BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Barton

LeChuck

It sounds like somebody in the youth set-up made a huge mistake by allowing Adam Barton to leave.

Apparently Bolton are after him already, and I've heard nothing but good things about his performances so far.

Was reading up about him as he got called into the Northern Ireland squad today for our qualifier against Italy (Dads from here apparently)

Barton started of in the youth ranks at hometown club Blackburn Rovers before being released at the age of sixteen due to a serious back injury. Although originally seen as a gamble due to his injury, Preston North End gave Barton a youth scholarship which was awarded which eye catching performances at youth and reserve team level, these performances earned the midfielder a two-and-a-half-year contract in December 2008 with fellow youngster, Danny Mayor.

Guest bluerovers

To be fair we released him for a fair reason (serious back injury). Hopefully if he comes good he'll want to come home to play at Ewood (and we have the cash to buy him of course)

To be fair we released him for a fair reason (serious back injury). Hopefully if he comes good he'll want to come home to play at Ewood (and we have the cash to buy him of course)

I'd say that's being overly generous rather than fair.

How much would have cost to keep him on the books for another year or two and see how the injury healed? If Preston could afford to find out then we sure as hell could.

Someone has cost Rovers a lot of money by ditching him so quickly. I'm surprised you think he'll be eager to come back, we hardly showed any loyalty to him after the injury.

• Like 1

Guest bluerovers

Never said he'd be eager to come back, just that he may understand why he was released. We don't know the odds on his recovery, it could have been a million to one, all we know was that it was a serious back injury.

Also, talking about loyalty is silly. He was 16 and in the youth squad, not a long serving senior player. And no that doesn't mean you can treat them like cr*p but the amount of players that get dropped before they're 18 is huge, being realased at 16 isn't as cutting, I would suggest, as being from the senior squad.

I don't know how he feels, I'm just speculating that given time he may want to come back, Dunn did. Who knows?

Edited by bluerovers

Never said he'd be eager to come back, just that he may understand why he was released. We don't know the odds on his recovery, it could have been a million to one, all we know was that it was a serious back injury.

Also, talking about loyalty is silly. He was 16 and in the youth squad, not a long serving senior player. And no that doesn't mean you can treat them like cr*p but the amount of players that get dropped before they're 18 is huge, being realased at 16 isn't as cutting, I would suggest, as being from the senior squad.

I don't know how he feels, I'm just speculating that given time he may want to come back, Dunn did. Who knows?

You are averaging over 10 posts per day.

Make of that what you will.

I don't know much about this lad to be honest but I do know that this back injury is not a concern in the eyes of the PNE physio team now

I hope someone at Rovers is taken out back and shot if he ever makes it to the England squad.

Barton was released because of a serious back injury. I assume he was released after taking medical advice. It's a bit premature to blame anyone at Ewood without knowing the full facts.

You win some you lose some; I wonder what the Hertha Berlin boards are saying about Samba?

Looking to get rid of the people responsible, hopefully. It's one thing to miss talent whilst scouting, but to miss it when it's right under your nose every day is unforgivable.

Barton was released because of a serious back injury. I assume he was released after taking medical advice. It's a bit premature to blame anyone at Ewood without knowing the full facts.

If Preston could afford to take a gamble on him then we could. I'm making that sound more significant than it is as well...how much is a 16 year old paid?

I'm only guessing here, but surely someone must have underestimated his potential pre-injury. I can't imagine we'd cast him aside so easily if they had any idea he had the potential to be a £5 million player at 19.

I'm only guessing here, but surely someone must have underestimated his potential pre-injury. I can't imagine we'd cast him aside so easily if they had any idea he had the potential to be a £5 million player at 19.

We're both guessing LeChuck.

Seriously though, I would hope that when making a decision about a young mans serious back injury, the potential transfer value wouldn't come anywhere near to being a consideration.

Guest bluerovers

I get what you're saying Le Chuck, but when you say things like "we'd cast him aside so easily" it makes it sound as if we told him to leave cause he wasn't good looking enough or something, it was a serious back injury. Preston took the risk and it looks like it's paid off big time for them, but at that level don't clubs take more risks as they have less 'pulling power' for established talent?

I would suspect the percentage of youth players that a premier league club has to produce that are going to make it by 18 is higher than a League 1 team does (as they were in 2008).

Edited by bluerovers

Just to add more Barton news -

Preston to demand £5 million from Everton and Stoke.

Makes you sick really. Does anyone know if the person responsible for casting him aside is still at the club? I hope not.

Hindsight. It's a wonderful thing. It has 20/20 vision and is never wrong, and that's what you're using at the moment chuck.

Remember it's always easy to be critical AFTER the fact ;)

Hindsight. It's a wonderful thing. It has 20/20 vision and is never wrong, and that's what you're using at the moment chuck.

Remember it's always easy to be critical AFTER the fact ;)

Exactly, we must have one of the better records for letting young players go, there's very few would ever have made it in the Rovers first team. The only 1 I can think of is James Beattie and at the time he was sold he wasnt going to get in the team anyway. Mainly because over the years we havent brought as many good kids through as the investment in the academy has merited.

Exactly, we must have one of the better records for letting young players go, there's very few would ever have made it in the Rovers first team. The only 1 I can think of is James Beattie and at the time he was sold he wasnt going to get in the team anyway. Mainly because over the years we havent brought as many good kids through as the investment in the academy has merited.

Shay Given.

Lets not go overboard on this Barton kid. We have no idea where he is going to end up in a few years. If he makes it as a decent premiership player then fine, but lets not start crying that we let one through the net.

Shay Given.

Lets not go overboard on this Barton kid. We have no idea where he is going to end up in a few years. If he makes it as a decent premiership player then fine, but lets not start crying that we let one through the net.

Shay Given was a yts kid at Celtic that Dalglish brought to Ewood (and bought him again at Newcastle) he didnt come through our youth system.