BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, JHRover said:

Twas ever the case. For some reason we go after people then tell them they won't be playing. No wonder we can't sign anyone!

I don't really get the confusion.  If you are a player and you meet a manager to discuss joining his club you are going to get an impression of how much the manager rates you and what his plans are for you, this doesn't mean he promises to start you 37 times in the league or that you will only play ten times.  

One of the problems I see this summer is to do with how much TM rates Mulgrew, his captain and a big presence in the dressing room.  Did he tell Bauer he must battle with the captain to get into the team?  Did that put him off?

Personally, I would have been trying to move Charlie on, make someone else captain and allocate more of the budget on a replacement than any other position but if TM thinks Mulgrew can still do it then this may be part of the problem.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, it's the exact same ? Would you stop. De Ligt is a prodigy, an absolute revelation. He has just moved to Juventus for over £80 million ,wheras Wharton couldn't barely get a game at Lincoln city or Bury last season. 

As usual, you miss the point and spout some rot!

I am talking about Mowbray's reference to physique, strength etc.  IMO, it's feckin nonsense.

Is there really much difference to physique of De Ligt ?

Crouch is a beanpole.  With Mowbray's argument, he hasn't the strength and would get bullied by those big bad centre halves (which we are crying out for but Mowbray can't find!!!).

And if he feels like Wharton needs bulking up then why the feck do we have gyms and fitness coaches etc.  Bulking up is pretty straightforward.  Compare Shearer's physique pre cruciate and his other injuries to the latter part of his career.  Presumably you think that was down to all the pies he ate and Newcastle Browns he downed!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

No excuses for what has been a really poor transfer window, had months to prepare and has fluffed it up again. 9 days left to save our season and actually give us something to play for! 

The goalkeeper and defensive is weaker than last season and the mildfield is probably on par.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I still don't get this frequently floated about concept of promising people game time and us backing out of deals on that basis. Any defender we bring in should be expecting or expected to establish themselves as regulars in the team. Why are we going after people we don't think are going to be playing? The inference then is that Mulgrew or William's will be playing regularly, which suggests we aren't serious about progressing. Same thing happened with Bauer. Apparently Preston 'promised' him more game time than we would. Eh? 

It is pretty simple. Why should we guarantee a player game time? That just means no matter how he performs, he will get a certain number of games. If they are too good to leave out, fair play to them. Everybody wins. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why should we guarantee a player game time? That just means no matter how he performs, he will get a certain number of games. If they are too good to leave out, fair play to them. Everybody wins. 

Seems to work for Elliot Bennett?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Being not good enough for Blackburn doesn't mean a player is without value. Better to get some money for him than to leave for free. Tony has made some cracking signings. Dack and Rothwell are especially absolutely brilliant buys. 

They are his best two buys by a million miles. Hardly typical of his ventures into the transfer market though.

• Like 1

It is pretty simple. Why should we guarantee a player game time? That just means no matter how he performs, he will get a certain number of games. If they are too good to leave out, fair play to them. Everybody wins. 

and if Rovers could sign Messi would he be guaranteed game time?

It's pretty simple.  If we are looking to sign players who are no better than what we have then what the feck is the point?

Back in Feb at Blues, I seem to recall Mowbray promising signings that would make a difference and take us to the next level.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, briansol said:

I know top European clubs like Real Madrid are big on doing squats to make players more explosive. 

Wharton could certainly bulk up a bit to compete better. Andy Todd as somebody mentioned a good example of height isn't everything

Ah but he did have  a good rabbit punch to compensate. 

Just now, Mercer said:

and if Rovers could sign Messi would he be guaranteed game time?

It's pretty simple.  If we are looking to sign players who are no better than what we have then what the feck is the point?

Back in Feb at Blues, I seem to recall Mowbray promising signings that would make a difference and take us to the next level.

Did you not learn after you clunky comparison between De Light and Wharton? Messi would get game time because he is the best player in the world. The players within our budget aren't the best players in the world and therefore should not be guaranteed game time. 

I am sure we are targeting players to improve the team, hence why it's not straight forward signing them as other clubs want them or their parent clubs don't want to sell. Again, they should not be guaranteed game time. 

I think we actually agree here so not sure what the issue is. No player no matter who should be 'guaranteed' a certain number of games. It should depend entirely on how they play and perform on matchday and in training. So the talk about us not being able to promise Bauer or the City lad a set number of games I think Is probably nonsense and just an excuse for us failing to get them. As if Preston have promised Bauer a certain number of appearances.

But if we are looking at players to sit behind Mulgrew and Williams and fill in when needed with no serious intention of playing them regularly then it is no surprise we are missing out on targets. Anyone we try to get should be with a view to them being better than those here.

• Like 2

David Bates, the Ginger Ramos, has been released by Hamburg on a free (along with several other HSV players.)

Just announced if you're reading, Tony. ?

They are also letting the German U21 goalie go for free. Firesale by a basket-case of a club.

Edited by markread
  • Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

I think we actually agree here so not sure what the issue is. No player no matter who should be 'guaranteed' a certain number of games. It should depend entirely on how they play and perform on matchday and in training. So the talk about us not being able to promise Bauer or the City lad a set number of games I think Is probably nonsense and just an excuse for us failing to get them. As if Preston have promised Bauer a certain number of appearances.

But if we are looking at players to sit behind Mulgrew and Williams and fill in when needed with no serious intention of playing them regularly then it is no surprise we are missing out on targets. Anyone we try to get should be with a view to them being better than those here.

Ya, I agree with that. 

Big few days coming up 

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did you not learn after you clunky comparison between De Light and Wharton? Messi would get game time because he is the best player in the world. The players within our budget aren't the best players in the world and therefore should not be guaranteed game time. 

I am sure we are targeting players to improve the team, hence why it's not straight forward signing them as other clubs want them or their parent clubs don't want to sell. Again, they should not be guaranteed game time. 

Look, I've had enough of what I think is feckin claptrap from Mowbray.

'We need time to bed them in, they need to understand how we play, we need to improve their fitness levels, he's only a kid, he needs to learn how to play the position (not as good as Evans / Smallwood)'.

Numerous examples of us signing players and not playing them (Brereton), playing them out of position (Armstrong, Reed etc) or they seemed to be made of glass (Chapman, Davenport, Gladwin).

Mowbray has been here for two and a half years now and there is little evidence of success with his scouting network or his contacts.  History shows that there are diamonds to be found in both non league and lower league football (home and abroad) - to name just a few who readily come to mind, Keegan, Gordon Hill, Kevin Phillips, Cahill, Charlie Austin, Bullard, Troy Deeney, Smalling, Les Ferdinand, Rickie Lambert, Vardy, Stones, Lucas Neil, Colin Hendry, Samba, Nelsen, Nzonzi and even Mark Atkins from Scunny!!!

Sadly for Rovers, I think these days we end up mainly with the Gerard Ratner cr@p.

IMO, until we have a manager who knows, and can work, the market, we are going nowhere.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

Look, I've had enough of what I think is feckin claptrap from Mowbray.

'We need time to bed them in, they need to understand how we play, we need to improve their fitness levels, he's only a kid, he needs to learn how to play the position (not as good as Evans / Smallwood)'.

Numerous examples of us signing players and not playing them (Brereton), playing them out of position (Armstrong, Reed etc) or they seemed to be made of glass (Chapman, Davenport, Gladwin).

Mowbray has been here for two and a half years now and there is little evidence of success with his scouting network or his contacts.  History shows that there are diamonds to be found in both non league and lower league football (home and abroad) - to name just a few who readily come to mind, Keegan, Gordon Hill, Kevin Phillips, Cahill, Charlie Austin, Bullard, Troy Deeney, Smalling, Les Ferdinand, Rickie Lambert, Vardy, Stones, Lucas Neil, Colin Hendry, Samba, Nelsen, Nzonzi and even Mark Atkins from Scunny!!!

Sadly for Rovers, I think these days we end up mainly with the Gerard Ratner cr@p.

IMO, until we have a manager who both knows and can work the market, we are going nowhere.

Strap yourself in for a disappointment until Venkys have slithered off then, skipper. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, markread said:

David Bates, the Ginger Ramos, has been released by Hamburg on a free (along with several other HSV players.)

Just announced if you're reading, Tony. ?

They are also letting the German U21 goalie go for free. Firesale by a basket-case of a club.

Got a link?

Is the Gk the Pollersbeck guy? 

So, another (Groundhog) day goes by and not only no signings but not even any links/rumours/sniffs of any new blood coming in. Must be saving the money for a big push in the January window, good tactics.

Just now, DeeCee said:

So, another (Groundhog) day goes by and not only no signings but not even any links/rumours/sniffs of any new blood coming in. Must be saving the money for a big push in the January window, good tactics.

aye, big push to get ourselves out the bottom three after christmas