Hoddle thread.

For all the countless arguments I've had on here the vast majority have some redeeming features.

Then there's one or two people but I better not mention them.

Edited by Vinjay17

Just now, Batman. said:

Seems like I gave you too much credit in engaging you in the first place. 

LOL. By engage do you mean make stuff up that isn't relevant? Anyway, you've proved yourself an angry and unpleasant individual on more than one occasion on this thread. 

I'm guessing Dunny didn't go drinking with you and it's left you bitter (pun intended)

Edited by blueboy3333

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

LOL. By engage do you mean make stuff up that isn't relevant? Anyway, you've proved yourself an angry and unpleasant individual on more than one occasion on this thread. 

I'm guessing Dunny didn't go drinking with you and it's left you bitter (pun intended)

You've cracked it. "Lol."

17 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

While I would agree that Dunns career underwhelmed from the expectations around him circa 2001, you could argue "legendary" status due to the fact he played a key role with the club during our most successful times since winning the Premier league. He played in the Souness team, the Hughes team and under Allardyce. Overall he played 9 seasons for us in the Premier league, that's a good return. Injuries and a poor move to Birmingham did hold him back. 

Personally I would categorize him below "legendary status". In my opinion that is reserved for the following players from the Premier league era, 1992 on-wards. 

Hendry

Moran

Flowers

Shearer

Sutton

Sherwood

Hughes

Duff

Tugay

Nelsen

Honorable mentions- Wilcox, Ripley, Samba, Bentley, Atkins, McCarthy, Santa Cruz and Dunn 

Potential honorable mentions- Mulgrew and Dack 

I am regretting starting this list now cos I want to keep adding players. I will just step away from the list :) 

No Friedal? 

Edit: Then saw that Pedro pointed this out as well.

Edited by JacknOry

12 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

12 hours ago, Batman. said:

You've cracked it. "Lol."

Yeah that's why I don't care for him either. Even though I'm teetotal and dislike pubs that's entirely the reason. ?

Now that he's a "business consultant" ? wonder how much time he spends in them these days. Since that basically means "I lent Flitcroft some money and he gave me a halfway important sounding title" probably the same as always. I don't know why he hasn't purchased a pub but perhaps even he realises what a state the pub industry is in. Flitcraft sounds kinda like a beer name (one of those craft beers whatever they are) perhaps he should start his own brand/factory or buy a stake somewhere. They seem to be quite popular investments on Crowdcube and a few have been successful. Telling though that many of those investors are male and some consider "fanboy investing" a worse investment than most forms of gambling. At least with gambling there's unlimited form stats available in many areas. Difference between that and backing someone who might have no previous businesses. 

Edited by Vinjay17

On 20/11/2018 at 14:14, Bigdoggsteel said:

While I would agree that Dunns career underwhelmed from the expectations around him circa 2001, you could argue "legendary" status due to the fact he played a key role with the club during our most successful times since winning the Premier league. He played in the Souness team, the Hughes team and under Allardyce. Overall he played 9 seasons for us in the Premier league, that's a good return. Injuries and a poor move to Birmingham did hold him back. 

Personally I would categorize him below "legendary status". In my opinion that is reserved for the following players from the Premier league era, 1992 on-wards. 

Hendry

Moran

Flowers

Shearer

Sutton

Sherwood

Hughes

Duff

Tugay

Nelsen

Honorable mentions- Wilcox, Ripley, Samba, Bentley, Atkins, McCarthy, Santa Cruz and Dunn 

Potential honorable mentions- Mulgrew and Dack 

I am regretting starting this list now cos I want to keep adding players. I will just step away from the list :) 

I'd include Newell, who we'd have never got in the premier league without.. Some might point to speedie, but when Newell fractured his leg during that season, and was out for a period, speedie wasn't nearly as effective..

So Newell makes my list.

• Like 1

Odd. I thought this thread was about Souness not Dunn or legendary players. 

Personally I thought Dunn has said one of his biggest regrets was not listening to Souness at the time. Or have I imagined that. Souness may have survived losing any one of Dunn, Jensen or Duff but to lose all three around the same time would have destroyed most teams. We would have lost them all anyway but to lose all three within a season the heart beat had gone and the replacements.

IMO, Dunn potentially was a more complete midfielder than Lampard and Joe Cole. If he played for a London club he would have been in the England team sooner. Like so many younger players before and after he stopped listening and thought he knew it all. Yes he made a comeback after his injury as a steady attacking midfielder but Pedro and Batman I think are both right. He did have a career threatening injury whilst at Brum but I seem to recall reading an article about how if he had looked after his body better it would not have been as bad.

Now all people, other than Rovers fans, remember about him is him showboating in Brum derby and tripping himself up. It is a sad reflection on his entire career. 

Souness may have gone about it better but in the end he was right about Dunn.

• J*B unpinned this topic