BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, JacknOry said:

No way was Walton first choice. Id love to know what happened there as I simply cannot believe we would sell our keeper unless we were at least we're 90 percent certain we had a replacement lined up. Who was it? Why didnt he sign? We then tried for about a week hearing tons of other names and in the end had to loan another kid the same age as Raya anyway. Not a dig at Walton btw, might turn out to be good but he is not the experienced keeper we were told was coming.

You'd have to think so. 

In a loan deal the player has to be substantially better otherwise you get no benefit. You take the pain and risk of developing them but don't see the reward. Clearly he isn't vastly better than Raya in first watch so it makes no sense. Esoecially when Raya arguably has as much experience and so much potential (admittedly unfilled as yet.) 

If it was necessary to fund other positions again it's be a mistake but you'd see their thinking - but there's not a permanent deal in sight. 

Mind you TM is poor at developing young players - Nayambe, Rothwell, Raya and Nuttall (over Samuel);for starters all have the potential to be impacting our squad but haven't really done so. 

• Like 1

Just now, ben_the_beast said:

Out: Dack

In: Hanley, Cunningham, Murphy 

Would you? 

Even if a possibility, very much doubt Rovers could handle that in 9 hours.  Even medicals seem to take 2 or 3 days!

• Like 1

Just now, Glosrover said:

No

Hanley very limited, has a mistake in him, and IMO very much in the envelope of players whose ability seems to be enhanced the more they don’t play.

had you even heard of Cunningham last week? And Danny was well past it when we signed him last time........leave him festering in punditry ( although purgatory would be preferable)

Doesn't matter if I'd heard of Cunningham last week. Which I had. Just making a hypothetical question based on the incredibly grainy links we have. Jacob Murphy by the way

8 minutes ago, alex l said:

By that arguement we could also have spent net £5m+ if we've yet to receive anything from sales. Regardless, it doesn't seem accurate to claim no net spend. 

The point is even clubs in the best position, for whatever reason, sometimes wait til deadline day. We're clearly not in that situation and to boot don't have loads of cash, so how was it realistic to expect all business to be done early? Yet the club management get lambasted for it. 

Most of the 'lambasting' has centred around the lack of much needed sensible and hopefully proven defensive recruitments, yes we may well get one through the door but the point is this has been needed clearly for the past two windows before this.  In fact it was a major contributor to the window in Jan when we went down so it was clear the min TM & co set foot in the gaff.

Do they deserve lambasting for this window in isolation ?  No not from my view but do they deserve it for the repeated theme of not spending in defence despite having at least some money over the past 12-18 months ?   Of course they bloody well do it's ludicrous and nearly cost us big time last season.

As for early business we managed to get some done early in less pressing areas so this has clearly been left to chance yet again.

10 hours ago, Madon said:

The only thing RE Hanley which makes me doubt he would come back is the fact that Mowbray openly admitted he was on a list but not his 'A' list and therefore he may feel unwanted. 

Maybe not on his A list for reasons other than his footballing ability.

TM's crafted this squad carefully in his own image in terms of players' attitude as much as anything.

Hence the apparent dithering imo.

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Mate, you’re preaching to the converted here. But on the final day, with nowhere near the amount of defensive reinforcements through the door and the local newspaper, club CEO and manager desperately trying to dampen down expectations, you have to begin to worry.

I am the eternal optimist but in reality Mulgrew is DONE. Proven at the end of last season and evidenced on Saturday. Whilst Bennett is never a RB and his performance on Saturday was one of the worst I’ve ever seen from a professional footballer. If those two aren’t replaced then we will do well to achieve 15th position this season.

The manager knows it too. In unfathomable why it hasn’t been addressed. Hope they do something today..

Agreed , thought he could get through but Williams got hurt and the City kids arrival was delayed...

Also , if he could shift  Raya out , who was a contributory factor too ... But for some reason didn't get the keeper we needed..

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I am the eternal optimist but in reality Mulgrew is DONE. Proven at the end of last season and evidenced on Saturday. Whilst Bennett is never a RB and his performance on Saturday was one of the worst I’ve ever seen from a professional footballer. If those two aren’t replaced then we will do well to achieve 15th position this season.

Welcome to your opinion but I’m not sure how you get to this personally.

Firstly, I don’t think it’s difficult to argue Bell, Mulgrew and then the substitutions did badly. I wouldn’t blame any individual in that scenario personally but all played worse individually than Bennett.

Im not convinced you could call RB a priority when Williams is our only other LB option (besides Hart) in that role. 

If we could only get one through the door today, for me it would be a left back. Also to add to what I alex said, the fact probably most of the 92 clubs are still looking for additions says a lot about the competition and difficulty in market.

Edited by Harry The Bass

I've got to admit, I can't remember a time when opinions were so united about what the failings of the squad are and what we desperately need.

Who is going to be brave enough (or the resident knobhead) post deadline to suggest there is hope with Bennett at RB and Charlie in the middle?

Massive day for the team, season and the future of Tony Mowbray  today. We need proper defenders that much and it is going to be costly if it isn't plugged with a bit of quality and experience.

Edited by Pedro

Just now, Pedro said:

I've got to admit, I can't remember a time when opinions were so united about what the failings of the squad and What we desperately need.

Who is going to be brave enough (or the resident knobhead) post deadline to suggest there is hope with Bennett at RB and Charlie in the middle?

Massive day for the team, season and the future of Tony Mowbray  today. We need proper defenders that much and it is going to be costly if it isn't plugged with a bit of quality and experience.

I've never seen @Bigdoggsteel so negative about Mowbray before! This window has changed him into a proper BRFCs poster now! Lol

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Tbf both retirement pays on the bench , whereas we would be a starter. Depends on ambition 

Agreed but like the party crasher Rob Green at Chelsea they are just back ups for back ups. If the top 6 clubs were to use their riches to take three experienced goalkeepers then that’s everyone else unable to sign them. Scandalous that they are allowed to do this by the football authorities.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

I don’t think EB at RB is a massive issue, and I’m sure Mulgrew is behind Tosin, Lenihan, Williams for 4th CB.

Hence why he started with Del and Tosin not ready yet. 

My priority is a new left sided FB but I’m not convinced hell will swallow us whole, as predicted if we get nobody.

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

I don’t think EB at RB is a massive issue, and I’m sure Mulgrew is behind Tosin, Lenihan, Williams for 4th CB.

My priority is a new left sided FB but I’m not convinced hell will swallow us whole, as predicted if we get nobody.

Are you on the windup? Elliott Bennett at RB not a massive issue? 

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

By God the LT comments section is scary.  

The latest article by Simon Smith is relatively scathing but ends up advocating we missed Smallwood's passion on Saturday.  You couldn't make it up. 

If places got picked on passion then we would all be in contention for a starting spot!

Smallwood has 4/5 players ahead of him now, him going this morning would be a good start.

• Like 3

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

How is EB not an issue. He lost his man on numerous occasions and looked ropey the entire match. In fact more often than not when he plays there he is the weak link. Genuinely what does he offer at RB? He's a defensive liability. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Glosrover said:

No

Hanley very limited, has a mistake in him, and IMO very much in the envelope of players whose ability seems to be enhanced the more they don’t play.

had you even heard of Cunningham last week? And Danny was well past it when we signed him last time........leave him festering in punditry ( although purgatory would be preferable)

Yes I knew Cunningham years ago. Was Preston left back

Just now, OJRovers said:

The new scouting team aren’t exactly covering themselves in glory if we end up with Hanley.

I’d be pretty pleased with that though given where we are with hours left this window.

We dont know what the scouting are present in terms of signings this summer. 

Just now, Blue blood said:

How is EB not an issue. He lost his man on numerous occasions and looked ropey the entire match. In fact more often than not when he plays there he is the weak link. Genuinely what does he offer at RB? He's a defensive liability. 

How do I put the initial comment on ignore? Lol

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I knew Cunningham years ago. Was Preston left back

We dont know what the scouting are present in terms of signings this summer. 

I dont think the club knows either.

• Like 3