BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

36 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Out of curiosity, I wonder which managers are on the books of HSH?

(I realise this is a cue for Mashed Potatoes to get his fishing rod out and chirp up with the name Phil Brown)

That Rev is the key question. Anyone decent and TM has to pack his bags. 

If they don't- and the last 3 incumbents don't make me confident that they do - then we are royally stuffed.

1 hour ago, Butty said:

I think Gareth Ainsworth or Barnsley’s gaffer Struber would be my two choices if Mowbray was to go but like I’ve said, there’s not a chance Tony leaves anytime soon so it’s a pointless discussion!

Doesn't Ainsworth have a reputation for playing turgid football?

I think he's done an unbelievable job at Wycombe but I like the way we are trying to pass about and play in a way which is more in time with modern football. The youth are much better at it than our senior players...

I'd always take a manager who has a proven track record of success regardless of the football on offer but I'd much prefer it if we could find an identity of attacking play but that is just a supporters dream I guess.

22 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Doesn't Ainsworth have a reputation for playing turgid football?

I think he's done an unbelievable job at Wycombe but I like the way we are trying to pass about and play in a way which is more in time with modern football. The youth are much better at it than our senior players...

I'd always take a manager who has a proven track record of success regardless of the football on offer but I'd much prefer it if we could find an identity of attacking play but that is just a supporters dream I guess.

Effective football.

That's all I want to see from Rovers teams, effective football that gets results, not passing it sideways and backwards for 20 minutes without creating anything.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

Effective football.

That's all I want to see from Rovers teams, effective football that gets results, not passing it sideways and backwards for 20 minutes without creating anything.

I find watching the best players in the world playing the possession based game at 'City ultimately bloodless and pretty unexciting although you can't fault the results. It does leave me wondering how good they'd be let off the leash and playing a more conventional and direct style of football ?

However the sight of the second rate journeymen we have at the moment playing that way sends me to sleep. Just look where a team of first rate journeymen are not far from here. They seem to be doing ok coming second in terms of possession in most games.

• Like 1

Our possession stats have been significantly improved post lockdown consistently.

The results will surely bear out superioe results? 10 points in 9 games since suggests maybe not. 3 wins, 1 draw, 5 losses.

It has literally been possession for the sake of it, with very confusing tactics clearly dreamt up by Mowbray during the few months off. "False 9s" "Inside forwards" "Box Midfield." 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Our possession stats have been significantly improved post lockdown consistently.

The results will surely bear out superioe results? 10 points in 9 games since suggests maybe not. 3 wins, 1 draw, 5 losses.

It has literally been possession for the sake of it, with very confusing tactics clearly dreamt up by Mowbray during the few months off. "False 9s" "Inside forwards" "Box Midfield." 

Teams in this division let you have possession all day if you do little with it in their 3rd. It's literally how they set up. I have spent a lot of money on Ifollow since lockdown watching us do what you put very well "possession for the sake of it"

As for the false 9 shite, that only works if you have a player who is literally head and shoulders above everyone else on the field , we don't. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Teams in this division let you have possession all day if you do little with it in their 3rd. It's literally how they set up. I have spent a lot of money on Ifollow since lockdown watching us do what you put very well "possession for the sake of it"

As for the false 9 shite, that only works if you have a player who is literally head and shoulders above everyone else on the field , we don't. 

Yep, Spain were successful at it because they had a once in a generation set of midfielders in terms of their ability to pass and move and play in tight spaces, Iniesta, Xavi, Alonso, Busquets and Fabregas. They mastered the notion of wearing teams out and being so measured in how they played.

These tactics seemed to have been the results of Mowbrays thinking during a few months in which there were no games. To start chucking these tactics together with 9 games to go in such a situation was bizarre and never going to work.

His recruitment doesnt really consistently fit his attempts at changing the identity either. He spent 5m on a 6 foot odd striker who amidst all of this, he plays out wide seemingly to win flick ons v full backs. He also signed presumably on big wages a big oaf of a midfielder who at his peak was a physical presence who used to get into double figures of goals breaking through deep. In our tactics and at his age, we have a ponderous, slow thinking and unfit midfielder who almost without fail picks it up from the defence, slowly turns and is dispossessed in a dangerous area every time.

I dont mind him wanting to control games but with his muddled thinking, poor recruitment, inconsistencies and loyalties to certain players, it has all gone wrong.

Yep. That's one play off spot tied up. Houghton will do similar as he did at Brighton.

He won't spend all week talking about player values, kids, possession football or building clubs.

Best way to build a club is to get promoted.

Painful watching other clubs with less going for them than we do act decisively and ambitiously.

Middlesbrough will be next with Warnock.

I reckon next season will be wide open. Only Norwich of those coming down will be strong. Lose Fulham or Brentford and the others will struggle with reduced parachute cash.

Some quick smart decisions and it could be anyone's year.

• Like 1

Imagine if Warnock stayed at Middlesbrough, but then spent all summer telling their fans that they should be grateful for not following Hull into League One, that it is a slow build job and he is looking for small progress and improvement each year, that he would be happy with more points than this season.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would be a superb appointment and suspect they would surpass us now.

Screenshot_20200723-133732_Twitter.jpg

And when people on here suggested us getting Hughton, the usual doomsayers were out in force to tell us that he was unattainable and that no one but their dear leader could possibly do the job.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Yep, Spain were successful at it because they had a once in a generation set of midfielders in terms of their ability to pass and move and play in tight spaces, Iniesta, Xavi, Alonso, Busquets and Fabregas. They mastered the notion of wearing teams out and being so measured in how they played.

These tactics seemed to have been the results of Mowbrays thinking during a few months in which there were no games. To start chucking these tactics together with 9 games to go in such a situation was bizarre and never going to work.

His recruitment doesnt really consistently fit his attempts at changing the identity either. He spent 5m on a 6 foot odd striker who amidst all of this, he plays out wide seemingly to win flick ons v full backs. He also signed presumably on big wages a big oaf of a midfielder who at his peak was a physical presence who used to get into double figures of goals breaking through deep. In our tactics and at his age, we have a ponderous, slow thinking and unfit midfielder who almost without fail picks it up from the defence, slowly turns and is dispossessed in a dangerous area every time.

I dont mind him wanting to control games but with his muddled thinking, poor recruitment, inconsistencies and loyalties to certain players, it has all gone wrong.

Muddled Mowbray! 

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Agreed, but it's the modern touchy feely way of the world isn't it.

If I was a Birmingham fan gutted at his departure I'd be highly insulted by that. It's almost like the Board are celebrating the money received from his sale so they can have more bubbly at the shareholders meeting or something.

I once wrote a sarcastic article about a player getting a statue and an open top bus parade. Bleacher Report removed it for satire.

The first thought of many legit news sites must have been "has the BCFC Twitter account been hacked?".

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Would be a superb appointment and suspect they would surpass us now.

Superb? well over the top. very decent appointment

Very decent appointment but can he make it work at Bristol City. Will he be allow to bring his own staff in like Paul Trollope who is always on his staff? 

We will find out how good of a coach he is. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Yep. That's one play off spot tied up. Houghton will do similar as he did at Brighton.

He won't spend all week talking about player values, kids, possession football or building clubs.

Best way to build a club is to get promoted.

Painful watching other clubs with less going for them than we do act decisively and ambitiously.

Middlesbrough will be next with Warnock.

I reckon next season will be wide open. Only Norwich of those coming down will be strong. Lose Fulham or Brentford and the others will struggle with reduced parachute cash.

Some quick smart decisions and it could be anyone's year.

I no idea how we can start saying this team will be challenge or not at this stage. 

It will be interesting to see how Hughton does when he won't have loads to spend like his days at Brighton. 

I have no idea how if Watford and Bournemouth will fair this coming season. Is Howe staying at Bournemouth? who gets the job at Watford with that setup in place there. 

I will agree that it could be anyone's year will cutbacks at most clubs in this league