Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well he is right somewhat its about results not performances

Really !?!?

Try telling that to Big Sam.

A couple of my friends who are Evertonians would take Sam back in a heartbeat - they are sick and tired of the 'purist' Silva.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Yes he is such a hypocrite he is very dislikeable. Maybe Ewood has a way of doing that to people. 

Have said it before, IMO, Mowbray is not the man of integrity and loyalty that many think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mercer said:

Really !?!?

Try telling that to Big Sam.

A couple of my friends who are Evertonians would take Sam back in a heartbeat - they are sick and tired of the 'purist' Silva.

They must be different Evertonians from the ones who were sending out anti-Allardyce chants when he was their manager - a case of thinking the grass on the other side is always greener

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Sitting down here in the South of England I was out of my chair for that winning goal.

And I was out of my seat in the ground for it. but I'm getting fed up of going down in all weathers watching the manager make the same mistakes. Gallagher out wide, where he has never had an effective game. Armstrong up front on his own, where he has hardly ever had an effective game. Graham on the bench, despite the fact once again there was much better link up play when he eventually got on the pitch. 

Mowbray is stubborn and it all goes back to that quote about needing another way to play other than Graham laying it off to Dack - which was rubbish as we just needed to be able to defend.

Baring a massive change in what we have witnessed over the last 18 months, we are never going to compete for even a play off place under this manager as Mowbray cannot address the obvious defensive faults and cannot get the best out of the squad he has got. We struggled, got outplayed and should have lost against the bottom side mainly becuase of all the same faults we have shown this season. 

Therefore yes I celebrated the goal but felt veryflat at the final whistle because I'd spent 90 minutes witnessing the entire team selection and performance summing up exactly why Mowbray is failing us.

Had I sat at home and just watched the goal come in on Flashscore I would probably have been over the moon at the end.

Edited by Hasta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Backroom
6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No - Mowbray was the only good thing about the 2016-17 season - I was referring to the Coyle part of the season

So, in your own opinion, Mowbray is currently overseeing the 2nd worst season in about 40 years. 

Yet, you still think he's the right man for the job and better than any other manager that could be appointed.

And you think a lot of us need to get "a sense of perspective". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Silas said:

So, in your own opinion, Mowbray is currently overseeing the 2nd worst season in about 40 years. 

Yet, you still think he's the right man for the job and better than any other manager that could be appointed.

And you think a lot of us need to get "a sense of perspective". 

I don't think he is better than any manager that "could" be appointed. I think there is a significant likelihood that he is better than any manager that "would" be appointed by the present owners.

I don't think we will be relegated under Mowbray - not this season anyway. This is probably going to be a poor, disappointing and dull season. Of the 20 or so seasons spent in this division in the last 40 years it is clearly one of the less enjoyable but it happens - I don't think it will be disaster.

The "perspective" I referred to was that I don't really believe that late winning goals "mean nothing " to football supporters 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Mowbray's comments in the recent LT article were interesting (mostly infuriating). Bennett plays all the time because of his work rate etc. Similar qualities quoted in regards to Travis, except for him he couldn't help but throw a negative in there. He gives the ball away too much.

Lewis Travis passing percentage, 84.

Bennett's 74.

Yes, stats don't tell the whole story. Sometimes Trav gives it away at frustrating times. But from personal observation, Bennett does that a lot more. Why slag off the youngster who is clearly performing better and not the seasoned pro who should know better?

I can't understand his obsession with criticising the youngsters in public.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thing he said in that interview was that Gallagher has missed out on some of his footballing education as a striker, due to going back to Southampton, playing in the reserves etc. So what does he do in the next game? Starts him wide again.

Another odd obsession, teaching young strikers to play striker by punting them wide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bluebruce said:

I thought Mowbray's comments in the recent LT article were interesting (mostly infuriating). Bennett plays all the time because of his work rate etc. Similar qualities quoted in regards to Travis, except for him he couldn't help but throw a negative in there. He gives the ball away too much.

Lewis Travis passing percentage, 84.

Bennett's 74.

Yes, stats don't tell the whole story. Sometimes Trav gives it away at frustrating times. But from personal observation, Bennett does that a lot more. Why slag off the youngster who is clearly performing better and not the seasoned pro who should know better?

I can't understand his obsession with criticising the youngsters in public.

The older players have less opportunities (see the Keogh v Lawrence/Bennett situation) so when they get one they want to keep it. He would probably benefit from keeping those players (‘The Group’) onside so that they back him and influence the younger players.

These are also the demographic of players who would go to the senior management to complain and try to get a manager potted (see Mourinho at Chelsea).

Pure conjecture, of course, but could this be what happened with Mulgrew...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't think he is better than any manager that "could" be appointed. I think there is a significant likelihood that he is better than any manager that "would" be appointed by the present owners.

I don't think we will be relegated under Mowbray - not this season anyway. This is probably going to be a poor, disappointing and dull season. Of the 20 or so seasons spent in this division in the last 40 years it is clearly one of the less enjoyable but it happens - I don't think it will be disaster.

The "perspective" I referred to was that I don't really believe that late winning goals "mean nothing " to football supporters 

Since certain overt agents left the club, and Bowyer steadied things while the boardroom war ended, Venkys have consistently employed managers with Championship promotion on their CV - including Mowbray.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't think he is better than any manager that "could" be appointed. I think there is a significant likelihood that he is better than any manager that "would" be appointed by the present owners.

I don't think we will be relegated under Mowbray - not this season anyway. This is probably going to be a poor, disappointing and dull season. Of the 20 or so seasons spent in this division in the last 40 years it is clearly one of the less enjoyable but it happens - I don't think it will be disaster.

The "perspective" I referred to was that I don't really believe that late winning goals "mean nothing " to football supporters 

So in essence you are saying that Mowbray should be here for the duration of Venkys tenure (however long that may be) because you don't trust them to appoint somebody better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes - you are right but even then they were able to pick Coyle over Warnock

££££ v £ I’m afraid. They seem to have to learn everything the hard way. You’d have thought they’d have learned from the same scenario between Allardyce and Kean.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do find it really strange that people cant enjoy a late winner at Ewood. For a start, he wouldnt have been sacked regardless of the result. I am very much in the Mowbray out crowd and wasnt impressed by the performance at all, with predictable shite performances of Walton, Gallagher, Armstrong, Bennett and Bell never ceasing to amaze. But I was still elated when Dack put in the winner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Totally agree, Stuart. Unfortunately, do we really think they will learn ?

Depends who you talk to. Some think that we should forgive them and trust them.

At the end of the day, if we still believe that this is a football club and still pay to watch then we should still be able to demand that the manager is held accountable for failure.

I cannot and will not accept the argument of sticking with mediocrity and failure “just in case” the next manager “could” be worse. They also “could” be better. Lambert was better than Bowyer. Mowbray was better than Coyle. But every manager has a shelf life.

Mowbray is the 10th longest serving EFL manager, and 2nd longest Championship one, despite having been relegated during that time and having the worst run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

I do find it really strange that people cant enjoy a late winner at Ewood. For a start, he wouldnt have been sacked regardless of the result. I am very much in the Mowbray out crowd and wasnt impressed by the performance at all, with predictable shite performances of Walton, Gallagher, Armstrong, Bennett and Bell never ceasing to amaze. But I was still elated when Dack put in the winner.

It’s not a choice people consciously make.

I wish I was bouncing around uncontrollably at full time but i just wasn’t today.

Maybe it’s me and I’ve just fallen out of love with football a bit, but none of that is a conscious effort.

Edited by Tom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tom said:

It’s not a choice people consciously make.

I wish I was bouncing around uncontrollably at full time but i just wasn’t today.

Maybe it’s me and I’ve just fallen out of love with football a bit, but none of that is a conscious effort.

Thats unfortunate, I can understand the belief that our season is fizzling out, if youve fallen out of love with football then that is unfortunate but I think many are over simplifying it by suggesting that we either win or Mowbray goes. I want him gone but I still love a late winner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I think then that your logic is skewed. Taking it a step further should they not have sacked Coyle using your logic?

No - I didn't quite mean that. I don't want Mowbray fired under the present owners because I don't think Mowbray is going to relegate us and their new pick might well do based on the quality of some of their previous decisions. In contrast it was clear to all of us from a long way out that Coyle was going to relegate us and so there was no downside in moving him out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The play offs were introduced for the end of the 1986-87 season so I don't think what you are saying is quite right.

Nowhere do I say that I am happy with where we are. My original post today was in response to a supporter's claim that he was unmoved by us winning today's game with a late goal. I just find it hard to believe that a football supporter really thinks like that. Sitting down here in the South of England I was out of my chair for that winning goal.

i was out of the ground heading for my car disgusted with the non performance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.