BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Great memories,a good team,great players,packed stands but again hits home now much we have lost...

But half our fans still expect all that according to our non results based manager and his groupies.

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2021 at 08:01, Mike E said:

Tugay had it down to a fine art.

From an old post on here (can't remember who I nicked it off for Facebook):

Step 1 - Glance over to bench to get inkling he was coming off

Step 2 - Decide to try something outrageous or overly skillful as a parting gift

Step 3 - Drift over to the Riverside Stand

Step 4 - Look at the fans in the Riverside as the board went up.

Step 5 - Ignore the board

Step 6 - Wait for prompting or the stadium announcer to call out ''Number 5......Tugay''

Step 7 - Look suprised

Step 8 - Remove shinpads

Step 9 - Loosen Socks

Step 10 - Tuck shinpads into shorts

Step 11 - Applaud the Riverside Stand

Step 12 - Start the walk off

Step 13 - Applaud the Darwen End

Step 14 - Wait for the referee to come and tell you to hurry up

Step 15 - Shake hands with the referee, tell him what a wonderful job he's doing/done

Step 16 - Brisk walk or lazy jog for ten paces

Step 17 - Applaud the Blackburn End

Step 18 - Wait for ''Tugay you are my Turkish delight''

Step 19 - Kiss or pat badge on shirt

Step 20 - Shake hands with the left back/left winger

Step 21 - Shake hands with opposition right back as they come to tell you to hurry up

Step 22 - Applaud Jack Walker Stand

Step 23 - Final curtain call to all four sides

Step 24 - Affectionate handshake and/or hug with player coming on

Step 25 - Shake hands with manager

Step 26 - Shake hands with all the coaching staff

Step 27 - High Fives to fans sitting near the Rovers dugout

Step 28 - High Five to fellow subs

Step 29 - Final Wave

Step 30 - Finally Sit Down

Haha that was mine from the old boards.

With the modern day substitutes encouraged to leave the pitch at the nearest side they're on, I'd imagine Tugay would have adapted his style to suit the modern game.

A walk towards the traditional side (after taking the applause from the Riverside obviously) then reach just over halfway, before realising he can leave at the Riverside.

Preferably close to the Darwen End, so he could milk the adulation whilst heading the "long way" back to the dugout via the Blackburn End.

Still love Tugay

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 4

• Backroom
5 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Haha that was mine from the old boards.

With the modern day substitutes encouraged to leave the pitch at the nearest side they're on, I'd imagine Tugay would have adapted his style to suit the modern game.

A walk towards the traditional side (after taking the applause from the Riverside obviously) then reach just over halfway, before realising he can leave at the Riverside.

Preferably close to the Darwen End, so he could milk the adulation whilst heading the "long way" back to the dugout via the Blackburn End.

Still love Tugay

Ditto. I always will. Even Mrs. E will tell you that Tugay was my first love.

On 08/09/2021 at 09:59, RoverCanada said:

Great article in the The Athletic today looking back on Tugay: https://theathletic.com/2811523/2021/09/08/tugay-at-blackburn-it-was-like-he-was-playing-with-a-cigar-in-his-mouth-it-was-that-easy-for-him/

(As always, apologies if you can't get around the paywall!)

The best piece I’ve seen  written on him - thanks. 

It’s worth downloading the “theathletic” app and signing up for free for a week just to read it. Lots of new stuff I’d not heard before. 

This bit struck a chord with me personally…

The way people talk about Tugay reminds you of how people talked about players such as Garrincha, describing a lesser-seen, mercurial talent they almost feel duty-bound to try to make everyone understand how good they were. Nobody who ever coached “Toogs”, or played with him, or even watched him, has anything even remotely negative to say, about either his talent or his character. They’re Tugay proselytisers, keen to convert the remaining disbelievers to the cause.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Get up the side of teams and the rest is easy.

certainly more of a threat than playing in front of them,worst nightmare for a defender is having to defend going backwards,it`s usually a sign you are going to concede sooner or later!!!!!!!!!!as a former full back (admittedly a bad one)i absolutely hated anyone going past me or being cut up by a quick pass

11 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

certainly more of a threat than playing in front of them,worst nightmare for a defender is having to defend going backwards,it`s usually a sign you are going to concede sooner or later!!!!!!!!!!as a former full back (admittedly a bad one)i absolutely hated anyone going past me or being cut up by a quick pass

As a full back I was taught that the ball can go past you and the player can go past you but never at the same time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You never let your opponent get outside you. Inside was ok as a last resort. Just let them run into heavy traffic and pass them on.

Probably the opposite nowadays. Show them down the touchline and they wouldn't know what the fuck to do. 

Cross the ball? What the fuck does that mean? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Probably the opposite nowadays. Show them down the touchline and they wouldn't know what the fuck to do. 

Cross the ball? What the fuck does that mean? 

'To who? There's only one 5 ft 6 lad in the box!'

• Like 1