BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Gordon Gekko said:

I wouldn’t mind us going in for that Nelson Oliviera at Norwich, was on loan at Reading last season. Scored against us at their place. 

Said the same probably 12 months ago to the day. If he was available I would be very happy with him.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Anyone seen much of Henderson at the Dale? Scored a bag full last season and I seem to remember he's been doing it for Dale a while now.

Turns 35 in January. Flourished as a lower L1/L2 player but never been able to climb any higher with any success.

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, Gordon Gekko said:

I wouldn’t mind us going in for that Nelson Oliviera at Norwich, was on loan at Reading last season. Scored against us at their place. 

A good player for this level who would probably be in our reach on loan, not sure if we'd be in a position to sign him permanently though.

• Like 1

Our love for Scottish, Welsh, Irish players are so great lol like are we afraid of looking elsewhere? It says to me that we either have a terrible scouting department or that we are skint 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Anyone seen much of Henderson at the Dale? Scored a bag full last season and I seem to remember he's been doing it for Dale a while now.

I like the lad, if you can score a bag full at Rochdale you can score anyway. Age is against him now though. Having said that he's probably younger than Downing.

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Adam Matthews

He looks like Joe Ledley about as much as me and he’s the same race.

But I wouldn’t mind international defenders having trials with us...

Is this just a guess? Or a source?

The lad on Twitter should just ask him his bloody name if it’s true.

20 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Downing, O’Neill, Morrison, Hanley and Gallagher doesn’t inspire me and I can’t imagine it inspires many. But worry that’s what we’re going to get.

It's not inspiring no, but it's about what I expected. Infact if all them happened then its probably better than i expected to be honest.

Some of the names I've seen here have been absolute fantasy signings.

From what we have seen of Mowbray so far, we all know he won't strengthen his first 11 with better players than we already have, its all about having a squad where everybody is about as good as everyone else. We had a stand out centre midfielder on loan last year but he didn't seem to like it for some reason and never played him there, I think he started 3 games all season in centre midfield and we won all 3, Bolton away, Wigan home and Derby home.

I like Mowbray, but I don't half find his recruitment policy and general team selections baffling.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

It's not inspiring no, but it's about what I expected. Infact if all them happened then its probably better than i expected to be honest.

Some of the names I've seen here have been absolute fantasy signings.

From what we have seen of Mowbray so far, we all know he won't strengthen his first 11 with better players than we already have, its all about having a squad where everybody is about as good as everyone else. We had a stand out centre midfielder on loan last year but he didn't seem to like it for some reason and never played him there, I think he started 3 games all season in centre midfield and we won all 3, Bolton away, Wigan home and Derby home.

I like Mowbray, but I don't half find his recruitment policy and general team selections baffling.

Treat yourself and spend some time looking at tranfermarkt.co.uk and go through the transfer windows since Venky’s arrived.

Those signings and no outgoings would be an unequivocal success.

I genuinely think we’ve added better players than we’ve lost under Mowbray - that is an incredibly rare thing to say since Big Sam...  all for around net £3.5m a year and (I presume) a reduced wage bill. So they’ve probably spent nowt.

Mowbray isn’t the problem when it comes to transfers.

I’m sick of the narrative that Venkys are funding us generously when they’ve taken something like £40m+ out of the squad in less than ten years and the wage structure is exponentially lower.

Another Dack, Rothwell, Armstrong or Chapman would be nice right now.

Maybe it’s the Aussie this time. I really want him now!

Edited by S8 & Blue

4 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

That's exactly why I don't like him, that and the soulless safety first football at home and the embarrassingly bad defence away. 

Apart from that though...

Home to Charlton - Bennett and Downing on the flanks and a long hoof to Graham for 90 minutes. 

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I'm sick of the narrative that Venkys are funding us generously when they’ve taken something like £40m+ out of the squad in less than ten years and the wage structure is exponentially lower.

Narrative? It's a cast-iron fact. We owe them what, about 150 million? That's a lot more than they've recouped in transfer fee profit. Sure, it's a mess entirely of their own making, but the fact is they've spent a sizable sum of their own money on the club. It's also an interest-free loan so it's not some money-maker for them. They'll never see it back but they're not making us strip everything to the bone to cut losses (any more anyway).

It's only a narrative if you're talking about the 'we should be thankful' vibe I occasionally detect from people.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Narrative? It's a cast-iron fact. We owe them what, about 150 million? That's a lot more than they've recouped in transfer fee profit. Sure, it's a mess entirely of their own making, but the fact is they've spent a sizable sum of their own money on the club. It's also an interest-free loan so it's not some money-maker for them. They'll never see it back but they're not making us strip everything to the bone to cut losses (any more anyway).

It's only a narrative if you're talking about the 'we should be thankful' vibe I occasionally detect from people.

Factual yes, but you gloss over the key fact; it's entirely of their own making. In my view they should spend their own money on the club and feel some pain doing it given what they've done to us. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Factual yes, but you gloss over the key fact; it's entirely of their own making. In my view they should spend their own money on the club and feel some pain doing it given what they've done to us. 

Did I gloss over that fact, or did I explicitly state it? Have another read.

Yes, damn right they should put their money in. I'd rather piss on them than thank them. You seem to have somehow mistaken my post as having a pro-Venkys agenda.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Commence Venky rant -

I’m talking more about the issue of the playing squad/personnel and the disinvestment there.

Running costs exist in any business, and in this industry these costs those can only realistically be recouped by the success of the team. Serves them the fuck right.

For context - 

We are net minus say 40m from the day we were a PL team in transfer fees alone (assuming a good manager that could have kept us there). A decade of inflation/market forces from then could put that at what 100m? 200m? More?

Every transfer window for 10 years has been shit. 

A club still on relative life support with some weird (at best formerly criminal) owners thousands of miles away.

We get a manager who rebuilds a relegated team on a current transfer fee budget of circa £3m per window (excluding wage variations, which I think may account for a lot of that) and he has us looking up. He has us forgetting the owners and those problems. For the first time in years,

”Mowbray is bad in the transfer market” whilst he has signed our two best players in Dack and Rothwell for nowt. Got us thinking about the playoffs again. Working with nothing but very near to status quo investment.

I’ve seen people genuinely say “Tony - play offs are the MINIMUM EXPECTATION”

Christ alive what do you think has changed and do you love being disappointed???

Tony isn’t a problem here, if anything he’s a victim of his own success that people think he is.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 7

Commence Venky rant -

I’m talking more about the issue of the playing squad/personnel and the disinvestment there.

Running costs exist in any business, and in this industry these costs those can only realistically be recouped by the success of the team. Serves them the fuck right.

For context - 

We are net minus say 40m from the day we were a PL team in transfer fees alone (assuming a good manager that could have kept us there). A decade of inflation/market forces from then could put that at what 100m? 200m? More?

Every transfer window for 10 years has been shit. 

A club still on relative life support with some weird (at best formerly criminal) owners thousands of miles away.

We get a manager who rebuilds a relegated team on a current transfer fee budget of circa £3m per window (excluding wage variations, which I think may account for a lot of that) and he has us looking up. He has us forgetting the owners and those problems. For the first time in years,

”Mowbray is bad in the transfer market” whilst he has signed our two best players in Dack and Rothwell for nowt. Working with nothing but very near to status quo investment.

I’ve seen people genuinely say “Tony - play offs are the MINIMUM EXPECTATION”

Christ alive what do you think has changed and do you love being disappointed???

Tony isn’t a problem here, if anything he’s a victim of his own success that people think he is.

The thing about the play offs is that Mowbray has repeatedly mentioned his desire to push for the top 6 this season, and it seems that this is a common theme across the board when youve got our new signing saying we can go for the top 6 too.

You mention that hes signed Dack and Rothwell (the latter who for all his promise and perhaps due to being underused is yet to prove both here and in his career that he can provide goals/assists consistently) but he has spent over 10m, a very decent amount, much of which hes wasted (or maybe more amicably put, is yet to yield any on field return from) and claims to have a similar budget this time. If that comes to fruition, and he continues to seemingly not need to sell as he goes to raise funds (granted hes signed a few of those who theoretically could be sold) then hes at an advantage to most of his rivals. I wouldnt say top 6 or bust but we need a convincing push.

And to clarify, I am very strong of the opinion that I give Venkys absolutely no credit for any supposed funding they provide, I echo much of what youve said about them.

@roversfan99

I’d like to see how those budgets have spread out since he’s come in re: wages and transfers.

I have an inkling that “he’s spent 10m” is nowhere near true.

Mowbray acknowledged the Brereton fee was as reported when he said that that he could have spent "could have bought 6 or 7 players for 1 million each."

Theres no way that the fees for Armstrong, Dack, Samuel, Bell, Rothwell, Chapman, Davenport, Downing, Gladwin and Hart dont come to the remaining 3 to 4 million.

• Like 1