BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Would you ever...

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

I’d rather tread on a hand grenade than deal with that lot being PL champions!

They were bad enough as winners of the  Championship!!

That’s ok though as there is absolutely no value in winning any title outside the PL.

Just ask Mowbray.

Just now, Stuart said:

That’s ok though as there is absolutely no value in winning any title outside the PL.

Just ask Mowbray.

It would be poetic justice looking back at this in 5 years time as a Premier League club remembering Mowbray guiding to the 2nd division title! ???

• Backroom
On 05/02/2019 at 21:16, Proudtobeblue&white said:

As they will never win the PL, it is a none question, as to anything else, well if we are in the mix, we should never throw a game!

Never say never. If you’d told me in 2009 that then-League-One Leicester City would win the PL within a decade, I’d have sent for the men in white coats.

8 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

That’s what I was inferring but he clearly didn’t get it. 

I got it, but I didn't like the way you said it! 

Yer points are fair enough, but honestly if it meant we were relegated, I wouldn't want us to lose. Too hard to get back ,as we are finding out more and more every season. 

Anyways, unless Guardiola decides he wants to retire to Burnley, i don't see them winning it any time sure, but as we saw with Leicester, I suppose you never know...

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Since when did we become a club who sticks its nose up at any title? Any league title is worth winning. Especially when the alternative is 2nd.

I just said the Championship and League 1 aren't recognized as major honors, this is a fact. The prize in the football league is promotion.

I have never once read or heard a Rovers fan complain that Souness didn't win the Championship. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I just said the Championship and League 1 aren't recognized as major honors, this is a fact. The prize in the football league is promotion.

I have never once read or heard a Rovers fan complain that Souness didn't win the Championship. 

Because he gave it his all and finished second. That's life. Tony didn't and surrendered an opportunity to get us a trophy and title. Any trophy for a club like rovers is to be treasured not have your nose turned up at, especially a league title

• Like 1

League 1 winners

Season Winner Runner Up Playoff Winner
2004–05 Luton Town (2) Hull City Sheffield Wednesday
2005–06 Southend United Colchester United Barnsley
2006–07 Scunthorpe United (2) Bristol City Blackpool
2007–08 Swansea City (3) Nottingham Forest Doncaster Rovers
2008–09 Leicester City Peterborough United Scunthorpe United
2009–10 Norwich City (2) Leeds United Millwall
2010–11 Brighton & Hove Albion (3) Southampton Peterborough United
2011–12 Charlton Athletic (3) Sheffield Wednesday Huddersfield Town
2012–13 Doncaster Rovers (4) AFC Bournemouth Yeovil Town
2013–14 Wolverhampton Wanderers (3) Brentford Rotherham United
2014–15 Bristol City (4) Milton Keynes Dons Preston North End
2015–16 Wigan Athletic (2) Burton Albion Barnsley
2016–17 Sheffield United Bolton Wanderers Millwall
2017–18 Wigan Athletic (3) Blackburn Rovers Rotherham United

I'm surprised Southampton didn't win it, didn't they go up from the championship the following season? 

Bournemouth didn't win it either, or Leeds. I wonder do their fans care 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

10 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Because he gave it his all and finished second. That's life. Tony didn't and surrendered an opportunity to get us a trophy and title. Any trophy for a club like rovers is to be treasured not have your nose turned up at, especially a league title

We lost 1 -0 to Charlton in a tight game. Hardly surrendering. The reason we didn't win it was because of our awful start. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We lost 1 -0 to Charlton in a tight game. Hardly surrendering. The reason we didn't win it was because of our awful start. 

If Tony can look you in the eye and say I played my strongest team and did everything to win then fair enough. If you look at the team picked and pre match comments I'm sure he couldnt

• Like 1

I can safely say I wasn't arsed in the slightest. Promotion was the goal and was achieved.

Not one point since we won promotion have i ever looked and thought 'you know what i really wish we won that league title'.

I enjoyed Doncaster far more than I would have enjoyed Wigan slipping up on the final day.

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

Which is irrelevant to the point I replied to.

You seem to be assuming I was looking to argue with you just because I quoted you. I can see why, but I wasn't.

Edited by bluebruce

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You clearly are missing the point. Quotes pre game and the team selection are what riled me and many other fans. Not that we lost to Charlton.

It doesnt in anyway take anything from the achievement or joy of getting promotion.

You mention Souness. The reason people are annoyed is not because we didnt win the league. Its because our manager didnt see it as important once promotion was already secured, in a nothing to lose and everything to gain situation.

I paid good money to go to Charlton as did many and whilst it was a promotion party it did take the shine off it that day, knowing Mowbray wasnt arsed about a potential league title. 

To surrender is defined as "to give up or hand over" which with Mowbray saying “The other one will also be in the same league next year and in a year’s time no-one will remember who finished first or second" accompanied with his team selection, I perceived him of doing.

He also said "“Now this job has been done they probably won’t play which you will see tomorrow who’s not going to play" he said “I don’t want them to miss their whole summer of rest by having to come in for treatment." Not the words of someone who was desperate to win a league title.

Would I have liked to have won the league of course I would, was I devastated that we didn't win it no I wasn't as promotion was of course the main aim. However I was slightly disappointed that we seemed to turn our nose up at the opportunity to win the league. We didn't put out anything like our strongest possible team at Charlton.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You clearly are missing the point. Quotes pre game and the team selection are what riled me and many other fans. Not that we lost to Charlton.

It doesnt in anyway take anything from the achievement or joy of getting promotion.

You mention Souness. The reason people are annoyed is not because we didnt win the league. Its because our manager didnt see it as important once promotion was already secured, in a nothing to lose and everything to gain situation.

I paid good money to go to Charlton as did many and whilst it was a promotion party it did take the shine off it that day, knowing Mowbray wasnt arsed about a potential league title. 

To surrender is defined as "to give up or hand over" which with Mowbray saying “The other one will also be in the same league next year and in a year’s time no-one will remember who finished first or second" accompanied with his team selection, I perceived him of doing.

He also said "“Now this job has been done they probably won’t play which you will see tomorrow who’s not going to play" he said “I don’t want them to miss their whole summer of rest by having to come in for treatment." Not the words of someone who was desperate to win a league title.

I'm not missing any point. It just doesn't bother me. Promotion was the goal. I didn't like being in League 1 and I don't want to be back there competing for that "trophy" any time soon. 

17 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Would I have liked to have won the league of course I would, was I devastated that we didn't win it no I wasn't as promotion was of course the main aim. However I was slightly disappointed that we seemed to turn our nose up at the opportunity to win the league. We didn't put out anything like our strongest possible team at Charlton.

No, but it wasn't a complete reserve team; Mulgrew, Evans, Lenihan, Smallwood, Bell and Armstrong all started and we should have won the game. I recall us having far more chances than them. Obviously we would have had a better chance of winning if Dack, Graham, Raya and Nyambe all played, but I can understand why Mowbray gave some fringe payers a run out. I just wonder what would be said on here if Dack or Graham played and got injured. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

You seem to be assuming I was looking to argue with you just because I quoted you. I can see why, but I wasn't.

Sorry, yeah. Reading that back it did come across as snarky. Apologies.

• Backroom

League 1 winners

Season Winner Runner Up Playoff Winner
2004–05 Luton Town (2) Hull City Sheffield Wednesday
2005–06 Southend United Colchester United Barnsley
2006–07 Scunthorpe United (2) Bristol City Blackpool
2007–08 Swansea City (3) Nottingham Forest Doncaster Rovers
2008–09 Leicester City Peterborough United Scunthorpe United
2009–10 Norwich City (2) Leeds United Millwall
2010–11 Brighton & Hove Albion (3) Southampton Peterborough United
2011–12 Charlton Athletic (3) Sheffield Wednesday Huddersfield Town
2012–13 Doncaster Rovers (4) AFC Bournemouth Yeovil Town
2013–14 Wolverhampton Wanderers (3) Brentford Rotherham United
2014–15 Bristol City (4) Milton Keynes Dons Preston North End
2015–16 Wigan Athletic (2) Burton Albion Barnsley
2016–17 Sheffield United Bolton Wanderers Millwall
2017–18 Wigan Athletic (3) Blackburn Rovers Rotherham United

I'm surprised Southampton didn't win it, didn't they go up from the championship the following season? 

Bournemouth didn't win it either, or Leeds. I wonder do their fans care 

Very interesting to see how many of them have gone on to make it to the Prem.

Hull, Swansea, Leicester, Blackpool, Norwich, Brighton, Southampton, Huddersfield,  Bournemouth, and Wolves.

And then potentially there is Leeds and Sheff Utd that could do it this season. 

That is a way bigger list than I would have thought.

There's hope for us yet. Although, I suppose it could be argued that the gap is way bigger now than it was 10 years ago. 

• Like 1