BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

I'm sure mowbary will play him at rightback

He has actually played rightback for the U18 before moved forward ?

I think his style is similar to Iniesta in the way he passes and goes past People. Similar slight build as well

Edited by briansol
  • Like 1

Just now, briansol said:

I think his style is similar to Iniesta in the way he passes and goes past People. Similar slight build as well

I said he had a similar style to Inietsa last night too, the type of player we’re missing in this country. 

I'm going to put my tin hat on here, as I seem to be a lone voice of dissent. I do think he should go on loan, to League One, for 6 months (though I'd actually send him on a season loan, with the intent of recalling him in Jan, as I think the receiving club would be more likely to play him if they thought they'd get him all season).

Why? Despite all the rave reviews, I'm not sure I trust he will get enough game time here. We saw with another great talent in Travis how long it can take for a young lad here to get a break. And now he has Travis in his main position too, as well as Johnson. Smallwood is possibly getting marginalised now, but maybe not - however I can't see Evans being any lower than third choice. There are other more experienced heads who can play there too, and may get wedged there if the main 3/4 are out, due to possibly not fitting elsewhere in the team anymore. There is a lot of competition on the flanks too.

I think failing to get a lot of game time could really stagnate his development and hurt his confidence. As we have seen with Nuttall before, it would likely mean he didn't play for the u-23s if he was in the squad. Nuttall went backwards for a while due to too few match minutes when this happened. It took him going back to the u-23s again to recover.

I think Buckley could well dominate League One and get the crucial experience of playing against better, stronger, more experienced midfields than in the u-23s. Ready to come back in Jan and truly challenge, with a series of glittering performances added to his CV.

It's not that I doubt his ability, it's that I doubt how he will be used given our surplus of players there, and I worry it'll slow his development.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, arbitro said:

He looks a natural to me. He moves and plays like Foden and given the platform could be up there with him.

It would be folly to send him out to aid his development - that has to be done in house.

I think the Foden comparison is the most accurate, he holds on to the ball well and moves well with it.  I think he might be Dack's back up this season, he looks like he can play there well and it gives him a little less responsibility.  I think he'll do well there when he gets his chance, he doesn't need to play every week just yet.  We all know that it takes a while before TM trusts someone in the middle of the park and with Travis, Johnson and the rest I think he won't play there much, at least first half of the season.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, m1st said:

Cue, "He's one of our own!"?

Does that make him the first since Dunnie?

Well Dunny was at Burnley and Gt Harwood before us...

Edited by Mike E

3 hours ago, briansol said:

Great praise indeed! Calm down.

I keep saying it, but looking at how bloated our squad is, there is no way Buckley, JRC, Butterworth, Grayson, Magloire, Hart get anywhere near the 18 on matchday, Even Chapman & Davenport before his injury I think were struggling

The 18 save for any injuries will be made up of Walton, Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell, Armstrong, Evans, Johnson, Downing, Dack, Graham, Leutwiler, Nyambe, Williams, Travis, Rothwell, Brereton, Gallagher

If they don't move on which I highly doubt they will, I'd suggest Smallwood and Samuel will be above the young lads in the pecking order too. Theres also Nutall, but sounds like hes going out on loan and the young lad from City to factor in.

All of the above also tells me that no experienced centre half will be coming in either.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

Issue I have with the idea of sending him on loan is if we do that it's going to be league 1/2. If John Buckley was at United/City/Chelsea he'd be loaned out to a Championship side and playing most weeks - like Mason Mount, Harvey Barnes, Ben Woodburn, etc. It's as though his stature is less as he's come through our own academy. Is he really that far behind those 3?

In midfield standings I'd have Travis, Johnson, Davenport, Buckley. Get rid of Evans & Smallwood, Downing, Bennett can do a job in there if needed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I keep saying it, but looking at how bloated our squad is, there is no way Buckley, JRC, Butterworth, Grayson, Magloire, Hart get anywhere near the 18 on matchday, Even Chapman & Davenport before his injury I think were struggling

The 18 save for any injuries will be made up of Walton, Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell, Armstrong, Evans, Johnson, Downing, Dack, Graham, Leutwiler, Nyambe, Williams, Travis, Rothwell, Brereton, Gallagher

If they don't move on which I highly doubt they will, I'd suggest Smallwood and Samuel will be above the young lads in the pecking order too. Theres also Nutall, but sounds like hes going out on loan and the young lad from City to factor in.

All of the above also tells me that no experienced centre half will be coming in either.

It’s frightening how badly managed our squad is. It’s so imbalanced.

Too many of the same type of player and positions and not enough in others.

Mowbray doesn’t care about getting in defenders because he has this thing about versatility.

Bennett and Downing to cover for full back.

Nyambe and Williams (even Bell) to cover at centre back.

Gallagher and Brereton and Rothwell and Armstrong to cover on the wings.

The young lads are waiting in the wings for injury and suspensions.

Meanwhile we reward loyalty by giving players who should be on exit strategies new contracts because our wage-structure-led recruitment strategy can’t guarantee replacements - which then make them difficult to move on so they end up in and around the squad. We are paying them more than others and they need to be in the shop window for January so... 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'm going to put my tin hat on here, as I seem to be a lone voice of dissent. I do think he should go on loan, to League One, for 6 months (though I'd actually send him on a season loan, with the intent of recalling him in Jan, as I think the receiving club would be more likely to play him if they thought they'd get him all season).

Why? Despite all the rave reviews, I'm not sure I trust he will get enough game time here. We saw with another great talent in Travis how long it can take for a young lad here to get a break. And now he has Travis in his main position too, as well as Johnson. Smallwood is possibly getting marginalised now, but maybe not - however I can't see Evans being any lower than third choice. There are other more experienced heads who can play there too, and may get wedged there if the main 3/4 are out, due to possibly not fitting elsewhere in the team anymore. There is a lot of competition on the flanks too.

I think failing to get a lot of game time could really stagnate his development and hurt his confidence. As we have seen with Nuttall before, it would likely mean he didn't play for the u-23s if he was in the squad. Nuttall went backwards for a while due to too few match minutes when this happened. It took him going back to the u-23s again to recover.

I think Buckley could well dominate League One and get the crucial experience of playing against better, stronger, more experienced midfields than in the u-23s. Ready to come back in Jan and truly challenge, with a series of glittering performances added to his CV.

It's not that I doubt his ability, it's that I doubt how he will be used given our surplus of players there, and I worry it'll slow his development.

It’s a tricky one that’s for sure, league 1 development or take his opportunity, eventually, like Travis did. I would prefer to assume that cream will always rise to the top and I think that we need the “something different” that he can offer. If we do well in the league teams will start to play deeper and become difficult to break down. He could provide that guille that we might need. He might get his chance in Dack’s role when he gets tired or is ineffective. I would prefer him to stay and gradually work his way into the team and become irreplaceable like Travis. Exciting to contemplate though isn’t it. ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CD_93 said:

Yep. Tony complimentary again after Blackpool.  Says he's right in there with the first team squad so sounds like Buckley will be staying around.

Rankin Costello, too.

Latest quote from Tony when asked Who will be staying: "Buckley definetly won't be going on loan" 

Very positive, think he is close and will see plenty of game time. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

If Buckley is going to be in and around the first team then surely at least one of Evans or Smallwood needs to go? Some serious waste of resources going on if we have Travis, Johnson, Evans, Smallwood and Buckley all competing for, at most, two spots in the team. 

• Like 1

First time I've had the chance to see him in person. I watched pretty much just him for a bit. I'm not gonna lie lads, I wasn't blown away. He looked comfortable enough though, and did a few fairly nice things. Took a shot outside the box well, which I think might have been his first touch. There was a point I thought he'd foolishly played himself into trouble, but he came out the other end somehow. That bit impressed me, and actually elicited an audible 'wow'.

Looks promising for his age. I'm not expecting him to change our season just yet though.

Mowbray saying he is definitely not going on loan sounds like he might have a bit more willingness to play him than I thought. We will see, but it does make me a bit less apprehensive about the drawbacks of not loaning him.