BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Trying to catch up here lads where’s all this Travis stuff come from???

??

5 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sorry had a long drive, name I got was Travis with some prem interest , mowbray considering to strengthen elsewhere as we are stocked in mids but he is reluctant to sell as he likes him 

• Like 1

From the Derby County fans forum re- Butterfield

Decent midfield with Charlie Adam on trial with Johnson and butterfield.... about 5 years ago!

Tony Mowbray's Blue and White Dad's Army  !!

•  
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

If we end up with Johnson, Adam, Downing, Butterfield, Dann, Gallagher and Ruddy. 

If we let go of Raya, Rodwell, Smallwood, Evans and Mulgrew. 

Would people call that a good transfer window? 

Long way to go before that happens. Only 2 out of the seven you mention have actually come in and only 2 out of the 5 you mention have gone out.

Might as well say 'Would people be happy if De Gea, Maguire,  Kante and Assombalonga came in and Raya Mulgrew Evans and Graham left?"

If what you're suggesting actually happenes though I'd say none of the 5 outgoings apart from Raya would be missed.

However I'd also say that none of the potential incomings would be any particular improvement either so no it wouldn't be a particularly good window.

• Like 1

All the indications to date are of no money or extremely limited funds unless money is brought in through sale(s) first. Not only in the business done to date but also reading between the lines of Mowbray's comments post-India trip. The about turn in his comments from the bold ambitions of May to the backtracking and down-scaling of expectations is concerning.

We haven't spent a penny as yet, there's no serious evidence of bids even being made, most of the players we've been linked with are free agents. The only contracted player that we've seemingly been after is Sam Gallagher and Nixon now appears to be suggesting that we're still undecided on whether to compete with Wigan for his signature. That might or might not happen but we're talking a similar cost to what we've received for Raya. The rest are cases of Mowbray looking at trialists and no doubt waiting until the deadline approaches for prices to drop and for the Premier League loans to come up for grabs.

A proactive, well planned and organised club and recruitment department would not be going through the window as we have done so far. A proactive club has a list of targets within a budget and works through those. See Brentford for an example. What we are doing is very much reactive. Having a look at over the hill trialists to see if they can 'do a job' for 12 months without incurring a transfer fee. Waiting to see which prices drop or which players are allowed out on loan. Hoping and waiting to see what happens.

All this talk last summer of a 2-3 year building plan, recruitment being organised, multi-window building - doesn't stack up with what we've seen and heard in the last few weeks.

It's following a similar pattern to all previous summer windows to be honest, and the only hope is that like in previous years as the weeks tick by India then drops extra cash into the mixer as has happened closer to deadline day in the past. I certainly can't believe Mowbray would want things to be like this.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Trying to catch up here lads where’s all this Travis stuff come from???

Starts from first post on page 333.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

All the indications to date are of no money or extremely limited funds unless money is brought in through sale(s) first. Not only in the business done to date but also reading between the lines of Mowbray's comments post-India trip. The about turn in his comments from the bold ambitions of May to the backtracking and down-scaling of expectations is concerning.

We haven't spent a penny as yet, there's no serious evidence of bids even being made, most of the players we've been linked with are free agents. The only contracted player that we've seemingly been after is Sam Gallagher and Nixon now appears to be suggesting that we're still undecided on whether to compete with Wigan for his signature. That might or might not happen but we're talking a similar cost to what we've received for Raya. The rest are cases of Mowbray looking at trialists and no doubt waiting until the deadline approaches for prices to drop and for the Premier League loans to come up for grabs.

A proactive, well planned and organised club and recruitment department would not be going through the window as we have done so far. A proactive club has a list of targets within a budget and works through those. See Brentford for an example. What we are doing is very much reactive. Having a look at over the hill trialists to see if they can 'do a job' for 12 months without incurring a transfer fee. Waiting to see which prices drop or which players are allowed out on loan. Hoping and waiting to see what happens.

All this talk last summer of a 2-3 year building plan, recruitment being organised, multi-window building - doesn't stack up with what we've seen and heard in the last few weeks.

It's following a similar pattern to all previous summer windows to be honest, and the only hope is that like in previous years as the weeks tick by India then drops extra cash into the mixer as has happened closer to deadline day in the past. I certainly can't believe Mowbray would want things to be like this.

It all seems identical to last season to be honest, waiting until the last minute hoping some scraps fall off the Premier League loan table at the last minute then no doubt panicking like mad at the 11th hour when they don't.

The Raya sale is very confusing. Indicative of a miniscule budget. However if the budget is comparable to last summer's very respectable 11m in fees plus wages and I were the owners I'd have Waggott and Mowbray back on the plane to India sharpish to read them the riot act and ask why we've signed a 32 year old, a 35 year old, have a 33 year old and a guy who just got relegated to League 2 with Bradford on trial, and have sold our first choice keeper.

• Like 3

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Wigan after David Marshall you’d hope rivers would compete for his signature but you just know cook would charm him more than TM who’s got the same charm as a dried up leather shammy

“Well son, your going to have to fight for your place with young Jayson but if you are up for it the challenge is there”.

The worst thing about all this is that replacing Raya like-for-like doesn’t address the fact that there is no real competition for the number one shirt (lack of motivation) and a coach who knows less about goalkeeping than the guy who comes in (lack of development).

It’s a shame we can’t spend this “same budget as last year” on a package deal for a number one, number two and a decent coach. Marshall or Kuszczak, plus Fielding and Kiely (or Freidel), in. Leutwiler to the U23s and Fisher loaned out to a L1 side. All a pipe dream obviously.

Oh and we still need a cb.

Just now, Stuart said:

“Well son, your going to have to fight for your place with young Jayson but if you are up for it the challenge is there”.

The worst thing about all this is that replacing Raya like-for-like doesn’t address the fact that there is no real competition for the number one shirt (lack of motivation) and a coach who knows less about goalkeeping than the guy who comes in (lack of development).

It’s a shame we can’t spend this “same budget as last year” on a package deal for a number one, number two and a decent coach. Marshall or Kuszczak, plus Fielding and Kiely (or Freidel), in. Leutwiler to the U23s and Fisher loaned out to a L1 side. All a pipe dream obviously.

Oh and we still need a cb.

Jordan Archer was released by Millwall - he looked really good there for a while but lost his way (and place) this season. I think he’d be one who could give a good no.1 a challenge.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

It all seems identical to last season to be honest, waiting until the last minute hoping some scraps fall off the Premier League loan table at the last minute then no doubt panicking like mad at the 11th hour when they don't.

The Raya sale is very confusing. Indicative of a miniscule budget. However if the budget is comparable to last summer's very respectable 11m in fees plus wages and I were the owners I'd have Waggott and Mowbray back on the plane to India sharpish to read them the riot act and ask why we've signed a 32 year old, a 35 year old, have a 33 year old and a guy who just got relegated to League 2 with Bradford on trial, and have sold our first choice keeper.

I think Raya and Mowbray fell out, simple as that really. He dropped him last few games of the season after some pretty big errors, and then Raya wanted to go.

He's a great shot stopper, but his kicking is a atrocious, he's weak on crosses and always has a mistake in him.

Would have preferred him to stay, but it's no big blow to lose him I think. We should be able to find someone adequate.

Who needs not to be sold under any circumstances (because it is highly unlikely we will find better replacements, and they are out best players) - Dack, Graham, Travis, Lenihan, Rothwell. Anyone else in the squad I think is not only replaceable but also improvable. I include Raya in that, there's a decent chance we will bring in someone better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I’ve only seen Buckley in the first team once and he looked too lightweight and nervous. Presumably he won’t be like that forever, but there seems to be some creative licence going on here saying he’s better than Travis. 

He may end up being in time, but he really isn’t based on what I’ve seen so far.

Replacing a first team regular that is up to speed with someone who isn’t yet is usually the kind of behaviour that ends in tears. 

Buckley a quality player, very versatile. But I’ve found myself saying that about countless youth players at the club then it never happens.

JRC another one where you think, surely this is his year with all the injuries. I’d say Buckley easily the best thing coming through right now though, from what I’ve seen at Leyland most weeks.

Just been having a look at the business other teams in the league have done. One team that really stood out was Barnsley.

Not unlike Mowbray, Stendel has done a bit of a raid on his past club, Hannover rather than Middlesbrough in this case. But as well as a couple from Germany they have also bought in what look like two big young centre halves from Denmark and Belgium. I don’t profess to know anything about these players, and they might not be any good, but while no doubt helped by the fact they have a manager from Europe, their scouting network clearly stretches a lot further than ours.

968FE892-5202-4929-A19C-EFB039E737AE.jpeg

In the Coyle summer window in came two busted flushes and an on loan defender supposedly as back up but really to plug expected gaps cheap as poss then later on in came a decent player on a free and a loan striker, you know who. Along with of course the usual very questionable signing we seem to get every year.

Soon after out went a home grown player disillusioned with the club and another bought cheap and polished to sell who supposedly fallen out with the manager, both around the 4 mill mark. Money to pay the bills and cover previous commitments,

There could well end up parallels in the next 6 months and we know how that ended.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AAK said:

Club is a joke under these lot, always will be. Why do people think this will change? Not bought a ST or any club merchandise since 2012 and will continue that stance, these lot are criminal. Get optimistic for a day and then remember we have venkys.

Exactly. Anyone who says otherwise is just kidding themselves. Slow build or slow death ?

1 hour ago, seanobrfc said:

Mate of mine who works at the academy says Buckley is guaranteed a big move once he's hit 20 or so appearances for us! Massive talent that lad

Ridiculous statement.  Not pulling up trees at youth level really, needs to grow if hes going to play in the EFL.   Travis is so far ahead of him.

1 hour ago, Traviscon said:

Mentioned by someone on Twitter I think, and it's snowballed from there really.

Ah... I won’t shit my pants just yet then.

Goes without saying though that that would be a monumentally stupid decision unless it was proper, proper megabucks that went straight back into the team (ha yeah right)

Just now, Miller11 said:

Just been having a look at the business other teams in the league have done. One team that really stood out was Barnsley.

Not unlike Mowbray, Stendel has done a bit of a raid on his past club, Hannover rather than Middlesbrough in this case. But as well as a couple from Germany they have also bought in what look like two big young centre halves from Denmark and Belgium. I don’t profess to know anything about these players, and they might not be any good, but while no doubt helped by the fact they have a manager from Europe, their scouting network clearly stretches a lot further than ours.

968FE892-5202-4929-A19C-EFB039E737AE.jpeg

These are just cheaper replacements for two fantastic centre halves that they’ve sold though.

Tykes fans are gutted and getting deja vu from when they last came up and flogged Winnall and Hourihane etc... 

Time will tell.

Ah... I won’t shit my pants just yet then.

Goes without saying though that that would be a monumentally stupid decision unless it was proper, proper megabucks that went straight back into the team (ha yeah right)

I know Newcastle were sniffing around Travis after that Cup game, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone from the PL makes a cheeky offer. 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Ridiculous statement.  Not pulling up trees at youth level really, needs to grow if hes going to play in the EFL.   Travis is so far ahead of him.

Travis is half a season ahead of him. But I can tell you that everyone rates him as the best potential in the academy. Including Travis. Buckley is the one they fully expect to play PL football. It’s not just his ability either, also the most mobile and best mentally.

• Like 1

These are just cheaper replacements for two fantastic centre halves that they’ve sold though.

Tykes fans are gutted and getting deja vu from when they last came up and flogged Winnall and Hourihane etc... 

Time will tell.

I reckon Barnsley will surprise a few and build themselves up to be a force in the Championship. A bit like Brentford they'll lose a couple of quality players every year but recruit very well and through a combination of good scouting and good coaching will overachieve.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Travis is half a season ahead of him. But I can tell you that everyone rates him as the best potential in the academy. Including Travis. Buckley is the one they fully expect to play PL football. It’s not just his ability either, also the most mobile and best mentally.

I go to Leyland regularly as I live very close. I just dont agree with you. He is nowhere near starting for the first team whereas LT is one of the first names on the sheet.  Hope he comes good but lower league for me.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I agree. Saw quite a few U23 games last season, and he was the best player in almost every game including top PL oppositions. Very exciting player, combination of workrate, going past player and picking a pass. Don't think we had similar type before. 

• Like 1