Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019


Neal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, philipl said:

I saw enough of Bauer to hope he would only be a squad player.

Questionable whether he would displace Williams and Mulgrew.

Bit of a waste of 2 years then. We need at least one defender to replace Mulgrew.

This talk of “one for the future” that we keep hearing is getting tiresome. It’s one thing expecting fans to be patient, but players, agents, other clubs? When our better players start to come of age they will leave well before Mowbray’s project matures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Blueandwhitemike said:

It's one way of reading it.  Another is that Mowbray would have liked him but he's planning on signing another CB anyway and one that is hopefully better.  I imagine that without giving guarantees he's given Downing the impression he will, depending on form, play quite a bit but wasn't quite positive with Bauer.  That makes more sense to me, I don't think it is quite as black and white.  Of course Preston may have valued him more highly and offered him a little more money.

Not sure how else you can read his actual comments.

I sincerely hope you are right though and Bauer has just been a long term stalking m-horse for a better defender who can slot into the first team. History doesn’t back that up though.

Any player coming in is likely to be behind the existing players until Mowbray thinks they are worthy. Sadly, as we saw with Rothwell, that could be after it no longer impacts the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mowbray promised defenders.  The only link has been to Bauer.  Either we have better targets lined up or we don't and the same defence and keeper starts the season.   I have no idea what to believe these days. 

If he doesn't address the defence though by the end of the window, he clearly will not take us anywhere.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’m sure Mowbray thinks he is being noble and honest but saying to a player during a meeting “you won’t be going straight into our starting line up*, you’ll have to earn your place” wouldn’t go down as well as “I’ve been tracking your progress for two years and I want you to be the main man in our defence - it would be your place to lose”.

Footballs are flakey, arrogant creatures and want to be told that they are great and “wanted”. How often do you hear departing players (at any club) say “I didn’t feel wanted”, for instance.

If Neill has told Bauer that he rates him and wants him to go straight into the team then it may have been the difference. Even if it doesn’t work out right from the start.

The only good thing about that article is that it doesn’t mention PNE our bidding us for wages.

 

*a starting line up that has one decent cb (a converted cm), and over-the-hill one and some makeshift from full backs! No wonder he wasn’t very impressed. Mowbray is literally loyal to a fault.

He's often spoken about players character , maybe this is one of the way he judges that , tell them they are not an auto pick , If they have a desire and the will to earn a place in the side they get his vote of approval if they are not up for the fight of getting in the team will they be up for a fight to get into play offs ? To avoid relegation ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

This is absolute madness. How are we ever going to persuade anyone half decent to join us if the deal is they're only going to be a squad player?

And if the players any new targets apparently are going to be behind are so bloody good, how come we only finished 15th in the Championship last season?

The more I hear from Mowbray, the less I like what I hear and the less I respect his point of view. His only concern appears to be protecting the interests of the players already here and he appears to have zero interest in actually trying to improve the starting eleven.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In actual transfer news, Hanley could be next in, a mate  who knows him says he was in talks yesterday with the Club.

Guess it will depend on whether they can agree on wages. Think he would be a good signing IF he was being brought in to go straight  into the starting eleven. Not sure I'd want him on largish wages sat on the sidelines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

In actual transfer news, Hanley could be next in, a mate  who knows him says he was in talks yesterday with the Club.

Guess it will depend on whether they can agree on wages. Think he would be a good signing IF he was being brought in to go straight  into the starting eleven. Not sure I'd want him on largish wages sat on the sidelines.

Would be a lot more of an improvement that Bauer imo - Plus the added bonus of he shouldn’t need any time to settle (back into the RV pubs... :) ) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

This is absolute madness. How are we ever going to persuade anyone half decent to join us if the deal is they're only going to be a squad player?

And if the players any new targets apparently are going to be behind are so bloody good, how come we only finished 15th in the Championship last season?

The more I hear from Mowbray, the less I like what I hear and the less I respect his point of view. His only concern appears to be protecting the interests of the players already here and he appears to have zero interest in actually trying to improve the starting eleven.

Agreed. The first centre back who walks through that door (arguably both if we sign two) HAS to be seen as ahead of Mulgrew in the pecking order, despite his position as captain, and Williams. If they're not, there is zero point in signing them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Hanley and Lenihan is exactly what we need. Darragh’s mobility combined with an actual no nonsense head it/kick it type.

I'm not completely convinced. Darragh is fairly no-nonsense. Our defence needs a rough CB sure, but for me that player also needs to be an intelligent, disciplined organiser. A fuckton of our goals have come from poor positional play. Last I saw Hanley for us, I considered him reckless, a criticism that has been levelled at Lenihan. He was learning better when to commit and when not, compared to previous seasons, so maybe he has matured on that front. But I wouldn't want to see us line up with two rash CBs. You can only really afford one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderation Lead

Just catching up on the last few pages and I thought I'd give my tuppence worth:

Some people think others are hysterical vs. some people think they have legitimate concerns

Some people are too harsh on Mowbray vs. some people won't accept any criticism whatsoever of him.

Some people think we overpaid for Brereton vs. some people that think he's an investment for the future.

Some people think Mowbray is too loyal to a lot of players vs. some people don't.

Some people eat meat vs some people don't.

(Okay, the last one was a bit silly, but you get the idea).

Point is, people have different opinions, if we all accepted people thought differently and didn't make the point they were right and they couldn't understand why others didn't think everyone else didn't think exactly like them, we'd get on a lot better on here. 

Edited by K-Hod
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They both have faults bluebruce, neither are PL quality as a result. Are we really going to get better than Hanley? I’d have him over the likes of Bauer any day of the week.

Edited by Mattyblue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very worrying that we’re wasting 2 years tracking someone who they think wouldn’t even get in the first team. 

How else can we improve without signing better players than we already have?

Why let Downing go if we’re just going to sign another squad CB?

I can see it coming already, the team starting against Charlton is going to be the League One team AGAIN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems to be at odds with Mowbray's plans for the window which he broadcast earlier on this summer. He claimed to be after new players good enough to start immediately and replace those who had struggled last season.

Strange 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, OJRovers said:

I can see it coming already, the team starting against Charlton is going to be the League One team AGAIN.

I never really expected anything different to be honest.

But, let's see what happens over the next few weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JHRover said:

Seems to be at odds with Mowbray's plans for the window which he broadcast earlier on this summer. He claimed to be after new players good enough to start immediately and replace those who had struggled last season.

Strange 

This is where my frustration lies.

He said all the right things and it seemed that he had a plan in place for the summer to improve the starting 11. 

I'm not convinced Downing will be a player who will be starting every week and we were chasing a reserve centre back for a year or so.

We can only wait and see what has happened by the end of the window but frustrating start as far as I am concerned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Signing Hanley would definitely diffuse some of the angst around here (myself included).

We need a championship quality CB to come in and Hanley has been signed by teams that have won this league twice in 3 years and was formidable and POTY at us 4 seasons ago.

                            Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Hanley - Bell

                  Travis - Downing 

  Armstrong   -   Dack   -    Rothwell

                         Graham

Subs: GK, Mulgrew, Evans, Davenport, Bennett, Brereton, Butterworth.

Glaring issue is Bennett 100% starts in the team with TM in charge and will do at the expense of either Nyambe, Travis or Rothwell. ?

If Hanley is a loan I want to see some money spent on CM as we need options beyond Evans and especially Smallwood.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Signing Hanley would definitely diffuse some of the angst around here (myself included).

We need a championship quality CB to come in and Hanley has been signed by teams that have won this league twice in 3 years and was formidable and POTY at us 4 seasons ago.

                            Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Hanley - Bell

                  Travis - Downing 

  Armstrong   -   Dack   -    Rothwell

                         Graham

Subs: GK, Mulgrew, Evans, Davenport, Bennett, Brereton, Butterworth.

Glaring issue is Bennett 100% starts in the team with TM in charge and will do at the expense of either Nyambe, Travis or Rothwell. ?

If Hanley is a loan I want to see some money spent on CM as we need options beyond Evans and especially Smallwood.

Swap Nyambe for Bennett & Travis for Evans and I think that will be the side that starts against Charlton if Hanley comes in.

Williams & Chapman on the bench instead of Davenport and Butterworth.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Mahoney set to sign for Millwall on a permanent. Can't help but think we've missed out on a player who'd walk into our team.

Not a player I have rated at all , I was amazed he went to a Premier League club !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

‘I’ve followed you for two years - you’re a fantastic player. You’ll start behind Lenihan, Mulgrew and Del Williams as our 4th CB in a team which shipped the most away goals in the football league’.

No wonder he opted for the Nobbers is it.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, benhben said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17729706.rovers-boss-on-missing-out-on-patrick-bauer-to-preston/

This basically says Bauer went to Preston because Mowbray told him he would start behind Williams in the pecking order........

The question has been raised. Do we want a player who is not confident in his own ability to make a position his own? 

It bears some similarities to when Craig Short chose not to sign for Kenny Dalglish and went to Derby instead, because he thought he wouldn’t be a first choice at Ewood. The general consensus at the time was that we were better off without him, and I had a lot of sympathy with that view, He went on to knock that one on the head

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.