BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Howard Gayle

FourLaneBlue

The pain of that day. I barely spoke for a week after. It felt like a death of a friend. Even now that bloody song makes me feel sick.

Exactly how I felt. I seem to remember Palace having a threadbare team in the first leg. They seemed unusually confident in the days before the second leg due to the return to fitness of Wright and Bright. It was a surreal nightmare in that pen on a hot day with inflatable bananas aplenty!

I think we brought Sean Curry on and and played an over the hill Ian Miller, showing our own threadbare squad.Andy Kennedy scored a few that year and I think we would have gone up if he had been fit.

• Like 1

I have loved some of the last few posts about the eighties. I was in my late teens and early twenties and despite some of those heartbreak near misses in the play offs, the club was my life back then.

It is a shame that it doesn't feel like that anymore, but no one can take away those feelings or those memories, they are simply priceless.

Ditto.

Used to go into work on Monday and wish the hours away to the next game - absolutely loved the late 80s early 90s following BRFC.

You'd watch Rovers in the afternoon home or away then see the players at Peppermint Place at the end of the night. I remember my mate clipping Scott Sellars round the ear for missing a sitter after a 0-0 draw at Newcastle in 87. Sellars was gutted and apologised.

Great great times.

• Like 4

• 6 years later...
14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I liked Howard, on his day he was class. When he first broke through at Liverpool I thought he was going to go right to the top.

He had quite an unusual debut if I remember correctly.  I think Liverpool had an injury crisis and Kenny Dalglish added to that list after about 10 minutes of a European Cup semi final against Bayern Munich. Howard replaced him and proceeded to run the Germans ragged for an hour but got booked for retaliating to a barrage of fouling, so was subbed back off again before he got himself sent off? He pretty much won them the game that night I think.

Loved Howard, he really geed the fans up. Just wish he'd scored that penalty against Palace at Ewood...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He had quite an unusual debut if I remember correctly.  I think Liverpool had an injury crisis and Kenny Dalglish added to that list after about 10 minutes of a European Cup semi final against Bayern Munich. Howard replaced him and proceeded to run the Germans ragged for an hour but got booked for retaliating to a barrage of fouling, so was subbed back off again before he got himself sent off? He pretty much won them the game that night I think.

Loved Howard, he really geed the fans up. Just wish he'd scored that penalty against Palace at Ewood...

I remember that, the Germans couldn’t handle him at all. He was too quick.

• Like 1