BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, JHRover said:

I think ourselves and Wigan have probably suffered from over-confidence following promotion. Both managers probably felt loyalty to last season's heroes and believed they were good enough to coast to survival in the Championship. Both ourselves and Wigan enjoyed momentum from last season which has kept both our heads above water up to now, both have seen the rot well and truly set in although we had the benefit of a purple patch in January which Wigan didn't have. Both sides heavily reliant on home form which until recently was very good.

I see more Championship experience at Rovers than at Wigan, and also our manager is more experienced at this level than Cook who is used to managing promotion favourites in the lower leagues rather than relegation favourites in a big league.

Wigan have also had their takeover saga to deal with and less of a budget than we have enjoyed.

As for Rotherham I suspect their fans are delighted just to be in with a chance of survival in this league. Completely different expectation levels for them having been long term League One/Two rather than Premier League.

Yeah the coasting/loyalty element has been a huge factor, which is a shame as you'd expect a man of Mowbray's footballing experience and supposed wisdom to be able to recognise and address early on. Here's hoping that he learns from this moving forward, he needs to show a ruthless/decisive streak from now on if he's going to take us further, and more so maintain his opportunity to take us further.

Speaking of that home form - just read that Wigan have only won once on the road this season and that was August. Knowing Rovers as I do..........

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What kind of player is Magloire? 

Looks like a big centre half!

Listening to Mowbray he’s blaming the luck of the ball not bouncing right etc so I don’t expect major changes 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If one of the centre backs gets injured he'll have to do. When you look back at the old centre halves like Keeley, Hawkins, Hunter etc they might not have been great at step overs and keepy uppies but they could put their bodies on the line every week and play every game.

I honestly believe he would put Bennett,.Smallwood or Reed there before bringing magloire on. I hope the kid gets a game. He has alot of talent but I can't see Tony playing him. Wharton is far more ready for first team football imo but he's not here.

8 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Not saying he'll get on. Just more of a concern that you're saying he's not ready and now he's in the squad, all it takes is Nyambe or Williams injury (both could very well happen) and he's on, which is worrying based on what you've seen of the lad.

He is a good defender but he is very error prone. He needs a loan first. Can you imagine if he comes on or starts and costs us the game. 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He will fit right in so 

At this stage I'm all for giving him a go. Sink or swim but not against wigan in a must win derby. It would be nice to stop the rot and then at least we can give the young lads and Tony the benefit of the doubt but we can't continue losing and it's not the best environment to be putting a young untried lad at cb for his and our sakes

Edited by Oldgregg86

• Moderation Lead

I can't stand the Black Eyed Peas, but I've never wanted to hear 'tonight's gonna be a good night' more than I do at the end of every game.....

Just stop being rubbish please, lads!

To use an Americanism, the 'depth chart' on Centre Backs must read as follows.

Mulgrew

Lenihan

Rodwell

Downing [Loan]

Williams

Nyambe

Wharton [Loan]

Grayson [Loan]

Magloire

Doyle

Proving with nobody out on loan, and everyone fit, Magloire is probably 9th choice. Even with the loanees, he's still 6th choice. Desperate times!!

I'm convinced the pairing tomorrow will be Nyambe and Williams, with Bennett at right back. Bell at left back......[shudder] My guess therefore would be the following team. 

Raya

Bennett - Nyambe - Williams - Bell

Smallwood - Evans

Reed - Dack - Armstrong

Graham

Subs - Leutweiler, Magloire, Travis, Rothwell, Conway, Brereton, Nuttall

3 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

I'm convinced the pairing tomorrow will be Nyambe and Williams, with Bennett at right back. Bell at left back......[shudder] My guess therefore would be the following team. 

Raya

Bennett - Nyambe - Williams - Bell

Smallwood - Evans

Reed - Dack - Armstrong

Graham

Subs - Leutweiler, Magloire, Travis, Rothwell, Conway, Brereton, Nuttall

Bingo. I think that will be the exact team.

I'd personally put Travis at right back, with Reed/Evans in the middle behind Arma/Dack/Rothwell for this one.

• Like 1

Just now, davulsukur said:

It's a fair shout, Bennett has struggled at right back for a while now.

I'd prefer Reed in CM but needs must.

Yup, played pretty much all of last season at RB for Norwich and impressed there. Not like we're playing him in his best CM position anyway, so would certainly prefer him at RB over Bennett. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Playing Bennett at RB and Evans and Smallwood at home is absolutely tragic. 

We don't really have much choice but at right back if we're sticking Nyambe at centre back, but that still doesn't excuse Evans and Smallwood in the middle of the park.

Particularly when Lewis Travis is available.

• Like 3

Quotes from Mowbray. We have now entered the Steve Kean zone. Read the last sentence closely.

“Derrick has to be seen as a centre half in this situation. The flexibility he has enables him to play left back, as he did for all of last season,” Mowbray said.

“At this moment he’s very much a centre half in my mind.

“We will put together a team that I believe will be really competitive and we’ll look to be on the front foot, and let’s hope the defenders don’t have much work to do.

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• J*B pinned this topic
2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Raya

Travis-Nyambe-Williams-Bell

Bennett-Reed-Evans-Armstrong

Dack

Graham

Not picking on you, just illustrating where we are - but that entire back four is abysmal in the air. All Wigan need to do is hoof it into our box and they are guaranteed goals.

The only sensible action is to recall the loanees. Mowbray has to do it.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Not picking on you, just illustrating where we are - but that entire back four is abysmal in the air. All Wigan need to do is hoof it into our box and they are guaranteed goals.

The only sensible action is to recall the loanees. Mowbray has to do it.

We can't recall the loanees. We're awful in the air regardless.

3 minutes ago, Amo said:

Worth a crack. Isn't Travis a right-back by trade?

I believe most of his u23/kids appearances came there.

He came on in defence away at West Brom earlier this season and was excellent, with 10 men for large parts of it. Seem to remember him playing at right back in one of his first games for us and looking good, no idea who that was against and when.

If it's between him and Bennett for right back, I can't think of a single reason to choose Bennett when it comes to technical and physical ability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

We can't recall the loanees. We're awful in the air regardless.

Where has that been confirmed?

Did we really loan players without the option of recall? And leave ourselves with only Williams, Lenihan and Mulgrew as proper centreback? And Lenihan and Williams are really converted from other positions like Rodwell.

If so that is absolutely crackers.

Edited by joey_big_nose

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

Jump to rules 55.1.1 and 55.1.2 - a standard loan must either be a full season or half a season e.g. the time between two transfer windows. Any recall clause can only be included in a full season standard loan and can only be activated during the winter window.

• Like 1