Jump to content

Ep 110 - The One Where BRFCS chats with Don Mackay


Recommended Posts

This special edition has an exclusive interview with former Rovers manager Don Mackay,  who chats with Ian Herbert about the Full Members' Cup final, Steve Archibald, Colin Hendry, play off heartbreak, beating Burnley and much, much more. Our thanks to Don for so graciously giving of his time.

Don Mackay.jpg

Original-Press-Photo-Blackburn-Rovers-Don-Mackay-Manager.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg


View full record

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant to hear from the Don, fantastic teenage memories when he breathed new life into the club and nice to hear him pay tribute to Saxton. When you look at where the other local rivals where at that time those two worked miracles. 

Saxton brought in Sellars, Don got in Hendry. Gayle, Speedie and both of them got the best out of Garner - All my fav Rovers cult hero's right there !

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Quite brilliant. Thank you. 

Any chance of doing one with Bobby Saxton? 

Gotta be honest, it’s all about who we can make contact with by using our network...if we get wind of someone who knows someone then we give it a go...we have some irons in various fires & we have some friends who are very helpful. Hopefully we can deliver some more as the year progresses...??

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tomphil said:

Brilliant to hear from the Don, fantastic teenage memories when he breathed new life into the club and nice to hear him pay tribute to Saxton. When you look at where the other local rivals where at that time those two worked miracles. 

Saxton brought in Sellars, Don got in Hendry. Gayle, Speedie and both of them got the best out of Garner - All my fav Rovers cult hero's right there !

Did Saxton bring in Ian Miller? He certainly sped up the development of Barker and Patterson. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Did Saxton bring in Ian Miller? He certainly sped up the development of Barker and Patterson. 

Not sure in fact for years I thought DM had signed Sellars !  

Speaking of Barker I remember him standing out, whatever happened to good all round midfielders like his type ?  Have they disappeared or are we just so engrained in the two defensive mids mold now at Ewood that seems to have manifested itself in the last 8 years that we've forgotten they exist ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look forward to listening to it. Really unlucky manager who did a fantastic job in the late 80s.

Don’t certain voices just take you back, my first manager as a kid. You took any coverage you could in those days, can still remember him being on a Granada show with Elton Welsby or whoever taking about our ‘good foootball’.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could tell he'd worked with Souness Don had the same minerals there never seemed to be any playing for a draw or damage limitation with him although most teams played with wingers and two up top in that period.

Edited by tomphil
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think all fans have a particular fondness for a certain era/manager at their club. As much as I love KK and th Prem winning team, my favourite time will always Rovers under The Don. Thank you for a brilliant listen.

@Herbie6590 - you now have your full Des Lynam stripes.  Thank you for a brilliant listen.?? 

 

Edited by blueboy3333
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think all fans have a particular fondness for a certain era/manager at their club. As much as I love KK and th Prem winning team, my favourite time will always Rovers under The Don. Thank you for a brilliant listen.

@Herbie6590 - you now have your full Des Lynam stripes.  Thank you for a brilliant listen.?? 

 

My favourite time following Rovers spans the Simon Garner period and the Managers, other players involved. 

The best Rovers team I saw was way back in 63/64.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had some cracking teams down the years and the best one I've seen is the one that won the league but that particular Rovers side in that Villa match era would've given any one of them a game.   They spank this current lot quite easily.

That Villa match was the best atmosphere I remember on the old Ewood it was electric from start to finish.  God knows how many were actually on but you can bet it was a couple of thousand more than the official stats lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tomphil said:

We've had some cracking teams down the years and the best one I've seen is the one that won the league but that particular Rovers side in that Villa match era would've given any one of them a game.   They spank this current lot quite easily.

That Villa match was the best atmosphere I remember on the old Ewood it was electric from start to finish.  God knows how many were actually on but you can bet it was a couple of thousand more than the official stats lol

And with no Riverside as well! Love this video. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done to everyone. What a good listen. Great memories.

That Full Members Cup!

I still remember the players on the coach, realising that so many of the travelling fans didn't recognise them. And to think I saw Dylan at Wembley before I ever saw my own team there!

Link to post
Share on other sites

87-96 5 Wembley appearances, not bad at all for a medium sized unfashionable northern town club. Saw all but the one in that daft multi team comp.

Will we ever go again though.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • J*B unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.