BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

27 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

If he can't drop him after that, that was Elliott Ward Doncaster level bad.

That has to be one of the most damning comparisons any fan of any team has ever uttered.

The sad thing is it's right; about a minute before we equalised - we'd been pressing for a while and the ball was passed to our right full-back.

He was in Charlton's half of the pitch; so what did he do with no real pressure on him? He kinda aimlessly passed back and our momentum was lost.

Mowbray has it too cushy at Rovers.They won't sack him (and he knows it) and he'll keep spinning the owners yarns about building for the future while in reality he is happy to keep us poddling along in mid-table while he boosts his pension fund for season after season. He's having the fans for fools. 

• Like 4

I went on Facebook 3 hours ago and there was a bit of a Rovers post on how the game had gone today. There was 60 posts on the game so i decided  to add my little bit i asked out right why Tony had gone from these defenders are not good enough too the same lads starting today.  I asked out right had the rug been pulled from under his feet with transfer moneys . And was that the reason the young lad from City had been signed on loan.  I also asked if he had regretted saying in May that the lads at the back weren't up too it.  And said a simple Yes or No would do, and if it was No why the hell had he not got the defenders  in and after five minutes  the post had been taken down did i hit on to something

Martin Olsson, Magloire, Adarabioyo, Nyambe... 

Would probably be a more effective defence.

Williams or Bell should have been sold this summer, it was clear all last year we had two poor left backs, two poor centre backs and one average right back.

Maybe harsh on Lenihan but the jury is still out.

Just now, savage90 said:

Martin Olsson, Magloire, Adarabioyo, Nyambe... 

Would probably be a more effective defence.

Williams or Bell should have been sold this summer, it was clear all last year we had two poor left backs, two poor centre backs and one average right back.

Maybe harsh on Lenihan but the jury is still out.

I agree, lenihan seems to get an easy ride compaired to the others but I see 2/3 poor performances to every good one. Really think he needs an experienced good level defender in there to see him through at times. Mulgrew has been done for seasons now. Would honestly love to see a complete new back four next game. 

And mowbray canned for Johnson. Be a breath of fresh air to have a young innovative manager instead of old steady negative Tony 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RoverAbroad said:

Tony says, "It’s a bit simplistic to say ‘same back four, same results."

Why complicate matters, Tony? Simple is as simple does. Today -

Same back four = same result! 

Two goals conceded per game as usual.

If you asked him the answer for 2 + 2 he wouldn't give you 4. 

The fella has lost it. 

Lenihan gets away with it because he’s the best of a bad bunch.

He’s always looked like a converted midfielder to me. Often out of position, dives into tackles- that would be great in the Travis position, breaks up play, but can be fatal at centre half. Terrible distribution, not particularly dominant in the air.

Obviously he stays in the side, he’s the least of our worries back there, but a symbol of how bad we are defensively if he’s the lynchpin.

• Like 7

Based on the post match interview, I'd say we are gonna be stuck with the same defenders until January at the earliest. Would not be at all surprised if the only signing we make is an ageing GK on a free. Can't see us suddenly picking up the pace to sort some deals out to address the defensive issues.

I always appreciate the effort of Benno, and during the league one season he was probably my favourite player for sheer work rate....but he's now well on his way to being the new Jason Lowe because the manager values versatility over quality.

• Like 1

The only time I’ve been impressed with Bennett was when he went in the middle with Smallwood in League 1. He didn’t particularly stand out wide at that level.

In this league, he won’t get in the side in the middle as we have better players, he’s anonymous wide and appalling at right back. 

Should be a squad player at the very best. ‘Top pro’, ‘manages the dressing room’, ‘part of a close knit group’, all well and good, but it’s a ruthless business, all about improving and evolving the team constantly, if you can’t cut it, you can’t cut it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, philipl said:

This is the shopping list

One of not two hard tackling full backs

One beast central defender

A commanding goal keeper

Go fetch.

How did he not realise this before yesterday though? That’s why I think it’s unforgivable even if, God forbid, he went and brought in 2-3 new defenders and another goalkeeper this week.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

My concern is that he identified the issue last season and did nothing to rectify it over the summer. We’ve wasted preseason by playing weak opposition (apart from Rangers) and playing the players who he already said weren’t good enough. We needed to be giving a new back 4 a good run of games. We can’t afford to throw away points with a tough few games coming up. We really had to hit the ground running. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Mowbray has it too cushy at Rovers.They won't sack him (and he knows it) and he'll keep spinning the owners yarns about building for the future while in reality he is happy to keep us poddling along in mid-table while he boosts his pension fund for season after season. He's having the fans for fools. 

Thing is if he doesn't get a little bit of pressure and expectation from above then it's natural he's happy to plod.  To me it's up to the owners and CEO to lay out reasonable expectations. Not unrealistic ones but reasonable given they've allowed millions to be spent over the last two windows and not actually forced a sale or 5, yet.

If we have a rotten season this season then the temptation will be there again to cash in the chips to pay the bills and go on another downgrade and part of that will be at the gaffers door.  Although he'd probably be sailing off into the sunset with another handsome pay off which is why i don't toe the sympathy line no matter how nice a guy he may be, there are more and more signs of self preservation kicking in.

• Like 1

Just now, OJRovers said:

I think Mowbray will want to put Tosin at right back, dilemma is that he came out straight away and said he doesn't want to play there...

If that happens I might have to see what the Mowbray Out thread is all about.