BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

From Wikipedia:

James Alexander Arnold (born 6 August 1950) is an English former football goalkeeper, noted for his highly intelligent positional ability. He made 165 league appearances in a seventeen-year career in the Football League.[2]

He arrived in the professional game in 1979, at the late age of 29, when he signed with Blackburn Rovers from Stafford Rangers. Two years, one promotion out of the Third Division, and 58 league appearances later, he moved on to Everton. He spent four years as Everton's back-up keeper, as the club won the First Division title and the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup. 

Trent’s Grandad?

Just now, CD_93 said:

Nixon saying Wolves clearing the way for Ruddy to leave and Ross County want him.

Imagine.

Following the rumours of him not wanting to move from the Norwich area it might say more about him than it does about us. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Not bringing in an experienced CB would be suicidal IMO.TM is surely not that dumb; it would only add to the theory around the V's not willing to pay decent cash for a defender. Be interesting to hear him get grilled if we don't sign a CB (loans excluded) at the next fans forum...

I'm guessing it won't even be touched on, and if it is Mowbray will just say "defenders are coming in January" and everyone will lap it up anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, Neal said:

Following the rumours of him not wanting to move from the Norwich area it might say more about him than it does about us. 

It’s Jack Ruddy that one, not John. 

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

You reckon he'll be in the team from the off? I wouldn't put my money on it.

I get the point about Morrison being a good shout but perhaps he had a mate (like Bennett for Johnson) at Reading, or he liked Berkshire?

Transfer business isn’t a simple process, and whilst we’d agree things can and should improve, we’d disagree on the level of suggested incompetence.

Whilst “Ad” would be a loan from a big club that you aren’t impressed by, it’s easy to point out his previous exploits in this division as a promising sign.

If a GK arrives (an upgrade on Raya) - I’m still convinced we will be a step up from a team not too far away last season!

As for Johnson - I’d expect him and Evans/Travis to start the season at this point going on the back end of last season. Injuries / sales could change this, and the only player in the centre I see us signing, (if any) would be Charlie Adam; and he is very much “a ready made player who would expect to gointo the team.

No good for us.”

Not too far away? We finished 15th. Largely because we couldn’t defend.

If a new keeper and a young lad that’s hardly played centre half is going to make all the difference in your view, then fair enough, though I doubt it was how TM  was visualising it in May.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Not too far away? We finished 15th. Largely because we couldn’t defend.

If a new keeper and a young lad that’s hardly played centre half is going to make all the difference in your view, then fair enough, though I doubt it was how TM  was visualising it in May.

12 points off the Playoffs? It’s hardly miles away BB. 

When would a “step up” equate to “all the difference”too?

Semantics bent to disagree per chance? 

• Like 1

14 points with a crap goal difference, and yes it is when there were 10 other clubs in the way.

I presumed as you thought we ‘werent far away’ said players being a ‘step up’ would push us to the top 6..

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

14 points with a crap goal difference, and yes it is when there were 10 other clubs in the way.

I presumed as you thought we ‘werent far away’ said players would push us to the top 6..

For all the points we dropped from decent positions, an experienced GK + better “game management” would’ve made quite a difference IMO.

That doesn’t mean I think Wes Fo and “Ad” away from the playoffs btw. There’s always more middle ground than the extreme!

Say Hanley re-appeared too, (on top of two new GKs, the City loan) perhaps as Norwich’ squad shapes and he is 4th choice - id be more confident than I’ve been at any point since the Rao’s took-over. 

• Like 1

Raya wasn’t the problem he didn’t drop us that much points and the stats show he prevented a lot of goals,

two week to get a keeper in and hope he clicks with the team is ridiculous.

makes you wonder what Mowbray was doing for the last 4 months when most managers would have a plan to execute.

• Like 4

• Backroom

Appreciate the optimism Biz but come on, we were a significant way away from the playoffs last season in the end, largely owing to that horrific run of form after January. We conceded the most away goals in the division (and maybe the entire football league?) so we clearly had a very pronounced problem at the back. Mowbray is out of his mind if he thinks bringing in a new goalkeeper and a young loanee from City is going to suddenly turn that around. Mulgrew is a year older now and Williams is only a competent CB at best. Everybody expected a proper CB to be brought in this summer and if it doesn't happen there should be no excuses being created to try and defend the owners and/or manager, as it was a critical area of the team that once again appears to have been neglected in favour of buying attacking players as usual. It's been nine years and the owners still don't appear to have learned that you build from the back. 

• Like 8

Just now, pick32 said:

makes you wonder what Mowbray was doing for the last 4 months when most managers would have a plan to execute.

Same as many other clubs - competition for players can be fierce. 

I find it strange more people aren’t impressed by the seemingly “silent running” that the club operates in these days. The closest person to the club (imo) is Sharpe - and he’s convinced Carson isn’t the front runner.

I still hope J*B’s Adrian snippet comes off. 

• Like 2

Just now, Biz said:

For all the points we dropped from decent positions, an experienced GK + better “game management” would’ve made quite a difference IMO.

That doesn’t mean I think Wes Fo and “Ad” away from the playoffs btw. There’s always more middle ground than the extreme!

Say Hanley re-appeared too, (on top of two new GKs, the City loan) perhaps as Norwich’ squad shapes and he is 4th choice - id be more confident than I’ve been at any point since the Rao’s took-over. 

You said we weren’t far away, I presume that means from the top 6? So an improved side ergo has us challenging, no?

No extremes with me as we’ll be mid table again, it’s you that sounds like he needs to cool your jets.

Where is the improved ‘game management’ coming from defensively, by the way? Just this keeper who we don’t even know? Or a young lad who’s hardly played centre half?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Appreciate the optimism Biz but come on, we were a significant way away from the playoffs last season in the end, largely owing to that horrific run of form after January. We conceded the most away goals in the division (and maybe the entire football league?) so we clearly had a very pronounced problem at the back. Mowbray is out of his mind if he thinks bringing in a new goalkeeper and a young loanee from City is going to suddenly turn that around. Mulgrew is a year older now and Williams is only a competent CB at best. Everybody expected a proper CB to be brought in this summer and if it doesn't happen there should be no excuses being created to try and defend the owners and/or manager, as it was a critical area of the team that once again appears to have been neglected in favour of buying attacking players as usual. It's been nine years and the owners still don't appear to have learned that you build from the back. 

Couldn't agree more the midfielders and strikeforce is more than capable for the championship. The defence has been the problem. For a few years if were honest. We got relegated weren't tested in league one and they showed last year they weren't good enough at times. Sort the defence keep Dack and we have an outside chance for top 6

The difference between success and failure is so small at times. I to dont think we are to far away from the top 6 with a signing or 2 and a bit of luck. 

But likewise i dont think we are to far away from a relegation scrap with some poor signings and bad luck

• Like 3