BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Perfect example of that, against Huddersfield I think it was.

Injury time free kick just outside the area, Dack and Williams stood over it, after a few minutes of messing about, Dack side foots it straight into the middle of the wall, about chest height.

I remember thinking at the time that this was the perfect position for Mulgrew. Thinking about it, do we have any decent free kick takers right now? 

41 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If Mowbray had managed Matthaus or Zidane he'd have moved them about week in week out to accommodate others he liked.

It's getting beyond ridiculous now.

Pray to heaven we get through this season reasonably unscathed then wave bye bye in the summer. Before he spews the next budget and we kick off in front of 7k ST holders and whatever walk ons Waggot & co haven't priced out.

12k averages next season including aways, it's coming i tell you.

Unscathed, I doubt it. Unfortunately, we will go down unless a change is made.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I remember thinking at the time that this was the perfect position for Mulgrew. Thinking about it, do we have any decent free kick takers right now? 

As Mark said, it certainly ain't Dack! Seen him hit a couple now and they've been bloody awful.

On Holtby, Mowbray needs keeping away from the mic wherever possible. Just chats such rubbish.

4 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Just managing your expectations in advance of him playing LB

Many a true word spoken in jest...

Mowbray seems to want players to just be footballers. Good at everything and great at nothing.

Stop tinkering and play players where they play best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Why? Just why?

This seems a dangerous obsession. Why weaken players by taking them out of their best position?

Thinking on it,, I wonder if there is an element of I need to find a centre mid who is decent as I've dropped another clanger with Johnson. A bit like with covering up the Gally situation by shifting him wide right.

imminent sign that evans will be a regular and holtby won`t get anywhere near his best position of centre midfield,tbh he could have one leg and still contribute more than corry,mowbray must think he`s not fit enough and far to maverick,is`nt it strange that some players in the squad are,according to tony not quite fit enough yet,the mowbray scale of fitness is a complete mystery to me

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

imminent sign that evans will be a regular and holtby won`t get anywhere near his best position of centre midfield,tbh he could have one leg and still contribute more than corry,mowbray must think he`s not fit enough and far to maverick,is`nt it strange that some players in the squad are,according to tony not quite fit enough yet,the mowbray scale of fitness is a complete mystery to me

I agree on the fitness thing. Take for example Dack and Evans, who are poles apart on the ability spectrum but neither are great physically. Dack often can look done in for with 15-20 mins to go, whilst Evans is off injured more often than not. Yet both play regularly (justifiably in Dack's case) and aren't nursed at all. Similarly Lenihen seems to be another in that bracket who isn't cautiously managed, despite being very injury prone. 

Others, less favoured players, seem to just have to sneeze in the wrong place or get a dead leg, and they're out for a month. It is very odd. 

7 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Fans of other clubs were blown away jealous when we managed to snap up Holtby. Watch how he gets mis-used and mismanaged just like the rest of our talented players. Anywhere else he would be straight in the team in his best position, ala Reed at Fulham.  

He was brilliant against Huddersfield and I saw enough that day to convince me that he should be starting every match.

Problem with Holtby is he’s a 10 and the best player we had here before his arrival is a 10. 

Defenders are coming, they're tracking Bauer for 12 months.

Downing becomes available, Tony likes him so attention and budget goes that way instead.

Back to looking around, friendly agent says Gallagher is finally available at a price Rovers might afford. Tony oh i like him he's been here before, Raya money goes that way.

Meanwhile they've forgotten about Bauer and Tony decides he'll stick with what he has after Del tells him i'm your man.

Right thinks Tony that's saved a few quid in wages so i'll get a couple more mids you can't have too many of them. I can pick 2 out of 6 or 7 every match, lovely jubbly.

On it goes, scattergun.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Problem with Holtby is he’s a 10 and the best player we had here before his arrival is a 10. 

It should not be beyond the capacity of any decent nay reasonably intelligent manager to fit at least 2 very good footballers into a team/system

In the case of Tinkerman Tony, it should be a piece of piss.

The problem is to do with flair which despite what Mowbray preaches he is anti. Presently Holtby has not been fully assimilated and wanders off the blades of grass Mowbray, in his delusion of being a tactical expert, has assigned to him.

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes but surely he should have been kept for his goals and set pieces alone....the other defenders are just as crap and they don’t score goals. I’d have kept him and benched him a bit more against the better teams etc but not get shut....just another piece of bad management.

You could say the same about Del, Benno, Evans, Smallwood, etc but they are all still here and apart from Dels 2 goals a season I don’t think any of these contribute any more than Charlie would have done 

NO his first job is a defender. 

I would have show Smallwood the job aswell. 

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

No other club - not one - would have agreed to loan Mulgrew out on deadline day to a rival. 

Even if we were blessed with an array of quality defenders we would have kept him until January as backup and mainly for his set piece ability and goals.

To send him to Wigan when we did no doubt partly subsidised by ourselves was the latest in a long line of bizarre decisions made. 

Enough money to splash £7 million on Brereton but not enough to assemble a competent defence and ending up trying to save money by sending players out on deadline day.

Something rotten in the state of Denmark.

Getting rid of Mulgrew should have happened in the early summer window. He isnt good enough defensively for me. His performance against Boro.at Home was pathetic and simply not good enough. 

We need 2 new centre backs in the summer and only got 1. 

We have the money in summer or the summer before to buy a defender of quality and we didnt. Mowbray to blame..

Same for the GK situation where we need an experience keeper ended up with Walton. Didnt we try for Martinez from Arsenal on loan according to someone on here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It should not be beyond the capacity of any decent nay reasonably intelligent manager to fit at least 2 very good footballers into a team/system

The problem is to do with flair which despite what Mowbray preaches he is anti. Presently Holtby has not been fully assimilated and wanders off the blades of grass Mowbray, in his delusion of being a tactical expert, has assigned to him.

It’s quite hard to fit 2 number 10’s into the same team especially if neither are quick enough to play wide. 

31 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It's all being built around a poor defence though and behind the mask i'm sure he knows this. I think a lot of his reticence is because of this but he'll never admit it it.  He wants it robotic with only one forward running flair player at a time it seems. Hence the horrendous lack of chances created.

We'll go nowhere with that attitude.

6 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Yet he can also play anywhere in the three behind, listed as a AMC/Winger on Wiki. he started and played in the same lineup as Dack and was MOM against Huddersfield. He should be in the same team, not competing with him. They can be fluid and swap around too (though TM would hate that). Completely wasted in DMC, a position he has only played in for 10% of his career performances. 

I know who I would be starting between him and AA.

4 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

It’s quite hard to fit 2 number 10’s into the same team especially if neither are quick enough to play wide. 

Downing, Bennett, Gallagher and Brereton are far from quick either but get to play the wide positions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Hoping JRC will get his chance soon. Really looking forward to seeing him on the flanks.

Be amazed if he gets any kind of run.

He has Armstrong, Holtby, Downing, Rothwell, and probably Samuel & Brereton when fully fit ahead of him for the wide positions.

• Like 1

I know the CB issues have been highlighted, but in the modern game your full backs are so crucial in the game especially if you want to play attacking open football, which is supposedly TM style.

Just wanted to highlight 5 transfer windows in who do we have as first choice full backs? Bennett/nyambe and bell/Williams? Not going to count Cunningham as he isn't a permanent signing. 

How can that be progress? These players are just about good enough to keep us up, which is exactly where we were when TM first arrived!!

Edited by tugayislegend
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tugayislegend said:

I know the CB issues have been highlighted, but in the modern game your full backs are so crucial in the game especially if you want to play attacking open football, which is supposedly TM style.

Just wanted to highlight 5 transfer windows in who do we have as first choice full backs? Bennett/nyambe and bell/Williams? Not going to count Cunningham as he isn't a permanent signing. 

How can that be progress? These players are just about good enough to keep us up, which is exactly where we were when TM first arrived!!

But would the owners permit Mowbray to spend significant sums on a full back ?

2 hours ago, tugayislegend said:

3 of those players were bad enough to relegate us, one is asleep or looks it and one injured u.f.n.

Couldn't make that up ....

Mowbray masterclass