BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sounds like the majority of meetings where I work. Lots of waffle, no actions. And to think they only do that twice a year on average. Simply cannot see us ever reaching the promised land under this lot.

Nailed it. Setup is completely wrong. If we do it'll be by sheer luck rather than proper planning. If I only could inherit Daddy's chicken business and waste £m's on a pet project with no care how it effects 1'000s of people's lives. Pr8cks. 

• Like 2

Has anyone mentioned Yakou  Meite, young player at Reading, turned 23 in February, put in some excellent performances last season in a poor team.

He's very quick, strong and can finish, reckon he could turn into a top player, I think he scored around 12 or 13 last season.

Transfermarkt reckon he's worth £1.5 m, I think we'd have to pay quite a bit more than that though.

Come on Tony, get in there lad.

• Backroom

If it is true than Mowbray and the owners are on different wavelengths regarding transfers than it is just proof that our operating model is dangerously out of sync and needs adjustment. In my view the manager should have no say in the budget he receives - he certainly shouldn't be advising the owners to spend more or less. That conversation should go on between the owners and the board. Consulting the manager on expectations is fine but that's as far as it should go. The board should then tell the manager what his budget is and what the targets are based on that budget.  This should all happen very shortly after the season ends - although in truth if the club isn't in danger of relegation or in contention for promotion it could easily be done before the season is over. It isn't that difficult. At this point depending on the model employed you either have a DoF or equivilent working with the manager on transfers, or the manager and his staff create targets and work with the club to make the deals happen. 

Why is it after 9 years we still appear to be operating under such an incomplete model which requires the owner to go out to India post-season and have a chinwag with the owners about issues that shouldn't even be a part of his job specification?

Edited by DE.
  • Like 5

It’s clear to me that TM is scared shitless of spending big and failing. I can’t blame him. Of the three promoted sides in 18/19, only Villa spent, and they scraped promotion via a low place play off finish, which in another season wouldn’t have come off.

TM knows that if he’s given a £20m to go massive that he has to get us into the top 6, and that’s a lot of pressure.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is it not a good thing that the owners want to spend money though? Makes a change from only signing Derrick Williams in the window for £250,000 

reckon a few could be surprised by what we spend this summer.

I will say it does sound like Mowbray is being cautious mindful of the fact that if Venkys spend more, we will need to be in contention for promotion. Especially when clubs are asking over the odds for players. 

Could you clarify that gnomic comment, please? As it reads, it reads - to me, anyway - like you're hedging your bets.

Do you mean 'a few could be surprised by how little we spend' or, as I think you mean, 'a few could be surprised by how much we spend this summer.'

• Moderation Lead
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

It’s clear to me that TM is scared shitless of spending big and failing. I can’t blame him. Of the three promoted sides in 18/19, only Villa spent, and they scraped promotion via a low place play off finish, which in another season wouldn’t have come off.

TM knows that if he’s given a £20m to go massive that he has to get us into the top 6, and that’s a lot of pressure.

Well, to be fair, any manager should want success and if he doesn't believe in his ability to be the man to deliver that, it's a bit of a concern, I'll be honest.

Assuming he has actually had to tell the owners to 'rein it in', he must be the first manager in history to do so.

It's bizarre that he knows we need new players and not players to just make up the numbers, ones that are good enough to get into the starting eleven with immediate effect and he doesn't seem to want to buy these players. 

• Like 1

Just now, m1st said:

Could you clarify that gnomic comment, please? As it reads, it reads - to me, anyway - like you're hedging your bets.

Do you mean 'a few could be surprised by how little we spend' or, as I think you mean, 'a few could be surprised by how much we spend this summer.'

I meant a few could be surprised by how much we spend this summer

Just now, m1st said:

"Gnomic".. lol

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He played in pretty much every game. So saying that is fake news! 

Please stop saying fake news. Trump invented/popularised it and he's a fucking idiot. The vast majority of the time he says it, he's lying. This causes my brain to briefly assume you're also lying, even when in this case you were correct. Cheers.

• Like 2

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Any ambitious manager should thrive on such pressure.

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

Please stop saying fake news. Trump invented/popularised it and he's a fucking idiot. The vast majority of the time he says it, he's lying. This causes my brain to briefly assume you're also lying, even when in this case you were correct. Cheers.

No, I like it, so I will continue using it. 

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

It's bizarre that he knows we need new players and not players to just make up the numbers, ones that are good enough to get into the starting eleven with immediate effect and he doesn't seem to want to buy these players. 

See, isn’t it just more obvious and sensible to think we (as a club) cannot attract/afford a certain calibre of player at the current time?

The fact Mowbray and Waggott have already prepped the fan base for players leaving if the money is right this summer (in numerous articles), tells me that any notion of smashing our wage cap or transfer record relies on sales.

I expect Mowbray would welcome a massive transfer kitty... IF he had free reign to bring in whoever he wanted.

Him coming out and telling us he had to talk down the owners I’d guess is a half truth... I imagine it far more likely that they were trying to foist players into him that he didn’t necessarily want that had been recommended by some trusted agent or another. I think he relented with Brereton in the end because it was him or nothing by that point.

I can see them sanctioning/insisting on 10 mil for Assombalonga... can’t see them sanctioning half that for Cooper. I know which I’d prefer and I expect Mowbray would agree.

• Like 7

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I meant a few could be surprised by how much we spend this summer

That isn’t any clearer.

Will we spend more than people would realistically expect, or less than people hope?

Just now, Stuart said:

That isn’t any clearer.

Will we spend more than people would realistically expect, or less than people hope?

Stuart the options the poster gave me were 

Do you mean 'a few could be surprised by how little we spend' or, as I think you mean, 'a few could be surprised by how much we spend this summer.'

I think my answer was clear seeing as I literally copy and pasted one of the answers!

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

From J*B’s ITK contact.

Ask him. But as TM is on the record stating how he’s held Venky’s back before, not exactly outlandish, is it?

It’s a transfer rumour, so being discussed on the transfer rumour thread... imagine that!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Shows how bad everyone else was last time round when a guy who can't last 90 mins or play 3 games in a week was our player of the season.

Or it shows how far off your opinion on Graham is. I'm fairly sure you're the only poster on here who thinks he is currently crap. It's a big worry whether he will deteriorate this year, but if he stays fit and plays like last season we're fine (in the current system of play). 

• Like 4

Just now, bluebruce said:

Or it shows how far off your opinion on Graham is. I'm fairly sure you're the only poster on here who thinks he is currently crap. It's a big worry whether he will deteriorate this year, but if he stays fit and plays like last season we're fine (in the current system of play). 

Not really.  Any half decent manager will suss that diagonal ball long to DG.  In fact, they did start to suss it out.

We need a new system, more dynamic and less predictable.

• Like 1