BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday away Sat 16th March

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

With a back five of Gennoe

Branagan, Keeley, Fazackerly, Rathbone we'd have been in the play offs this season with about 25 goals conceded.

Give over they’re well old.

Now we have the winless streak off our backs, and a few goals to boot, hoping to see a rebooted Rovers on Saturday. Dack should have his confidence boosted, as should Graham if he makes to Sheffield.  Looking forward to the international break after this one, as we should hopefully see a few more defenders/midfielders back come the end of the month. Match build up, a prediction from the cat and more.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

With a back five of Gennoe

Branagan, Keeley, Fazackerly, Rathbone we'd have been in the play offs this season with about 25 goals conceded.

and how many red cards? ....different game these days, Killer would struggle to last a full 60 minutes most weeks [and not because he was tired]

I'd look to rest Graham for this one, he was holding his hamstring before he went off on Tuesday and now we're safe lets not ruin him.   

Thought we looked better when we went to 4 at the back on Tuesday in the second half.

Rothwell is well overdue a start, Chapman on the bench start him of with 20 mins then go from there.

Nuttall or Armstrong up front to deputise for Graham.

Raya

Nyambe   Magloire  Williams   Bell (if fit)

Bennett    Reed      Travis       Rothwell

Dack

Armstong/Nuttall

Subs: Canadian, Smallwood, Evans, Conway, Chapman, Armstrong/Nuttall, Brereton/Graham.

If we go 3 at the back then something like:

Raya

Nyambe      Magloire    Williams

Rankin-Costollo         Reed        Travis          Bell/Bennett

Dack               Rothwell

Nuttall/Armstrong

For Saturday, I'd go for:

Raya

Nyambe Magloire Williams Bennett

Reed Travis

Armstrong Dack Rothwell

Brereton

Hopefully try play a bit of on the deck footy and now we're safe lets get ready for next season.

Give Chapman the last half hour too.

Tough game this one, I don't think we'll get anything in all honesty. Wednesday have conceded something like 2 in their last 6 or 7 at home, winning most of them. Add the facts of them having an outside play off chance and we're poor away, it doesn't look great. Bruce breeds low scoring, clean sheet wins at home so we may as well go out and try and score a few.

Wouldn't rest Graham unless he actually is injured, without him on Tuesday I think the game would've finished 0-0. 

Definitely wouldn't go back to the back 4  - 2 centre backs made out of any of those lot, flanked by two full backs made out of any of those lot, would be a horribly exposed back line. 

Taking in to account the present injury situation I'd go:

Raya

Nyambe Magloire Williams

Travis          Reed      Evans          Bennett

Rothwell                  Dack

Graham

I think its worth us looking whether Dack and Rothwell can form a creative partnership behind a number 9 like Graham before the season is out, with next seasons approach in mind.

Wing backs aren't ideal by any stretch of the imagination, and it's a shame to take Travis out of the middle, but it's needs be at the moment and arguably the most sensible option with attack and defence in mind.

YELLOWS.

• Like 1

I can't agree with 'resting' Graham. After Saturday we don't have a game for two weeks and he can recover then. I don't believe we are the same team without him and his presence in our own penalty area cannot be underestimated particularly as Wednesday are a big side.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Think if we’re playing 3 at the back it would be harsh to drop Conway. Played well for me.

Otherwise I like that with Armstrong up top

No doubt he did well Tuesday and was a good outlet for the pass, but I think he could get slaughtered defensively by a good winger and attacking side. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Only 6 subs on Saturday apparently, but it was fine letting Downing go. 

I've never heard anything like it we have a under 23's team with players we signed presumably for the first team like Chapman and Davenport, along with promising youngsters like Buckley and Rankin-Costello. His reluctance to use Chapman is getting beyond a joke and I don't believe that he is not fit enough to play at least 30 minutes for the first team. But if Chapman isn't deemed fit enough why would you not put a youngster like Buckely on the bench to give him a taste of first team experience? For someone who was saying a while back he wouldn't be afraid to give youngsters a chance, Mowbray certainly gives that impression, it took 3 centre backs to get injured before Magloire even got in the squad.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I've never heard anything like it we have a under 23's team with players we signed presumably for the first team like Chapman and Davenport, along with promising youngsters like Buckley and Rankin-Costello. His reluctance to use Chapman is getting beyond a joke and I don't believe that he is not fit enough to play at least 30 minutes for the first team. But if Chapman isn't deemed fit enough why would you not put a youngster like Buckely on the bench to give him a taste of first team experience? For someone who was saying a while back he wouldn't be afraid to give youngsters a chance, Mowbray certainly gives that impression, it took 3 centre backs to get injured before Magloire even got in the squad.

It's apparently because the under 23s have a game the night before, but that doesn't really do it for me. The first team should have a full bench 

I will never, ever understand why at 2 days notice the manager is contemplating heading to Sheffield with an empty space on the bench. The only circumstances I could understand it would be if we came down with a virus on the morning of the game meaning a few were missing and we didn't have time to draft in replacements.

Even with the U23s playing on Friday night, there should be no reason one of those who play could not be subbed off after 60 minutes, and get on the coach to Sheffield on Saturday morning, Unlikely that the player would get called upon to play but if he did it wouldn't be too much to ask for a young lad to play in 2 matches in 24 hours, and it would be a massive experience to some of them to travel with the 1st team to Wednesday and experience pre-match etc.

Even more bizarre that two of those players, Chapman and Davenport, have been signed by this manager in the last couple of transfer windows and have seemingly got nowhere near the first team picture despite being signed as such.

• Like 2

Just lining the excuses up an Injury crisis all of a sudden can cover up the other cracks in public.

If I was him i'd be saying to Mulgrew if he's suddenly fit to play for Scotland don't bother coming back at all, i'd have said the same to Evans years ago.

Still a soft touch this club.

That might be an unplanned plan of sorts although on the other side of the coin chairmen and owners at clubs have been accused of creating situations in the past were managers have no option but to use their squads and youngsters to save spending on more.

Doubt that's the case here  though its been more of an imbalance issue not actual size imo.

Think Mowbray is getting his excuses in early as I fear we are in for a right mullering.

How the feck can Chapman not be ready for at least 45 minutes 1st team action?

Just hope Armstrong does not start this match.  I thought his performance against Wigan was awful - the lad, IMO, simply has no touch whatsoever.

Hope someone has had a serious conversation with Williams and explained to him that he is meant to pass a ball to one of his team mates and not, IMO, almost constantly to the opposition or out of play.

I hope Mowbray is coming to the end of his reign as fed-up of watching what I think is awful football with no game plan.

2 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

im damn sure that bench will be filled come Saturday ..What Mowbray says mid week and what happens on Saturdays are usually nowt like.

I have a recollection of us not having the full quota of substitutes in the recent past. I'm sure a couple of players fell ill on the morning of a long distance away match.

Anybody remember this?

Just now, arbitro said:

I have a recollection of us not having the full quota of substitutes in the recent past. I'm sure a couple of players fell ill on the morning of a long distance away match.

Anybody remember this?

Yeah does ring a bell tbh. Shirley we aint that unlucky ..? ..oh hang on ..

19 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Yeah does ring a bell tbh. Shirley we aint that unlucky ..? ..oh hang on ..

In the article below it says we could only name six substitutes for the second time that season.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/14213138.FULL-TIME_REPORT__Newport_County_1_Blackburn_Rovers_2/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think Mowbray is getting his excuses in early as I fear we are in for a right mullering.

How the feck can Chapman not be ready for at least 45 minutes 1st team action?

Just hope Armstrong does not start this match.  I thought his performance against Wigan was awful - the lad, IMO, simply has no touch whatsoever.

Hope someone has had a serious conversation with Williams and explained to him that he is meant to pass a ball to one of his team mates and not, IMO, almost constantly to the opposition or out of play.

I hope Mowbray is coming to the end of his reign as fed-up of watching what I think is awful football with no game plan.

Yes, on Williams.  What is mowbray thinking when he sits down to pick his squad.? Del is useless as a footballer...looks the part, stubble beard etc....but my God,  he ain't half cack.