BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Done a good job and I said a while ago he's a good fit for the club on many levels and is the experienced all round guy we've been crying out for a long time, helped by being left to do his job obviously.

Only real issues I have like a few others are his constant tinkering and formation changes game in game out which has led to some awful first halves and has held the team back at times I feel and I think there's plenty evidence. That though is balanced out by his canny knack of changing for the better so there must be method in his madness as we are top, he's making use of what he has effectively if not spectacularly. If we have to grind the season out that way so be it he isn't going to change I don't think.

Long way to go yet and many acid tests to pass but so far so good, fair play to him.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good read chaddy, and as Asia says above, well timed also to give everyone a sense of togetherness for the run in, someone with a brain has finally entered the building!

Mowbray, having spent many years at Middlesbrough understand the supporters and what the club means to the town, both clubs/towns are remarkably similar and Mowbray gets it.

The job this season is nowhere near done and we'll have a few ups and downs in the weeks to come, but as I've consistently said all season, I believe to have us in our current lofty position is remarkable after 8yrs of rape plunder and pillage and for that Mowbray deserves much of the credit.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Didn't we sign Samuel in the summer?

Gotta love Big Tone, regardless of whether you think he's amazing, average or somewhere in between his heart is in the right place. Or at least he comes across like it is. 

you are right, of course we did !  - he at least therefore has no excuse

Mowbray [for all his faults]  has been the right man at the right time for this club, he's mended it from the bottom up and you cant but admire the bloke for the challenge he's taken on.  Would have been so easy for him to walk away but he looks like he made a plan, identified the type of player he wanted and engendered an obvious term spirit and togetherness that hasn't been evident for very many years.  

It looks like he has the 'good bits' Gary Bowyer had, but a bit more steel and directness.

Mowbray is not perfect by any stretch, but in retrospect we struck lucky - things could have been very, very much worse.........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Conway was one of those wanting out. Has been poor this season. Could just be that his legs have gone, but he's never been a pacy player so I'm not convinced. Seems more like he's just not there mentally this season. 

He has lost a bit of pace but he just doesn't look confident to me. Injuries may have taken their toll too. He was brought in by Bowyer to do a specific job which was to put the ball on Rhodes and Rudy's head which he did superbly. He doesn't have that option now so his effectiveness has been diluted somewhat. He's an out-and -out winger and we just don't play that way anymore and we rarely have anyone in the box to head it anyway besides Graham. Very few work harder than him though so he's good to have around. For the money we spent on him he's been a brilliant signing overall.

• Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

He has lost a bit of pace but he just doesn't look confident to me. Injuries may have taken their toll too. He was brought in by Bowyer to do a specific job which was to put the ball on Rhodes and Rudy's head which he did superbly. He doesn't have that option now so his effectiveness has been diluted somewhat. He's an out-and -out winger and we just don't play that way anymore and we rarely have anyone in the box to head it anyway besides Graham. Very few work harder than him though so he's good to have around. For the money we spent on him he's been a brilliant signing overall.

I agree, he's been a great player for us over the years and his consistent record of assists speaks for itself. For whatever reason it just hasn't worked out for him this season, which is a shame as I still think he has the means to be effective even if we aren't playing with wide players. Entirely possible it is just a confidence thing, but it's a shame either way as along with Evans he's one of the bigger earners who I would have expected more out of this season. I imagine he'll end up back in Scotland if he continues playing as I can't imagine we'll be offering him an extension whether we go up or not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Reckon the players who wanted out was Lenihan Mulgrew Evans Steele

With the exception of Mulgrew, I agree with the other 3 and would add Graham to the list. I also suspect Mowbray didn't want Lowe either, which is why he was allowed to leave and thankfully the rumours of his return in January proved false.

I believe Mulgrew and his family are happily settled in Wrea Green and his kids are at Arnold School. He may be one that thinks there's more to life than chasing the dollar.

He has certainly buckled down and fought the cause so far this season and in the fullness of time, could be seen as an Ewood legend, just as Tugay is.

• Like 1

Just now, darrenrover said:

He has certainly buckled down and fought the cause so far this season and in the fullness of time, could be seen as an Ewood legend, just as Tugay is.

I don’t think we’ll ever see a defender score so many again, let alone anyone score 7(ish?) direct free kicks in a season. Sir Charles of Mulgrewshire is already hitting iconic levels, not quite the legend of the Turk.

Just now, Biz said:

I don’t think we’ll ever see a defender score so many again, let alone anyone score 7(ish?) direct free kicks in a season. Sir Charles of Mulgrewshire is already hitting iconic levels, not quite the legend of the Turk.

Yet.

Sign a couple of decent defenders in the summer and Sir Charles could yet step forward to play alongside a combative midfielder.

He needs to practice coming to the Riverside touchline on 75 minutes before taking 5 minutes to trudge towards the JW stand, waving to all quarters of the stadium, as he was subbed.

Great player, great memories Biz.

• Like 2

Just now, darrenrover said:

Yet.

Sign a couple of decent defenders in the summer and Sir Charles could yet step forward to play alongside a combative midfielder.

He needs to practice coming to the Riverside touchline on 75 minutes before taking 5 minutes to trudge towards the JW stand, waving to all quarters of the stadium, as he was subbed.

Great player, great memories Biz.

We’ve been spoilt rotten over the years talent but Tugay was quite something else. I think Charlie might be one of those who just keeps going the same way, and he’s only 31... Tugay only signed for us at 31, didn’t he? 

• Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

We’ve been spoilt rotten over the years talent but Tugay was quite something else. I think Charlie might be one of those who just keeps going the same way, and he’s only 31... Tugay only signed for us at 31, didn’t he? 

I think Tugay was north of 30 when he signed for us.

I also agree we've been spoilt rotten, was having just that same conversation yesterday in the barbers. It was all fundamentally down to Jack's desire and generosity and for that I'm eternally grateful. We've lived the dream that's for sure, just a shame that the legacy has been squandered as it has.

Anyway, back to Mulgrew; without doubt he could become a Rovers legend, here's hoping.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Anyway, back to Mulgrew; without doubt he could become a Rovers legend, here's hoping.

As Rovers fans we don't give legendary status to many and because of the circumstances Mulgrew has come to us under I doubt he'll reach that level.

All that said if he leads the side to successive promotions he'll be an instant legend, either that or he sticks one of Balaji, so fingers crossed on either of those. 

But I take nothing away from the guy, top player for us and long may that continue. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 01:09, Biz said:

Still my favourite player of all time - and thats ahead of any of our title winning team.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 3

On 25/02/2018 at 19:46, robbojohnno said:

It's been a good year on the whole under Mowbray but the next 12 games will define his reign. Heres my two penniesworth.. https://bobbysblag.com/2018/02/25/a-year-with-tomo/

You do realise in that year we were relegated to league 1 for the 1st time in 38 years and as yet have achieved sweet FA ;)

Tony Mowbray remembers the flurry of text messages from fellow managers inferring he was a “glutton for punishment” upon taking over at Blackburn Rovers. The doubters have long since dried up.

The 54-year-old spent a rare day off at home on Teesside on Thursday, one which coincided with his sons’ snowbound school being shut. He, and his family, spent it sledging together and it is tempting to suggest this was the only occasion in recent months in which his fortunes have gone downhill.

Mowbray has just marked a year in charge at Ewood Park with his side at the summit of League One and hosting third-placed Wigan Athletic tomorrow in a fixture pivotal to promotion hopes and also laced with symbolism.

That was not the plan, of course. The frustration at being unable to save the club from relegation on the final day of last season, despite accruing 22 points from his 15 games in charge, losing just three, has been channelled into trying to return at the first attempt.

The push is underpinned by experience and common sense. Mowbray stressed the importance of keeping the likes of Charlie Mulgrew, 31, Danny Graham, 32, and the 27-year-old Corry Evans, while acknowledging they probably did not envisage themselves in English football’s third tier, and with some clever recruitment, plus an infusion of youth, progress has been made. The central defender Mulgrew and striker Graham have each scored 12 goals this season.

Mowbray likens the club to a vessel that is no longer floundering but must continue to stay on course. “It is going all right,” he said. “We haven’t achieved anything yet, but we seem to have turned, if you want an analogy, this tanker around from facing the wrong direction.

“Blackburn Rovers shouldn’t be in League One and it was a dangerous time to be relegated. We had 12 players out of contract, none of them re-signed basically because of the salary drops from Championship to League One, so we had to rebuild the squad.

“We managed to keep some key players and, if we are being honest, they would have liked to have seen what was out there in the world for them. They wouldn’t see themselves as League One players, but I took a pretty firm stance. They were going to have to be the backbone of the team to try and get us up.”

Mowbray would have walked away last summer if the Indian owners, Venky’s, had not backed his vision. He had enough of crisis-management and working on a shoestring at Coventry City, a spell that ended with him resigning in September 2016.

New signings were made, among them the midfielder Bradley Dack from Gillingham for £750,000, Blackburn’s leading scorer with 14 goals and four assists, and Venky’s financial commitment to keeping Blackburn as a Category One academy has helped to nurture talents such as the home-grown defender Ryan Nyambe and Barcelona-born goalkeeper David Raya, who has been in the system for six years. Blackburn’s under-23s are top of their league and the under-18s in the quarter-final of the FA Youth Cup.

Mulgrew has scored 12 goals this seasonPaul Currie/BPI/REX/Shutterstock

“I did have some experienced football managers texting me saying; ‘You are a glutton for punishment to take on Blackburn after Coventry,’ ” said Mowbray, whose side have scored more goals than any other team in the division and lost just once since October. “But it is in the belly, really. Every football manager thinks he can turn things around — we all feel we have some magic dust to sprinkle on a team.

“But if the support level wasn’t going to be there, I would have gone in the summer. I had been at Coventry with no money, no facilities, no revenue. You are left with no backbone and no foundation. I didn’t want to have to add 20 players and build from nothing.”

One aspect that is being pieced back together, bit by bit, is the relationship between supporters and the club. There were 12,000 at Ewood Park for the most recent home game, a 2-0 win over Bury, a number that reflects the erosion of trust caused by Venky’s past excesses.

It was a home defeat to Wigan in May 2012 that sent Blackburn hurtling through the Premier League’s trapdoor in front of a mutinous crowd of 26,000. A victory tomorrow would take the hosts nine points ahead of one of their rivals, who have four games in hand, and Mowbray recognises the fixture’s importance.

“Football is all about expectation whether you are Manchester City expected to win the Premier League or Blackburn expected to get out of League One,” he said.

“The away support has been fantastic. We have virtually sold out every ground we have been to — even Wimbledon on a Tuesday night at the end of February we took a massive allocation.

“The home support has, at times, been anxious but only because they are desperate for the team to do well. That’s fine. I understand that. When I think back to us beating Shrewsbury, one of the teams up the top all season, there was a huge waft of support behind the team, and a unity between the football team and supporters. I’m sure Sunday will be the same.”

It took Leeds United three seasons to emerge from the wilderness of League One, Sheffield United six, so Blackburn’s past counted for little. Promotion would be a step forward, but no more.

“We wanted to stop the decline,” Mowbray said. “Sometimes it is hard when a team’s morale is down, you lose good players, the fans are not happy and it’s not a good environment in the stadium. To get people believing again was a test really. Now we must push on.”

• Like 3

7 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Tony Mowbray remembers the flurry of text messages from fellow managers inferring he was a “glutton for punishment” upon taking over at Blackburn Rovers. The doubters have long since dried up.

The 54-year-old spent a rare day off at home on Teesside on Thursday, one which coincided with his sons’ snowbound school being shut. He, and his family, spent it sledging together and it is tempting to suggest this was the only occasion in recent months in which his fortunes have gone downhill.

Mowbray has just marked a year in charge at Ewood Park with his side at the summit of League One and hosting third-placed Wigan Athletic tomorrow in a fixture pivotal to promotion hopes and also laced with symbolism.

That was not the plan, of course. The frustration at being unable to save the club from relegation on the final day of last season, despite accruing 22 points from his 15 games in charge, losing just three, has been channelled into trying to return at the first attempt.

The push is underpinned by experience and common sense. Mowbray stressed the importance of keeping the likes of Charlie Mulgrew, 31, Danny Graham, 32, and the 27-year-old Corry Evans, while acknowledging they probably did not envisage themselves in English football’s third tier, and with some clever recruitment, plus an infusion of youth, progress has been made. The central defender Mulgrew and striker Graham have each scored 12 goals this season.

Mowbray likens the club to a vessel that is no longer floundering but must continue to stay on course. “It is going all right,” he said. “We haven’t achieved anything yet, but we seem to have turned, if you want an analogy, this tanker around from facing the wrong direction.

“Blackburn Rovers shouldn’t be in League One and it was a dangerous time to be relegated. We had 12 players out of contract, none of them re-signed basically because of the salary drops from Championship to League One, so we had to rebuild the squad.

“We managed to keep some key players and, if we are being honest, they would have liked to have seen what was out there in the world for them. They wouldn’t see themselves as League One players, but I took a pretty firm stance. They were going to have to be the backbone of the team to try and get us up.”

Mowbray would have walked away last summer if the Indian owners, Venky’s, had not backed his vision. He had enough of crisis-management and working on a shoestring at Coventry City, a spell that ended with him resigning in September 2016.

New signings were made, among them the midfielder Bradley Dack from Gillingham for £750,000, Blackburn’s leading scorer with 14 goals and four assists, and Venky’s financial commitment to keeping Blackburn as a Category One academy has helped to nurture talents such as the home-grown defender Ryan Nyambe and Barcelona-born goalkeeper David Raya, who has been in the system for six years. Blackburn’s under-23s are top of their league and the under-18s in the quarter-final of the FA Youth Cup.

Mulgrew has scored 12 goals this seasonPaul Currie/BPI/REX/Shutterstock

“I did have some experienced football managers texting me saying; ‘You are a glutton for punishment to take on Blackburn after Coventry,’ ” said Mowbray, whose side have scored more goals than any other team in the division and lost just once since October. “But it is in the belly, really. Every football manager thinks he can turn things around — we all feel we have some magic dust to sprinkle on a team.

“But if the support level wasn’t going to be there, I would have gone in the summer. I had been at Coventry with no money, no facilities, no revenue. You are left with no backbone and no foundation. I didn’t want to have to add 20 players and build from nothing.”

One aspect that is being pieced back together, bit by bit, is the relationship between supporters and the club. There were 12,000 at Ewood Park for the most recent home game, a 2-0 win over Bury, a number that reflects the erosion of trust caused by Venky’s past excesses.

It was a home defeat to Wigan in May 2012 that sent Blackburn hurtling through the Premier League’s trapdoor in front of a mutinous crowd of 26,000. A victory tomorrow would take the hosts nine points ahead of one of their rivals, who have four games in hand, and Mowbray recognises the fixture’s importance.

“Football is all about expectation whether you are Manchester City expected to win the Premier League or Blackburn expected to get out of League One,” he said.

“The away support has been fantastic. We have virtually sold out every ground we have been to — even Wimbledon on a Tuesday night at the end of February we took a massive allocation.

“The home support has, at times, been anxious but only because they are desperate for the team to do well. That’s fine. I understand that. When I think back to us beating Shrewsbury, one of the teams up the top all season, there was a huge waft of support behind the team, and a unity between the football team and supporters. I’m sure Sunday will be the same.”

It took Leeds United three seasons to emerge from the wilderness of League One, Sheffield United six, so Blackburn’s past counted for little. Promotion would be a step forward, but no more.

“We wanted to stop the decline,” Mowbray said. “Sometimes it is hard when a team’s morale is down, you lose good players, the fans are not happy and it’s not a good environment in the stadium. To get people believing again was a test really. Now we must push on.”

Thanks for posting that ODB. An enjoyable read and interesting to hear he was prepared to walk away in the Summer if he wasn't backed.