BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would have to be 3 at the back with that midfield though and you have no wing backs. Unless you aren't going to play a striker :) 

Yeah I think back three. Downing played wing-back for a time and for me I think that 3/5 back system in the Wigan 3-0 home win was our best performance of the season. Downing could drop and Davenport all played wing-back.

I think three-back is the best system we could use for sure, because Bell and Nyambe aren't good enough for me.

Raya

Nyambe  Lenihan Magloire Bell

Travis Downing

Chapman   Dack   Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Evans, Davenport, Brereton, Mulgrew, Butterworth, Armstrong, Leutwiler 

As things stand , that would be my starting 11 and subs for the first day. Obviously in real life Bennett and Williams will at least be on the bench. 

We definitely need a striker and centre back, but we aren't looking too bad when you take into account the young lads coming though. I haven't even included Buckley or Rankin-Costello. 

Would have to be 3 at the back with that midfield though and you have no wing backs. Unless you aren't going to play a striker :) 

So something like this as we defend:

Raya
                Lenihan      Mulgrew       Williams
Downing                       Travis                        Davenport
                            Dack           Rothwell
                          Graham      Armstrong

And something like this going forward with a bit more fluidity

Raya
                           Travis        Davenport
Downing            Dack           Rothwell          Armstrong
                                     Graham     

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I'd say a midfield of

Travis
                Rothwell                 Davenport
Downing                    Dack                      Armstrong

Would be much more mobile, with Travis and Davenport moving into a midfield two as we push forwards, with Dack joining the striker and Rothwell pushing up.

Three at the back? Adventurous.

We definitely need a striker and centre back, but we aren't looking too bad when you take into account the young lads coming though. I haven't even included Buckley or Rankin-Costello. 

For me, if I had my way, Buckley would be playing ahead of a 35-year-old winger at CDM. And Dan Butterworth would be on the bench every week at least. 

Yeah I think back three. Downing played wing-back for a time and for me I think that 3/5 back system in the Wigan 3-0 home win was our best performance of the season. Downing could drop and Davenport all played wing-back.

I think three-back is the best system we could use for sure, because Bell and Nyambe aren't good enough for me.

We don't have 2 good centre backs let alone 3.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

We don't have 2 good centre backs let alone 3.  

Much like Wigan (H), when you've not got a decent centre-back pairing, play three of them. Allow a Magloire or a Lenihan to really press in the middle of a three maybe, and the other two stay deeper. Much more solid that a two back with failing wing-backs like Bell - who offer nothing going forward with possession and are clearly shite at defending too given our goals against column.

So something like this as we defend:

Raya
Downing                       Travis                        Davenport
                            Dack           Rothwell
                          Graham      Armstrong

And something like this going forward with a bit more fluidity

Raya
                           Travis        Davenport
Downing            Dack           Rothwell          Armstrong
                                     Graham     

That's a lot of switching around and I am not sure about Downing and Davenport fulfilling their roles in the defensive set up.  We will definitely need to be more adaptable and flexible than last season and more importantly, the players need to look like they bloody understand what they are meant to be doing if we do switch to 3 at the back.  The confusion last season at times when we changed things was frustrating to watch. At times Mowbray was to blame for this, but other times the switches weren't so radical that it should have led to players becoming so flustered. 

Davenport started as a left-wing-back and played a lot there at Burton during his loan spell. For me our worst positions are full back, so to relieve stress on them I'd say a three-centre back system would be mightily helpful. We used it once and won 3-0, it totally confused the opposition who just didn't understand it.

Much like Wigan (H), when you've not got a decent centre-back pairing, play three of them. Allow a Magloire or a Lenihan to really press in the middle of a three maybe, and the other two stay deeper. Much more solid that a two back with failing wing-backs like Bell - who offer nothing going forward with possession and are clearly shite at defending too given our goals against column.

Fair enough comment. I actually don't buy the idea that our centre backs are terrible. Genuinely think they are exposed more often than they should be due to the lack of quality at full back. 

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Fair enough comment. I actually don't buy the idea that our centre backs are terrible. Genuinely think they are exposed more often than they should be due to the lack of quality at full back. 

And in central midfield when the Smallwood/Evans axis is in full play.

• Like 2

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Yeah I think that Williams was a revelation playing as a left-sided centre-back. He should be playing there, either in a three and starting, or as a replacement for someone else in a four.

Yeah I think that Williams was a revelation playing as a left-sided centre-back. He should be playing there, either in a three and starting, or as a replacement for someone else in a four.

I would still like if we signed another centre half, just so we A-have one and B- won't have to listen to non stop moaning about not signing one ?

Raya

Travis Downing

Graham

As things stand , that would be my starting 11 and subs for the first day. Obviously in real life Bennett and Williams will at least be on the bench. 

Magloire? He cant head a ball, he is nowhere near ready. Williams ended the season playing well although we certainly need one or two to dislodge him going forward.

Armstrong ended the season well playing on his better side, wide right, and Davenport would be in there for Downing who isnt a central midfielder, not in a 2 like that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Looking at the squad cannot help thinking we need to shift on some of the dead wood like Smallwood, Mulgrew, Williams etc before we get anything coming on. I still find the Downing signing baffling as the squad has got plenty of experience already and I am not sure he is a step up in quality. My suspicion is Mowbray has small budget this summer and anything over a million is going back to Pune to be authorised.

I suspect Smallwood will leave to get regular football somewhere. I think both Mulgrew and Williams will start the first game of the season

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Magloire? He cant head a ball, he is nowhere near ready. Williams ended the season playing well although we certainly need one or two to dislodge him going forward.

Armstrong ended the season well playing on his better side, wide right, and Davenport would be in there for Downing who isnt a central midfielder, not in a 2 like that.

You have to get young lads in sometime. As I said many times, we need a new center half to partner Lenihan, so that's the ideal scenario. 

Williams concerns me. I hope that this upturn in form will last and even that he builds on it, but I have seen him put in some really, really bad displays. At left back in fairness, but he still worries me. 

I went with Downing to add some experience. He has played centre midfield, I see no reason why he couldn't play that formation. 

You have to get young lads in sometime. As I said many times, we need a new center half to partner Lenihan, so that's the ideal scenario. 

Williams concerns me. I hope that this upturn in form will last and even that he builds on it, but I have seen him put in some really, really bad displays. At left back in fairness, but he still worries me. 

I went with Downing to add some experience. He has played centre midfield, I see no reason why he couldn't play that formation. 

I just think the youngster you mentioned specifically is nowhere near ready. We absolutely need a new centre back as you say, my worry is that Williams or Mulgrew will start the season which is why Mowbrays quotes about Bauer worried me.

As you touch on, Williams is a crap left back, he should only be a back up CB.

57 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

There is till plenty of time in this window just be patient and give it a go and judge it by the end. It isn't as far doom and gloom as everyone is putting it to be. 

I agree we should only judge TM by the end of a Transfer Window. I did, a year ago! 

Same old bullshit, same outcome----that's what I fear.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 47er said:

You repeat every post that Bauer was told he would have to fight for his place and therefore he chose Preston, where presumably his place is automatic and he won't have to fight for it. 

Is there any proof of this? Does anyone actually know this is true? Or do you simply say it over and over again to try to make it fact?

Not getting a response from am I Paul Mani?

The ideal scenario is putting Magloire in? No, the ideal scenario is buying a f**king centre half! 

• Like 4

The Wigan game isn't a great example as they were dreadful, a few days later playing 3 at the back we went to Sheffield Wednesday and conceded 4 which could easily have been 5 or 6. Nothing in Mowbray's recruitment over the last year suggests that he is looking to play 3 at the back, whereas you take Wilder at Sheffield United over the last few years he has signed players for his specific 3 at the back system. Whereas Mowbray has a scatter gun approach he signs a player and then decides where he is going to play him which is usually out of position.

But what ever system we play next season the defence needs a complete overhaul we need a new keeper, a right back/wing back, 2 new centre backs and a new left back/wing back. We won't achieve anything this year unless this happens. 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Raya

Travis Downing

Graham

Not happy with that personally. Too many questions and concerns. GK position unchanged. Question marks at full back. Still reliant on Dack and Graham. Question marks on Chapman, Rothwell, Davenport, Butterworth and Brereton in terms of capacity and capability to play regular Championship football.

Essentially weaker than last season without Reed and an older Graham. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It hasn't been at play since the midpoint of last season and it's unlikely we will ever see it again.

Keep up! 

I'd hope we don't see either in a Rovers shirt again personally.

• Like 1