BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

7 players inducted into inaugural hall of fame

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

I think it’s this:

Dougie, Clayton, Crompton are the 3 most well-known legends for the majority of fans imo.

Shearer - The figurehead of our PL win.

Garner - Record goalscorer.

Fazackerly - Record apps.

Freidel - Record consecutive apps.

All wonderful players, but Garner holds the record that anyone would want.

(In my humble opinion, of course).

• Like 2

Just now, renrag said:

Being pedantic David Dunn was the last Blackburn born player of distinction, even though he was raised in Gt Harwood. The rest is hard to disagree with 

Wiki says Dunn was born in Gt Harwood though it's not trustworthy.

Does beg the question why the town produces so few players

There was a point in the early 1960's when we could have fielded a front five of all Blackburn born players.  Douglas, Bradshaw, Pickering, Byrom, Ratcliffe. I saw four of those play in the same team in the old First Division, and Bradshaw also played in the first team but not as the same time as all the other four.

Do enough kids actually play real football these days. ? I live facing a huge common that in my youth would have had about 50 to a 100 kids playing football in several " coats for goals " games at night or weekends. These days nobody at all plays on the common. Very sad.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

They're all on x box live sadly, if they ever start a World Cup for football games on that England should win it hands down.  Go outside ?  Nah you might as well ask them to go to the moon the response would be the same ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

They're all on x box live sadly, if they ever start a World Cup for football games on that England should win it hands down.  Go outside ?  Nah you might as well ask them to go to the moon the response would be the same ?

Only 10 years ago there'd be maybe up to a dozen kids playing most nights now there aren't any.

When I was a kid the place for me was an area called " Lenny Barn ". It was a huge area that had been left to the town by a wealthy stock broker in the 1920's or 30's. There was enough room 4 or 5 full sized pitches, a cricket square, changing rooms , full time groundsman etc. I more or less lived down there, you could always join in a game if you just wandered down. When I was a bit older and playing organised junior football that was our home pitch. School holidays and Sunday afternoons we'd be down there all afternoon, go home for tea, and then the back again until it was so dark you couldn't see the ball ! First team to score 20 and all that. Small sided games against the Big Lads, you soon learnt to pass the ball then.

I go down there now on a Sunday afternoon on my way to the Crown Oil Arena to watch the Rugby League and in all that huge expanse there's not a soul about. They installed one of these enclosed modern all weather kick pitches down there a few years back. The sort of place we dreamed about when I was a teenager and there's nobody in there either.

• Like 4

Unfortunately for Tony Parkes, it's probably in-keeping with his association with Rovers that was overlooked for this first time round!

As and when the group gets bigger, him & Tugay should be the absolute shoe ins. Beyond that it's difficult to get the balance if you want to keep the group exclusive, but I think Berg, Sherwood, Kenny & Dunn are the modern day players with the best cases, for varying reasons. I suppose Hendry too, but I know some might have their own views on that. 

32 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Unfortunately for Tony Parkes, it's probably in-keeping with his association with Rovers that was overlooked for this first time round!

As and when the group gets bigger, him & Tugay should be the absolute shoe ins. Beyond that it's difficult to get the balance if you want to keep the group exclusive, but I think Berg, Sherwood, Kenny & Dunn are the modern day players with the best cases, for varying reasons. I suppose Hendry too, but I know some might have their own views on that. 

I wonder has Bergs time as manager here tainted things? 

Mark Hughes? 

35 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Managers should be eligible too i think. One a year maybe, could argue a case for Kendall, Dalglish & Souness i think.

With honorary mentions to Lee, Saxton and Mackay. Without those three there would not have been the platform for Jack, Kenny and Ray to come in and do their stuff.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder has Bergs time as manager here tainted things? 

Mark Hughes? 

I think Berg should be considered. He was the only player to win both the Premier League and the Worthington Cup.

Hughes - Worthy cup winner and a simply fantastic manager for us so yes, definitely another worth considering.

• Like 2

On 06/02/2019 at 12:07, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Only 10 years ago there'd be maybe up to a dozen kids playing most nights now there aren't any.

When I was a kid the place for me was an area called " Lenny Barn ". It was a huge area that had been left to the town by a wealthy stock broker in the 1920's or 30's. There was enough room 4 or 5 full sized pitches, a cricket square, changing rooms , full time groundsman etc. I more or less lived down there, you could always join in a game if you just wandered down. When I was a bit older and playing organised junior football that was our home pitch. School holidays and Sunday afternoons we'd be down there all afternoon, go home for tea, and then the back again until it was so dark you couldn't see the ball ! First team to score 20 and all that. Small sided games against the Big Lads, you soon learnt to pass the ball then.

I go down there now on a Sunday afternoon on my way to the Crown Oil Arena to watch the Rugby League and in all that huge expanse there's not a soul about. They installed one of these enclosed modern all weather kick pitches down there a few years back. The sort of place we dreamed about when I was a teenager and there's nobody in there either.

That'll likely be because the gates will be locked and it'd cost an arm and a leg to rent the pitch out!

27 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

That'll likely be because the gates will be locked and it'd cost an arm and a leg to rent the pitch out!

No It's not like that. You can just walk in any time you like. It's not a full size pitch, more like half full size but great for 5 or 6 a side.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

I’d argue that anyone who has made a significant, positive impact on the club should be included.

Even backroom staff, admin staff, and fans!

#BirdyForHOF2020

Now then. If it isn’t just great Rovers players...

Should Kenny Dalglish have been included?

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Now then. If it isn’t just great Rovers players...

Should Kenny Dalglish have been included?

Imo, yes absolutely. However, future years will need ‘headline’ inductees to attract sales.

• Like 1