BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bury, anyone going?

Easy game for Rovers so far. Not been tested. All the possession. Buckley and Rothwell standouts. Brereton has been making some good runs and looks lively. Gallagher looks ok out wide. Johnson is a unit, big Lad, running the midfield. Buckley is a big talent, smallest and lightest player on the pitch but just seems to have time on the ball, always wanting it, like a magnet. 

Half time. Hart looks like a hamstring pull rather than anything more serious. He was up quickly and didn't look too bad. 

Really enjoyable half, no poor performers. Gallagher looks quick over the turf and Johnson is solidly controlling things. JRC looks much better going forward than defending where he was done a couple of times early on. Grayson showing lovely long distribution with his left foot. 

Rothwell is his usual dangerous self but special mention must go to Buckley who is absolutely bossing the game. He is a joy to watch. He has the identical look and body shape of the young, pre 'El -Beatle' George Best and plays exactly the same as Simon Barker in his early days. I have to say I much prefer watching this young side to the stalwarts. 

• Like 8

Just now, Stuart said:

That makes no sense.

About time he started pulling his weight. Even new lad Sam knows what's expected of a striker in this team.

Always hiding in the middle is that Danny.

Edited by CD_93
  • Like 3

Just now, CD_93 said:

About time he started pulling his weight. Even new lad Sam knows what's expected of a striker in this team.

Always hiding in the middle is that Danny.

He must be scoring too many goals from there and needs a new challenge.

Or Mowbray is losing the plot.

• Like 1

I agree with what has been said about Buckley - he looks a natural. I honestly can't see any point loaning him out when he can do a job for us.

Rothwell was good in the first half but frustrating in the second but him getting a lot more game time than most could be an indication that he is going to be key for us this season.

One or two still look a little off the pace to me yet with games running out. I'd have liked to see us tested more against better sides.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Where would Buckley fit in a team that probably boasts Dack and Rothwell as among its best players in a similar position?

Perhaps as a narrow rotating trio behind the striker, but ahead of midfield, that doesn't hug the touchline?

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

Where would Buckley fit in a team that probably boasts Dack and Rothwell as among its best players in a similar position?

Perhaps as a narrow rotating trio behind the striker, but ahead of midfield, that doesn't hug the touchline?

Tonight he played predominantly on the right but he works across the pitch really well. He has something about him, plays on the half turn and excels in tight situations. He should absolutely be an integral part of the squad.

Just now, Mike E said:

It's a good question Mike. I think Buckley will probably play a little deeper than Dack and Rothwell in time but for now it would be a little risky I think to give him a holding midfield role. His lack of physicality and experience might catch him out there. He played high up today (went off at half time) and had more margin for error which suits him at this age. I don't see him as a starter at the moment but I definitely wouldn't be loaning him out either. He is such an intelligent player and holds the ball so well. His probing passes are excellent.

Good run out and confidence builder i wouldn't read anything into who started or played where or who wasn't there. As poor a level of opposition you're likely to find at the min so it allows that kind of thing.

10 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

It's a good question Mike. I think Buckley will probably play a little deeper than Dack and Rothwell in time but for now it would be a little risky I think to give him a holding midfield role. His lack of physicality and experience might catch him out there. He played high up today (went off at half time) and had more margin for error which suits him at this age. I don't see him as a starter at the moment but I definitely wouldn't be loaning him out either. He is such an intelligent player and holds the ball so well. His probing passes are excellent.

Sounds a bit like David Thompson - he was a busy little bugger, class too.

• Like 1

Graham played out on the left in the same way Brereton and Gallagher played on the wings. To his word TM didn’t play anyone “down the middle”. Just three forwards that interchanged throughout. 

It worked when we had the pace and tenacity of Buckley pressing high, but as soon as Downing, Mulgrew and Bell took “control” of things second half, the whole tempo downgraded. Yes a younger side is a riskier side, but that second half (bar a great run from Arma at the death) was a sight for sore eyes. We created bot all.

12 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Graham played out on the left in the same way Brereton and Gallagher played on the wings. To his word TM didn’t play anyone “down the middle”. Just three forwards that interchanged throughout. 

It worked when we had the pace and tenacity of Buckley pressing high, but as soon as Downing, Mulgrew and Bell took “control” of things second half, the whole tempo downgraded. Yes a younger side is a riskier side, but that second half (bar a great run from Arma at the death) was a sight for sore eyes. We created bot all.

I don't think you mean to say what you have. If it was a sight for sore eyes, what you saw in the second half was pleasing. Sorry for being pedantic!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

To be fair if they want to take control of things once the more, urhm, dynamic lads have got us a few goals to the good that’ll do me.

But we know that’s not how it’s going to go.

Nice win, the first half was good, the second half was certainly much harder to watch.  

The first half team was young and mobile and Bury barely had the ball in our half, although we weren't amazing.  Johnson played well and controlled the game well with Buckley.  The formations were not super obvious but I thought it was more of a 4-2-3-1 (Johnson and Smallwood in the middle Buckley ahead of them, Brereton central mostly Gally right) first half and more of a 4-3-3 (Graham more left than Brereton had been and Dack deeper centrally) second half though I think these are flexible.

JRC was good going forward, less so at the back.

All three goals were good, Rothwell a cracker from the edge of the D, a lovely move with a lovely cross from JRC for Brereton to head in and great through ball from Dack for Armstrong to finish for the third.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

I don't think you mean to say what you have. If it was a sight for sore eyes, what you saw in the second half was pleasing. Sorry for being pedantic!

It’s unrealistic to think that we played well second half. We created nothing really and just played the ball around at a mentally slow tempo through Downing at CM. Against any kind of decent opposition we’d have been scrambling second half. 

Just pointing out Buckley is the game changer, when he’s off, the press isn’t as high or as drastic, the play is slower and the creativity just slowly dries up. Luckily Armstrong made a great signature run at the death, but second half we barely got out of 1st gear.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

It’s unrealistic to think that we played well second half. We created nothing really and just played the ball around at a mentally slow tempo through Downing at CM. Against any kind of decent opposition we’d have been scrambling second half. 

Just pointing out Buckley is the game changer, when he’s off, the press isn’t as high or as drastic, the play is slower and the creativity just slowly dries up. Luckily Armstrong made a great signature run at the death, but second half we barely got out of 1st gear.

I appreciate the extra details about the match, but you've completely missed the point of my post. No bother though.

• Like 2