BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's why I keep repeating myself about bringing in a keeper, left back and centre back this window. Get the defence right and start keeping clean sheets. We will start winning games. 

If we did go 4-4-2 and move Armstrong up front would we need another winger in? 

Theres absolutely no chance whatsoever that we sign 4 players this window, especially enough to improve us. 

Armstrong might get a few, but he did in the first half of the season and we still are well down the goals for column even with Dack. They are on 15 between them, he wont score 15 more on his own.

The goals just arent there. Our strikers aside from the ageing Graham are the worst collection in the league, no doubt in Gallagher, Brereton and Samuel. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Theres absolutely no chance whatsoever that we sign 4 players this window, especially enough to improve us. 

Armstrong might get a few, but he did in the first half of the season and we still are well down the goals for column even with Dack. They are on 15 between them, he wont score 15 more on his own.

The goals just arent there. Our strikers aside from the ageing Graham are the worst collection in the league, no doubt in Gallagher, Brereton and Samuel. 

We deffo need that left and Keeper in. improve that defensive unit and we can make the playoffs. 

Like I said play Armstrong with Graham up front and I'm sure Armstrong would get another 10 goals this summer. 

At Championship level Armstrong has a career record of 1 goal per 7 games.

This season its 1 goal per every 4+ games

We have 20 games left this season and it's a huge ask to expect him to suddenly transform into a 1 in 2 game goal scorer, even if playing alongside the now aging Graham.

The only way to replace Dack's goals is to buy/loan a proven goal scorer in this window. We have no one on our books who can do it.

I have to say that Armstrong is looking a quite decent player for us.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

At Championship level Armstrong has a career record of 1 goal per 7 games.

This season its 1 goal per every 4+ games

We have 20 games left this season and it's a huge ask to expect him to suddenly transform into a 1 in 2 game goal scorer, even if playing alongside the now aging Graham.

The only way to replace Dack's goals is to buy/loan a proven goal scorer in this window. We have no one on our books who can do it.

I have to say that Armstrong is looking a quite decent player for us.

Even if Armstrong does step up - which I agree is a very tall ask and unlikely - whose going to replace his goals as the second scorer? Not as big a challenge as replacing Dack's goals but given Armstrong has double what anyone else has there still has to be a step up into the second top scorer's role and that's still a big ask for our team. Armstrong has 7 goals (I think) and can't see any of our players getting 7 goals in half a season. I can't even think of a couple who will likely get 5 in a half season to alleviate this problem. (maybe Graham if he plays more but his best link up is with Dack...) 

Goals are a problem whatever way you look at it. 

Incidentally part of the reason Armstrong is looking a decent player is the fee we paid for him. His performances for a 2-3 mill player are decent / good. Had we spent 5 or 7 million on him it would be a different story. As it is, this is beginning to look like a good move from TM. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Even if Armstrong does step up - which I agree is a very tall ask and unlikely - whose going to replace his goals as the second scorer? Not as big a challenge as replacing Dack's goals but given Armstrong has double what anyone else has there still has to be a step up into the second top scorer's role and that's still a big ask for our team. Armstrong has 7 goals (I think) and can't see any of our players getting 7 goals in half a season. I can't even think of a couple who will likely get 5 in a half season to alleviate this problem. (maybe Graham if he plays more but his best link up is with Dack...) 

Goals are a problem whatever way you look at it. 

Incidentally part of the reason Armstrong is looking a decent player is the fee we paid for him. His performances for a 2-3 mill player are decent / good. Had we spent 5 or 7 million on him it would be a different story. As it is, this is beginning to look like a good move from TM. 

I was following on from the suggestion of playing Armstrong with Graham which might produce up to 15 goals between them.

We have no one else that I would rely on as a regular scorer. We all know our weaknesses in defence but up front it's just as startling and we are not good enough to win many games 1- 0.

You are right about perception. 

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

2 from open play in the last 4 without Dack would suggest to me that we can't score enough to get near the play-offs. Hope I'm wrong though. 

Had a think about this one... We've got 20 games to go. We probably need to score an average of 2 goals per game to be in with a fighting chance as our defence is so shite. So 40 goals.

Looking at things very generously - I reckon we will get about 7 more from Armstrong. Maybe 5 from various defenders chipping in. Maybe 9 from various midfielders. That gets us to 21. Graham I think maybe 5 more. Gallagher maybe 3. A big zero from Brereton. Gets us to 29.

We're around 11 goals short. Looking around the squad there just isn't the capability there to make it up. We have to sign someone who can bring those goals. If we can't Gallagher, or someone totally left field like Holtby, is going to need to turn into a goal machine.

• Like 1

mowbrays tactics are anything but conducive to scoring goals,it would`nt matter if we had mo salah up front,if you don`t give them the opportunities the goal tally will be low,we are all set up to stop the opposition,baffling to me as we can`t defend either!!!!!it`s why mowbray drives me mad,there is oodles of pace in our side yet we never play with any width to exploit it,nyambe combining with another wide player on the overlap could be a real weapon,same on the left,it`s never used because tony is terrified of attacking,he`s never got the mantra,the best form of defence is attack

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I was following on from the suggestion of playing Armstrong with Graham which might produce up to 15 goals between them.

We have no one else that I would rely on as a regular scorer. We all know our weaknesses in defence but up front it's just as startling and we are not good enough to win many games 1- 0.

You are right about perception. 

Sell gally and bb and buy hugill....I think you might get 4m(this might be optimistic) for them combined and probably buy hugill for just a bit more and there is a good young goalscorer who would fit in here, and he's from the north east i think so tony will be like " why aye, man" with him...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Sell gally and bb and buy hugill....I think you might get 4m(this might be optimistic) for them combined and probably buy hugill for just a bit more and there is a good young goalscorer who would fit in here, and he's from the north east i think so tony will be like " why aye, man" with him...

Very optimistic. I am not even convinced that we could shift them if we didnt ask for a free, as Gallagher will be right up there with our highest earners, not befitting for the striker with the worst strike rate in the League. And Brereton might not be on as much but he wont be on peanuts and the sides who would want him wouldnt be able to match it. They were bought as profitable assets but are actually liabilities.

• Like 2

Might be able to get a couple million and change for Gallagher. Some clubs could be convinced he's just been a bad fit at Rovers.

Brereton? Dread to think. He'll bounce in and out on loan for a couple seasons then leave for peanuts.

1 hour ago, Amo said:

Might be able to get a couple million and change for Gallagher. Some clubs could be convinced he's just been a bad fit at Rovers.

Brereton? Dread to think. He'll bounce in and out on loan for a couple seasons then leave for peanuts.

But he will be on substantial wages. He obviously would have to go to a worse team but smaller teams would not be able to afford his wages. If there was any chance of being able to get any money for him wed be foolish not too.

13 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Had a think about this one... We've got 20 games to go. We probably need to score an average of 2 goals per game to be in with a fighting chance as our defence is so shite. So 40 goals.

Looking at things very generously - I reckon we will get about 7 more from Armstrong. Maybe 5 from various defenders chipping in. Maybe 9 from various midfielders. That gets us to 21. Graham I think maybe 5 more. Gallagher maybe 3. A big zero from Brereton. Gets us to 29.

We're around 11 goals short. Looking around the squad there just isn't the capability there to make it up. We have to sign someone who can bring those goals. If we can't Gallagher, or someone totally left field like Holtby, is going to need to turn into a goal machine.

Good post, although I think you are being a bit generous with some here, but I wouldn't blame you-I would be inclined to do the same.

Ultimately it falls to Gallagher and Brereton to get the goals and therein lies our problem. It will take a real stroke of luck/astuteness to sign someone on loan who will deliver what we need and I wouldn't be putting my eggs in the astuteness basket! 

Parallel universe Dack gets injured and we have £12 million to spend now. I think we can all agree we would be thinking that could be doable. As thing stands we don't have £12 million to spend, so I just don't know where the goals will come from. 

12 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Agreed but with the length of time remaining on their contracts neither will be in any rush to move for less wages.

Not that I would fault the player on that score!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Husky said:

I'm on Raya watch. Brentford v QPR.

It seems he's having a lot more luck than he did at Rovers. His mistakes aren't leading to too many goals.

Trying to do a Cruyff turn in his own goal area you mean ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Trying to do a Cruyff turn in his own goal area you mean ????

Yeah, lol. If he was at Rovers the attacker would have just kicked the ball in the empty net and Raya would have had his head in his hands, 1-0 down.

As it is Brentford have taken over the game since then.

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fancy Brentford to win the league now. Leeds slipping up badly and West Brom only drawing. 

Huddersfield poor result at Barnsley. Chaplin is a good player. Wish we had him. 

But division is a very good watch for fans. Plus no VAR!

If that shit today is 2 top half teams going at it then it doesnt show the league in the best light!

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fancy Brentford to win the league now. Leeds slipping up badly and West Brom only drawing. 

Huddersfield poor result at Barnsley. Chaplin is a good player. Wish we had him. 

Just imagine if Raya ends up in the team that wins the Championship and ends up playing in the PL!

Now that would show up our goalkeeping department.

11 hours ago, LDRover said:

How to spend 5 million in the Championship, Mbeumo or Gallagher? One now worth 10 million plus and the other about 10% of the original buying price.

Oh for competent staff and a scouting network worthy of the name.

I can’t forgive the fact we had Gallagher on loan and still decided “yup he's the one for us”. 

Such a lazy transfer strategy. I guess it was Gallagher’s “character” that swung it for ToMo and not that thing called talent.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Huddersfield have been having poor results everywhere recently, except when we turned up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Just imagine if Raya ends up in the team that wins the Championship and ends up playing in the PL!

Now that would show up our goalkeeping department.

Well Raya is still making the same mistakes he was here. 

Wouldnt show anything up at all but understand why you have that opinion. 

It would how good their recruiting of players is. They have bought some good ones from overseas.