BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I like to read WhoScored, the statistical website and it's quite eye-opening I think in terms of midfield and perhaps this is why TM is looking at additions?

For example:

Harrison Reed - 33 apps, 3 goals and 5 assists, 76% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.86

Corry Evans - 35 apps, 0 goals or assists, 77% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.74

Lewis Travis - 26 apps, 1 goal and 0 assists, 82% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.68

Richie Smallwood - 32 apps, 0 goals and 1 assist, 76% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.48

Jack Rodwell - 21 apps, 1 goal and 0 assists, 73% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.43

It's not much of a contribution going forward is it? We've lost Reed as well.

For comparison:

Bradley Johnson - 31 apps, 2 goals and 3 assists, 75% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.93

They don't do League One, but Butterfield's totals as a Championship player since 2013 are as follows:

182 apps, 18 goals and 13 assists, 82% pass accuracy, an average rating of 6.83

Charlie Adam is difficult to assess as he's played almost exclusively the last decade in the Premier League, but his average rating is 6.87 in that time.

Statistics, shamistics. I know. And some of our midfielders are more spoilers and holders than creators. But we are massively reliant on Dack. Keeping hold of him is huge. But I think by adding Johnson we've improved, assuming he is replacing/or we are getting rid of Evans/Smallwood. 

Downing, I'm not sure where he fits in to be honest. 

But Butterfield/Adam are an upgrade - regardless of age - on Evans and Smallwood. 

However (and I'll shut up soon), if we add those two and retain the rest, I've no idea what we are playing at.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, AAK said:

Newcastle were interested, and they are a pretty atrocious outfit so hed get in their side. Only stayed up due to having one of the best managers in europe. 

Selling him would be madness, but as you say its been said mowbray likes him. So if it happened, are we saying venkys have told tm and sw to sell?

Been there before - remember Tom Cairney?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

OK, now the line on twitter is Evans to Rangers. Which would make sense. 

Anyway, it's all guesswork I would say 

I’d drive him there if we were getting a million for him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

The season was very good overall. Outside of that bad period we probably collected points in line with 6th - 8th in the league.

The issues that lead us into the downturn such as squad depth in particular at CB where we were unable to adequately manage during Lenihans injury or rash decisions from our keeper, the inability to change our style of play due to lack of ability and the failure of our new star signing (BB) to make an impact in those moments all contributed. The Manager should have seen the potential for the defence to crumble especially when he let Downing go but I do think Mulgrews deterioration was so fast.

So yes, the rational decision is to deal with what went wrong and then look to replicate (and build) on what we did well.

imo we need a GK, CB and CF. I 100% believe we will get all three.

I don’t want Adam but I think his (TM)obsession with them now is more down to the change in play that he’s trying to implement. He’s flushing out Smallwood and Evans who are miles behind Adam and Butterfield in terms of technical quality on the ball.

Even with Lenihan in the team (who himself can be very rash) our defence was crap last season. 

One area that is constantly neglected and one you have missed too is full back. Amarii Bell isnt a Championship quality full back, never mind one for a team going for the top 6, reluctant to drive forward, cant cross but crucially so flimsy in preventing crosses coming in. Nyambe is much better defensively but suffers quite regular dips in form, and Bennett will no doubt continue to be shoehorned in and regularly come up short. We need 2 full backs.

I dont see any suggestion that Evans and Smallwood will actually be moved on either, but I'd prefer Evans to Butterfield.

Just now, JonSnow said:

I like to read WhoScored, the statistical website and it's quite eye-opening I think in terms of midfield and perhaps this is why TM is looking at additions?

For example:

Harrison Reed - 33 apps, 3 goals and 5 assists, 76% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.86

Corry Evans - 35 apps, 0 goals or assists, 77% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.74

Lewis Travis - 26 apps, 1 goal and 0 assists, 82% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.68

Richie Smallwood - 32 apps, 0 goals and 1 assist, 76% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.48

Jack Rodwell - 21 apps, 1 goal and 0 assists, 73% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.43

It's not much of a contribution going forward is it? We've lost Reed as well.

For comparison:

Bradley Johnson - 31 apps, 2 goals and 3 assists, 75% pass accuracy, a rating of 6.93

They don't do League One, but Butterfield's totals as a Championship player since 2013 are as follows:

182 apps, 18 goals and 13 assists, 82% pass accuracy, an average rating of 6.83

Charlie Adam is difficult to assess as he's played almost exclusively the last decade in the Premier League, but his average rating is 6.87 in that time.

Statistics, shamistics. I know. And some of our midfielders are more spoilers and holders than creators. But we are massively reliant on Dack. Keeping hold of him is huge. But I think by adding Johnson we've improved, assuming he is replacing/or we are getting rid of Evans/Smallwood. 

Downing, I'm not sure where he fits in to be honest. 

But Butterfield/Adam are an upgrade - regardless of age - on Evans and Smallwood. 

However (and I'll shut up soon), if we add those two and retain the rest, I've no idea what we are playing at.

Derby fans would drive Butterfield up here themselves, he wouldnt be a good addition.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Even with Lenihan in the team (who himself can be very rash) our defence was crap last season. 

One area that is constantly neglected and one you have missed too is full back. Amarii Bell isnt a Championship quality full back, never mind one for a team going for the top 6, reluctant to drive forward, cant cross but crucially so flimsy in preventing crosses coming in. Nyambe is much better defensively but suffers quite regular dips in form, and Bennett will no doubt continue to be shoehorned in and regularly come up short. We need 2 full backs.

I dont see any suggestion that Evans and Smallwood will actually be moved on either, but I'd prefer Evans to Butterfield.

Derby fans would drive Butterfield up here themselves, he wouldnt be a good addition.

He's a bit of a nob by all accounts and one to avoid IMO. 

Believe he's had a few scrapes with the law and likes the booze a bit too much. 

• Backroom
Just now, Ossydave said:

He's a bit of a nob by all accounts and one to avoid IMO. 

Believe he's had a few scrapes with the law and likes the booze a bit too much. 

Sounds like him and Dack would get on well.

• Backroom
Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

If we end up with Johnson, Adam, Downing, Butterfield, Dann, Gallagher and Ruddy. 

If we let go of Raya, Rodwell, Smallwood, Evans and Mulgrew. 

Would people call that a good transfer window? 

No. Full back positions not addressed and I wouldn't want Dann back anyway. We'd probably be slightly stronger as a team but I think our defence would continue to be a massive achilles heel, especially if Lenihan gets injured again. Also the average age of the team will have gone up considerably with Johnson, Adam, Downing, Dann and Ruddy all being well over 30 and Butterfield soon to be out of his 20's as well. Not exactly building for the future.

57 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Butterworth and magloire are promising young players.

Buckley is the real deal . He could do with being kicked in league 1 or two for a season and half but if he continues developing he willing be a very good player for us.

Now we've got Johnson, maybe he can just kick Buckley around in training?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stuart said:

It’s a good question. Is it lack of money, or lack of ambition?

It’s hard to defend Venkys over Mowbray. But we are in the midst of a mini crisis and Mowbray himself says that he is telling Venkys not to spend.

Tbh, I’ve never heard of this Pontus person but it sounds like neither have our scouts.

We need a signing that all of our fans can get behind but I feel like this has been the case for about three years.

It's lack of know how Stuart.

1 hour ago, JonSnow said:

22 in October, started about 20 games at this level, one goal scored, no assists. 

But I get your point. In this silly age of transfer fees you'd want to be pushing eight figures for him. I doubt we'd get more than £5m.

He changes the speed of play. Head up straight away. Moves the ball foward. I have no idea of general market value but he is our best midfielder by far:

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

No. Full back positions not addressed and I wouldn't want Dann back anyway. We'd probably be slightly stronger as a team but I think our defence would continue to be a massive achilles heel, especially if Lenihan gets injured again. Also the average age of the team will have gone up considerably with Johnson, Adam, Downing, Dann and Ruddy all being well over 30 and Butterfield soon to be out of his 20's as well. Not exactly building for the future.

Agree entirely.  If we don’t get proper cover in the full back areas, then the central defenders will be pulled out of position and as a result we will leak goals like a burst water pipe in Darwin town centre, no matter who plays in the CH positions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

Hope you're right (about the money if not Gallagher) I'm not sure about him but you can see how this will be spun if he joins Wigan. This place will be more toxic than Chernobyl.

It would actually be a rare  bit of good news if Gallagher chose Wigan then we could concentrate on getting someone better in.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

If we end up with Johnson, Adam, Downing, Butterfield, Dann, Gallagher and Ruddy. 

If we let go of Raya, Rodwell, Smallwood, Evans and Mulgrew. 

Would people call that a good transfer window? 

Yes if we are promoted

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mings moving to villa for £30 million. That's what we are dealing with these days. 

On Travis, before ye all start getting the pitch forks out. The poster clearly said Mowbray likes him and is reluctant to sell. 

Bowyer was reluctant to sell Cairney...