BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

I’d like Bauer through the door

dont think a rb is a necessary expense at the moment.

possibly a left back, bell can slot into sub, would be a good outlet later in games with his pace, tell Williams that he is now centre back cover- I believe he is better there anyway. 

Whoever mentioned eduard from Celtic- yea he is pretty good but no way could we afford him, 10m plus.

one player I would target although would probably be difficult as he has just signed there would be Ronan Curtis at pompy. Fits with the winger/striker option mowbray likes.

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Qpr wont sell him either. Look at what happen when Freeman was going to be sold McClaren was going to resign over it. 

Whilst Burke isnt playing and quite possible that WBA could cut their losses and sell for around 10mil including on loan. Plus Burke could want out aswell.

Well why not say that then instead of we cannot afford him? Just say you do not think Ez E would be sold (which he would as all players will have their price whether the manager stays or not.

Burke i am not so sure would be sold either, he like BB for us has obviously been bought as a long term investment in my opinion. 

12 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Good shouts, I liked what I saw of Joao. I do remember that Mowbray had an issue with him and Emnes time keeping though.. 

Hope Conway fined them :)

Yeah remember he kicked them out of the dressing room like naughty schoolboys. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mercer said:

£10million for Burke, £7million for Brereton - madness.

A decent manager would have had Rovers rocketing to the PL with a £17million budget.

Can't help but agree although I think give TM 17 million to spend with the remit he has to spend in on four or so good players and I reckon he'd have a good stab at going to the Prem with Rovers.

Tying big money up in one or two kind of goes against what he's been preaching.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

£10million for Burke, £7million for Brereton - madness.

A decent manager would have had Rovers rocketing to the PL with a £17million budget.

Oh joy. We're discussing transfers and mercer's back! Look forward to some optimistic and cheerful stories

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Can't help but agree although I think give TM 17 million to spend with the remit he has to spend in on four or so good players and I reckon he'd have a good stab at going to the Prem with Rovers.

Tying big money up in one or two kind of goes against what he's been preaching.

Not sure that's totally true - we (supposedly) splurged 7m on Brereton and he looks a someone to develop rather than the finished product.

It's mad but I don't think you can get established championship promotion quality players for less than 5-10m a piece now. The best value players you get on loan (as we have with Palmer and Reed). 

20 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not sure that's totally true - we (supposedly) splurged 7m on Brereton and he looks a someone to develop rather than the finished product.

It's mad but I don't think you can get established championship promotion quality players for less than 5-10m a piece now. The best value players you get on loan (as we have with Palmer and Reed). 

Established ones, maybe not (depending on position and age). But you can 100% get ones that are good enough for a lot less. Good managers pull that off.

• Like 1

Anyone who believes that £7 million will be going out of Rovers bank account on 1st January to pay for Brereton or indeed an even more far fetched theory that we'll be signing Burke for that sort of money needs to go and have a lie down.

Brereton fit very strict criteria and the admittedly large amount sanctioned on him in comparison to recent business was only approved because he ticked numerous boxes. 

Makes me chuckle that people still seem to be under the impression that Mowbray was posted a cheque for £7 million and had free reign to do with it whatever he wanted. No way. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Anyone who believes that £7 million will be going out of Rovers bank account on 1st January to pay for Brereton or indeed an even more far fetched theory that we'll be signing Burke for that sort of money needs to go and have a lie down.

Brereton fit very strict criteria and the admittedly large amount sanctioned on him in comparison to recent business was only approved because he ticked numerous boxes. 

Makes me chuckle that people still seem to be under the impression that Mowbray was posted a cheque for £7 million and had free reign to do with it whatever he wanted. No way. 

No disrespect to you but all summer you were saying no way would we be spending decent money.

What about our reported 5 million bid for Freeman at QPR , what criteria did he fit?

Of course its only natural to doubt our owners with the way they have run the club but we  spent decent enough money in the summer and tied down quite a few to longer contracts.This week we have seen Bennett and Mulgrew sign new deals with Evans and Graham reportedly close to extending their stays.

• Like 1

Brereton still has to be paid for however it goes out the bank, the instalments will be a chunk of the next 4 years or so annual budgets so if it isn't increased or extra put in just for that when it's due then it's less money per year to play with.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Brereton still has to be paid for however it goes out the bank, the instalments will be a chunk of the next 4 years or so annual budgets so if it isn't increased or extra put in just for that when it's due then it's less money per year to play with.

My head exploded reading that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

No disrespect to you but all summer you were saying no way would we be spending decent money.

What about our reported 5 million bid for Freeman at QPR , what criteria did he fit?

Of course its only natural to doubt our owners with the way they have run the club but we  spent decent enough money in the summer and tied down quite a few to longer contracts.This week we have seen Bennett and Mulgrew sign new deals with Evans and Graham reportedly close to extending their stays.

The money we spent in the summer was peculiar in itself. Lets be honest, the cash was spent on Armstrong and Brereton. The rest of our business was in the scheme of things a pittance. Rodwell and Rothwell on a free, Reed on loan, Davenport not much. 

It was bizarre how the Brereton one came about. I've already admitted I was wrong as I never envisaged them spending multi-millions, I was pleased with the Brereton signing and I think one or two people are out of order for writing him off after a few substitute appearances (but not surprising given  what has happened in the past). 

Reading between the lines of what Mowbray said it seems the cash materialised at quite short notice for a big one, and Mowbray felt he needed to get it spent or risk it not appearing again in future. It also seems a primary concern with the signing was to ensure the owners' investment was protected, and in this case he invested in one for the future to be a slow burner rather than making 2-3 smaller signings which would have covered multiple areas but perhaps not offered the same prospects of major profits in a few years time.

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The money we spent in the summer was peculiar in itself. Lets be honest, the cash was spent on Armstrong and Brereton. The rest of our business was in the scheme of things a pittance. Rodwell and Rothwell on a free, Reed on loan, Davenport not much. 

It was bizarre how the Brereton one came about. I've already admitted I was wrong as I never envisaged them spending multi-millions, I was pleased with the Brereton signing and I think one or two people are out of order for writing him off after a few substitute appearances (but not surprising given  what has happened in the past). 

Reading between the lines of what Mowbray said it seems the cash materialised at quite short notice for a big one, and Mowbray felt he needed to get it spent or risk it not appearing again in future. It also seems a primary concern with the signing was to ensure the owners' investment was protected, and in this case he invested in one for the future to be a slow burner rather than making 2-3 smaller signings which would have covered multiple areas but perhaps not offered the same prospects of major profits in a few years time.

Rothwell cost a fee too.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Rothwell cost a fee too.

He was out of contract at League One Oxford so whatever fee was involved would have been nominal. 

Like I say, not trying to rubbish the efforts made as the investment is appreciated, I'm just not sure I buy this theory that they're suddenly going to be going out spending the cash. If we look at what they did in the summer - the net spend was less than £2 million whilst keeping what we had. The sudden unexpected Brereton deal changed the outlook significantly.

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He was out of contract at League One Oxford so whatever fee was involved would have been nominal. 

Like I say, not trying to rubbish the efforts made as the investment is appreciated, I'm just not sure I buy this theory that they're suddenly going to be going out spending the cash. If we look at what they did in the summer - the net spend was less than £2 million whilst keeping what we had. The sudden unexpected Brereton deal changed the outlook significantly.

Brereton 7 mil

Armstrong 1.75 mil raising to 3 mil

Rothwell 100k I think

Rodwell free

Reed loan

Palmer loan

Davenport between 250k and 500k. 

Thats over 10 million pounds spent which I think is great. 

I disagree on the way you the Brereton deal came around. Mowbray has saidhe had the money all summer to spend.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Brereton 7 mil

Armstrong 1.75 mil raising to 3 mil

Rothwell 100k I think

Rodwell free

Reed loan

Palmer loan

Davenport between 250k and 500k. 

Thats over 10 million pounds spent which I think is great. 

I disagree on the way you the Brereton deal came around. Mowbray has saidhe had the money all summer to spend.

Where have you got those figures for Armstrong from?

Why would we pay Oxford £100,000 for Rothwell when he was out of contract?

As I say, up until the last minute Brereton deal (which was so last minute we didn't have time to get it done and instead got him on loan until Jan), our net spent wasn't great. 

I was content as the priority really was keeping the squad that served us well last year and I was impressed with the Reed and Armstrong additions.

Do you agree something seems just a bit out of place? We supposedly had £7 million sat there through June, July and August yet signed 6 players, 2 on loan, a kid from City, and a couple of free agents, along with bringing Armstrong back in, and then suddenly at the 11th hour as deadline day approached we went around making huge, eyeraising bids for people that seemed to take everyone by complete surprise, including Forest and Brereton?

Just doesn't stack up right with me, but hey ho, I'm a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

As I say, up until the last minute Brereton deal (which was so last minute we didn't have time to get it done and instead got him on loan until Jan), our net spent wasn't great. 

I was content as the priority really was keeping the squad that served us well last year and I was impressed with the Reed and Armstrong additions.

Do you agree something seems just a bit out of place? We supposedly had £7 million sat there through June, July and August yet signed 6 players, 2 on loan, a kid from City, and a couple of free agents, along with bringing Armstrong back in, and then suddenly at the 11th hour as deadline day approached we went around making huge, eyeraising bids for people that seemed to take everyone by complete surprise, including Forest and Brereton?

Just doesn't stack up right with me, but hey ho, I'm a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

Armstrong's fee

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-bargain-price-blackburn-paid-15000800

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11676/11463198/adam-armstrong-completes-blackburn-move-from-newcastle

Rothwell's fee

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/june/a-player-weve-been-chasing-for-a-while/

From the link above

Box-to-box midfielder Rothwell put pen-to-paper earlier today, arriving from Oxford United for an undisclosed fee before agreeing a long-term contract with Rovers.

On the money thing is I can understand your point and see where you are coming from. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Not to annoy anyone but I think the money spent in the summer was already leveraged against any potential fee that can be received from Dack. 

These owners don't put money in without the idea of getting it back with interest so they wouldn't risk it on a "potential" profit from Brereton. 

If Rovers spend any money in January I can't personally see it being big money. Maybe pushing the 1-1.5 million mark which is a lot for us but in terms of football is nothing.

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

Not sure the £7m was sat there from June. See the Bradley Dack thread.

43 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Will love a cheeky 1-1.5 million bid for Reed.

Cant see us getting him for that - look at how much they value Gallacher for example and Reed has actually featured in the PL 17 times. Would say 4-5 minimum for him.

I'd guess at an opening offer of five million for Reed and even that could be way under what today's current market would value him as. However I think he should be the number 1 priority. Young , English , versitile and a top player whose value can only increase. All the stops should be out to get this lad signed up.

I'd also extend rodwells deal for another 18 months

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

Not to annoy anyone but I think the money spent in the summer was already leveraged against any potential fee that can be received from Dack. 

These owners don't put money in without the idea of getting it back with interest so they wouldn't risk it on a "potential" profit from Brereton. 

If Rovers spend any money in January I can't personally see it being big money. Maybe pushing the 1-1.5 million mark which is a lot for us but in terms of football is nothing.

3 hours ago, AJW said:

Think Brertons fee will be paid from the money we receive for Dack ?

This would make zero sense. What if Dack got injured? We haven't leveraged the Brereton deal off a future fee for Dack. 

Oh god, are some really starting the "we have nothing to spend" line. Did we not have enough of that during the summer? Ultimately we had plenty to spend. Mowbray is saying we still have money, so why do people just ignore that and revert to the boring old line that we won't spend anything