Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019


Neal
 Share

Recommended Posts

It’s a fair cop re: Bauer.

I really wanted to see evidence Tony still wanted to sign him because I couldn’t countenance A, us losing out to PNE, and B, the fact we’d chased a lad for so long that I didn’t really think was worth it at all.

Have to hold my hands up there. 

Still hopefully won’t lose any sleep over it, assuming we bring someone in better or especially if big Grant comes back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, benhben said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17729706.rovers-boss-on-missing-out-on-patrick-bauer-to-preston/

This basically says Bauer went to Preston because Mowbray told him he would start behind Williams in the pecking order........

I can understand where he is coming from. In an ideal world, players we sign shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot and should come in and fight for a place in the starting 11.

However, this isn't an ideal world. We are basically a defensive shambles.

The challenge for a starting place shouldn't be thrown down to new signings but to the defenders already here, who have largely failed last season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course Tony may be covering up his or the club's failings by claiming that the issue was not offering Bauer guaranteed game time. That excuse is the most palatable to concerned supporters who will prefer to believe this line rather than the uncomfortable truth.

The alternative is of course that Preston gazumped us by virtue of being better organised and prepared, could sell themselves more or could pay him more, or indeed just actually offered him a proper contract rather than messing around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, davulsukur said:

I can understand where he is coming from. In an ideal world, players we sign shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot and should come in and fight for a place in the starting 11.

However, this isn't an ideal world. We are basically a defensive shambles.

The challenge for a starting place shouldn't be thrown down to new signings but to the defenders already here, who have largely failed last season.

Your first sentence is absolutely correct but telling a player he will have to play his way into the team is nonsense from Mowbray. Everybody should start the same and it's how they shape up in pre season and friendlies which should determine who starts the season.

It's just more garbage from Mowbray who is rapidly dousing any hopes I had after his big talk at the end of the season.

And didn't Mowbray say to people at the end of the Supporters Consultation Meeting that Bauer wanted between £40 & £50k a week? Then he speaks to him in the summer about signing for us.

It looks like Mowbrays halo is slipping.

Edited by arbitro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Downing cannot start central midfield. It just cant happen, it's more important to be mobile than a good player playing CM in this league. Play Davenport and Travis or sign someone better. 

In other news, I've just driven past Rios in Whalley, who have a "WELCOME HOME GRANT" banner outside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hahahah this is mad. So it turns out that the manager has been tracking a league 1 defender who he rates but is asking to fight and be at his very best to get into our team....and he’s criticised for it!?

The fact that Preston gave (League 1 defender) Bauer the keys to the bloody city and that Bauer wasn’t prepared to back his own ability and needed his ego massaging to get the deal done says more about Preston and Bauer in my opinion!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still believing what I heard that they put in the graft to get him whilst Rovers just remained 'interested'.  Not sure i'd have been impressed if we had to offer about ten grand per week more just to lure him here instead of Preston that doesn't bode well.

However neither does TMs pork pies about 50k pwk !!!

Most worrying thing is it sounding like he was told he'd be coming in as back up not to earn a place in the team from the off like he'll get the chance to do at PNE. 

Verdict - They've tried to do it cheaply a few times because they are only interested yet again in back ups and back ups for back ups because he has his favs already to keep faith in again. Somewhere along the line they've lost interest because he's got side tracked with chasing/funding the Downing 'capture'.

Worry not though defenders are coming.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Hahahah this is mad. So it turns out that the manager has been tracking a league 1 defender who he rates but is asking to fight and be at his very best to get into our team....and he’s criticised for it!?

The fact that Preston gave (League 1 defender) Bauer the keys to the bloody city and that Bauer wasn’t prepared to back his own ability and needed his ego massaging to get the deal done says more about Preston and Bauer in my opinion!! 

On the other hand if I saw Williams and Mulgrew play last year and was told by the Manager I would have to wait to start ahead of him Id tell them to jog on...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, J*B said:

Downing cannot start central midfield. It just cant happen, it's more important to be mobile than a good player playing CM in this league. Play Davenport and Travis or sign someone better. 

In other news, I've just driven past Rios in Whalley, who have a "WELCOME HOME GRANT" banner outside.

Funnily enough the Warhorse on Buckshaw, The Ley Inn in C-L-W, Dantes on Preston Road and several Preston nightclubs have all been reported as getting similar banners ready...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, benhben said:

On the other hand if I saw Williams and Mulgrew play last year and was told by the Manager I would have to wait to start ahead of him Id tell them to jog on...

Come on mate, jokes aside...the guy has been playing in League 1. There’s no evidence that he can make the grade in the Championship? The manager was absolutely right to make him fight for his place imo. 

Looks like Hanley is likely now. There’s no comparison between these two signings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Hahahah this is mad. So it turns out that the manager has been tracking a league 1 defender who he rates but is asking to fight and be at his very best to get into our team....and he’s criticised for it!?

The fact that Preston gave (League 1 defender) Bauer the keys to the bloody city and that Bauer wasn’t prepared to back his own ability and needed his ego massaging to get the deal done says more about Preston and Bauer in my opinion!! 

Any decent centre half will feel insulted if he is told he is going to be starting behind Derrick Williams in the pecking order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, J*B said:

Downing cannot start central midfield. It just cant happen, it's more important to be mobile than a good player playing CM in this league. Play Davenport and Travis or sign someone better. 

In other news, I've just driven past Rios in Whalley, who have a "WELCOME HOME GRANT" banner outside.

He played most of his 38 appearances for Boro as CM player last year.  I feel like people forget about Tugay and how mobile was he ?

I am very happy with the signing just hope he isn't a flop like Peter Whittingham

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Hahahah this is mad. So it turns out that the manager has been tracking a league 1 defender who he rates but is asking to fight and be at his very best to get into our team....and he’s criticised for it!?

The fact that Preston gave (League 1 defender) Bauer the keys to the bloody city and that Bauer wasn’t prepared to back his own ability and needed his ego massaging to get the deal done says more about Preston and Bauer in my opinion!! 

What is mad is chasing a player for 12 months but not having the courage of your convictions to clinch the deal. If you're after a player, make sure it's someone you really want and have confidence in your judgement and be prepared to pay what is necessary to get the deal over the line.

Don't fanny about half heartedly for 12 months fluttering your eyelashes at a player you don't really want simply because there's a slight chance you might land him on the cheap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ewoodnews said:

He played most of his 38 appearances for Boro as CM player last year.  I feel like people forget about Tugay and how mobile was he ?

I am very happy with the signing just hope he isn't a flop like Peter Whittingham

Nonsense.

SmartSelect_20190626-094629_Chrome.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

What is mad is chasing a player for 12 months but not having the courage of your convictions to clinch the deal. If you're after a player, make sure it's someone you really want and have confidence in your judgement and be prepared to pay what is necessary to get the deal over the line.

Don't fanny about half heartedly for 12 months fluttering your eyelashes at a player you don't really want simply because there's a slight chance you might land him on the cheap.

Or you tell him the truth that he might not start and then you don't have a player having expectation of starting every week.  Just like in every job people move, get sold the earth and then become annoyed at what was promised.

Personally he has little Championship experience and was demanding a lot of money so I think it is important to know when to say no thank you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Your first sentence is absolutely correct but telling a player he will have to play his way into the team is nonsense from Mowbray. Everybody should start the same and it's how they shape up in pre season and friendlies which should determine who starts the season.

Bang on. "You're all on a level playing field - now go and make the shirt your own". Not "you're behind Del WIlliams in the pecking order" FFS.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, J*B said:

Nonsense.

SmartSelect_20190626-094629_Chrome.jpg

I work with about 10 or 15 Boro Season Ticket holders and they said a lot of the time he played in CM.

How often do BBC, Sky and god knows how many other platforms state the wrong formation or have the wrong player in a certain position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It does seem that TM telling him that he'll be a squaddy to begin with has cost us this one. Can't disagree with those saying either 1) he's not good enough to start so why chase him or 2) TM's approach has meant he's gone to PNE.

All I'd say though is that he's used exactly the same approach for other players, Armstrong, Chapman etc. and they couldn't wait to get back here. I'd also hope that if he was going to be behind others to begin with then he wouldn't be the only centre half joining us this summer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

What is mad is chasing a player for 12 months but not having the courage of your convictions to clinch the deal. If you're after a player, make sure it's someone you really want and have confidence in your judgement and be prepared to pay what is necessary to get the deal over the line.

Don't fanny about half heartedly for 12 months fluttering your eyelashes at a player you don't really want simply because there's a slight chance you might land him on the cheap.

Sounds like Mowbray wanted him as backup to Lenihan as right CB. Which is worrying, we desperately need a partner for him.

We should be looking to improve the starting 11 especially the back 4, not improve the 4th choice cb option.

I've warmed to the downing signing a bit but i'm pretty confident he wont be at centre mid for us. I see him starting out wide or as the back up to Dack as a 10.

I'm hoping a few of the younger lads really stake a claim on the pre-season tour especially Buckley, Rankin-Costollo or Lyons. Could save us some money as we seem to be in the market for another centre mid, and hopefully we can use that saved money to get defensive reinforcements. But thats more likely to be a dream than a reality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, renrag said:

Mercer did for one

Then he's one! I actually think I remember him posting that.

2 points: its a view he's entitled to take.

One person's view should not become a stick with which to beat the MB in general

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

See for me there’s nothing to be jealous of with the Stoke announcement. 

Only one of those players makes our starting eleven. Powell never fit, Cousins is an awful signing, Gregory ageing and no better than Graham and Davies no more proven than Raya.

People look at Stoke announcing 5 lads at once and think, woah! But besides Lindsay, there’s nothing to be envious of there at all. 

I’d rather give Butterworth and Buckley more game time than be wasting a wage on free transfers like Powell and Gregory who won’t push a team any further than 12th.

The main thing about it is the clarity of how they are working, Jones mentioned that they have been working on these deals for months, and to announce all 5 ahead of pre season is exactly how in an ideal world business would be done. Would it be realistic to expect us to have 5 signings ready and waiting for pre season? No. But the point is that Mowbray, even with safety secured, has only recently discovered his budget having had to wait to fly to India, so it puts us at a disadvantage.

In terms of individuals, Powell in particular is a bargain, he will get them goals and assists, in terms of him coming here obviously we have a number 10 as good as the majority in the league but Powell is still a very good player. Davies was brilliant for Barnsley and would walk into our side, as of course would Lindsay. Gregory would have offered far more credible competition for Graham. Cousins I agree is not very good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a position that needs strengthening is RB and have someone who can teach the position to Nyambe better.  I like him when I see him but he needs to improve a lot of areas of his game!  RB would also allow to play Bennett further up the pitch with the energy he has.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Sounds like Mowbray wanted him as backup to Lenihan as right CB. Which is worrying, we desperately need a partner for him.

We should be looking to improve the starting 11 especially the back 4, not improve the 4th choice cb option.

I've warmed to the downing signing a bit but i'm pretty confident he wont be at centre mid for us. I see him starting out wide or as the back up to Dack as a 10.

I'm hoping a few of the younger lads really stake a claim on the pre-season tour especially Buckley, Rankin-Costollo or Lyons. Could save us some money as we seem to be in the market for another centre mid, and hopefully we can use that saved money to get defensive reinforcements. But thats more likely to be a dream than a reality.

I’d say we need to do both.

If Lenihan is injured (he will be at some point) we need someone to take his place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ewoodnews said:

Or you tell him the truth that he might not start and then you don't have a player having expectation of starting every week.  Just like in every job people move, get sold the earth and then become annoyed at what was promised.

Personally he has little Championship experience and was demanding a lot of money so I think it is important to know when to say no thank you! 

If he was demanding a lot of money, he wouldn't have gone to Preston

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Come on mate, jokes aside...the guy has been playing in League 1. There’s no evidence that he can make the grade in the Championship? 

There's absolutely no evidence he can't either but as a free agent he represents a relatively cheap gamble.

I'd be pleased with Hanley coming in if it happens but Bauer on a permanent deal sounds better than Hanley on loan to me. Even if his return  were to be a success we'd be back to square one in 12 months time. 

If Hanley was being lined up permanently I'd be far happier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.