BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Mowbray tried to sign Bauer, in fact he spent a year chasing him.  

They might have been expecting Bauer to take a wage, say 8k that would have been more than he was on at Charlton.  If his agent said he is worth £1 million, your getting  him for no fee and he wants that figure spread over 3 years, its just under an additional 9.5k per week.  Preston may have been willing to break their pay structure but Rovers weren't?  Don't think we will every find out what has really gone on.

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, Hasta said:

We have conceded way too many headed goals from crosses and set pieces for two years now, and it's still not been addressed. That's what worries me about Mowbray and our lack of action, not the failing of the Bauer deal specifically. We don't seem to be able to upgrade the obvious weak areas.

I assume Hanley is now the primary target to sort this out, although we conceded plenty of goals with him at the back too.

Edited by DE.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I think you’ll find I’d said that the only time is seen him play he wasn’t great. But had he signed I would’ve certainly given him a chance...

And some....

33 minutes ago, Hasta said:

The problem with Bauer falling through isn't the circumstances around why it fell through. It's the fact we have appeared to need an aerially commanding centre half since we went down 24 months ago, have gone through 4 transfer windows and the only centre half we have been seriously  linked with  in this time has turned us down.

We have conceded way too many headed goals from crosses and set pieces for two years now, and it's still not been addressed. That's what worries me about Mowbray and our lack of action, not the failing of the Bauer deal specifically. We don't seem to be able to upgrade the obvious weak areas.

We know we have another problem at left back but I fear that issue will run and run for another half season at least.

Plenty of time left yet this window but I've thought that in previous windows and been disappointed.

I think this is very fair. Agree that the changes feel slow at times. I’m not particularly bothered about Bauer. If we can’t find better than him this summer then we’ve failed massively.

Contrary to what some on here think. I couldn’t give a shit about Mowbray. I only care about my club. Imo he’s done a very good job and I don’t accept 90% of the criticism that’s been levelled at him. But, he has stated on several occasions that he expects to be in and around the top 6. That he needs to strengthen in several areas and so if he doesn’t we don’t then I will be looking for answers and ramifications against the manager. 

• Like 5

Just now, pjt said:

They might have been expecting Bauer to take a wage, say 8k that would have been more than he was on at Charlton.  If his agent said he is worth £1 million, your getting  him for no fee and he wants that figure spread over 3 years, its just under an additional 9.5k per week.  Preston may have been willing to break their pay structure but Rovers weren't?  Don't think we will every find out what has really gone on.

I'll have a guess that Alex Neil came across as an ambitious, young manager who sold his club and showed belief in the player, and Mowbray came across as a dithering, wittering old lady who didn't.

Any serious runners and riders for next season will now be executing clear strategies, e.g. Stoke City.

Okay, they have the advantage of parachute payments, but I would wager that if their manager was at Rovers, things would be moving by now.

Time to get the transfer tombola machine out and pray.

• Like 7

Just now, pjt said:

Which he's perfectly entitled to do as a player like him is probably worth between 1 and 2 million min in todays daft market so our lot knew he was going to be free hence why they were interested but wouldn't pay for him in the first place. They also know very well how it works and that in all likelihood his agent would want similar to his value in wages spread over his contract it is the norm.

• Like 2

Just waiting for Hanley to be unable to agree terms now then those who were saying how he would bes so much a better option than Bauer will then no doubt  be saying  "he's rubbish" "didn't want him anyway" "liability off the pitch" and "we've dodged a bullet there" etc etc.

Last summer we seemingly drew a complete blank with all our main targets then started chucking telephone numbers about right at the end of the window at anyone who might still be available. Let's hope this window doesn't go the same way.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I'll have a guess that Alex Neil came across as an ambitious, young manager who sold his club and showed belief in the player, and Mowbray came across as a dithering, wittering old lady who didn't.

Any serious runners and riders for next season will now be executing clear strategies, e.g. Stoke City.

Okay, they have the advantage of parachute payments, but I would wager that if their manager was at Rovers, things would be moving by now.

Time to get the transfer tombola machine out and pray.

Spot on

24 minutes ago, DE. said:

I assume Hanley is now the primary target to sort this out, although we conceded plenty of goals with him at the back too.

If we sign him, yes, and he is just what we need.

If we don’t then no, he was never on the radar and not good enough either.

All joking aside, I really hope we don’t sign Hanley. Especially in a loan deal.

• Like 2

Although it would be a classic Mowbray signing i'm not sure Hanley will end up back here it's probably just a good name to link to Rovers at this moment.  Wasn't it started by Patrick Thistle in his red top rag ?

It'll just mean one of his pals wants to get Hanley on the move somewhere.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

All joking aside, I really hope we don’t sign Hanley. Especially in a loan deal.

Why wouldn’t you want us to sign Hanley? Championship pedigree, club captain of a newly promoted team, big, ugly, uncompromising, knows the club. I’d say he is the most ideal signing we could make. Permenant or loan...basically ticks every box? 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just waiting for Hanley to be unable to agree terms now then those who were saying how he would bes so much a better option than Bauer will then no doubt  be saying  "he's rubbish" "didn't want him anyway" "liability off the pitch" and "we've dodged a bullet there" etc etc.

Last summer we seemingly drew a complete blank with all our main targets then started chucking telephone numbers about right at the end of the window at anyone who might still be available. Let's hope this window doesn't go the same way.

The suggestion here is that this is how fans have reacted to Bauer. Iv not seen much evidence of that particular sway. I for one think Bauer could’ve been a good signing, maybe even a fantastic one! But I refuse to throw my toys out of my prom as if we’d just missed out on Harry Maguire! 

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Why wouldn’t you want us to sign Hanley? Championship pedigree, club captain of a newly promoted team, big, ugly, uncompromising, knows the club. I’d say he is the most ideal signing we could make. Permenant or loan...basically ticks every box? 

Hanley had a good final season for us but the year before he was pretty awful. He hasn't played regularly for a while so not really able to judge his recent form. Definitely some boxes not ticked - could go either way if he came back.  Would Mowbray be able to offer him a guaranteed starting place or would he also be a squad filler?

• Like 2

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

Hanley had a good final season for us but the year before he was pretty awful. He hasn't played regularly for a while so not really able to judge his recent form. Definitely some boxes not ticked - could go either way if he came back.  Would Mowbray be able to offer him a guaranteed starting place or would he also be a squad filler?

Like you I'm a bit concerned that Hanley could be a bit rusty. He's not the sort of player physically to benefit from being on the shelf for too long. I'd like to think he'd be an improvement on Williams but to be honest I wouldn't be heartbroken if we didn't sign him.

Downing signed.

Bauer wanted but rejected us.

Other speculations: Fielding, Hanley, O'Neill, Gallagher...........

Feeling distinctly underwhelmed.

Oh for a manager with a knowledge of the market and an ability to work it.

Think Mowbray is one of the biggest bullsh1tting managers we've had in recent times.  Told fans at Blues back in Feb what they wanted to hear and I think he's a million miles away from delivering that - IMO, a big, big let down.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

The high hopes I had of Mowbray’s talk at the consultation meeting about defensive signings coming are rapidly evaporating... but I can’t believe Mowbray is getting as much stick as he is.

Here is our back four on the first game of the season for the last few years... the first is before they came...

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

Salgado Hanley Nzonzi Olsson

Orr Dann Givet Lowe

Kane Dann Hanley Spurr

Baptiste Hanley Kilgallon Olson

Henley Hanley Duffy Olsson

Lowe Duffy Ward Henley

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

At the moment it looks like this time round it’ll be

Bennett Lenihan Williams Bell

Some of the illustrious subs include Greer, Ribeiro and Anderson...

The point being, failure to address glaring defensive issues in the summer window isn’t a Mowbray problem. If you can’t see a pattern, you are likely shutting your eyes, jamming your fingers in your ears and shouting to block what is being screamed out at you. The problem is 5,000 miles away.

I have no doubts at all Mowbray is absolutely desperate to properly rebuild the defence. If new permanent signings, for fees, who are actual proper defenders don’t happen, as well as being apoplectic with rage, I’ll also believe beyond any reasonable doubt that he isn’t in control of transfers and Venky’s are not sanctioning the signing of defenders.

For fucks sake, he’s already talking about converting Downing to full back (like Shebby did with Pedersen and Steven Gerrard!)... 

I hope I’m wrong. Time will tell. Until then I’m not going to get on Mowbray’s case. If my fears are realised it’ll be his integrity I’ll question rather than his judgement.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

You didn’t say ‘manipulating the club for his own ends’ in that first post, you talked about people pointing out some of his poor transfer decisions, his own weaknesses like lack of ruthlessness/motivational skills etc as ‘sticks to beat him with’, I said it’s fair game to talk about them.

Of course the school stuff etc. is ridiculous tin foil hat nonsense, but that wasn’t the thrust of that first post.

Fair point, maybe I wasn't as clear as I could've been in that first post about what was riling me, and should've expanded more like I went on to later in response to you. I don't have much time to contribute on here so sometimes don't manage to get my full point across as I'd like.

I still believe TM gets too much of a hard time from many on here, which spills over into being disrespectful to him which he doesn't deserve. There's constructive criticism, then there's conspiracy theories...

On Bauer, I'm not too fussed we've missed out on him, albeit it doesn't look great to have courted him for so long only to then miss out on him to PNE.  I would've questioned the wisdom of signing him in order to be 1st choice as he has no real pedigree at this level to justify that billing and if he did not like the idea of fighting for his place amongst equals then I'm not sure he was what we need anyway. TM did say in the forum that defenders (plural) are coming; he would no doubt have said the same to Bauer which might've made him think it would be too much competition, whereas PNE might not be looking for anyone else in his position.

It's speculative I guess, who knows. 

On Hanley, I'd be happy with that as a loan or permanent, I think he was vastly underrated by many at Rovers and thought in that last season he was a class act for this level. If he and Leni could strike up a partnership I reckon that alone could save us 15-20 goals, which would be enough to push us into top 6 territory even if we don't improve up front (which I think we will, be it thru new blood or existing younger players improving (i.e. the U23s and BB, Rothwell, Davenport, Armstrong, Dack, Travis). 

Ever the optimist eh?! ?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, 47er said:

Atko's Engine (great name by the way)

Cheers; if ever there was a player who achieved unexpected success through sheer dedication & steely determination over skill and finesse, it was Super Atko. He had limited ability as a Premier League midfielder but boy did he make up for it in graft & commitment, fully deserving of his place in history.

If only we had a couple like him now in CM... he'd be right up TM's street that's for sure!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Then and now, Compare and contrast:

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

Bennett Lenihan Williams Bell

I seem to remember that Mowbray gave strong indications at the consultation meting that he had lost interest in Bauer - obviously not the case in the end.

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

Cheers; if ever there was a player who achieved unexpected success through sheer dedication & steely determination over skill and finesse, it was Super Atko. He had limited ability as a Premier League midfielder but boy did he make up for it in graft & commitment, fully deserving of his place in history.

If only we had a couple like him now in CM... he'd be right up TM's street that's for sure!

You are not wrong. I have to ask though, is you first name Mark?

10 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Oh my god!!! ??? He isn’t ‘chasing a squad player’. He’s chasing a player who he likes and making it known to the player that they are not guaranteed to play if they do not perform / work hard. 

I have my own suspicions about the budget too btw...but there’s no suggestion here that the issue with Bauer was financial.

You repeat every post that Bauer was told he would have to fight for his place and therefore he chose Preston, where presumably his place is automatic and he won't have to fight for it. 

Is there any proof of this? Does anyone actually know this is true? Or do you simply say it over and over again to try to make it fact?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

I want Hanley to return, I just hope TM doesn't mention he'll have to fight for his place!Classic managerial error!! :wacko:

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

You repeat every post that Bauer was told he would have to fight for his place and therefore he chose Preston, where presumably his place is automatic and he won't have to fight for it. 

Is there any proof of this? Does anyone actually know this is true? Or do you simply say it over and over again to try to make it fact?

I for one am 100% confident it is not true.

Like those who say it is I have no proof to support my opinion, just logic and common sense and no interest in futile brainwashing tactics,

Preston fans don't seem to think Bauer is automatic choice but are gloating over the fact they got him:

"We’re expecting Bauer to really challenge Jordan Storey straight away, as he fits the bill as a partner for Ben Davies. As for Blackburn, it’s nice to know that not only did we dominate them on the pitch last season, but now off the pitch too with a deal for one of their top targets."

https://www.deepdaledigest.com/news/tony-mowbray-reacts-to-patrick-bauer-snubbing-blackburn-for-preston/

They also seem pleased they missed out on Armstrong

"How did Armstrong fare last season? Featuring mostly as a left-sided winger, Armstrong notched just five goals and three assists in 44 Championship games. That’s not exactly a great return for an allegedly exciting attacker, and North End maybe won’t feel too gutted about missing out."

https://www.deepdaledigest.com/news/how-have-prestons-club-record-targets-fared-since-2018-failure/