BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rangers fan here

Huge difference when the subs were made (apart from Smallwood again not passing forwards).

Energy level zoomed up and we rattled the Gers at the back and in midfield.

1-1 very fair result.

Hart had a nice little cameo. Travis showed he is the key guy in central midfield, Rothwell showed he has to be picked. Apart from completely losing Defoe for their goal, Lenihan looked class. I wonder just wonder if Nyambe will be tried centrally- he looked a natural there for his 15 minutes.

Cannot fault Bennett in any way- energy, positioning and good distribution.

Thought Johnson and Downing both a bit off the pace when on the pitch. Arma still frustrating when through in dangerous positions. Dack showed hunger in the time he was on.

Leutwiler showed he is capable both of sharp saves and dominating his box which is a big bonus.

Gerrard threw on Docherty and Merilos showing he wanted it. Apparently Travis' goal was the first Rangers have conceded in Europa, League Cup and Friendly action.

Edited by philipl

Well that was a much better second half.

No surprise to those who watch them a lot that Rothwell and Travis make a huge difference - especially when Dack is out of sorts.

Brereton did well when he came on, not really playing up front but out wide on the left. Some good movement and got the run of the ball a little today. Did well for the goal: good run, fortunate to get the ball back, poor shot but which the Rangers keeper didn’t deal with and who conspired to pass the ball directly to Travis with an open net. Hard to see where a goal was coming from up to (and after) that moment.

Sam Hart looked tidy and left back and has potentially given the manager something to think about especially with Bell not at it.

Smallwood was largely anonymous for his cameo but when he did pass the ball it was in his typical style. Definitely needs to be moved on at this stage. A little astonishing that he still seems to feature in the manager’s plans at all.

Armstrong looked quick and made a couple of good crosses. One that could have resulted in a goal but for a last ditch interception by the Gers defender. Second half we seemed to play with two wide men and no striker - with no Dack on the pitch. A really bizarre set up and one which looks like being Mowbray latest over-thought brainwave. Gallagher needs to change his mind because Brereton certainly isn’t that player.

Overall a game of two halves. We are extremely profligate with the ball, indecisive and make too many mistakes - regularly handing the ball back to the opposition. This needs to be cut out or we are going to struggle. Rangers made changes and looked weaker while we made changes and looked stronger. We won’t be able to make 7 subs in the league so it’s vital that Mowbray gets his starting line up right more often.

A good workout, that we very nearly lost but for the linesman’s flag, and I’m delighted for the Rovers fans who travelled but it must be said, we still need a commanding keeper, a dominant centre back and a decent third kit before the season starts.

• Like 4

Key learning points: we have to start Rothwell and Travis when the real action begins. 

Johnson did much better alongside Travis, but Downing was pretty poor throughout I thought. Left back is a big problem, Bell still looks woeful. He gives the ball away every time he gets it. 

It was the same formation as most of last season, with most of the same personnel. Not sure anyone was whinging or getting upset, just commenting on the game they were watching.

First half was shocking. Second half was better, especially after the subs. If Travis and Rothwell are the core of the team, along with Dack, we'll do ok.

GK, CB x 2 and, if we have the time and resources, a LB still required before the window ends.

Better 2nd half for sure. Quicker, more urgency all round.

the defence still worries me though. Whenever we lose possession we are caught out of position and opposition strikers have big spaces to exploit. Why can’t Mowbray sort this out, just like Howard Kendall sorted it out. There’s a good comparison there.

• Like 1

Just now, den said:

Better 2nd half for sure. Quicker, more urgency all round.

the defence still worries me though. Whenever we lose possession we are caught out of position and opposition strikers have big spaces to exploit. Why can’t Mowbray sort this out, just like Howard Kendall sorted it out. There’s a good comparison there.

Don't think Mowbray is capable of sorting it out which is puzzling considering he was a centre half

Leutweiler is shocking, made a few camera saves but flaps at everything and very lucky Morelos was offside.

Defence is not anywhere near good enough, we all know as does Mowbray from what he has said.

New signings looked pretty poor, Johnson gave away so many passes and Downing looked so lethargic, hopefully fitness rather than age.

Rothwell a breath of fresh air, no loose passes, always desperate to make things happen, one twos, trying to get through. Travis also so much better than Evans, and Buckley looked tidy too.

Just now, mustard said:

An opinion shared by many, myself included.  Maybe you're a touch bias since Evans represents NI and actually manages to turn up for them on occasion, but what have you seen him offer to the team that someone like Travis couldn't better every day of the week?  For Rovers he has been uninspiring at best, shocking at worst.  I know stats aren't everything to go off but a quick look at a site such as whoscored.com shows that he offers almost nothing to the side.  Average rating consistently under 6.8.  Pass completion 77% last season which is pretty pish for a CM who only passes sideways.  Averaged about one goal a season over the years and assisted similar, for a midfielder he contributes almost nothing to attacking play.  Defensively, he's brilliant at backing off and pointing here and there though, but again his numbers for tackles/interceptions are subpar.

Evans is one of the last remaining legacies of the turgid, backing-off inviting-pressure football played by Bowyer.  It's no surprise we've yet to bring down our goals against column in years when we play one of the worst defensive midfielders in the league every week.

I’m northern Irish as well but I can’t argue with the above. Time for Evans to move on, we’ve got good cover in cm and he’s just taking up a space that could be given to one of our young prospects. He’s had long enough to show that he’s not up to the task of being s championship centre mid. 

• Like 3

Just now, mustard said:

An opinion shared by many, myself included.  Maybe you're a touch bias since Evans represents NI and actually manages to turn up for them on occasion, but what have you seen him offer to the team that someone like Travis couldn't better every day of the week?  For Rovers he has been uninspiring at best, shocking at worst.  I know stats aren't everything to go off but a quick look at a site such as whoscored.com shows that he offers almost nothing to the side.  Average rating consistently under 6.8.  Pass completion 77% last season which is pretty pish for a CM who only passes sideways.  Averaged about one goal a season over the years and assisted similar, for a midfielder he contributes almost nothing to attacking play.  Defensively, he's brilliant at backing off and pointing here and there though, but again his numbers for tackles/interceptions are subpar.

Evans is one of the last remaining legacies of the turgid, backing-off inviting-pressure football played by Bowyer.  It's no surprise we've yet to bring down our goals against column in years when we play one of the worst defensive midfielders in the league every week.

Well that's that then. How can I possibly hold a different opinion to you now after a detailed analysis provided by whoscored. Com. 

Edited by Roverinbelfast

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Leutweiler is shocking, made a few camera saves but flaps at everything and very lucky Morelos was offside.

Defence is not anywhere near good enough, we all know as does Mowbray from what he has said.

New signings looked pretty poor, Johnson gave away so many passes and Downing looked so lethargic, hopefully fitness rather than age.

Rothwell a breath of fresh air, no loose passes, always desperate to make things happen, one twos, trying to get through. Travis also so much better than Evans, and Buckley looked tidy too.

He was very lucky indeed. Although it was a good first time finish, his positioning was completely off.

He flaps a lot at thin air and is a keeper who prefers to punch than catch. His only advantage on Raya is his height.

Just now, Roverinbelfast said:

Well that's that then. How can I possibly hold a different opinion to you now after a detailed analysis provided buy whoscored. Com. 

Not to be pedantic, but the analysis was actually provided by me, with the data from whoscored.

As you are someone in the minority who think Evans is a decent Championship player, I'm genuinely intrigued as to what you see in him so was hoping for a more substantive answer but well backed down nonetheless.

Well that's that then. How can I possibly hold a different opinion to you now after a detailed analysis provided by whoscored. Com. 

Are you related to him? Is that you, Jonny? Or just a compatriot?

Just now, Stuart said:

Well that was a much better second half.

No surprise to those who watch them a lot that Rothwell and Travis make a huge difference - especially when Dack is out of sorts.

Brereton did well when he came on, not really playing up front but out wide on the left. Some good movement and got the run of the ball a little today. Did well for the goal: good run, fortunate to get the ball back, poor shot but which the Rangers keeper didn’t deal with and who conspired to pass the ball directly to Travis with an open net. Hard to see where a goal was coming from up to (and after) that moment.

Sam Hart looked tidy and left back and has potentially given the manager something to think about especially with Bell not at it.

Smallwood was largely anonymous for his cameo but when he did pass the ball it was in his typical style. Definitely needs to be moved on at this stage. A little astonishing that he still seems to feature in the manager’s plans at all.

Armstrong looked quick and made a couple of good crosses. One that could have resulted in a goal but for a last ditch interception by the Gers defender. Second half we seemed to play with two wide men and no striker - with no Dack on the pitch. A really bizarre set up and one which looks like being Mowbray latest over-thought brainwave. Gallagher needs to change his mind because Brereton certainly isn’t that player.

Overall a game of two halves. We are extremely profligate with the ball, indecisive and make too many mistakes - regularly handing the ball back to the opposition. This needs to be cut out or we are going to struggle. Rangers made changes and looked weaker while we made changes and looked stronger. We won’t be able to make 7 subs in the league so it’s vital that Mowbray gets his starting line up right more often.

A good workout, that we very nearly lost but for the linesman’s flag, and I’m delighted for the Rovers fans who travelled but it must be said, we still need a commanding keeper, a dominant centre back and a decent third kit before the season starts.

The game changed when we brought on our best midfielders - it's clear as day who 9 of our 11 best starters are (until people are signed). Mowbray always takes 70 minutes to get them on the field together though. 

• Like 3

Just now, Stuart said:

He was very lucky indeed. Although it was a good first time finish, his positioning was completely off.

He flaps a lot at thin air and is a keeper who prefers to punch than catch. His only advantage on Raya is his height.

..and Raya sold. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Nobody is willing to pay £3m+ for Leutweiler - he was brought in as a warm body at GK.

He should be nothing more than our third keeper - if he's anywhere near the first team next year then the season is a write off, regardless of who we bring in elsewhere.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Are you related to him? Is that you, Jonny? Or just a compatriot?

Listen look back over the messages and tell me what have I said that's wrong. I pulled someone for saying they weren't gonna watch the game because Corey Evans was starting. 

Since then I have been accused of being his brother, being biased because I'm Northern Irish (which I'm not) etc etc. 

I personally think it was petty behavior. 

Now enjoy your Sunday and stop melting my head 

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Nobody is willing to pay £3m+ for Leutweiler - he was brought in as a warm body at GK.

He should be nothing more than our third keeper - if he's anywhere near the first team next year then the season is a write off, regardless of who we bring in elsewhere.

Jayson looked liked a third keeper. Good keepers judge and see things this lad dives after every ball no where near him and looks for the saves going wide.

His parrying goes in the goal mouth and of Morelos would have started would have gobbled it up. Needs bombing out

Listen look back over the messages and tell me what have I said that's wrong. I pulled someone for saying they weren't gonna watch the game because Corey Evans was starting. 

Since then I have been accused of being his brother, being biased because I'm Northern Irish (which I'm not) etc etc. 

To be fair you said ‘that’s your opinion’ when people were slagging him off, so folk probably thought you had a different view on Evans’ qualities to share...

• Like 1

Reporting live outside Queens st match finished1-1 deserved draw in the end . Observations Lenihan and Mulgrew cannot play together, Bennett is not a right back and Bell is low on confidence. Midfield needs Travis alongside Johnson. Graham looks unfit to me. Positives were the subs esp Buckley he is good enough NOW so play him or lose him. Sad but true why do morons who don stone island gear turn into utter cretins? We do not need such dicks following us away 

• Like 5

You're the one with the smarmy retorts to those who showed a differing opinion to yourself.  I tried to back up mine, you chose not to do so with yours.  I'd argue your replies seemed pettiest but meh.  Enjoy your Sunday.