BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Torgeir said:

Yes, indeed. Ruptured his ACL while at Sunderland, and only 16 apps for Boro after signing for them for £5m last summer. Their version Ben Brereton perhaps?

Jaysus he is about 5 years older than Brereton. More like their Vince Grella.

I know he is highly rated and he looked decent when I saw him play a couple of times for Northern Ireland, but that injury record is concerning to me. 

41 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Shows the rapid lowering of expectations being disguised as positivity on the forum. Nobody would have been suggesting Payne in May. As well they shouldn’t have if we have any kind of aspirations.

Couldn’t get into our third division side and has just spent the season getting relegated to the fourth division. 

No one is ‘suggesting’ him now mate. He’s been linked this morning (probably by a lazy journalist) as a potential transfer target so it’s apt that we discuss him on the transfer thread, right?

Nothing to do with lowered aspirations!

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Jaysus he is about 5 years older than Brereton. More like their Vince Grella.

I know he is highly rated and he looked decent when I saw him play a couple of times for Northern Ireland, but that injury record is concerning to me. 

Agreed, I've had enough of us signing crocks to last a lifetime. Recently we've been doing better in that regard so let's not go back to that!

• Like 1

Quick scout on the 'Boro messageboard suggests that they'd be sorry to see him go, fell foul of not being a Pulis player apparently.

They're also of the opinion that they can get their £5million quid back and could be going to Sheff United (along with half of the football league, apparently) or Celtic.

Don't know how much we can read into any of that, other than 

1) Boro fans rate him

2) We're unlikely to get him on the cheap, if at all

Just now, Paul Mani said:

No one is ‘suggesting’ him now mate. He’s been linked this morning (probably by a lazy journalist) as a potential transfer target so it’s apt that we discuss him on the transfer thread, right?

Nothing to do with lowered aspirations!

Feel free to discuss him. A good number of posters are saying he would be a good option in said discussion.

Ergo lowered expectations.

• Like 2

On Payne, I messaged a Bradford supporting mate (also a season ticket holder) out of interest a couple of weeks ago. He responded with the following.

"Payne was easily our best player last season but other teams knew that if you stopped him you’d stop us. When we had amazing form over Xmas and we were beating every 4-0 he was brilliant but as soon as teams worked us out, Hopkin didn’t really know what to do with him.

We spent loads to keep him on and extend the terms of his loan and when he signed everyone was delighted but he didn’t put in one good performance after that. Bowyer ended up leaving him out the team and rightly so.

Sure he’ll do well but he really suffers from being unsure what player he is. Not quick enough to be forward or winger and too small to be a centre mid."

• Like 1

I think some of the criticism being thrown at Mowbray is a little harsh. The man has so far conducted himself with respect and honor in his role. He got us promoted, almost kept us up! Got us higher than another other League One that got promoted with us that year. Yes there areas that need to be addressed within the team. However, judge a transfer window by the end of it and not half way through it in pure panic. Every transfer window is the same on this board lose if you sign someone and lose if you sign no one.

Reality is that yes we need a CB, LB, Striker, Midfielder. We have a lot of the answers within the squad that needs to grow and step up again this season. The Right Back debate should be solved with the young Namibian we have in Ryan Nyambe, he is 21 with plenty to learn. Let that be his spot to learn and make errors, with Lenihan by his side. It is more the left side that worries me...

Mulgrew is an asset in his style and i feel like he could almost be the deep lying playmaker we have been looking for. I would almost look at doing 

---------------------Mulgrew------------

---------Evans--------Davenport/New

-------------------Dack---------------

There is till plenty of time in this window just be patient and give it a go and judge it by the end. It isn't as far doom and gloom as everyone is putting it to be. 

• Like 3

Just now, RoverKyle said:

On Payne, I messaged a Bradford supporting mate (also a season ticket holder) out of interest a couple of weeks ago. He responded with the following.

"Payne was easily our best player last season but other teams knew that if you stopped him you’d stop us. When we had amazing form over Xmas and we were beating every 4-0 he was brilliant but as soon as teams worked us out, Hopkin didn’t really know what to do with him.

We spent loads to keep him on and extend the terms of his loan and when he signed everyone was delighted but he didn’t put in one good performance after that. Bowyer ended up leaving him out the team and rightly so.

Sure he’ll do well but he really suffers from being unsure what player he is. Not quick enough to be forward or winger and too small to be a centre mid."

Do well in Argentina, like a Formica 

• Like 1

Just now, roverstdt said:

I think some of the criticism being thrown at Mowbray is a little harsh. The man has so far conducted himself with respect and honor in his role. He got us promoted, almost kept us up! Got us higher than another other League One that got promoted with us that year. Yes there areas that need to be addressed within the team. However, judge a transfer window by the end of it and not half way through it in pure panic. Every transfer window is the same on this board lose if you sign someone and lose if you sign no one.

Reality is that yes we need a CB, LB, Striker, Midfielder. We have a lot of the answers within the squad that needs to grow and step up again this season. The Right Back debate should be solved with the young Namibian we have in Ryan Nyambe, he is 21 with plenty to learn. Let that be his spot to learn and make errors, with Lenihan by his side. It is more the left side that worries me...

Mulgrew is an asset in his style and i feel like he could almost be the deep lying playmaker we have been looking for. I would almost look at doing 

There is till plenty of time in this window just be patient and give it a go and judge it by the end. It isn't as far doom and gloom as everyone is putting it to be. 

Mulgrew isn't going to play in midfield, nor would I want him too.

• Like 1

That would be the most immobile midfield in the league.  WE NEED PACE!!

• Like 2

Not sure what Rovers you've been watching, but any team without Travis in it is crazy. He's quite comfortably one of our better players, despite his relative age and experience.

• Like 7

Wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of where we're at & Mowbray's record. Only place I'd differ is that I don't think Mulgrew's body can take playing in midfield anymore, not even as a holding player.

I agree that it would be a shame if we can't make the most of out Mulgrew though. How we do that is tricky, one of three at the back, maybe as left-back  without expecting him to get forward? Everything seems a little bit shoehorned, sadly.

40 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

Why keep trotting this line about Mulgrew ?   For the umpteenth time he doesn't want to play there for a start he's said so himself and no way will Mowbray try and make him.

Then factor in he's just signing Downing and the glut of defensive mids we have it really isn't happening, not that it would work anyway.

As for the first bit I don't see many questioning all the old honour. integrity carbuncle that gets dragged up every time he gets a bit of flak.  It's a transfer window people are discussing why it appears the needs of the team are yet AGAIN not being addressed. His record in that area is pretty average so far and he has form for dallying around almost avoiding sorting out key areas in favour of overstocking others.

If supporters can't give constructive criticism of that then what are they supposed to discuss at this time of year ? 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

He gets paid for what he does..paid well. There is no honour. It's just a job to him

Looking at the squad cannot help thinking we need to shift on some of the dead wood like Smallwood, Mulgrew, Williams etc before we get anything coming on. I still find the Downing signing baffling as the squad has got plenty of experience already and I am not sure he is a step up in quality. My suspicion is Mowbray has small budget this summer and anything over a million is going back to Pune to be authorised.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's true that Mowbray has no honour in the job? Well, he says differently. Always speaks very highly of the club. 

Along with the "hes a lier" stuff, this is another nasty angle to take on things. 

I just don't get it 

He does that at every club I'd rather he was more ruthless and clinical being honourable means nothing if results do not follow. Cannot help thinking he benefits from following on from the Coyle debacle

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

I'd say a midfield of

Travis
                Rothwell                 Davenport
Downing                    Dack                      Armstrong

Would be much more mobile, with Travis and Davenport moving into a midfield two as we push forwards, with Dack joining the striker and Rothwell pushing up.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

The guy has been with two clubs who’ve been promoted out of the league and has 200+ appearances in the Championship. He’s 27yrs old and fits the type of cb profile we need with the added bonus of knowing the club. Agree to disagree.

He hardly played for either of them.

When he played regularly for Norwich (over 30 games) they finished 14th.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I'd say a midfield of

Travis

Would be much more mobile, with Travis and Davenport moving into a midfield two as we push forwards, with Dack joining the striker and Rothwell pushing up.

Why not play the two wingers on their natural side ? I can't be doing with these players who keep having to cut in field to get on their strongest foot. Apart from Travis who's going to get the ball for us ? Not many tackles in that line up.

• Like 2

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I'd say a midfield of

Travis

Would have to be 3 at the back with that midfield though and you have no wing backs. Unless you aren't going to play a striker :)