BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

foolish
/ˈfuːlɪʃ/
adjective
  1. lacking good sense or judgement; unwise.
    "he was foolish enough to confide in her"
    synonyms: stupidsillyidiotichalf-wittedwitlessbrainlessmindlessthoughtlessimprudentincautiousirresponsibleinjudiciousindiscreetunwiseunintelligentunreasonableMore

Judging  by Mowbray's comments it seems we can dismiss the prospects of a better keeper than Raya coming in. It sounds like we got an offer in we weren't particularly expecting and decided we needed the money to spend in other areas hoping we can get another keeper in a loan or a free.

Two problems with that, anyone permanent will be older and/or not as good and if it's a loan who does well  then we're left with exactly the same problem of having to replace him in twelve months time.

It seems a crazier decision by the hour. At least if there was a conscious decision to sell Raya and replace him with someone better we'd already lined up, whilst I don't agree with the assessment of Raya at least there'd be an elenent of foresight and planning to it.

The other point is that if we need whatever's left out of 3m after bringing another keeper in to spend elsewhere, how bad must the budget be?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

If we end up with Johnson, Adam, Downing, Butterfield, Dann, Gallagher and Ruddy. 

If we let go of Raya, Rodwell, Smallwood, Evans and Mulgrew. 

Would people call that a good transfer window? 

No!!!

26 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Rubbish, we now have a bit of know how in the midfield, a quality crosser of the ball who can actually bet the first defender and a midfield general who has a nasty streak with some worldly quality about him as well. 

Well, we might have had if said players had come in at least 5 years ago.

Club is a joke under these lot, always will be. Why do people think this will change? Not bought a ST or any club merchandise since 2012 and will continue that stance, these lot are criminal. Get optimistic for a day and then remember we have venkys.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

In my humble untrained opinion he is and I’m sure others would back me up.

technically brilliant,  creates space, never seems to be marked or in a rush just picks the ball up in acres of space and can hit passes, dribble. He has a good engine, very mobile and likes to get stuck in and out a foot in. I’ve seen him play centre mid (his best position imo) RB, RW And he was the best on the field including the opposition anywhere he played.

What he lacks in physical strength he makes up for with tenacity and work rate. He is a yard quicker in his head than those around him. Really good football brain and technical ability.

i honestly think he’s class. Still can improve, I think he needs to shoot more From distance and make more runs into the box ala lampard but everything he lacks can Ben taught . The qualities he has some will never learn. Very naturally gifted

Is Buckley fro Blackburn 

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

In my humble untrained opinion he is and I’m sure others would back me up.

technically brilliant,  creates space, never seems to be marked or in a rush just picks the ball up in acres of space and can hit passes, dribble. He has a good engine, very mobile and likes to get stuck in and out a foot in. I’ve seen him play centre mid (his best position imo) RB, RW And he was the best on the field including the opposition anywhere he played.

What he lacks in physical strength he makes up for with tenacity and work rate. He is a yard quicker in his head than those around him. Really good football brain and technical ability.

i honestly think he’s class. Still can improve, I think he needs to shoot more From distance and make more runs into the box ala lampard but everything he lacks can Ben taught . The qualities he has some will never learn. Very naturally gifted

Absolutely bang on. Without doubt the best of what is coming through. Much better than Travis. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Judging  by Mowbray's comments it seems we can dismiss the prospects of a better keeper than Raya coming in. It sounds like we got an offer in we weren't particularly expecting and decided we needed the money to spend in other areas hoping we can get another keeper in a loan or a free.

Two problems with that, anyone permanent will be older and/or not as good and if it's a loan who does well  then we're left with exactly the same problem of having to replace him in twelve months time.

It seems a crazier decision by the hour. At least if there was a conscious decision to sell Raya and replace him with someone better we'd already lined up, whilst I don't agree with the assessment of Raya at least there'd be an elenent of foresight and planning to it.

The other point is that if we need whatever's left out of 3m after bringing another keeper in to spend elsewhere, how bad must the budget be?

Agree. All the more stupid then the way Mowbray chose to treat him and scapegoat him in the last few months of the season. What did he expect the fallout to be?

Raya was almost certainly happy to stay until Mowbray acted the way he did last spring. It's also telling how much credit the GK coach at Brenford has been awarded in the move. Tells you all you need to know about Benson (from Raya's perspective too).

BIG few weeks now Tony. Prove to the fan base you're not the dithering fool I fear you've become.

Sell Travis and you might as well book a fortnite away with the Mrs for November as the fans will not give you an inch if we flounder around in the first month or two with "Dads Army!" Prove your worth.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

• Moderation Lead

I’ve only seen Buckley in the first team once and he looked too lightweight and nervous. Presumably he won’t be like that forever, but there seems to be some creative licence going on here saying he’s better than Travis. 

He may end up being in time, but he really isn’t based on what I’ve seen so far.

Replacing a first team regular that is up to speed with someone who isn’t yet is usually the kind of behaviour that ends in tears. 

• Like 5

Just now, K-Hod said:

I’ve only seen Buckley in the first team once and he looked too lightweight and nervous. Presumably he won’t be like that forever, but there seems to be some creative licence going on here saying he’s better than Travis. 

He may end up being in time, but he really isn’t based on what I’ve seen so far.

Replacing a first team regular that is up to speed with someone who isn’t yet is usually the kind of behaviour that ends in tears. 

Yeah, sorry tbh I meant WILL BE much better than Travis.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Yeah, sorry tbh I meant WILL BE much better than Travis.

From the one game I've seen of Buckley he looks a totally different player to Travis. Much more of a old school number 8?

47 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Buckley is / will be better than Travis. 

Not that I want, nor would be happy if we sold him!

Heard anything about Travis from your Johnson source?

Just now, J*B said:

From the one game I've seen of Buckley he looks a totally different player to Travis. Much more of a old school number 8?

Yes, plays on the half turn. Bursts into spaces and is technically much better than Travis who’s more a 4. 

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Also, it would be totally contrary to  everything Mowbray has done before if Buckley were suddenly under consideration for a first team slot bearing in mind the likes of Brereton Rothwell and Chapman who he actually went out and signed couldn't get much game time.