BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I’d say we need to do both.

If Lenihan is injured (he will be at some point) we need someone to take his place.

True, but i'd rather be starting the season with Lenihan and a new 1st choice centre back than starting the season with Lenihan and Williams/Mulgrew and having someone slightly better than Downing come in for 15 games a season when Lenihan is injured.

Just now, ewoodnews said:

I think a position that needs strengthening is RB and have someone who can teach the position to Nyambe better.  I like him when I see him but he needs to improve a lot of areas of his game!  RB would also allow to play Bennett further up the pitch with the energy he has.

I agree, but think nobody on here has mentioned left back. Bell has improved as the season has gone on but he doesn't fully convince. We also have no real backup as i'd rather play a training cone at left back than Williams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philipl said:

I saw enough of Bauer to hope he would only be a squad player.

Questionable whether he would displace Williams and Mulgrew.

I didn't see much of Bauer but what I did see wasn't better than the way Williams was playing at the end of last season. I was hoping for a really good centre half signing that would be a defensive stalwart and an organiser to bring on our younger defenders, I can't say Bauer looked like that player to me.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I agree, but think nobody on here has mentioned left back. Bell has improved as the season has gone on but he doesn't fully convince. We also have no real backup as i'd rather play a training cone at left back than Williams.

Personally we could sort out our problems if we played 3 at the back then you could have Bell and Bennett as wing backs and they don't need to do as much defending.  They both have the energy for that role.

You could have Lenihan Mulgrew Hanley as back but I still worry about Mulgrew and if he would just cause havoc in that.  TM has tried a few time in pre season to play 3 at the back and I think it is what he would like to do long term.

The other issue is we would need a lot more cover for 3 CB and therefore  don't think we will do that.

Edited by ewoodnews

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbrays comments about telling Bauer he might not come into the team worry me simply because they IMO point to Mowbray being reluctant to dislodge the likes of Williams and Mulgrew, I suspect them 2, Bell and Bennett will play fairly regularly in our defence this season and if thats the case we simply will continue to leak goals. If them comments are because he planned to always sign another centre back then fair enough. A lack of ruthlessness continues to be his achilles heel.

Also would much prefer Armstrong, Rothwell and Chapman over Mahoney.

Spot on the main thing you gather from it all is that as far as the beginning of the season goes he's keeping faith again and keeping his pecking order again.

We had a good start to last season when they were all fresh after summer and had the promotion bounce but the glaring porus defence was well in evidence right from the off because basically some of them struggle with Championship level football week in week out. Changing the defence about wily nily regularly looking for a formula never has the desired effect you don't need to have been a manager 20 years to realise that but being a professional centre half you should actually know how to put solid foundations in place and spot a mile off those who flatter to deceive.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Personally we could sort out our problems if we played 3 at the back then you could have Bell and Bennett as wing backs and they don't need to do as much defending.  They both have the energy for that role.

You could have Lenihan Mulgrew Hanley as back but I still worry about Mulgrew and if he would just cause havoc in that.  TM has tried a few time in pre season to play 3 at the back and I think it is what he would like to do long term.

The other issue is we would need a lot more cover for 3 CB and I thus don't think we will do that.

Mowbray has toyed with a back 3 a few times now, If we wanted to get a bit more life out of Mulgrew and Williams then it could work. But it just moves the issues to the wing backs. Nyambe is a good full back but not attacking enough to be an effective wing back (he's technically the worst crosser of a ball i've ever seen at Ewood), Bennett isn't quick enough to be the only wide player/isn't good enough 1v1. Bell would suit the system though.

• Like 1

IMV Mowbray’s honesty and integrity is a real catch 22. It allows us to get the more pragmatic of players - especially those coming towards the end of their careers and looking to not be mucked around I.e. Downing. But we’ve no doubt missed out on and will continue to do so on players due to this honesty. I do feel like he needs to be a little more ruthless - not just with transfers but across the board.

I do wonder if this is something return to. I know it was a disaster last time, but we clearly didn't have the players for it, just passed it around at the back, then the ball went to midfield and the move died.

Those three at centre half can all play, and could be a way of getting the most out of Mulgrew's undoubted strengths whilst taking some of the pressure away from his weaker points. Our midfield is more mobile with more players who look forward too. Not saying it would be the best way forward, but reasons to think that it could work a lot better than last time. 

38 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Hahahah this is mad. So it turns out that the manager has been tracking a league 1 defender who he rates but is asking to fight and be at his very best to get into our team....and he’s criticised for it!?

The fact that Preston gave (League 1 defender) Bauer the keys to the bloody city and that Bauer wasn’t prepared to back his own ability and needed his ego massaging to get the deal done says more about Preston and Bauer in my opinion!! 

Why would you vigorously chase player for a long time for him to be a squad player? That is the point you seem to be missing. To me it indicates that Mowbrays random transfer policy.

• Like 5

TM has tried a few time in pre season to play 3 at the back and I think it is what he would like to do long term.

The other issue is we would need a lot more cover for 3 CB and therefore  don't think we will do that.

Its obvious that this is the way Mowbray wants to play. Yet here we are in his 3rd pre season not really any nearer to being able to do it. We're already at the long term point. He's been in the job long term by Championship averages and we should be well on the way to being the way he wants us to be. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, renrag said:

In fairness you only asked for one.

A third point! We all know his predictions anyway?

I actually went on to say "and if there is one why should the MB get the blame?"  or words to that effect!

52 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If he isnt capable of dislodging Mulgrew or Williams then why has he even been chasing him? We need to sign players who can come straight into the team and the defence. Lets see if he can be ruthless with the defence as he must.

Who’s said he’s incapable of dislodging them? The manager is saying to Bauer that he needs to train well etc to get in the team!!? Jeez can’t believe what I’m reading here...

If we’d missed out on Sol Campbell in his prime id be worried. This guy is a 26yr Old from League 1. He absolutely would need to earn his stripes! 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Why would you vigorously chase player for a long time for him to be a squad player? That is the point you seem to be missing. To me it indicates that Mowbrays random transfer policy.

I’m not missing any point. Mowbray likes the player. Sees him as someone who could be good for us. But the guy is a league one defender and has just been asked to earn his place. If he would rather be the king of Preston then that says more about him and Preston than it does about us...

• Like 5

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I’m not missing any point. Mowbray likes the player. Sees him as someone who could be good for us. But the guy is a league one defender and has just been asked to earn his place. If he would rather be the king of Preston then that says more about him and Preston than it does about us...

Chasing a player for that length of time to be a squad player is a waste of time and resource. Do you think he would have been on Mowbrays a, b or c list? Given the endeavours I would suggest the first and if that only equates to a squad player then heaven help us.

If Mowbray hadn't said anything about being a squad player and he signed would you have been suited?

Just now, arbitro said:

Chasing a player for that length of time to be a squad player is a waste of time and resource. 

To a point, but I think we can overdo how much time and effort that actually uses up. It's not as though Mowbray was physically chasing him. 

• Like 4

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

To a point, but I think we can overdo how much time and effort that actually uses up. It's not as though Mowbray was physically chasing him. 

Yeah, I never got this. What time and resources went into us chasing them outside of a few LT/The Sun journo columns?

I can't imagine much resource was taken up enquiring about his availability to his agent.

With respect to his squad status quite frankly I'm happy he hasn't joined. He didn't look brilliant from what little I saw of him and if he was put off by having to fight for his place in the team then good riddance. 

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

He will have been constantly monitored and watched by Mowbrays scouts. If Mowbray knew how much he wanted he must have spoken to Bauers representatives. And even after finding that out he spoke to the player recently. That all takes time and effort.

Something about this just doesn't sit right with me.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

He will have been constantly monitored and watched by Mowbrays scouts. If Mowbray knew how much he wanted he must have spoken to Bauers representatives. And even after finding that out he spoke to the player recently. That all takes time and effort.

Something about this just doesn't sit right with me.

Why? I don't get it. We lost a player to another club that have, by the sounds of it, offered more playing time than we were willing to offer. We chased him last year, didn't get him, the interest obviously continued but ultimately it didn't work out. What doesn't sit right with you?

Over the course of a transfer window every single club will chase and ultimately lose several players. It's part of the game.

Am I right in thinking that he it was being suggested as wanting 30k a week due to being on a free transfer?

We need to see who we sign instead and then decide if we have missed out on a decent player.  Personally I think we can get better than a League 1 CB 

Edited by ewoodnews
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ewoodnews said:

I think a position that needs strengthening is RB and have someone who can teach the position to Nyambe better.  I like him when I see him but he needs to improve a lot of areas of his game!  RB would also allow to play Bennett further up the pitch with the energy he has.

Bennett shouldn't be playing. 

• Like 5

Just now, arbitro said:

Chasing a player for that length of time to be a squad player is a waste of time and resource. Do you think he would have been on Mowbrays a, b or c list? Given the endeavours I would suggest the first and if that only equates to a squad player then heaven help us.

If Mowbray hadn't said anything about being a squad player and he signed would you have been suited?

Mate, we’ve been interested in signing the guy for a year because we think he’s a good player...so what? He came in, was told he would need to work hard in order to get in the team and decided he preferred to be knighted on Preston town hall steps! ??

What on Earth is wrong with Mowbray telling any player that they’ve got to work hard to get into his team!? I’m baffled by your stance tbh.

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that he it was being suggested as wanting 30k a week due to being on a free transfer?

We need to see who we sign instead and then decide if we have missed out on a decent player.  Personally I think we can get better than a League 1 CB 

Mowbray suggested that he wanted 40-50K a week but he will certainly not be getting that at Preston. I'd be surprised if he was even getting 20K a week there.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Hahahah this is mad. So it turns out that the manager has been tracking a league 1 defender who he rates but is asking to fight and be at his very best to get into our team....and he’s criticised for it!?

The fact that Preston gave (League 1 defender) Bauer the keys to the bloody city and that Bauer wasn’t prepared to back his own ability and needed his ego massaging to get the deal done says more about Preston and Bauer in my opinion!! 

That’s exactly right, he’s from league 1, now if a quality premier league player was signing I would think TM would put a different slant on matters.

Mowbray’s quotes about guaranteed starter blah blah are getting to the unbearable stage now. If he has 2 legs and can head a ball then he starts ahead of Williams and Mulgrew. End of. 

I get the whole thing about having to prove yourself but you can’t tell me Alex Neil has turned to Bauer and said ‘you’re starting every game next season no matter what’.

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

They both have faults bluebruce, neither are PL quality as a result. Are we really going to get better than Hanley? I’d have him over the likes of Bauer any day of the week.

Nah he's a good Championship defender last I saw him. I wouldn't object per se, but I don't know how effective he and Lenihan would be as a pair. I just have reservations about that, and don't think Mulgrew should line up with anyone. If we signed another more disciplined, rounded centre half too, I'd be very happy. With that defender lining up with the winner of a Hanley-Lenihan fight for the shirt we'd be set at CB. I'm not sure we will put that much finance into that area.

We will, obviously, see how everything works out. Full disclosure, I have a slight dislike of Hanley as a character, as I thought he was one of the biggest on-pitch reasons for our relegation, we carried his poor performances for years, then he fucked off as soon as he finally had a good season. Water under the bridge if he comes back though, I wouldn't let that get in the way if he delivers the goods. Which he should be able to if he's matured over the years. Still a good age, should still have it physically as much as ever. He had some injuries though if I remember?