BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

No chance...only the ones who’ve come from the Prem will be even close. Interesting timing in getting it out though. Will certainly attract players. Was sent to me by an ex player into a WhatsApp group with four others who are still in football and some of them couldn’t believe the set up. Th

Who wouldn’t want to work there right? ?

Out of curiosity, what is your job, presumably within football?

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Out of curiosity, what is your job, presumably within football?

No mate, nothing to do with football. I played (quite badly) as a young lad. But a lot of the lads who I played with went on to have decent careers. Some excellent careers....all retired now but most still involved as league scouts, coaches and a couple as managers.

A couple of them were blown away by the standard of our facilities. Wasn’t expected. I’m even more convinced than ever that video has been released to attract potential players you know...it’s very impressive that.

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

No mate, nothing to do with football. I played (quite badly) as a young lad. But a lot of the lads who I played with went on to have decent careers. Some excellent careers....all retired now but most still involved as league scouts, coaches and a couple as managers.

A couple of them were blown away by the standard of our facilities. Wasn’t expected. I’m even more convinced than ever that video has been released to attract potential players you know...it’s very impressive that.

I agree its impressive set up and very forward thinking. 

Can you tell us any people you played with who gone on to have good careers? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I agree its impressive set up and very forward thinking. 

Can you tell us any people you played with who gone on to have good careers? 

I’d prefer not to name them mate. They’re my friends ultimately. I’d imagine you probably already have an idea of a couple of them Chaddy...

34 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

When it's your place of work obviously good conditions make a massive difference. I see Rochdale training in public on what are Lacrosse pitches near the cricket ground. If you know Rochdale at all they're on what were the old Redbrook school playing fields quite near what's called " The Crown Oil Arena these days. They can walk from the ground to the training pitches in 5 minutes and the younger players do sometimes.

• Like 1

Great video. Certainly a touch of propaganda to it (haha), but also does highlight that there has continued to be proper investment in the facilities. And a cheeky insight on some inside knowledge (Gladwin at the top of 'hamstring strength' - I suppose he's had nothing to do but build strength!)

Interesting 'stats wall', including tracking the xG of each shot. Probably tips off the coaching staff that we have been a bit 'lucky' this year (the latest xG table has us in 18th place: https://experimental361.com/2019/12/21/expected-goals-table-championship-20-23-dec-2019/...)

Curious who 'Sabrina' is: Sabrina Gabriella. Looks to be our main analytics analyst hired this summer, who previously worked at Spurs and Man U. (Looks to be Rachel Hindle operating the drone). Maybe she's brought some PL knowhow to our approach to 'advanced' stats. Definitely seems we've got top IT too.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Curious who 'Sabrina' is: Sabrina Gabriella. Looks to be our main analytics analyst hired this summer, who previously worked at Spurs and Man U. (Looks to be Rachel Hindle operating the drone). Maybe she's brought some PL knowhow to our approach to 'advanced' stats. Definitely seems we've got top IT too

According to Rovers website 

Stewart Heppinstall
Head of Performance Analysis

Bruno Reis
Performance Analyst

Rachel Hindle
First Team Performance Analyst

So its appears we changed this analyst staff cos we had Chris Nix and Anthony Bates working has head of performance analysis and performance analyst 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

According to Rovers website 

Stewart Heppinstall
Head of Performance Analysis

Bruno Reis
Performance Analyst

Rachel Hindle
First Team Performance Analyst

So its appears we changed this analyst staff cos we had Chris Nix and Anthony Bates working has head of performance analysis and performance analyst 

Ah yes, should add I picked up the Sabrina hire via her linkedin page! So I suppose it's a combo of those four.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2019 at 18:52, Paul Mani said:

That was actually really interesting. Cheers for sharing.

What I would say though is that given the level of detail they appear to go into for individual performances, some of the same players keep being selected game after game.

Apart from that it seems that the club are trying to use the available technology to get players ready for games. We have a great asset in Brockhall and we need to get the right players in there if we are to benefit.

• Like 4

So returning to what this message board is criticised for has being hysterical.

I watched Souness 2000 rovers play in this division with pace with aggression with purpose.

No matter what side off the equation your on sack or stay the two are incomparable. You can mark this team out of a game without trying. Poor movement and passing interchange. No running off the ball or from deep. 

Teams are a reflection of their manager and his philosophy. 

The players are happy because it appears non competitive “everyone gets a game”

Bells crap but a few weeks out of the supporters view then they can be slipped back in. Bennett back now for a run. Change the team keep um happy not my team the dressing rooms. 

We’re on a winning run. I hope I’m wrong because I love rovers but it’s transitional to the prelude of the losing streak. 

So I’ll go now with my view. The line below sums him up. 

Mowbrays latest the team are  “emotionally scared by dacks injury” . 

We will never be promoted or top six has long has this fella is in charge. Not hard enough to lead but emotional enough to ignore players if you object to his ideas or question him. He’s a if I like you sort of manager rather than let’s get this job done even though I can’t stand you.

The average timespan for a football manager is 3 years and regardless that clocks ticking.

PS Has a disclaimer 

I have never been in the teams dressing room

I have never had any experience of Mowbray management skills

To conclude his idea of football is just dead shite

• Like 8

Just now, Boroblue said:

I watched Souness 2000 rovers play in this division with pace with aggression with purpose.

No matter what side off the equation your on sack or stay the two are incomparable. You can mark this team out of a game without trying. Poor movement and passing interchange. No running off the ball or from deep. 

Bells crap but a few weeks out of the supporters view then they can be slipped back in. Bennett back now for a run. Change the team keep um happy not my team the dressing rooms. 

We’re on a winning run. I hope I’m wrong because I love rovers but it’s transitional to the prelude of the losing streak. 

We will never be promoted or top six has long has this fella is in charge. Not hard enough to lead but emotional enough to ignore players if you object to his ideas or question him. He’s a if I like you sort of manager rather than let’s get this job done even though I can’t stand you.

The average timespan for a football manager is 3 years and regardless that clocks ticking.

PS Has a disclaimer 

Good post, this team are genuinely a reflection of the gaffer as are his signings.  Honest, humble, usually hard working but happy to coast and seek out the comfort zone again after every 'fans about to turn' kick up the jacksy.  Capable of good stuff but in the main dull, uninspiring and drifting.

Shame because the squad is slightly above average overall i feel but needs a lot of direction and drive to keep it on its toes.

Just now, Boroblue said:

PS Has a disclaimer 

The average life span of a manager is far less than three years. More like less than 18 months.

Mowbray is the 15th longest serving manager in England; 7th in the top two divisions; 2nd in the Championship.

All of the other managers are performing at a level at or above that expected or required.

It’s arguable whether Rovers are where they ought to be, depending on whether one agrees with Mowbray’s assessment that we are only just over a year out of L1, or whether we should be a lower to mid-PL side (like Burnley) but for the idiots from Pune.

Just now, tomphil said:

Good post, this team are genuinely a reflection of the gaffer as are his signings.  Honest, humble, usually hard working but happy to coast and seek out the comfort zone again after every 'fans about to turn' kick up the jacksy.  Capable of good stuff but in the main dull, uninspiring and drifting.

Shame because the squad is slightly above average overall i feel but needs a lot of direction and drive to keep it on its toes.

I would accept being a good team in a great league or a minnow punching above its weight. He just talks rubbish and even that I could accept but we are .................... ( not swear words but just repetitious)

Just now, Stuart said:

The average life span of a manager is far less than three years. More like less than 18 months.

Mowbray is the 15th longest serving manager in England; 7th in the top two divisions; 2nd in the Championship.

All of the other managers are performing at a level at or above that expected or required.

It’s arguable whether Rovers are where they ought to be, depending on whether one agrees with Mowbray’s assessment that we are only just over a year out of L1, or whether we should be a lower to mid-PL side (like Burnley) but for the idiots from Pune.

I believe in this league managers change games. It’s not where you ought to be it’s where you believe you should be. Now that is the managers job. Mowbray?

Just now, Boroblue said:

I believe in this league managers change games. It’s not where you ought to be it’s where you believe you should be. Now that is the managers job. Mowbray?

Managers certainly change games and I firmly believe that in the Championship the approach taken by the manager is the difference. It’s such a tight division that belief can give you the momentum required - even with inferior players. In my view, Mowbray doesn’t have a coherent plan, not for matches anyway.

I can’t work out if the brains behind the new high tech Brockhall is Mowbray or Johnson but whomever it is, they need to be DoF planning for the long-term. Meanwhile, we need a manager who can get the best out of his squad by making a first team place something to be earned (and lost) through form rather than to try to give everyone game time.

Just now, Stuart said:

Managers certainly change games and I firmly believe that in the Championship the approach taken by the manager is the difference. It’s such a tight division that belief can give you the momentum required - even with inferior players. In my view, Mowbray doesn’t have a coherent plan, not for matches anyway.

I can’t work out if the brains behind the new high tech Brockhall is Mowbray or Johnson but whomever it is, they need to be DoF planning for the long-term. Meanwhile, we need a manager who can get the best out of his squad by making a first team place something to be earned (and lost) through form rather than to try to give everyone game time.

I watched two strikingly different interviews with him in the last week that in my mind added to the thinking he should be DoF.

Pre Wigan when he was dour as ever building them up the moaning how hard his job was leaving out players who'd worked hard all week. So much so they cut him off mid sentence which was ignorant but probably understandable. This was pre game and it was very uninspirational and more like preparing us for the unambitious grind to come.

Then the stuff on the video from behind the scenes where he seems bright eyed, clear talking and almost excited by it all.  As well as very knowledgeable and clear about what they are doing.

To me his real strengths lie behind the scenes in the bigger picture he's too much of a players man to do anything more than keep us ticking over.  Not a bad thing but we/he have had a real chance to kick on this season and the form, signings and tactics don't reflect that quite enough for me.  A few weeks ago it did but a few weeks before that we were going backwards, now we might have found middle ground which will probably be drawing every week like under Bowyer. 

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

I watched two strikingly different interviews with him in the last week that in my mind added to the thinking he should be DoF.

Pre Wigan when he was dour as ever building them up the moaning how hard his job was leaving out players who'd worked hard all week. So much so they cut him off mid sentence which was ignorant but probably understandable. This was pre game and it was very uninspirational and more like preparing us for the unambitious grind to come.

Then the stuff on the video from behind the scenes where he seems bright eyed, clear talking and almost excited by it all.  As well as very knowledgeable and clear about what they are doing.

To me his real strengths lie behind the scenes in the bigger picture he's too much of a players man to do anything more than keep us ticking over.  Not a bad thing but we/he have had a real chance to kick on this season and the form, signings and tactics don't reflect that quite enough for me.  A few weeks ago it did but a few weeks before that we were going backwards, now we might have found middle ground which will probably be drawing every week like under Bowyer. 

This conversation about promoting “tony Mowbray he’s a football football genius” has been had during previous long losing streaks. Your suggestion of Dof fell under the peter principal namely “percussive sublimation” or commonly known has kicked upstairs because they are crap in their current job find a new higher job that has less responsibility and organisational damage without actually firing them.

Im not anti this

Just now, Boroblue said:

This conversation about promoting “tony Mowbray he’s a football football genius” has been had during previous long losing streaks. Your suggestion of Dof fell under the peter principal namely “percussive sublimation” or commonly known has kicked upstairs because they are crap in their current job find a new higher job that has less responsibility and organisational damage without actually firing them.

Im not anti this

No i genuinely believe he has something to offer that role 'if' he has been as involved with some of the rebuilding behind the scenes as he gets credit for.

We are in danger of becoming too focused on that i fear at times when all the focus should be on the best first team 11. 

Wherever we finish this season i'll still to my original thoughts that we must change manager at the end of the season to try and progress. I don't see them wanting to let him go so the next best thing is move him into an in house role overseeing stats etc and the football depts. Could even be a player welfare officer or something as well.

Shame to waste his experience and familiarity with the workings of the club and owners but as first team manager he'll always be a 1 step forward 1 step back type.  

Just now, tomphil said:

No i genuinely believe he has something to offer that role 'if' he has been as involved with some of the rebuilding behind the scenes as he gets credit for.

We are in danger of becoming too focused on that i fear at times when all the focus should be on the best first team 11. 

Wherever we finish this season i'll still to my original thoughts that we must change manager at the end of the season to try and progress. I don't see them wanting to let him go so the next best thing is move him into an in house role overseeing stats etc and the football depts. Could even be a player welfare officer or something as well.

Shame to waste his experience and familiarity with the workings of the club and owners but as first team manager he'll always be a 1 step forward 1 step back type.  

Sorry Tomphil I was not nor would I ever be critical of your opinion. 

You are making a long term strategic appreciation of the situation where to be honest I’m really just pissed by the shit I’m watching. So my observation was aimed at Mowbray not your analysis.

Yes he does has strengths that could be better focused but for me away from the first team but that’s just my opinion.

• Like 1