BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Stuart said:

I’ll personally be delighted if Mowbray brought in players to the starting XI on Saturday to prove me wrong but by his own comments they are likely to have to fight their way into the side. We need upgrades and we buy makeweights. That’s because he doesn’t want to upset the senior players. 

Think TMs the only manager I can ever recall being criticised for expecting players to work their way into the team, and not simply turn up!

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

You wouldn’t really be grateful.

Footballers with any sense never badmouth their old club and you know this so you are just trying to set me up. But that’s ok, I’m used to you now imy.

You only have to look at how the old guard have continued to be a mainstays in the side while the likes of Rothwell and Reed and Palmer have made way. The latter two leaving. He dropped Smallwood and Mulgrew at the end of last season - or did he? They’ve both featured in pre-season.

I’ll personally be delighted if Mowbray brought in players to the starting XI on Saturday to prove me wrong but by his own comments they are likely to have to fight their way into the side. We need upgrades and we buy makeweights. That’s because he doesn’t want to upset the senior players. Bloke thinks he’s Shankly or Paisley or something but without the players.

Mulgrew should be dropped for Tosin tomorrow. If not then our recruitment strategy and/or man-management approach does not work.

You may want to take off your tin foil hat Stuart... ?

So there are no examples of unhappy footballers from the last few years to support your theory? Got it.

Reed and Palmer were loanees. Palmer played in the position of Dack... surely you are not suggesting that Dack be dropped for Palmer? Hasn't exactly been pulling up any trees anywhere else he has gone... Reed was a decent player but his best position is CM and Travis has made that position his own, Travis or Reed? Rothwell has put his head down and got on with it, in fact he has been extremely positive about his manager and near the end of the season started a lot more games.

Johnson and Walton will definitely start, Gallagher possibly too. That would be 3/5 of our new signings straight into the side. 

The last one Im guessing is a joke? Starting a player with less than a weeks worth of training for our club captain? I'm guessing the players we are signing are for the 46 game championship season and not the first 6 games?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Apparently not! 

Anyway, I’m off for an extended break.

This causes me much more stress than my 9-5 and I don’t get paid for it.

Thanks for the last 9 years everyone.

Please, don't. 

It's an obvious personal dig and if anything he should be treated as the guidelines state. Doesn't matter who he digs at and as I said its clear as day. 

Just now, imy9 said:

You may want to take off your tin foil hat Stuart... ?

So there are no examples of unhappy footballers from the last few years to support your theory? Got it.

Reed and Palmer were loanees. Palmer played in the position of Dack... surely you are not suggesting that Dack be dropped for Palmer? Hasn't exactly been pulling up any trees anywhere else he has gone... Reed was a decent player but his best position is CM and Travis has made that position his own, Travis or Reed? Rothwell has put his head down and got on with it, in fact he has been extremely positive about his manager and near the end of the season started a lot more games.

Johnson and Walton will definitely start, Gallagher possibly too. That would be 3/5 of our new signings straight into the side. 

The last one Im guessing is a joke? Starting a player with less than a weeks worth of training for our club captain? I'm guessing the players we are signing are for the 46 game championship season and not the first 6 games?

You’ve just proven my point imy.

I would absolutely have replaced Mulgrew this Summer. Has Mowbray?

There only being a few days from signing until the first game is Mowbray’s fault, not mine, but it can be done.

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

Different leagues but I think Nuttall will score more goals for Blackpool this season than the combined efforts of Brereton and Gallagher for Rovers.

But that might be because he plays more games, not because he is better. Of the three you have mentioned Nuttall would be my last choice.

Well IF Nuttall is a success in League One ..ill blame Damien Johnson for letting him go ..because if Johnson can keep getting all the praise for youngsters being PICKED for the first team last season (even though TM allegedly picks the team) then he can take the blame for his release!

But then again its only League One ..he should blitz it no excuses ..just like some on here said we should blitz it when relegated!

The boy aint good enough for Championship football ..

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Nuttall has shown more than Brereton when he's had the chance----and that's what irks me.

He really hasn't. Brereton looks a far better dribbler, is quicker and has shown better fininishes. What exactly has Nuttall shown that he is better at in your opinion? 

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

You’ve just proven my point imy.

I would absolutely have replaced Mulgrew this Summer. Has Mowbray?

There only being a few days from signing until the first game is Mowbray’s fault, not mine, but it can be done.

Which bit Stuart? Think I debunked every point you made. ??

Yes Stuart you may have. Tony has decided to bring in competition for Centre half and perhaps start with Mulgrew. Thats his decision and he will live or die by those decisions. 

A few days before the start of the season, we are stronger than last season IMO and as Phillip has pointed out in a different thread, what a great position to be in with a week left of the window...no pressure, with some money in our pockets.

• Like 2

On Nuttall, some players have to be sold. The squad is too big. More will leave before the deadline. 

To make out that it's Mowbrays fault for him not developing here is bullshit. He signed him and gave him plenty of chances. Literally got his professional career back on track. 

Hopefully he does well at Blackpool, but I don't think he will ever be a double figures championship striker. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 5

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Nobody has let Nuttall down. I for one championed his inclusion in the squad but simply put when he had appearances he didn't put the kind of shift in you'd expect from a striker in this league. Too lightweight, not the greatest touch in the world and would never hammer defences down or run the channels. The three lads we have in front of him are all better and one could argue Samuel is better too.

Whether Nuttall will do well at Blackpool is anyones guess. I think he will. He gets in the right places and has an eye for goal. That level may suit him more.

It's crazy how players that sign for us are instantly confined to the poor player category, where their bad attributes are highlighted, and suddenly when a player goes he becomes the best player we've seen in that position and sorely let down by the club.

There isn't one. One bit of positive feedback Mowbray used to get on here is that he looks like he has the squad playing for him, which they are, and that the dressing room atmosphere has taken a massive up turn since he came. It has. There's not been a hint of bad management on behalf of Mowbray, it's just that on here some wild assumption like that has legs all in the name of "opinion", whether or not it is fact-based is irrelevant. 

I'm the total opposite of an ITK; I'm just a dyed in the wool Rovers' fan who gets his season ticket, 'invests' [?] in Rovers Readies, regularly chants "Rovers till I die" on certain Saturday afternoons throughout the year and generally just wants This Great Club Of Ours to succeed at the highest level possible level.

What this dialogue has got me wondering, though, is if the foundations aren't being laid for Mowbray to become the club's General Manager with Damian Johnson succeeding him as Team Manager.

Many pages ago, I'm sure I read a suggestion of Matt Jansen being encouraged to apply to succeed Johnson as Under-23s/Academy Manager which if I didn't  ❤️, I should have.

It brought back memories from the 1960s to the '80s of the Liverpool 'boot room' when, after Bill Shankly retired, he was succeeded by a dynasty of internal appointments and former players - Steve Highway as something like Academy Manager springs to mind - working inside the club. We had the germ of this idea in the late 1960s when Johnny Carey came back as General Manager with Eddie Quigley as Team Boss. Ajax and, I think, Bayern Munich work on similar lines; and I'd like to think we could establish a similar system.

Having read the Times article about Mowbray on the train up to Newcastle in January and having read similar comments about him recently in this thread, I'm one who thinks that he's a decent human being,  who's been a positive influence even if his team selections are sometimes somewhat, erm, bewildering to us.

For me, he would have a fitting legacy if the club could be seen in years to come to have set up something similar to the Ajax set-up on the football management side of Ewood.

• Like 5

It’s amazing how fans opinions differ so much, never seen anything in BB to sugest he will make it at this level, gets bullied every game and has zero composure.

Edited by pick32
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You wouldn’t really be grateful.

Footballers with any sense never badmouth their old club and you know this so you are just trying to set me up. But that’s ok, I’m used to you now imy.

You only have to look at how the old guard have continued to be a mainstays in the side while the likes of Rothwell and Reed and Palmer have made way. The latter two leaving. He dropped Smallwood and Mulgrew at the end of last season - or did he? They’ve both featured in pre-season.

I’ll personally be delighted if Mowbray brought in players to the starting XI on Saturday to prove me wrong but by his own comments they are likely to have to fight their way into the side. We need upgrades and we buy makeweights. That’s because he doesn’t want to upset the senior players. Bloke thinks he’s Shankly or Paisley or something but without the players.

Mulgrew should be dropped for Tosin tomorrow. If not then our recruitment strategy and/or man-management approach does not work.

How do you know what Mulgrew is going to do tomorrow ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Nobody has let Nuttall down. I for one championed his inclusion in the squad but simply put when he had appearances he didn't put the kind of shift in you'd expect from a striker in this league. Too lightweight, not the greatest touch in the world and would never hammer defences down or run the channels. The three lads we have in front of him are all better and one could argue Samuel is better too.

Whether Nuttall will do well at Blackpool is anyones guess. I think he will. He gets in the right places and has an eye for goal. That level may suit him more.

It's crazy how players that sign for us are instantly confined to the poor player category, where their bad attributes are highlighted, and suddenly when a player goes he becomes the best player we've seen in that position and sorely let down by the club.

There isn't one. One bit of positive feedback Mowbray used to get on here is that he looks like he has the squad playing for him, which they are, and that the dressing room atmosphere has taken a massive up turn since he came. It has. There's not been a hint of bad management on behalf of Mowbray, it's just that on here some wild assumption like that has legs all in the name of "opinion", whether or not it is fact-based is irrelevant. 

There's no doubting the atmosphere/attitude around the squad is miles ahead of anything for the last 8-9 years.   Younger squad is also a massive tick.  I would say his transfer record is around 50/50.. which isn't bad really.    Mowbray has to be given great credit for all of that.  

What is up for debate IMO is team selection, tactics and the lack of specific players in  specific roles.  

If he can't get us challenging top ten at least after this window, where he's had funding again, then he should rightly be on borrowed time. 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, J*B said:

Ok folks - if you're going to discuss moderators or moderation do it in the correct section, not here. I've hidden plenty of posts, anything past here will be deemed taking the thread off topic. 

Now I'm off to convince K-Hod to come back!

Well, there will be a lot of people, myself included, who would applaud if you were successful in that.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

All I ever hear associated with Brereton is "potential." And time may prove he has it. But, based on actual performances, and particularly in front of goal. Nuttall has been the better player, despite any limitations he has.

For a start, he can head it and he puts himself about. Defenders know they are in for a battle against him. He competes.

Brereton would do well to build up the aggressive part of his game. Its not tippy-toe in the Championship.

Nuttall's gone and good luck to him, Brereton needs to step up.

Well yeah at 19/20 potential tends to be a word associated with players of that age. If Brereton gets minutes under his belt, as a striker, he will be a big player for this club I'm 100% certain.

I didn't dislike Nuttall but it wouldn't do him any good in his career to play a season of u23 football.

It's hard for strikers these days because of the formations teams are playing. So many play 1 up front, so just that 1 starting spot to battle for amongst 2, 3 or 4 strikers. Back when most teams played 442 it was a little easier.

• Like 2

Just now, m1st said:

I'm the total opposite of an ITK; I'm just a dyed in the wool Rovers' fan who gets his season ticket, 'invests' [?] in Rovers Readies, regularly chants "Rovers till I die" on certain Saturday afternoons throughout the year and generally just wants This Great Club Of Ours to succeed at the highest level possible level.

What this dialogue has got me wondering, though, is if the foundations aren't being laid for Mowbray to become the club's General Manager with Damian Johnson succeeding him as Team Manager.

Many pages ago, I'm sure I read a suggestion of Matt Jansen being encouraged to apply to succeed Johnson as Under-23s/Academy Manager which if I didn't  ❤️, I should have.

It brought back memories from the 1960s to the '80s of the Liverpool 'boot room' when, after Bill Shankly retired, he was succeeded by a dynasty of internal appointments and former players - Steve Highway as something like Academy Manager springs to mind - working inside the club. We had the germ of this idea in the late 1960s when Johnny Carey came back as General Manager with Eddie Quigley as Team Boss. Ajax and, I think, Bayern Munich work on similar lines; and I'd like to think we could establish a similar system.

Having read the Times article about Mowbray on the train up to Newcastle in January and having read similar comments about him recently in this thread, I'm one who thinks that he's a decent human being,  who's been a positive influence even if his team selections are sometimes somewhat, erm, bewildering to us.

For me, he would have a fitting legacy if the club could be seen in years to come to have set up something similar to the Ajax set-up on the football management side of Ewood.

100% agree with this. Mowbray has been overseeing quite a change in the way we operate, and there are signs we are actually becoming a properly run club once more. A genuine criticism of him is that he gets his tactics wrong quite a bit - it's a fact based criticism based on the last two seasons (PNE and Wigan games spring to mind). It's just disheartening to see so much unfair criticism levelled at the man, from his apparent poor man management to the downright insulting "he doesn't know shit".

I can't say I have been happier as a Rovers fan in near enough 9 years. I hold my hands up and say during our year in League one I wanted the man sacked, felt like he wasn't the one to take us up. I was wrong and one thing I wasn't taking into account is the task he's had in turning this club around to a functioning club as opposed to ticking over and doing the bare minimum to get us through anothr season. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Apparently not! 

Anyway, I’m off for an extended break.

This causes me much more stress than my 9-5 and I don’t get paid for it.

Thanks for the last 9 years everyone.

Hope your break provides both time for contemplation and relaxation.

I do hope you feel able to come back at some time in the future.

Nil carborundum illegitimi ! 

• Like 1

From Tosin:

“I’ve not come here to play right back, I’m not a right back. I want to play centre half," he saiid.

“It was my first season out on loan getting senior games, so I enjoyed it, but I see myself as a centre half."

So we still need to sign a right back if Mowbray doesn't rate Nyambe.

• Backroom
Just now, OJRovers said:

From Tosin:

“I’ve not come here to play right back, I’m not a right back. I want to play centre half," he saiid.

“It was my first season out on loan getting senior games, so I enjoyed it, but I see myself as a centre half."

So we still need to sign a right back if Mowbray doesn't rate Nyambe.

I think Mowbray will see Bennett as a decent enough first choice right back (unfortunately) with Nyambe and Travis available as backup. Am I right in thinking JRC has been played on that side during pre-season as well?

• Like 1

TM is a good guy. I genuinely think he has the clubs interests at heart. I think when he inevitably gets the chop at some point he is remembered fondly. People really have forgotten how much of a basket case our great club had become before he walked through the door and in reality the guy plaited piss getting us promoted at the first time of asking from League 1.

He clearly isn't perfect and he gets some things wrong but overall he gets more right than wrong IMHO.

In Tony I trust 

• Like 5

Why were my posts deleted? A number of posters had liked the comments. I didn't insult anyone. Just gave my opinion. 

This is nonsense. It took me time to write them and now they are just removed without explanation? Could they please be put back up or an explanation given as to why they were removed. Thanks. 

• Like 5

Just now, DE. said:

I think Mowbray will see Bennett as a decent enough first choice right back (unfortunately) with Nyambe and Travis available as backup. Am I right in thinking JRC has been played on that side during pre-season as well?

Yeah...kid can play anywhere by all accounts but has largely played RB in pre season. I'd take him over Bennett and I've not even seen him play there!