BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Just now, PAFELL said:

He was a defender - Rovers defence needs sorting out.

He brought Marvin Emes into the Boro squad.

He is not Kean, Not coyle.

One of a few idiots willing to work under those ruining the club.

Having Dunn in the management team, hopefully will be good for both Rovers and Dunn.

Thanks. We were going down with coil so let's see.

• Backroom

His win % in his full time positions, for those who are interested:

Hibs - 48.15%

WBA - 40.71%

Celtic - 51.11%

Boro - 39.87%

Coventry - 34.67%

Overall - 41.98%

In comparison, Coyle's overall win % is 39.32%. Overalls arguably aren't a great stat to use though, as Lambert is only 38.9% (Rev will like that), and Bowyer is 35.63%.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Plenty of experience at the bottom of League 1... will come in handy next season

I feel physically sick.

Goodbye Championship. More preparation for League One.

We are still a joke of a club from top to bottom. Makes me wonder if Shearer and co knew that it was Mowbray lined up.

Every single decision has been the wrong one. Venkys should be a swear word all of its own.

The protests continue.

• Like 1

This maintains my theory that appointments now have to have a promotion on their CV to get the job.

Lambert with Norwich

Warnock with QPR

Adkins with Soton

Coyle with dingles

Mowbray with WBA

Someone somewhere has decided that experience of winning promotion from this league is essential. Its a shame they didn't insist on that back in 2012 when Kean went and they were spending money. These days its irrelevant really who is in the dugout. Cheston has made clear the 'ambition' at this club is to cut costs and recent managerial appointments show this.

Just now, DE. said:

His win % in his full time positions, for those who are interested:

Hibs - 48.15%

WBA - 40.71%

Celtic - 51.11%

Boro - 39.87%

Coventry - 34.67%

Overall - 41.98%

In comparison, Coyle's overall win % is 39.32%. Overalls arguably aren't a great stat to use though, as Lambert is only 38.9% (Rev will like that), and Bowyer is 35.63%.

He may not be the appointment folk wanted - but has to be better than coyle.

It is the cheap option - reality is that is where the club is at.

He has got the job, that isn't going to change now. I will support him, until he gives reason for not doing so.

Whoever came in is on a hiding to nothing - 15 games. Got to hit the ground running.

If he keeps Rovers up, we will praise him. If not, we will curses him.

• Like 1

Positives: He tries to get his teams to play attractive, passing football.  No long-ball hoof merchant.

Negatives: His teams don't win many games.

The most worrying thing is his title - "head coach".  Suggests to me he won't have the final say on transfers and will effectively be expected to work with what he's given from Senior.  And as I'm sure Senior has been brought in to cut costs wherever possible, he's not going to be given much.

• Like 1

Just now, Scotty said:

Positives: He tries to get his teams to play attractive, passing football.  No long-ball hoof merchant.

Negatives: His teams don't win many games.

The most worrying thing is his title - "head coach".  Suggests to me he won't have the final say on transfers and will effectively be expected to work with what he's given from Senior.  And as I'm sure Senior has been brought in to cut costs wherever possible, he's not going to be given much.

You answered your negative section of your post with your positives.

That is why he doesn't get results as he doesn't have a f****n clue.

• Like 1

Just now, roverstdt said:

Interesting.

Was expecting plenty of 'LOLs' 'and God help them' and such like, but seemed to be well thought of (ish)

Right, need to get some new straws...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Interesting.

Was expecting plenty of 'LOLs' 'and God help them' and such like, but seemed to be well thought of (ish)

Right, need to get some new straws...

General consensus seems to be decent bloke, not much of a football manager. So basically Bowyer Mk II, but with a much worse squad. 

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

This maintains my theory that appointments now have to have a promotion on their CV to get the job.

Lambert with Norwich

Warnock with QPR

Adkins with Soton

Coyle with dingles

Mowbray with WBA

Someone somewhere has decided that experience of winning promotion from this league is essential. Its a shame they didn't insist on that back in 2012 when Kean went and they were spending money. These days its irrelevant really who is in the dugout. Cheston has made clear the 'ambition' at this club is to cut costs and recent managerial appointments show this.

mmm  ..full circle   the irony  is Big Sam had this on his CV

Just now, DE. said:

General consensus seems to be decent bloke, not much of a football manager. So basically Bowyer Mk II, but with a much worse squad. 

That sounds alright for now. I really hated coil, I could not look at his face or listen to him, the fact he was rovers manager really got to me :blink:. At least this guy seems decent.

Just for references sake, glancing at Mowbray's time at Coventry (purely looking at the record, no idea about context actual context, which I gather was generally less than ideal, etc.):

Joined in March 2015 with Coventry in 20th place. Went 5-4-5 the rest of the year (a pace that would've put them T11th over the course of the year), and they finished 17th.

2015-16, Coventry had a very strong first half, being in 1st place as late as the end of November with a record of 11-6-3. However, they had a pretty miserable run-in, going 8-6-12 to finish the year in 11th.

2016-17, pretty awful with Mowbray resigning after starting the year 0-6-4 and dead last. May not entirely have been his fault given the apparent turmoil at Coventry, and while Coventry had a brief respite after he left, they've since had 7- and 5-game losing streaks, and are 9 points from safety (though they now have Yakubu who will surely save them).

Just now, DE. said:

Always struck me as a bit odd that draws are often effectively ignored in evaluating manager's this way (I get it, who enjoys settling for draws and they don't exactly get you cups/promoted/etc). 40% tends to strike me as pretty 'typical' number for a managers that manage to stick around football, albeit not with the same team...

Worrying that he hasn't brought in his own staff.

Tried this with Berg and it was a disaster.

Obviously the cheap option.

Fingers crossed he doesn't praise the owners and lie in his first interview like Coyle.

Im underwhelmed but will give him a chance.

• Backroom
Just now, chor808 said:

That sounds alright for now. I really hated coil, I could not look at his face or listen to him, the fact he was rovers manager really got to me :blink:. At least this guy seems decent.

We're in a terminal downward spiral under Venky's anyway, so if there's someone in the dugout who I don't despise then that's a bonus. I'd rather it was Tony Mowbray than one of our former players dirtying their hands with this mess.

Just now, OJRovers said:

Worrying that he hasn't brought in his own staff.

Tried this with Berg and it was a disaster.

Obviously the cheap option.

Fingers crossed he doesn't praise the owners and lie in his first interview like Coyle.

Im underwhelmed but will give him a chance.

On the flip side, perhaps a change in backroom staff could work in his favour.

Disappointed appointment. As I expected he is head coach not manager so Senior will in charge of transfer and be an actually director of football. Hope he can keep us up. Lets hope he can sort defence out. Cant be any worse then Coyle. 

On coaching staff, I'm pleased that Mowbray havent bought in his staff from Coventry. Hopefully Lowe and Dunn will be good coaches. Maybe Mowbray wanted them as part of staff. Hopefully he will be ask this tomorrow in press conference.