BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers new style of play and how we play it

I'd a formation includes Bennett as a full back or even wing back we've probably got it wrong. 

If Gally or the hapless Bereton are on the right wing we've probably got it wrong (as am aside poor Ben, he'd not up to scratch imo but stocking him on the wing is guarenteed to make it even harder for him). 

If Downing is anywhere involving a lot of running - e.g. wing back, we've probably got it wrong. 

These are all basic thoughts and not guarenteed by this pre season or speculative article but also are all possibilities. TM needs to stop tinkering with formations and just keep it simple. It probably cost us the League 1 title and anorher bout of tinkering could cost us again this season. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

really? 

clear to see as day mate at Barrow, Blackpool and Bury

Barrow, Blackpool and a completely buggered Bury...? Really chaddy, you should know better....as you always say, let's not comment now, let's wait till Charlton come to town and see how the football is with our dog awful defence 

Edited by Sparks Rover

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

I wonder if we'd look at flipping it so that the right fb attacks sometimes, with the left ticking in?

I remember being taught to imagine the back four where connected with a rope if either fullback went forwards the other three would be pulled across one position to cover the space.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rigger said:

I remember being taught to imagine the back four where connected with a rope if either fullback went forwards the other three would be pulled across one position to cover the space.

I feel like I remember being told the same. The principle of how we operated definitely was. As CB I had to cover many a full back's gallavanting runs...it's why to this day I can't stand FBs who are happy to go on a foray but don't track back with half the enthusiasm. Can end up making the CB look like a tit as he tries to handle two players.

• Like 3

On 29/07/2019 at 11:34, jim mk2 said:

Classic Mowbray, overthinking it and making a simple game more complicated than it need be.

Matt Busby understood it. Send out your best players and let them get on with it. 

Will the Rovers players understand Pep Mowbray's latest tinkering? Highly unlikely I'd say.  

Matt Busby plied his trade 60 years ago, things change. If everyone just send out their best players and let them get on with it, the team with the better players (i.e the most money) wins every time. Why not try to counteract that with a resource that doesn’t cost a penny and can move mountains if applied correctly?

• Like 4

Just now, philipl said:

“If you don’t win leagues you don’t really last because to finish mid-table won’t be enough for some people.”

why should mid table be enough? Personally I expect clubs to be the best they can be. Settling for mid table before the season starts doesn’t fit in with my ambitions for sure. Fair enough, if that’s where you finish, then it is what it is. This idea of building slowly doesn’t work because if you do manage to find a couple of gems, they won’t hang around while the club “builds”. 

We did seem to be trying to pass it around a bit more often, but with no real efficiency or purpose. And when the players realized they needed to finally create something - yep they hoofed it in the box for our big target man, who guess what - was sitting on the bench until the 66th minute. So for most of the game we pretty much willfully played with one hand tied back.

TM is a clown, and you have to be laughing if it wasn't so frustrating.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We stop playing the way we started the second half when Armstrong and Downing went off. I would have took Dack off and Bought on Brereton. Dack did nothing of note.  

He wasnt at his best, but what about that brilliant turn that was followed by a slide rule pass which Gallagher should have done far better with in the second half?

To be honest, Graham, Dack, Gallagher and Brereton are all central players, none of whom can play wide. Dack and Graham, especially Dack are the ones who you would want any chances to fall to, of that there is no doubt, with Dacks goal record it is incredibly difficult to justify taking him off when we need a goal. We could do with an alternative formation perhaps that could allow 3 of them to play central when we need a goal, but ultimately the main alternatives (diamond in midfield or wing backs) are totally unsuitable because none of our full backs can cross a ball.

I don't think Mowbray could have got his tactics any more wrong yesterday to try and force a late goal. Taking off 2 wide men who were starting to influence the game, and that nonsense with Dack central and Graham and Gallagher either side. We had our 2 main headerers of a ball out wide, and absolutely no actual width anyway. Sadly with his comments about not having strikers down the middle that he made in pre-season, I suspect that we could see repeat perfomances of that system that provided absolutely no sign of a fightback or creating a chance whatsoever.

Edited by roversfan99

On 29/07/2019 at 17:55, chaddyrovers said:

Yes Rev. Played that way at Barrow, Bury and Blackpool. 

Its something that Mowbray and his staff have been working on all pre season

What happened to the style we've been working on all preseason? It took 3 seconds to see the hoof up diagonally.....same old same old.

• Like 1

What was so frustrating about the performance on Saturday was that we seemed to throw everything away that we had worked on from pre-season. I realise that the opposition during pre-season was a waste of space, but we played 4-2-3-1 with the right midfielder playing hard right (armstrong) and Rothwell playing on the left, but tucked in. 

Then come match day, he plays downing on the right and armstrong on the left so that they are constantly cutting inside on their favoured foot and narrowing the pitch. Then the subs didnt make any sense. DG needs to start these kinds of games so that we can play through him. If he doesn't start, there is no point bringing him on as we just go diagonal. Bell should have been subbed off, Downing to left back and Rothwell on. Armstrong shouldnt have been subbed off, or if you do, then BB should have replaced him. SG should never have been playing out right either.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

What was so frustrating about the performance on Saturday was that we seemed to throw everything away that we had worked on from pre-season. I realise that the opposition during pre-season was a waste of space, but we played 4-2-3-1 with the right midfielder playing hard right (armstrong) and Rothwell playing on the left, but tucked in. 

Then come match day, he plays downing on the right and armstrong on the left so that they are constantly cutting inside on their favoured foot and narrowing the pitch. Then the subs didnt make any sense. DG needs to start these kinds of games so that we can play through him. If he doesn't start, there is no point bringing him on as we just go diagonal. Bell should have been subbed off, Downing to left back and Rothwell on. Armstrong shouldnt have been subbed off, or if you do, then BB should have replaced him. SG should never have been playing out right either.

It's classic Mowbray overthinking it and concentrating on the opposition.

I was surprised seeing Armstrong on the left too, I don't think he played there at all during pre season.

Just now, OJRovers said:

It's classic Mowbray overthinking it and concentrating on the opposition.

I was surprised seeing Armstrong on the left too, I don't think he played there at all during pre season.

He played there against Blackpool away. Gallagher played right. Dack in 10 and Graham up front. 

And against Charlton didnt over think it imo

Edited by chaddyrovers

So two games into the season and I have formed the opinion we need to find an option to play two strikers and Dack, simply because we have a lot of strikers and we need to find a way to actually use them centrally without doing totally daft things like playing Brereton on the wing.

Given the above brief all roads lead to a diamond. Can't say I am totally original, others have suggested it.

------------------------Walton

JRC---------Tosin--------Williams----Cunnigham

----------------------Johnson

----------Travis---------------Rothwell

------------------------Dack

--------Gallagher--------Armstrong

In the above Gallagher and Armstrong will need to run the channels to provide width but they do like doing that anyway. JRC and Cunningham on overlap, Dack pulling the strings, Rothwell and Travis getting up and down while Johnson sits.

Worth a try I think. We need an alternative when 4231 is not working.

• Like 3