BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher Returns

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chapman, Samuel, Hart, Williams all backing Graham's post. 

That doesn't mean he is right though.

The fact Graham has even commented tells me he knows Gallagher is under pressure, as he can see his contribution isnt up to scratch. In fact, all he has done is highlight this even more.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

do find a few of these replies a tad disrespectful to Danny Graham, I found the article a little surprising in that I felt gallagher had a good game last night, so why not question the team, forward line or mowbray rather than singling out one player. Graham sticking up for a teammate is fair enough but it never ends well with a twitter spat. Ask Charlie Austin. Better keeping it in-house imo. But let’s draw a line under it and move on before we alienate a loyal and good servant to the club

Gallagher was awful last night in the first half, and only slightly better in the second. The biggest gripe on this message board is why, on the back of two decent performances, we dropped Samuel to put Gallagher back on the wing.

In fairness to Sharpe, he probably knows this and felt it was worth writing a fairly balanced article on it. 

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

Gallagher was awful last night in the first half, and only slightly better in the second. The biggest gripe on this message board is why, on the back of two decent performances, we dropped Samuel to put Gallagher back on the wing.

In fairness to Sharpe, he probably knows this and felt it was worth writing a fairly balanced article on it. 

Honestly thought he was decent and more threatening than Armstrong, made fair few chances for others 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chapman, Samuel, Hart, Williams all backing Graham's post. 

So what? Is this supposed to show what a tight unit we are? How come we weren't good enough to bet a relegation-threatened team then?

Or couldn't even score? At home!!

On 18/12/2019 at 18:16, ben_the_beast said:

In Gallagher i trust him to lead the line. The goals haven't come yet but he offers enough in his all round game to merit his place. I think in time he will show himself to be a quality addition with a 10 to 20 mil resale value 

Well, you're being very optimistic there. But, one thing we might agree on, none of it will happen if he continues on the wing.

• Backroom

I tend to take a dim view on attempts to silence balanced criticism, which Sharpe's was. IMV it's emblematic of a fragile and entitled mindset. Mowbray has taken a similar stance when he suggested a couple of months ago that he shouldn't be questioned over his decisions. If you can't take constructive criticism and look to gain from it then you'll never get anywhere, and maybe that's part of the reason we bottle it every time we get near the playoffs.

• Like 7

Time and time again I said Armstrong is a good player but needs to be played up top. Armstrong has had a lot of grief over the last 18 months but now in his natural position is showing his worth.

sam Gallagher is a good striker and it’s the same story.

blame Tony for his failings 

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with what Sharpe wrote in fact I agreed with pretty much all of it. I knew we were a mentally weak team but I didn't realise we were this feeble. As for Graham saying Gallagher always put's in 110%, well surely that is to be expected of every player, is he insinuating that other's in the squad don't give it their all? 

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tom said:

Rich has been quiet since, wonder if the paper told him to go low for a while 

It was a bit bizarre for the Ministry of Truth to suddenly produce an actual criticism of the manager and one of his signings. Rich has probably been sent for re-education. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Nothing wrong with what Sharpe wrote in fact I agreed with pretty much all of it. I knew we were a mentally weak team but I didn't realise we were this feeble. As for Graham saying Gallagher always put's in 110%, well surely that is to be expected of every player, is he insinuating that other's in the squad don't give it their all? 

Some of those responses from fans to that article are bizarre particularly Reg of the Rovers or whatever he's called. He actually wants the paper to be a propaganda sheet and is angry that there is criticism  of the Rovers in it! Some of those guys actually think the LT should get behind the lads FFS!

Anyone who has any scepticism is instantly labelled a Dingle!

Scary really. Would they expect papers to deny there was a Coronavirus crisis so it would go away?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Some of those responses from fans to that article are bizarre particularly Reg of the Rovers or whatever he's called.

Some of the replies to Graham's Instagram post are scary too - I've seen Gallagher called, among other things, 'amazing', 'a legend' and 'unreal' ?.

Thankfully a decent number of other commenters, those that have actually read the article, have their head screwed on.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The right question is what did Danny Graham not like about his article.

Did you agree with Rich Sharpe printing the article in the first place? And did you agree with the opinions, criticisms and questions raised in the article?

I felt the question was very balanced and fair and Mowbray has been given a very easy ride over the signing to be honest.

I honestly can't understand criticising a journalist for writing a balanced article querying the use of a big-money striker on the wing all season (especially considering the lack of goals). It's not as if there aren't any fans wondering exactly the same thing.

Whether you think Gallagher has been decent or not, whether or not you'd prefer Armstrong or anyone else up front, there is obviously a debate to be had. Personally, I think his excellent work-rate and the 'nearly' way he looks like doing something hides the fact that nothing ever actually comes from it. We don't get nearly enough crosses from him and we don't get him heading other people's crosses in. We get just enough to not lump him in with Brereton as a complete failure (which isn't fair on either as they're obviously not getting game time in their preferred position).

THIS IS IN NO WAY HIS FAULT!!! HE IS A STRIKER NOT A WINGER!!!

Seriously, I'm going to repeat myself as it's so obvious: What is wrong with a journalist questioning the continued use of your 'star' striker on the wing when most would agree he'd be better up top?!

Edited by Riverside under the drip
  • Like 4

Another textbook case study of the crackpot world of social media. All nuance has gone.

You either get folk saying:

‘he’s fucking shit’ ‘hope he dies’

or:

’I stand with Sam’, ‘disgraceful SO CALLED journalism’ #cancelsharpe

A majority of either side won’t even have read it, just seen a headline and an intervention from DG.

Really is the curse of our times (but I bet the LT click rate has gone through the roof and they’re delighted*, and isn’t that what all media is now all about?).

*Until Sharpe’s banned from the club, of course!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

strange timing to write the article to be honest by him. 

Seems like good timing, we scored a few in his absence then he comes back into the team and we looked devoid of creativity. Seems fair to ask if we are getting the best from him 

• Like 7

Just now, Mattyblue said:

He can write what he likes, when he likes. His job isn’t to be a club cheerleader.

I dont even think the article was at all critical. Asked the genuine question of what the plan is with a player who cost big money, has been almost exclusively ineffective, often playing a position that doesnt suit him.

If a player is playing poorly, it is a journalists job to point that out, just as they would praise a player playing well. To be honest, it was more of a general column about his use rather than a personal assasination. You hit the nail on the head with the post before this one.

• Like 1