BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

This site is as moderated for children as the Ewood terraces.

If there is demand for a crèche section then there is demand for an over-18s and and over-40s.

Is there a standing section?

• Like 2

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to everyone in this forum, I am a 40 year old father of 3 and not the type man to swear every other word, so sorry but I'm was also under the impression it was a football forum and a group of friends so it was in context. ANYWAY ....... back to the transfers.... hope for a go 2 new defenders and an amazing season for myself the wife and two of my children to watch in our season ticket seats ....... we believe.... in tony we trust 

Edited by geedog13
  • Like 5

Just now, rigger said:

A wing back has to be able to defend, Bell upto now has shown no ability to do this.

I’m not saying he’s brilliant but his attributes are more suited to wing back than fullback...don’t you think?

• Like 3

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I’m not saying he’s brilliant but his attributes are more suited to wing back than fullback...don’t you think?

100% he was brought in with the view to being a wing back. Had it from the Fleetwood chairman himself...(along with us being a bigger club). Wether we end up playing him there is a different story!

No, what I think, from what I have seen so far, his attributes would suit a club that isn't Blackburn Rovers. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Shouldn’t wing backs be able to cross a ball?

Biggest attribute for wingbacks is the ability to get up and down. Though crossing desired and defo needs to be worked on...

Wonder how that wingback option from Rangers that @Bbrovers2288 mentioned is getting on?

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Johnson, Butterfield and Carson. Looks like someone has been visiting Derby a lot recently.

It doesn't take a scouting network for that it takes an agent probably working on behalf of the club moving them out.

• Like 1

No point ‘getting up and down’ if he can’t distribute the ball. Otherwise should have just kept Lowe and put him there.

I’m not the manager mate. I just pointed out that I thought Bell was more suited to being a wingback than a fullback.

Edit - As is Bennett

Edited by Paul Mani

I’m not the manager mate. I just pointed out that I thought Bell was more suited to being a wingback than a fullback.

I’m quoting what you said the attributes of a wing back are, sounds like we agree that apart from being athletic, because he is someone who can’t defend or distribute the ball, he doesn’t have them

• Like 1

I’m quoting what you said the attributes of a wing back are, sounds like we agree that apart from being athletic, because he is someone who can’t defend or distribute the ball, he doesn’t have them

I said ‘the biggest’ attribute not the only attribute. I agree that the others you mentioned are important too...but as per my initial point, both Bennett and Bell are more suited to being wingbacks than fullbacks...wouldn’t you agree?

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

A wing back has to be able to defend, Bell upto now has shown no ability to do this.

Other than being able to run forwards in a straight line quite quickly Bell is crap, terrible defender.  He was a cheap young signing though from lge 1 for lge 1 so it was worth a punt but time to improve although i wouldn't shut the door on him i'd look to loan him back to where he is more suited for a season. He was a Mowbray signing for money though which means he'll be kept involved, probably doesn't moan when he's rotated so that'll be even more attractive to the manager.

What i would do though before i moved him would be sort out a good centre half first and foremost !

• Like 1

I said ‘the biggest’ attribute not the only attribute. I agree that the others you mentioned are important too...but as per my initial point, both Bennett and Bell are more suited to being wingbacks than fullbacks...wouldn’t you agree?

More suited? As in they are wholly inadequate full backs, but as they have a ‘good engine’ and can run and down a flank a lot, but with no actual output? ... yeah, I suppose.

A basic level of crossing and defensive ability is all I’m after, I have higher expectations of a Championship level wing back, obviously.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

More suited? As in they are wholly inadequate full backs, but as they have a ‘good engine’ and can run and down a flank a lot, but with no actual output? ... yeah, I suppose.

That’s exactly what I meant tbf! ??

Just now, rovers11 said:

GK and the Man City loanee to be announced today? 

My money is still on Carson for the GK position, although I’d prefer Joe Hart. 

Experienced centre half, another GK, LB, and central midfielder needed after that. 

Bloody hell mate, you paying?

• Like 2

Bennetts crossing and distribution is shocking at times for a professional 

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

They triggered his contract after Raya asked to leave. Just to back themselves up. Fully expect him to leave if / when they secure both primary targets. My guess is that they’ll offer to rip his contract up and remove the fee. He has options. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he says no thanks and sticks it out even if we do offer to release him without a fee. He's probably earning a decent enough amount here. It's just odd to me. It's not like it'd be that difficult to bring in a replacement for Leutwiler! Tony just seems to really struggle with letting players go - Conway, Gladwin, Rodwell all offered contracts even though with the possible exception of Rodwell all three should probably have been certs to leave. Obviously Conway left by choice but Mowbray seems really reluctant to just let a player go. I don't know if it's the loyalty thing or whether he was really unsure about his budget at that point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

GK and the Man City loanee to be announced today? 

My money is still on Carson for the GK position, although I’d prefer Joe Hart. 

Experienced centre half, another GK, LB, and central midfielder needed after that. 

I'd say out of that the second centreback is a necessity, goal keeper and left back nice to have.

However I don't get central midfield at at all. We've literally got seven players who can play there from established talent (Travis, Johnson) mediocre plodders (Evans, Smallwood, Bennett) to promising youngsters (Davenport, Buckley). Plus Rothwell can slot in there too (though I see him more as a number 10 / inside forward).

Why would we sign more there? Only going to push Davenport and Buckley further away from the team.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

• Backroom

A basic level of crossing and defensive ability is all I’m after, I have higher expectations of a Championship level wing back, obviously.

Have to agree, I don't think we have any decent wing backs on the books at the moment. Nyambe might be a competent RB/CB, and Bennett a decent backup CM/RM, but I wouldn't want either of them trying to supply crosses. Playing with wing backs tends to leave a lot of space behind - obviously in theory the LCB and RCB as well as at least one of the DM's will be covering this area as well, but that can very quickly turn into players being pulled out of position and gaps available to be exploited in both central and wide positions. You need a few smart players back there to organise and ensure the shape remains tight. I'm not sure we have anybody like that in the team, let alone a few of them. If TM is planning to play a wing back formation with three at the back then I would say at least one experienced CB is a must, and two new full backs. I just don't see it succeeding otherwise.