BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

52 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Nooooo....don't use logic and reason. 

Reliable sources have told me that at around 14h yesterday, Mowbray spun a wheel with every player's name on it and decided to sell/loan out whoever it landed on. 

He also made no inquiries about players until after lunch yesterday. 

All in all, it was a productive afternoon. 

You can be as facetious as you like yet no-one came into replace Mulgrew therefore that does not suggest the move was long in the planning.

Just now, DE. said:

I actually think there's a possiblity that there is a recall option for January. Mulgrew doesn't appear to be going to Wigan as a first teamer, and they probably aren't paying all of his wages, so in a lot of ways it would make sense for us to have a clause there to recall Mulgrew in January if he's needed. I suppose it also depends on whether he was bundled out of the club under a cloud or not. If he did have a falling out with TM then it's less likely the club put any recall clauses in the contract. 

I look at this as potentially nationally motivated if he knew after Charlton his position in our squad was 4th Centreback.

Id feel much better about the situation if and when we recruit another to usurp Del, who is now chief backup.

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

Yes you just don’t go to games

Waited and waited -hoping we would buy a CB-until I got my ticket. Made an emotional decision on Friday and bought one anyway.

Saturday's defensive performance followed by the (in my view) self-harming refusal to address the issue has reawoken my previous concerns about the whole purpose of transfer dealings under Venky's...Anyway, that's just me....

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Genuine question: Is it possible to cancel your season ticket after one game?

Probably not, I wouldn't do that anyway.

The option would be simply not to bother attending certain games as another poster pointed out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Whether it is wages, a fall our or a planned ruthless move by TM on one level it doesn't look good at all. 

If it's wages we're really stuffed as there's no room to bring anyone in. The budget must be appalling especially given we sold Raya (allegedly on top of the Gally budget). This suggests there's no opportunity to take advantage of the market or to get cover in any emergencies that may occur. 

Perhaps it's a falling out. In which case I wonder if there's any of the dressing room behind TM. The young players who are slated probably won't be too keen on TM and if he annoys his inner circle as well it could be awkward. 

Or it was planned. In which case that makes the Charlton game and the captaincy a very odd situation and isn't that planned. Who doesn't replace the leadership and central defender slot when they know it's going?

Any way if happened it was a mess. The positive is Mulgrew is finished at this level so it's not a loss on the playing side. Just a sad indictment of how Rovers do things these days...

Or what if Charlie, as club captain, was playing the card of the big I am in the dressing room and the new additions and younger element of the "group" witnessed that display last week and thought sod this he's past it and were chewing the managers ear off? Just a thought. None of us know yet.

• Like 1

Just now, ossyian said:

Or what if Charlie, as club captain, was playing the card of the big I am in the dressing room and the new additions and younger element of the "group" witnessed that display last week and thought sod this he's past it and were chewing the managers ear off? Just a thought. None of us know yet.

Then that would be a manager's right to manage!..Possibly after letting it go too long?

I guess this could be a glimpse of much-vaunted (on here) previous of Tony appeasing the "clique" in his team selections. Maybe, it just came to a head?

I don't know this, I hasten to add-merely hypothesising...

• Like 2

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Angry at the minute...but right now, I feel like I am funding a big lie!

You may not agree but I don't think the owners have done anything at all wrong since we were relegated last time round. In fact (tin hat on) you might say they've acted impeccably since then continuing to pump money in to cover losses and providing the manager with a generous budget.

Mowbray has just wasted it on rubbish or players he won't subsequently play.

Don't like this Mowbray/Waggott/Venus love triangle though with the former first team assistant coach apparently now handling transfer negotiations.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 7

Just now, ossyian said:

I think it’s probably more a case of he was the Big I am in the dressing room and after realisation/embarrassment of likelyhood of  not going to play regular (fan criticism) he jumped as a reaction. IMO TM probably realised his influence and that embarrassment would turn to bitterness (may well have done) and he didn’t want that influencing moral of squad so actively showed him door when realised above.  CM was a key popular figure so likely to influence team moral etc.

*No influential player or captain wants to face criticism when that happens it’s embarrassing for all concerned. CM had no where to go...

Edited by markhayhurst

Just now, ossyian said:

Either way it doesn't put the manager in a good light. In your scenario either the clique or younger players are influencing TM which isn't a good situation! 

Funny how by and large good managers are able to manage characters but weaker ones struggle. 

It's also possible and shows TM didn't manage Charlie well prior to this. However it's a bit odd if TM only decided Mulgrew was past it on Saturday. Surely the writing was on the wall and a summer is the best time to transition? Why keep him as captain if this was the case? Whatever the reasoning it looks like a mismanaged last minute panic. Thank goodness Mulgrew wasn't that good anymore or it'd be an even bigger mess. 

38 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Angry at the minute...but right now, I feel like I am funding a big lie!

To be fair, we have been for the last 9 years.

I like to think my £400 (adult & child) goes towards some of the great staff who work on the ground floor rather than in venkys pocket or to any of the millionaires on the pitch.

Only way I can justify it really.

• Like 8

Just now, 1864roverite said:

9 clean sheets for a poor wigan side is the evidence you need plus his save to shot ratio is pretty good iirc

9 clean sheets! Our horrendous defence managed 12.

‘Class’  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, Ricky said:

Hanley starts for Norwich so im presuming him coming back was never in the offing. He would have been involved in training all week ahead of starting tonight. 

He wasn't on the A list, according to Mowbray 

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Hanley starts for Norwich so im presuming him coming back was never in the offing. He would have been involved in training all week ahead of starting tonight. 

Starts and as captain 

Just now, JHRover said:

He wasn't on the A list, according to Mowbray 

He also said similar about Arma and Chapman, and both signed within 6 months.

If you declare interest in a target and make it known they're your first choice, you've two likely impacts: 1 - the player pushes for a move to you. 2 - the selling club puts the price up as you've just admitted you're desperate to land their player.

Irrespective of your opinion of him, he's been a manager for a hell of lot longer in the football league than any of us. Take his comments with a pinch of salt. You may think Im giving him too much credit, but some of his public comments are likely with the aim of achieving something - a reaction from a player, progress in a negotiation.

• Like 1