Jump to content

Tangerines vs. Rovers - PRE SEASON - 27th July 2019


Recommended Posts

A thread for tomorrow's pre-season game against Blackpool.

Is anybody going? 

It seems tomorrow's starting lineup will likely be our starting XI against Charlton next weekend, so eyes will be on the team news at 2pm.

Walton

Bennett - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Bell

Travis - Johnson

Armstrong - Dack - Downing

Graham

Seems the likeliest team, based on those who played at Bury in mid week, though I'm sure opinions will vary.

I have fond memories of pre-season games at Bloomfield Road in the past, in particular in July 2003, when we'd just signed Brett Emerton (who scored if memory serves) though I can't find any details of it online.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would like to add a little on Mr Walton’s debut.  Most of those around me, myself included, noted the big presence of Walton when we had possession. Constant communication with the back line, off

Hope nyambe is our first choice right back, if he isn’t he’d we well within his rights to want to move on 

Bow down? No clue what you mean. It is getting a bit ridiculous though. You're not allowed to have an opinion if it's remotely critical anymore. Best have a word with the manager, who said himsel

28 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

A thread for tomorrow's pre-season game against Blackpool.

Is anybody going? 

It seems tomorrow's starting lineup will likely be our starting XI against Charlton next weekend, so eyes will be on the team news at 2pm.

Walton

Bennett - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Bell

Travis - Johnson

Armstrong - Dack - Downing

Graham

Seems the likeliest team, based on those who played at Bury in mid week, though I'm sure opinions will vary.

I have fond memories of pre-season games at Bloomfield Road in the past, in particular in July 2003, when we'd just signed Brett Emerton (who scored if memory serves) though I can't find any details of it online.

I reckon Rothwell for Armstrong come the Charlton game, but after playing 90 the last day, I think Rothwell probably won't start this one as Armstrong Needs the minutes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • J*B pinned this topic

The starting team and formation will be interesting as Mowbray himself said as we get towards the end of the pre season programme he will play what (injuries permitted) essentially will be his starting team for the league campaign.

Personally I still don't think he knows what his best team, formation and tactics are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

A thread for tomorrow's pre-season game against Blackpool.

Is anybody going? 

It seems tomorrow's starting lineup will likely be our starting XI against Charlton next weekend, so eyes will be on the team news at 2pm.

Walton

Bennett - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Bell

Travis - Johnson

Armstrong - Dack - Downing

Graham

Seems the likeliest team, based on those who played at Bury in mid week, though I'm sure opinions will vary.

I have fond memories of pre-season games at Bloomfield Road in the past, in particular in July 2003, when we'd just signed Brett Emerton (who scored if memory serves) though I can't find any details of it online.

It probably will be that line up in both the Blackpool and Charlton fixtures but not starting Rothwell is criminal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, arbitro said:

Personally I still don't think he knows what his best team, formation and tactics are.

See, In his head I'd suggest he knows exactly what his strongest team is and who is going to play where, it's just that anybody who has seen us play over the past 12 months knows it's completely wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I'd say in Mowbrays eyes that Armstrong is well ahead of Rothwell in the pecking order.

I am not so sure on that. Rothwell played every game in the last couple of months of the season (as did Armstrong). Think they will both be around the same level. 

I would personally start both Armtrong and Rothwell, but I think Mowbray will want to get Downing in the team so one will lose out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I am not so sure on that. Rothwell played every game in the last couple of months of the season (as did Armstrong). Think they will both be around the same level. 

I would personally start both Armtrong and Rothwell, but I think Mowbray will want to get Downing in the team so one will lose out.

I dunno, Rothwell was only a regular for the last 7 games, and has been very much in the "B team" lineups throughout pre season. Armstrong was a regular all season and has been with his "favoured" players throughout pre season, that's why I'd suggest that Armstrong is above Rothwell in the pecking order.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if Walton will step in right away as number one?

Mowbray’s M.O. is more about loyalty (so reward Leutwiler for his pre-season so far) and new players having to prove themselves (so 6 weeks working with Benson while he gets used to being part of “the group”).

To throw him in for his debut against Blackpool and then at Charlton is new territory for Mowbray.

I genuinely can’t believe we haven’t brought in an experienced goalkeeper if we are sticking with the same poor defence.

As Matty alluded to in another thread, it looks like we could be about to throw away another impressive attacking squad for the want of some decent defenders. Which wouldn’t be so bad if Mowbray didn’t insist on playing defensive formations (like his 2 CDMs for so long).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

Shame there's already a thread on 1st league game of season. Could have titled it Rovers v red shirted people. ?

 

could you explain your comment, it's gone over my head.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can imagine a game much more like Mansfield than Bury. I think Blackpool will try and play. It'll be a nice occasion, I'm expecting them to have more fans on for this friendly than they did last time we played them in League One, which I'm really happy for them about of course.

As much as I like Rothwell, I don't see him as a winger. I would prefer to see Rothwell and Dack play in the middle, with a holding midfielder behind them (Travis or Johnson). More like a 4-3-3 rather than a 4-2-3-. It would suit our "no striker through the middle" style with Arma, Brereton and Gallagher interchanging up top.

Link to post
Share on other sites

........................ Walton 

…..... Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew 

Bennett............................... Downing

.................. Travis Johnson........... 

.......................... Dack................. 

............ Armstrong Brereton............ 

3-1 Rovers

Brereton 

Dack

Rothwell 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

........................ Walton 

…..... Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew 

Bennett............................... Downing

.................. Travis Johnson........... 

.......................... Dack................. 

............ Armstrong Brereton............ 

3-1 Rovers

Brereton 

Dack

Rothwell 

Just a quick observation which I hadn't considered before looking ar this line up. The average age of the left sided 3 is 33, the right, 24. Probably all 3 on the right are quicker and have greater stamina too. Obviously the addition of Bell and Rothwell (who I presume is one of your subs) would counter the speed issue but would also offer more balance and options in my opinion. I don't know if this is your preferred line up or what you think it will be, but looks a worry to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame that Chapman doesn’t seem to be involved with the first team friendlies, doesn’t make too much sense to me, he was near fitness at the end of the season and had a full pre season, is he just broken?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom said:

Shame that Chapman doesn’t seem to be involved with the first team friendlies, doesn’t make too much sense to me, he was near fitness at the end of the season and had a full pre season, is he just broken?

Agreed. I think TM sees him as an impact sub. Its up to him to stay fit and take the chances he gets off the bench to force his way in. Which i think he will if he stays fit

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • J*B unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.