BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

For me you are unfair on the Smallwood and Evans axis, not in terms of its admittedly lack of effectiveness but in terms of how often its used. Since Travis' emergence, when we all presumed the status quo would be resumed, Travis has in the main retained his place (his levels dipped after an excellent first few games) and the Smallwood and Evans partnership has rarely been used really. Id agree that it shouldnt be used again but its also unfair to group the two together, Evans has been one of our better players this season and certainly shouldnt be banished. Smallwood is short of the required quality but lets not group the two together. Its playing Smallwood especially with Evans that is the problem.

Never said that Evans & Smallwood always play together, it's that Mowbray has to pick one of them. To drop both last night was a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

As usual there is a lot of drivel on here!

It was a must not lose/must win game, we won and took the 3 points. Happy with the result and it breaks a horrid last few games where results have all gone against us and we have picked up injury after injury, that’s football, we get on with it and we move forward.

This season was about cementing our spot in this division, it was never going to be easy, look at both Wigan and Rotherham for evidence of that. It was about pure consolidation anything else, anything higher than the bottom 3 was acceptable, it was/is progress.

No good moaning about anything else, we need 3 points to secure our position and after last season and the one before, it’s positive progress.

So get over the whingeing and whining, stop moping and get behind the team for the rest of the season.

I am sure there is some big plans in place for next season and I am certainly sure TM can take us up another notch with the right backing. Backing that includes the fan base.

Yes it’s been awful, yes, we have been in the cusp of an unexpected play off spot but let’s be real, we are not that far off the likes of PNE who have done nothing but float over us like they have won the league YET we are just 4 points off them.

So come on guys (and girls and whatever), get over your criticisms and get on with following and supporting our team.

It could be worse we could be in Wigan’s position???

• Like 6

• Backroom
7 hours ago, Tom said:

Another thing that was noticeable was how much poorer and less intense they were than the team we faced in the second half last season.

Rubber Dinghy men they don’t look up for a relegation scrap 

I think Wigan have ‘got ahead of themselves’ a little bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It reads like it was a deserved win. Although not a vintage performance.

Wigan beat Rovers for the League 1 title last year. Rovers are sitting in a much better spot than them this season despite the iffy run since January. I'd say that Mowbray has done his job.

The result should put any talk of relegation to bed, which is nice.

It was good to see that 4 academy graduates played last night which has led to a couple of blooding the youngsters posts. My guess is that Mowbray only did it out of necessity. He'll be back to his tried and tested group as soon as they are fit.

I'm not sure this is totally fair as he has persisted with Travis. Perhaps the same will happen with Mangalore

6 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

It’s a shame, I like Charlie and he contributes a lot but he really can’t defend or lead a back line that well.

I think he would work effectively on the left of a 3 though, and we get to keep his wand-foot out there too if this is the way forward.

The key for Mulgrew and Rodwell is to only play one of them and make sure you have plenty of pace and physicality around them. Then you can just about survive.

But they are both luxury defenders. We would replace them if we had the resources.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

It was a must not lose/must win game, we won and took the 3 points. Happy with the result and it breaks a horrid last few games where results have all gone against us and we have picked up injury after injury, that’s football, we get on with it and we move forward.

This season was about cementing our spot in this division, it was never going to be easy, look at both Wigan and Rotherham for evidence of that. It was about pure consolidation anything else, anything higher than the bottom 3 was acceptable, it was/is progress.

No good moaning about anything else, we need 3 points to secure our position and after last season and the one before, it’s positive progress.

So get over the whingeing and whining, stop moping and get behind the team for the rest of the season.

I am sure there is some big plans in place for next season and I am certainly sure TM can take us up another notch with the right backing. Backing that includes the fan base.

Yes it’s been awful, yes, we have been in the cusp of an unexpected play off spot but let’s be real, we are not that far off the likes of PNE who have done nothing but float over us like they have won the league YET we are just 4 points off them.

So come on guys (and girls and whatever), get over your criticisms and get on with following and supporting our team.

Critiquing individual performances or aspects of a performance is not failure to support the club.

Wigan and Rotherham are not the sort of barometer we should be comparing against, both have far less resources than ours.

The fans are behind the team on match days so I am not sure that your post is fair.

Very much enjoyed the result last night as did all fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I think Wigan have ‘got ahead of themselves’ a little bit.

Think Wigan have shot themselves in the foot a bit, when we played them in league 1 I thought they were a decent physical side with some players I’d have here but they sold a lot of them without replacing. Bit odd their recruitment 

• Like 2

No there isn't.

Sorry, see what you mean now. 

Ok Tony, have a biscuit.

• Like 1

• Backroom
20 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Evans was ok until he got his new contract, now he has reverted back to type.

Been having a good laugh at the club for years that lad.

0 goals and 0 assists. Even Smallwood has one assist. Always has been and always will be a nothing player who can at times look "tidy" but in reality offers very little to a genuinely ambitious side.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DE. said:

0 goals and 0 assists. Even Smallwood has one assist. Always has been and always will be a nothing player who can at times look "tidy" but in reality offers very little to a genuinely ambitious side.

Spot on. First name off the books for me, even before Williams and Conway. I genuinely don't get what he offers. He's coasted at this club to long as one of the top earners and offered next to nothing

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Spot on. First name off the books for me, even before Williams and Conway. I genuinely don't get what he offers. He's coasted at this club to long as one of the top earners and offered next to nothing

He was given a new contract recently until Summer 2021 and I would think he is one of the highest paid at the club. I can't see his transfer value being that high.

I just didn't see any justification in him getting a new deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DE. said:

He had maybe two games this season where he was our best player. I def remember one in Hull and I think the West Brom game? 

It's not good enough to warrant being one of our highest paid players. A squad player, no more, to a team hoping to win promotion. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

• Backroom
58 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He had maybe two games this season where he was our best player. I def remember one in Hull and I think the West Brom game? 

It's not good enough to warrant being one of our highest paid players. A squad player, no more, to a team hoping to win promotion. 

Agreed. The highest paid players should be able to turn a game around when things aren't going well, either through goals/assists or pulling the team forward by the scruff of the neck with sheer attitude and determination. Graham, Dack and Mulgrew fit into this category. They all have flaws but can produce something special when needed. Evans simply does not and has never fallen into this category.

I wouldn't be opposed to him being at the club as a backup player on a lower wage, but I don't see him as a starter if we're genuinely aiming to get out of this league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Mowbray has thrown the towel in away from home, and it is reflected in the team's approach and body language when we go 2 nil down. 

I sincerely wish there was a scrap of evidence to the contrary since January.... 

Not just since January. It’s no coincidence that 3 of our 4 January wins were at home and the fourth was a very fortuitous late win at Millwall.

Today will be our tenth away defeat including Wigan and Rotherham. Plus a draw against Championship whipping boys, Ipswich.