BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

36 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

This entire window and arguably our season is dependant on the ability of Tosin at CB. If he is a success then so is the window. If he isnt, then the window and our season probably isnt.

A lot to stake on a young lad, no matter how highly rated

Agreed him and Walton ability are key. 

Yea the johnsons and Gallagher were nice to have but these 2 positions were key and major weaknesses last year. 

Same with lb but think Cunningham will be the answer there. 

My gut feeling is tosin will be good enough but Walton isn't 

Edited by bboy

Just now, bluebruce said:

Not sure if this has been posted.

Mulgrew on Wigan move

Looks like the usual empty flattery when players move clubs (fairly sure neither Wigan's facilities nor stadium are on par with ours so why be impressed?). No insight into the reason for the move, unsurprisingly.

The poor guy appears a bit shell-shocked from the video clip they posted on Twitter

12 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

Could Richie Smallwood do a job at CB? He lacks any quality to play cm at this level, but he doesn't mid doing the dirty work, and CB isn't the toughest position to play as long as you can - tackle, head, hoof. Lenihan as a partner to try and talk him through a game?

Maybe I'm thinking too much like Mowbary... players out of position...

Please don't

Just now, OJRovers said:

It is a shame that Hart didn't get the chance to go out on loan again and get first team experience. It sounded like he really developed doing that last season.

He's going to go backwards again this season stuck in the U23s.

I don't think so. I'd say Bell will go out on loan and Hart be our number 2 fullback.

• Like 1

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Your point being he may not be as comfortable in a CB pairing? As you said yourself, he did look good in that role last season. Certainly more comfortable than he looked at LB anyway.

Yes in a way. I am still not entirely convinced as part of a two but he did do OK there despite many of those games being dead rubbers at the end of the season. Deserves a shot as a backup CB for the season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Bloody hell you really dislike Reed don't you.

So far Johnson, Travis, Buckley and now Evans are better than Reed apparently. 

Johnson is the only one that you could consider on a similar level right now - Travis and Buckley have the potential to be as good or better.

In the final analysis our ins and outs have cost just over one million. Once again I'm scratching my head by the 'similar budget to last year' interview from the Ewood hierarchy. I think the wage bill will have increased mainly due to not being able to shift players out but that again is down to bad management in putting average Joe's on very good wages. It was also Mowbray's fifth transfer window.

I feel a little short changed by the overall dealings and hopefully there will be some searching questions asked over the next few weeks. I am certainly worried about our prospects of staying up this season as we are only an injury or two away from disaster.

• Like 4

Just now, JacknOry said:

Yes in a way. I am still not entirely convinced as part of a two but he did do OK there despite many of those games being dead rubbers at the end of the season. Deserves a shot as a backup CB for the season.

I think that's the key thing here. He's only going to be a back up CB. He's obviously going to end up playing quite a few games as Lenihan tends to have the odd short term injury every so often, but he should be good enough as cover. I actually quite like Williams (think I'm in the small minority on here) to be honest. It was his positional sense at LB which often left him exposed and look a lot worse than he is. Hopefully moving him inside helps him a little. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

Could Richie Smallwood do a job at CB? He lacks any quality to play cm at this level, but he doesn't mid doing the dirty work, and CB isn't the toughest position to play as long as you can - tackle, head, hoof. Lenihan as a partner to try and talk him through a game?

Maybe I'm thinking too much like Mowbary... players out of position...

Get in the sea. 

• Like 3

Just now, Vilesinner said:

The pecking order appears to be Lenihan, Tosin, Williams, Nyambe, Grayson. Hopefully it's Lenihan or Johnson as Captain.

Williams had an excellent game against Norwich, and some other solid performances that gives hope he may be a decent backup.

Could be ,but I would say first choice right now is Lenihan and Williams. 

I don't even mind Nyambe as back up there, as long as Rankin-Costello is right back. 

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

So far Johnson, Travis, Buckley and now Evans are better than Reed apparently. 

Johnson is the only one that you could consider on a similar level right now - Travis and Buckley have the potential to be as good or better.

No, imo Travis is a also a better player, and Buckley and JRC will be, I'm certain.

But the point is we needed defenders not an improved version of Elliott Bennett.

I'd still like us to sign Bunn and Skyrtl (haven't a clue how to spell his name)

Just now, RoverKyle said:

I think that's the key thing here. He's only going to be a back up CB. He's obviously going to end up playing quite a few games as Lenihan tends to have the odd short term injury every so often, but he should be good enough as cover. I actually quite like Williams (think I'm in the small minority on here) to be honest. It was his positional sense at LB which often left him exposed and look a lot worse than he is. Hopefully moving him inside helps him a little. 

I think most feel Williams is decent at CB. Lets see how that goes over a run of games though. I am not 100% convinced myself yet. 

2 hours ago, Glosrover said:

just how it should be ....

a friend {Glos based PNE fan} pointed me to this post on the PNE forum, interesting perspective on Rover's business in the window 

quite why they consider Rovers as 'Plastics' is beyond me, but presumably some obscure reference to us competing at the very top of the top level through the 1990's along-with the so-called big boys, [it's also quite ironic as PNE were last in the first division in 1961 when plastic probably hadn't even been invented].

Maybe Rover's transfer business looks better from the outside than from our own perspective?

Preston were one of the first teams to play on a plastic pitch at Deepdale; a bit ironic calling us “plastics!”

• Like 3

You dont want to be starting williams at CB for a whole season, but he is good enough at this level to play pockets of games when injuries and suspensions dictate it. I always think defending is more a mindset than ability at times and he seems to have that defenders mindset. Whereas you look at bell and nyambe who are absolute athletes with a ton of abilty, but completley lack the mindset of a defender for me

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

If we had won on Saturday against Charlton , would the events of yesterday have taken place ???

I have no problem with Mulgrew going to Wigan except a replacement was not sourced ..Charlies best days are long gone ..!!

Cunningham , I know little about but hopefully he is an upgrade on Bell , who isn't really up to championship standard.

I think Mowbray was in panic mode after Saturday , why ?? He know the defence was poor said so himself in February ...

I think Mowbray is now , walking on very thin ice ...

Well, if those events hadn't taken place yesterday, they should have, Waggy.

Only sooner. Rangers' goal against us - surely particularly poignant for a Bhoy like Charlie to have his frailty exposed at Ibrox of all places - was enough evidence that the centre of defence was/is our achilles' heel. The recruitment team should have been prioritizing another centre half from first thing the next morning.

Accepting that we all know about his contribution especially in the season we returned to the Championship - and for those of us who aren't ITK - apparently to the camaraderie of the dressing room, it was surely and sadly obvious that his time at the heart of a Championship defence was then over.

If someone like me, who's happy - still; just about - to pay good money to follow the club I've been watching for 65 years, could see that, then why on earth couldn't the club management?

And if they could, why on earth haven't they replaced him adequately? Surely there must be enough out-of-contract, experienced and ideally plug-ugly, centre-halves, preferably big and, certainly erm, 'uncompromising' ? whose wage-demands would have been within our reach to have done so?

• Like 2

I don't think so. I'd say Bell will go out on loan and Hart be our number 2 fullback.

Can players still go out on loan? I thought it had shut?

No way that Mowbray will let Bell go out on loan now we're so short in defence as it is.

Just now, FGS5635 said:

You dont want to be starting williams at CB for a whole season, but he is good enough at this level to play pockets of games when injuries and suspensions dictate it. I always think defending is more a mindset than ability at times and he seems to have that defenders mindset. Whereas you look at bell and nyambe who are absolute athletes with a ton of abilty, but completley lack the mindset of a defender for me

It is a big season for Williams. He will be trying to stake his claim to be a first choice center half here. It's best bet for his international career also. He's not a super left back, but hopefully the experience of playing there will stand to him. Big, big season for him. 

• Like 1

I'd still like us to sign Bunn and Skyrtl (haven't a clue how to spell his name)

Seen Skrtel mentioned a few times now but he's having a medical at Atalanta (who are in the Champions League rather than bottom half of the Championship...!).

• Like 2

Wigan appear well equipped at CB, certainly more than we are, so it seems odd that they came in for Mulgrew and we let him go given the numbers. 

What happens if Mulgrew goes and sits on Wigan's bench whilst we have injuries and no fit CBs? 

To be honest I loathe Paul Cook but would trust him to sort a defence out before Mowbray. 

• Like 3

Just now, frosty said:

Seen Skrtel mentioned a few times now but he's having a medical at Atalanta (who are in the Champions League rather than bottom half of the Championship...!).

I mentioned him a couple of times more in dreaming to be honest - never thought we'd get him in as much as he would be a fantastic freebie. Still numerous others out there that could do a job and give us a bit of depth at the back. Just hope we already had some in mind and are moving on them because the freebie market will now be the big focus for clubs. 

That ex-QPR lad apparently came in for talks so perhaps he is one we are mulling over.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, DE. said:

Pretty brief and blasé statement considering it's our club captain, who was also in the first team on Saturday. 

They’ll probably have been hungover from transfer deadline day....

Alan Hutton, get him signed up. Fucking brilliant at Villa last year and would get Bennett out of the starting eleven. A back four of Hutton, Lenihan, Adarabioyo and Cunningham could succeed.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It is a big season for Williams. He will be trying to stake his claim to be a first choice center half here. It's best bet for his international career also. He's not a super left back, but hopefully the experience of playing there will stand to him. Big, big season for him. 

Agreed. But you could say that for the majority of the starting 11. A lot of young, hungry players with a chance to shine.

Walton - After this year he will have 1 year left at Brighton. If he has any aspirations of Premier league football, then he needs to shine

Tosin - Huge chance for him at CB to shine to pep and put himself in the frame for the next step

Cunnigham - a season in the wilderness. He will be chomping at the bit you'd think to play every week and get back in the intenational mix and rebuild his reputation

Travis - huge season to kick on a prove he is the player we all hope he can be

Rothwell - needs to stop snapchatting Tony daughters then he can get in the team and show us all what we know he has

Dack - For all his success, nobody is banging down the door to take him to the next level. Lets hope he has the fire to kick on

Gallagher - After being loaned about everywhere, he now has a permanent home and has to now show everyone what he is all about

Brereton - After a good pre season, he needs to wait for his chance and prove everyone wrong and show the class that has led to him respresenting eng at all youth levels

Graham - Bit different with him, but after being POY he has young lads trying to steal his place. Anything other than excellent and he is going to fizzle out

Some others to a lesser degree like chapman, JRC etc on the edges of the team will need to excel and force their way into the mix.

Despite the noise around the transfer window, there is a lot to like and look forward to with this team. Its arguably what makes to defeence situation so frustrating.

Its now over to TM to get the best out of all these guys and light a fire under them all

• Like 8