BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

The following six games take us to Christmas. Two Q's to answer in your own opinion:

1) How many points do we get out of a possible 18?
2) Which game does Tony Mowbray last until?

Brentford (H) - 0pts
Stoke City (A) - 1pt
Derby County (H) - 3pts
Swansea City (A) - 0pts
Bristol City (A) - 0pts
Wigan Athletic (H) - 3pts

I've put my predictions alongside the fixtures. 

Optimistic 

Tony has these unexpected wins every so often and sometime he puts a run together but then we sink back into mediocrity and bad performances / selctions/ results just when everyone gets their hopes up. 

Fans saying we're "only" 6 points off 6th place tonight. 

Prepare for more disappointment. Long term he's not the answer

• Like 8

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Tony has these unexpected wins every so often and sometime he puts a run together but then we sink back into mediocrity and bad performances / selctions/ results just when everyone gets their hopes up. 

Fans saying we're "only" 6 points off 6th place tonight. 

Prepare for more disappointment. Long term he's not the answer

Archetypal mid-table team IMO: some good runs, some bad runs, a lot of inconsistent players and a mediocre manager.

• Like 4

• Backroom

We've been here before, so many times. I'd like to think TM will finally realise what's been going wrong and push on from here, but I've had that hope before and it never lasts. It still wouldn't surprise me if Rothwell was dropped on Saturday and Bell was back in the team. 

• Like 1

I've never felt Mowbray was under any real pressure - apart from the pressure that he puts on himself to do well.  He has the support of Mrs Desai - which is always going to be the most crucial element.  These two wins have taken us well clear of the relegation places and still within touching distance of the play-offs.  I certainly wouldn't expect there to be any change of management as mid to lower mid-table seems likely to be the worst case scenario this season.  Personally, I fully expect Mowbray to be here next season. 

• Like 1

I'll stand firm on my wishes and expectations, a stodgy up and down winter then the usual decent last third to the season. Hopefully a few local scalps and a good cup run.  Safe midtable finish then a revamp in summer and a thanks very much Tony, have a rest then we wish you well in your next job.

9 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I've never felt Mowbray was under any real pressure - apart from the pressure that he puts on himself to do well.  He has the support of Mrs Desai - which is always going to be the most crucial element.  These two wins have taken us well clear of the relegation places and still within touching distance of the play-offs.  I certainly wouldn't expect there to be any change of management as mid to lower mid-table seems likely to be the worst case scenario this season.  Personally, I fully expect Mowbray to be here next season. 

edit---crap post from me!

Edited by 47er

48 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

So more midtable medicrity Parson?

Is that the best we can do ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

What a thoroughly depressing prospect. 

I do agree with your post though unfortunately apart from the fact that I would say mid to lower mid table will be the best rather than the worst case scenario this season and it will be for as long as Mowbray is in charge as well.

Either way, since when did anyone become happy with that rather than challenging for promotion if you're in the Football League or playing entertaining stuff and winning  the odd bit of silverware if you're in the Premier League? 

5 hours ago, 47er said:

Chaddy----you "liked" this post, you swinging again? Thought you wanted him out?

Tbf, there was nothing in Parson’s post that supported Mowbray, just what he expected to happen.

Having got up hope that Mowbray was finally going to admit that the challenge was too big for him, we are now back to square one. Instead we can expect lots more sound bites from all at Rovers about what a small club we are so as to make Tony’s endeavours seem like over-achievement with our small-town-small-time-tin-pot club.

7 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I've never felt Mowbray was under any real pressure - apart from the pressure that he puts on himself to do well.  He has the support of Mrs Desai - which is always going to be the most crucial element.  These two wins have taken us well clear of the relegation places and still within touching distance of the play-offs.  I certainly wouldn't expect there to be any change of management as mid to lower mid-table seems likely to be the worst case scenario this season.  Personally,I fully expect Mowbray to be here next Season.

Deep down are you happy with that Parsons,does the thought of another mediocre mid table bore fest enthuse you?

We need promotion,most know we will not achieve with him at the helm.

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed the game against Brentford, plenty of effort, chances created and a classy winning goal scored, what's not to like.

However Mowbray should put the following in his notebook, "I must remember not to change this team". If he does he's crazy.

Remember if it's not broke don't fix it.

• Like 1

Expecting the stubborn old mule to abandon his ways is naive. We're a midtable team with a midtable manager. A few bad results and we're drawn into a relegation scrap but we've enough quality to get back to that midtable cushion. Lose players like Dack or Rothwell and it's a different story.

He hasn't lost the dressing room. Is that because the players believe in him or because of the holiday camp setup? Things were cushy under Bowyer, who shared Mowbray's knack of pulling results out the bag but couldn't make the most of the talent at his disposal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

So more midtable medicrity Parson?

Is that the best we can do ?

I fully expected midtable this season and if, and it's a big if, we produce more performances like last night I would expect that to be where we finish.  I suspect that will be good enough for the owners this season.  Next season they may demand the play-offs and I suspect he will be given the opportunity to show whether or not he can achieve that.

After all the managers that the owners have been through I believe that they have found someone in Mowbray who they see as a safe pair of hands and someone who they finally trust.

Whether that translates into a promotion challenging team is another matter altogether.

He's a bit of a streaky manager. Seems like we are either pulling out back to back wins or on a losing streak where we can't buy a point.

Inconsistent over the season though, not going to be enough for any real promotion push.

You want last night to be a watershed moment for him but it won't be. 

Felt like we abandoned his footballing philosophy, put players (near enough) in their correct positions, had pace on the flanks and a target up front.

We pressed Brentford well and got the ball up field as quickly as possible. It's the tactics that work for the players we have and he needs to stick with it.

Puts Gallagher and Brereton back in the spot light though, as it doesn't suit either of them very well.

I think we are giving the owners an enormous slice of the benefit of the doubt if we say they are invested in some sort of project, have targets and are monitoring Mowbray's progress and have expectations he has to deliver on.

Reading between the lines the only pressure Mowbray is under is from himself and the fans and perceived pressure from upstairs which probably never manifests itself into anything but rumours.

Personally I think it is clear Venkys like him and that's all there is to it. As long as they continue to like him and trust him then he will be safe. I think they would sit back and allow relegation before making a change or at least let things get to a point of no return like when Coyle was here.

I doubt they knew we were playing last night and probably won't even think about Rovers until Mowbray next makes the effort to fly to their house and force them to talk about things.

At least this time around we've actually got a manager who can be trusted in place although anyone hoping that there is some sort of conventional structure here and a review after results I think are wrong. 

• Like 3

Just now, davulsukur said:

He's a bit of a streaky manager. Seems like we are either pulling out back to back wins or on a losing streak where we can't buy a point.

Inconsistent over the season though, not going to be enough for any real promotion push.

You want last night to be a watershed moment for him but it won't be. 

Felt like we abandoned his footballing philosophy, put players (near enough) in their correct positions, had pace on the flanks and a target up front.

We pressed Brentford well and got the ball up field as quickly as possible. It's the tactics that work for the players we have and he needs to stick with it.

Puts Gallagher and Brereton back in the spot light though, as it doesn't suit either of them very well.

Fans said Downing could do a job at left-back.

Fans said Armstrong is never a centre-forward.

Fans said Nyambe is a better RB than Bennett.

Fans said Rothwell deserves to start more games.

Fans said Graham is our best striker at the club.

Why is the manager only cottoning on to what the average joe has been saying for months?

• Like 5

Just now, Amo said:

Fans said Downing could do a job at left-back.

Fans said Armstrong is never a centre-forward.

Fans said Nyambe is a better RB than Bennett.

Fans said Rothwell deserves to start more games.

Fans said Graham is our best striker at the club.

Why is the manager only cottoning on to what the average joe has been saying for months?

The best thing is, you just know it will be all change again at the weekend.

• Like 2