BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 minute ago, Tormund said:

Any danger?

0EADB44A-20BC-449C-B8CC-725C22045325.jpeg

We should be all over this deal and I would be very disappointed if we didnt make this deal happen

29 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I feel for Smallwood in that he is subject to such ridicule but did a cracking job for us in the promotion campaign. Don't get me wrong, we need to upgrade him but he is a sturdy squad man to be honest, certainly nothing daring or spectacular but a pretty reliable 6/10 man. I feel that it is becoming OTT regarding people judging his character (as though he is simply someone stealing a paycheck). That's all in their angry imaginations.  If we gave him a contract, pay the man I say. All he can do is what he is doing, head down, train hard and wait for his chance. He is proud to wear our shirt, that should be respected.

I like Smallwood alot and he played with his heart on his sleeve and I have huge respect for him. I'm surprise a league 1 club hasn't come in for him like Ipswich, Doncaster or Shrewsbury. Just the sort of player they need

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I like Smallwood alot and he p;layed with his heart on his sleeve and I have huge respect for him. I'm surprise a league 1 club hasn't come in for him like Ipswich, Doncaster or Shrewsbury. Just the sort of player they need

It's possible Smallwood simply doesn't want to drop down divisions at this point, particularly if it would lead to a pay cut. If he believes he can win his place back here then he's within his rights to say he's going nowhere, and I get the feeling that's pretty much the case. Otherwise surely one of the clubs pushing for promotion in L1 would have signed him, as he's a proven commodity at that level. 

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Rovers have made reference to FFP rules on a consistent basis over the last 2-3 years, eager to point out to fans that they are restricted as to what they can do under FFP constraints and suggesting that they'd like to do more but can't.

I've just pointed out that Derby have found more than one way around the rules to enable them to continue to recruit well, invest heavily and compete for promotion without any suggestion of a punishment.

It all boils down to how much you want something. Derby really want promotion and have kept going and investing to get there, riding roughshod over the FFP rules and treating them as something to be overcome in their pursuit of promotion. Wolves, Leicester, Bournemouth, Brighton and Villa all did the same. 

As I've pointed out, we could spend more if we were determined to do it, but it appears to me to be a convenient excuse with little to no effort made to get around it.

We fell foul of the previous incarnation of the rules, when restrictions were tighter and we were still carrying an obscene wage bill following the Shebby SIngh madness. We are led to believe that the club has sorted that out now so we should be comfortably inside it otherwise the planning has gone wrong somewhere. 

You seem to consider Venkys to be some sort of uniquely benevolent people doing it out of the goodness of their hearts and there's nothing similar elsewhere in this league. Without Morris Derby would be bust, same goes for Forest, Wednesday, Hull, Middlesbrough, Bristol City, Preston, Wigan, QPR, Fulham - all heavily dependent on external owners who 'could' pull the plug any day and they'd be knackered. We aren't any different. Like it or not that's the nature of the Championship these days. Any one of those clubs 'could' go the way of Bolton on the whim of their owners, we're at no particular greater risk just because Bolton is nearer to us geographically or we know Bolton fans. A benefactor model of ownership dominates the Championship and that comes with its risks. I'd actually suspect the risk to be lower here with Venkys and their 4-way agreement only system where if any 1 of them doesn't agree then it doesn't happen - rather than entirely in the hands of one person

We could just as easily thrive after Venkys. It's impossible to know the answer at this stage. In the end whether they're pumping in £1 million a year or £10 million a year if they aren't running the club properly and aren't doing their best by it then I want them gone and replaced by someone who will. They've had ample time to sort it out and despite flushing £170 million away we're still making up the numbers in the 2nd division precisely because they won't take it seriously enough.

I'd also point out that floating around the bottom half of this league or League One for the next 5-10 years is going to see another £100 million of debt appear. We don't have time on our side if Venkys have notions of stopping funding. There seems to be an attitude that what we've been doing the last 2 years is sustainable or sensible. We've still lost bucket loads of money and there's an argument that spending a bit more is a risk worth taking if it gets us up.

You want them gone, any names have you? That’s the problem,we know what we would like, but how many names were in the frame last time we were up for sale, you seem to dismiss Bolton/ Bury ( nothing to do do with geographical location) as they are different to us, but Bolton situation could be us, and I personally don’t want to end up like them. 

I don’t feel that Venkys are uniquely benevolent people, just thankful they keep coming up with the dosh to keep us going, we’ve floated around this division for many seasons, well before they came on the scene, there’s nothing more than I would like than getting back to the Premier, but think it might be more on the Sheffield United model than Boro, Derby etc way.

Looks like a nervy few days for Charlton with Boro and Bees battling it out for Lyle Taylor, they'd surely go down without him despite beating us! As frustrating as the transfer scenario is at least our best players aren't being linked anywhere, never known a quieter window on that front. Leeds don't seem best pleased about selling Roofe either if he's just replaced by a loanee (sound familiar?).

Meanwhile, the square root of fuck all appears to be happening in relation to incoming transfers at Ewood ?‍♂️?

16 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

He didn't track back when losing the ball. Midfield constantly got overran whenever he played. Made us constantly vulnerable

Yet we happily overlook this when it's Travis ?

• Like 1

Cunningham at LB would be a start but its yet another loan. Get him on loan to buy so that we can get something solid at the back for the next few seasons. Going to be a patched up defense at this rate for just a single season.

• Like 4

Just now, Ossydave said:

Looks like a nervy few days for Charlton with Boro and Bees battling it out for Lyle Taylor, they'd surely go down without him despite beating us! As frustrating as the transfer scenario is at least our best players aren't being linked anywhere, never known a quieter window on that front. Leeds don't seem best pleased about selling Roofe either if he's just replaced by a loanee (sound familiar?).

Meanwhile, the square root of fuck all appears to be happening in relation to incoming transfers at Ewood ?‍♂️?

offer Samuel to Charlton on a free or a loan. 

Leeds fans are annoyed with them selling their best players yet again and loaning players in to replace them

20 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

He didn't track back when losing the ball. Midfield constantly got overran whenever he played. Made us constantly vulnerable

Of course he tracked back. Thats nonsense. Hes just limited as a footballer and is too slow in both pace and decision making at this level. 

His plus point always was he did what J-Lowe did but better, which in league one was fine. However you need midfielders to do more at this level. 

Just now, Hasta said:

Of course he tracked back. Thats nonsense. Hes just limited as a footballer and is too slow in both pace and decision making at this level. 

His plus point always was he did what J-Lowe did but better, which in league one was fine. However you need midfielders to do more at this level. 

?

• Like 1

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Don't follow footy (Rovers apart) as closely as I used to but never heard of him. 

28 year old left back. Would be a major upgrade on Bell. Cardiff bought last season for 4 million pounds from Preston:

"Cunningham really became a star at North End, impressing in three seasons with the club. A bargain signing from Bristol City in 2015, Cunningham became Mr Consistency at Deepdale, and deserved his Premier League move last summer."

• Like 1

Don't follow footy (Rovers apart) as closely as I used to but never heard of him. 

Much better than what we have at LB. That's not saying much though.

he can play CB too - so right up TMs street ?

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

I'm convinced that Mowbray sees our CB options as being Mulgrew, Lenihan, Williams, Nyambe and this City lad and thinks he has enough there. Ignoring of course that three of them aren't really CBs and three are injury prone.

Just now, Tormund said:

He’s a quality player Cunningham at this level. Need to somehow get this guy in.

Move quickly and get the deal done? Not likely here. 

Why would Cardiff do us or anyone else a favour by loaning him out on the cheap?

A wiki check tells me he is an Irish-capped LB/CB who used to play in the same Bristol City side as our Irish-capped LB/CB.

But seems to be better, despite making less appearances there in the season before his move than Williams, who is 2 years younger, did that season. Funny how football works out sometimes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I feel for Smallwood in that he is subject to such ridicule but did a cracking job for us in the promotion campaign. Don't get me wrong, we need to upgrade him but he is a sturdy squad man to be honest, certainly nothing daring or spectacular but a pretty reliable 6/10 man. I feel that it is becoming OTT regarding people judging his character (as though he is simply someone stealing a paycheck). That's all in their angry imaginations.  If we gave him a contract, pay the man I say. All he can do is what he is doing, head down, train hard and wait for his chance. He is proud to wear our shirt, that should be respected.

I feel similar and can't stand the fickle nature of some fans who hero worship one min then slag off the next although the majority on here just want him replaced properly as with some others or relegated to 4th choice in the pecking order permanently.

Handy squad man yes but the main issue is again the manager who likes him and we know what'll keep happening.  However if he gets in the team and we are winning a few regularly then iv'e no issue with him staying in.  What it is with managers of TMs ilk is you've got to remove the temptation otherwise being the players man he is he'll keep giving in to it.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Move quickly and get the deal done? Not likely here. 

Why would Cardiff do us or anyone else a favour by loaning him out on the cheap?

Being allowed to leave apparently. Of course, former club Preston are all over it.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/greg-cunningham-ready-quit-cardiff-16668539

Really like the look of johann larsson on a free, fairly quick, can deliver crosses and hits the net, everything our rbs haven’t been since ohhhh .... Lucas Neil maybe. That gets Bennett out the team and nyambe as a plausible option centre defence- which he did look decent at African cup

Just now, bluebruce said:

A wiki check tells me he is an Irish-capped LB/CB who used to play in the same Bristol City side as our Irish-capped LB/CB.

But seems to be better, despite making less appearances there in the season before his move than Williams, who is 2 years younger, did that season. Funny how football works out sometimes.

Yup but nobody bought our one for 4 million lol